Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

New User

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby New User » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:21 pm UTC

Ryan123 wrote:Kind of a long shot but does anyone know of a realistic nuclear war game from the (original) Nintendo Era.

Background: I think that I played it actually on the computer with an emulator.
System: Don't know.
Perspective: None besides a bunch of "drop downs". There wasn't a whole lot of options beside selecting your target and weapon type.
Art Style: Raster graphics, not text based - mouse driven.
Environment: Bunker.
Mood: Nuclear.
Genre: Single Player.
Gameplay: Select your target and weapon type and press launch or something to that order. No politics, or chatting back and forth, just nukes.

There was actually a really inclusive amount of realistic targets.

When did you play this game? If you used your mouse to control the game, it probably wasn't played in any home console emulator, but maybe you played it in a Commodore 64 or Apple II emulator.

It sounds like it's inspired by the fictional game Global Thermonuclear War from the 1983 film WarGames.

I see that there was a game based on the film, the game was called WarGames. But Wikipedia says in that game the player defends the USA from a nuclear attack in real time, instead of choosing targets like you described.

DEFCON from 2006 was inspired by the same concept, but the gameplay is deeper than just choosing your target like you described. I played it a long time ago, and I recall that you have to deploy your submarines and make a few other tactical decisions before the nuclear strike begins.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:42 pm UTC

Bravo Romeo Delta?

<Edit> I'll try and add in a link to a good explanation later; wiki doesn't seem to note it and I don't want to browse games sites, especially abandonware, from work. </Edit>
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:07 pm UTC

North Atlantic '86?
North Atlantic 86 Uncolored.png
North Atlantic 86 Uncolored.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 5172 times

Released it for Macintosh (above) and Apple II (with color).

Found Global Thermonuclear War also, as previously mentioned.
Global Thermonuclear War.png
Global Thermonuclear War.png (4.15 KiB) Viewed 5172 times
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Ryan123

Postby Ryan123 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:28 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:Bravo Romeo Delta?

<Edit> I'll try and add in a link to a good explanation later; wiki doesn't seem to note it and I don't want to browse games sites, especially abandonware, from work. </Edit>

Yep this is what I am looking for. Turns out its a DOS game from 1995 - hence me thinking it was an emulator. If you do a search for "homeoftheunderdogs Bravo Romeo Delta" it will take you to a description. Thanks!

Snafkin

Postby Snafkin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:12 am UTC

Hi guys, I am dying to find this game. :( I'll provide as much info as possible. So you can ask for more. And I know it would be hell of a riddle to find that game but... I can try.

* Background:
* System: PC
* Year: year of production has to be somewhere between 2000-2010
* Perspective: 2D
* Art style: Anime style
* Environment: The main character was in orphange and it was a girl (orphan) with pink hair reaching her shoulder or so, about or exactly 18 years old. The game involved dungeons. I recall having a sword but also it being rare. I think fighting wasn't the main thing.
* Mood: I remember there was a thing of trying not to starve and die due to that. Also there were plenty/several jobs that the girl could work. I remember picking the nice and pleasant ones.
* Genre: Visual Novel
* Gameplay: as every visual novel. The game had multiple endings (more than 10 I believe) depending on what work the girl choose. The plot was about the girl being in an orphanage and she could stay there for two years or so. So she had to find a job in order to move from that orphanage.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:09 pm UTC

Snafkin

Postby Snafkin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:53 pm UTC

It is not that game. Here a king has his daughter doing something but the character from "my" game was an orphan. However, I !really! appreciate your help and best will. :)
Well... today I remembered that there were nuns who were taking care of that main character orphan girl.

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:47 pm UTC

Snafkin

Postby Snafkin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:42 pm UTC

Amazing! This is it. :D I owe you the big one. I thought it would be impossible to find the game. Thank you very much :D :D

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:22 am UTC

* Background: I played it at my aunts house quite a few years ago. I was like ten, so that was 12 years.
* System: PC
* Year: Don't know
* Perspective: 3rd person
* Art style: I think it was a bit cartoon-like
* Environment: Mostly outdoors but one location was indoors.
* Mood: It's... I don't know. It was goofy and stupid and weird.
* Genre: Bowling, I guess.
* Gameplay: It was a bowling game but different. When the level starts it shows a bowling ball on the floor and you were the ball. To move the ball, you just move the mouse into the direction you wanted to go. If you wanted, you could stop in the middle of the lane and go all the way back to the line. There was a time limit too. As far as I played, the first level was a bowling alley and everything after that was outdoors. Also there was a mechanic that if you rolled onto a flower, it would make you jump.

I just had no idea how to begin looking for it. I tried but couldn't find it.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:53 am UTC

Hyperbowl or RocketBowl?

Party Bowling?
Party Bowling.png
Party Bowling.png (119.83 KiB) Viewed 5024 times

Fox Kids Kinder Spiele: Volume 2? (Linked the first collection. Assumes similar styles.) Back box art below.
Kinder Spiele.jpg

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:35 am UTC

None of those were it but the first one was very close

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:12 am UTC

Does Neverball stray too far? Found a list of largely interchangeable games, if not. (Already checked out Bowling. Feel free to look further.)

