Hey, wondering if you kind people can give me a hand in figuring out this game title. It's been bugging me for a long time now, and I've only stopped short of searching through MobyGames tens of thousands of shooting games, one-by-one.
* Background: I remember playing it in the early 90s to mid-90s. It was a shooter from a top down perspective, like the kind you see often on Flash game websites like Newgrounds these days. You'd go from room to room, and kill all enemies in each room, and the rooms were separated by gates.
* System: Probably PC, either Windows 3.1, 95 or DOS.
* Year: I don't know when it came out, played in early 90s to mid-90s
* Perspective: Top-down
* Art style: 2D, I believe sprite-based
* Environment: It was futuristic, in an alien steel fortress, with gray walls and electronic doors. The enemies were aliens, swarming types and if I remember correctly, there were some spaceships too. At the end of each level, you'd face a gigantic boss, usually a spaceship or tank of some kind. I distinctively remember the second level boss being a train that would shoot at you using a plasma weapon. It had mines on that boss level. The first boss is a bit vague, but it's a ship of some kind. If it helps, the last boss initially attacked you with a swarm of fast moving jets that you had to avoid or die, and it itself was a mothership-ish boss. After defeating the last boss, you see the alien headquarters exploding deliciously in the distance, in the middle of what seems to be a barren desert area.
* Mood: It felt apocalyptic, but in a "with attitude" sort of way. Catchy rock soundtrack, I can still hum parts of it.
* Genre: Top-down sci-fi shooter.
* Gameplay: You're a commando soldier of some sort. You shoot at the aliens using a repeating cannon weapon as your default. You could eventually gain other weapons (such as a plasma weapon) but the rest of the weapons had limited ammo and you'd default back to the unlimited cannon weapon if you ran out. You'd go from room to room, and kill all enemies in each room, and the rooms were separated by gates. You defeat bosses by attacking their weak parts (such as their cannons), focusing your fire on them. Destroying enough of these parts will kill the boss.
I know this is a stretch, but I was hoping to find out the title of this game. I've searched MobyGames, Gamefaqs, wikipedia and more, but I haven't nailed it down yet. I'll continue searching, and I'll be grateful for your assistance.