Notes these to be incomplete, however. Failed to show Tropix 2, despite having a (normal) bowling minigame.

Question: Was the ball a bowling ball, or possibly something else? Asks in hope of theme. Might have been tropical. Controls a coconut instead. Appears quite similar.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:58 pm UTC

Aha! It was HyperBowl. The video you linked to didn't have anything that seemed familiar. But I looked it up because the description and everything seemed right. I found this video and it is what I remember (except I was on an actual computer back in '01). Apparently it was a re-release of an actual arcade game special for "Microsoft Plus!" It makes sense as I played on a Win XP system.

puppysized

Postby puppysized » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:17 am UTC

My friend told me about this game today but I promptly forgot the name of it. It's about an artist who is obsessed with his paintings, and so his wife commits suicide because he never pays attention to her. He tries to make the perfect painting of her, but fails at it, and gradually goes insane. It sounded really interesting, does anyone know what it is?

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:37 am UTC

puppysized

Postby puppysized » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:19 am UTC

yesyesyes! Thank you :D

seo11

Postby seo11 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:45 am UTC

Hello i can't find a building strategy game i saw a friend play in late 90s (i don't know game's year) and i remember that it had monsters like Tremors that they seem like electricity in the ground before they eat your units and you could train special units that could drive them away from you base.. can anyone save me plz i really want to play it and this drives me crazy i tried to search in google but i only find off the topic results...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:02 pm UTC

seo11 wrote:Hello i can't find a building strategy game i saw a friend play in late 90s (i don't know game's year) and i remember that it had monsters like Tremors that they seem like electricity in the ground before they eat your units and you could train special units that could drive them away from you base.. can anyone save me plz i really want to play it and this drives me crazy i tried to search in google but i only find off the topic results...

Dune 2?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:57 am UTC

Hello, I'm trying to find a game which I remember seeing a friend play, so I may not know enough about it.

* System: PC, web browser
* Year: Possibly early 2000s
* Perspective: Text on web pages
* Environment: I remember large emphasis on magic.
* Genre: Multiplayer. Text based.
* Gameplay: I think you log onto a website every day and you have a wizard cast magic and somehow interact with a larger community. I think the gameplay was something like Utopia.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:19 am UTC

Mythea, Orkfia: Alliances at War, or Ambar – War of the Elementals?

Edit: Ambar screenshot. Enlarged it. Saw nothing else.
Ambar.png
Ambar.png (66.55 KiB) Viewed 4203 times

theNinjafemme

Postby theNinjafemme » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:01 am UTC

samthetrue wrote:Hello all...

So I'm looking for a caveman game. I personally can't remember much, other then wandering around searching for water. You could craft flint into hatchets and spears.

In my searches, I found someone else looking for the game, and they described it quite accurately, as follows:

I'm looking for a game I played 10-15 years ago, on either Windows 95 or 98. It came on one of those "500 games on one disk" things you used to get for 10 bucks at Wal-Mart.

Basically you were a Caveman that got sent away from the tribe with some Jerky, A water skin, and some flint or something. You made Hatchets and Spears (Although the game called the spear aseigi or something.) and more or less wandered around fighting tigers and looking for water.

I remember it because it costed like 10 bucks and I couldn't get my parents to spring for the registration so I could play the whole thing. Pretty sure it's gonna be impossible to find, and come to think of it, it might have been Windows 3.1 I'd still like to find it again though if anyone can remember it.

I honestly don't remember it that well. It was for the PC, and I only had the trial version. I want to find it again because I never got the satisfaction of doing well at it, and it has bugged me for years.

Does anyone know this game?

Did you ever find out what game this was? I played this as well at my friend's house and was hooked on it but never did remember the title. I've been wanting to play it again for awhile.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:09 pm UTC

Caveman 1.3? Suggested it several posts later. Cannot provide video or screenshots, unfortunately.

Ashortdude

Postby Ashortdude » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:47 pm UTC

alright, here's what I remember.

-it was an online multiplayer (could be played offline) sandbox fps pc game

-I played it around 2008-2010

-you could play three different characters; a master chief lookin fellow, a goblin, and I believe a pig

-the world could be built in a sorta minecrafty way...kinda. You would select a cubed area of any dimension, and then scroll up or down to build in or out. Also the vertices of a cubed area could be manipulated in such a way that you could make things like pyrimids or ramps (this is a 3d game if you couldn't tell). Selections could be duplicated and scaled up or down. And you could swap textures on any side of any cube, make spawn points(?), and place weapons/ammo/powerups(?).

-it utilized a brake system much like this http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/of ... aft-clones

-and the last specific detail I can remember is the music, by default the game had some kinda metal playing at all times.

many thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help

P.S. If it helps I also found the game on a "free games" website, looking for free multiplayer games. I found whatever this game is and Allegiance (a space sim shooter/rts).

P.P.S. ♪ no one in the whole damn internet knows what the shit I'm talking about ♪

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:13 am UTC

Dates around Minecraft's Beta. Sounds more advanced. (Ought not be surprised, though.)

Dead Frontier, Fallen Earth, Roblox, or Wurm Online?

Doubts all of them. Focused on free, older games. Checked games similar to Minecraft and DayZ. Could not place theme.

er453r

Postby er453r » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 pm UTC

* Background: I've played it on DOS as a child. The main protagonist started in a forest by a lake. On the other side of the lake was a castle. Near the start there was something like an old witches hut wich you could enter
* System: DOS
* Year: ~1994
* Perspective: 2D side-scroll (not sure about scrolling, maybe it was static)
* Art style: Pixel art, retro adventure game graphics
* Environment: Medival, Forest
* Mood: Mystery, Adventure
* Genre: Adventure
* Gameplay: point & click adventure game

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:35 pm UTC

er453r wrote:* Background: I've played it on DOS as a child. The main protagonist started in a forest by a lake. On the other side of the lake was a castle. Near the start there was something like an old witches hut wich you could enter
* System: DOS
* Year: ~1994
* Perspective: 2D side-scroll (not sure about scrolling, maybe it was static)
* Art style: Pixel art, retro adventure game graphics
* Environment: Medival, Forest
* Mood: Mystery, Adventure
* Genre: Adventure
* Gameplay: point & click adventure game

I know this isn't the game you're looking for, but your description reminds me of Eco-Saurus

First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

er453r

Postby er453r » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:57 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:I know this isn't the game you're looking for, but your description reminds me of Eco-Saurus

Thanks, but that is not it.

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:26 pm UTC

Lacks uniqueness. Resorted to more general searches.

- Mixed-Up Fairy Tales
- King’s Quest 1. Avoided text parsers. Matched other criteria too well to not mention.
- Armaeth: The Lost Kingdom
- The Black Cauldron

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:35 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm assuming er453r has already looked at Kings Quest. Not sure about Quest for Glory.

It'd be helpful to know details about the protagonist - male, female? Selectable? Was there an on-screen protagonist?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:00 pm UTC

My first thought was a King's Quest as well.

er453r

Postby er453r » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:24 am UTC

Deva wrote:Lacks uniqueness. Resorted to more general searches.

- Mixed-Up Fairy Tales
- King’s Quest 1. Avoided text parsers. Matched other criteria too well to not mention.
- Armaeth: The Lost Kingdom
- The Black Cauldron

Wow, I was not aware there could be so much games matching my description... Thanks for the list, but it still not there. Some more details: you could not select the protagonist, I think it was a boy/young man, The graphics looked much better than the ones you listed, more in Discworld1/MonkeyIsland2 style. The thing I remember very vaguely is that the title might have started with "Z" :/

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:23 am UTC

Only fit loosely. Applies to the following too.

Simon the Sorcerer 1 or 2?

er453r

Postby er453r » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:16 am UTC

Deva wrote:Simon the Sorcerer 1 or 2?

Nope :/

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:46 pm UTC

Though these don't exactly fit the opening description, at least from what I can tell...

Curse of Enchantia
Lure of the Temptress
Torin's Passage

Have you looked at the Wikipedia List of Graphic Adventure Games to see if anything looks familiar?

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:39 pm UTC

Will add Legend of Kyrandia 1. Features the best Castle + Large Body of Water thus far. (Envisioned something like this, anyways.) Appears late, though.

Kyrandia Castle Dark.png

Kyrandia Castle.png

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:59 pm UTC

Did you check all of the King's Quest games? Kings Quest V seems like it could fit all of your description so far.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:09 pm UTC

Legends of Kyrandia was a very boring game. You could do almost nothing expect clicking on random things, and occasionnally something might happen.

er453r

Postby er453r » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:19 am UTC

Sorry, but it is not any of those above :/ I've even checked the lists on Wikipedia and IGDB. I'm starting to think it might have been some kind of a shareware game that never got a proper release version - that happened at that time of history ;)

The thing I remember clearly is that the first screen of gameplay started the main protagonist at the bottom-right corner of the screen, at the edge of the forest and a lake/river. The castle was on the other side of the water, and the castle was placed at the top-left corner of the screen.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Thu May 05, 2016 4:12 am UTC

Background: Medieval fantasy / Norse mythology kind of game. I seem to remember mostly exploration but may have been combat as well.
System: PC, probably Windows 95
Year: probably late 1990s
Perspective: pretty sure it was first person
Art style: unsure
Environment: I seem to remember a lot of open space, forests, that sort of thing. Possibly also some cave / underground type areas.
Mood: Exploration
Genre: Adventure
Gameplay: The main thing I remember is that finding rune stones was a pretty big thing. These were large, whitish(?) things with a rune carved or painted on them, I think in red. Also, "The Ride of the Valkyries" featured heavily in the music.

Return to “Gaming”