Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby drphat » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

drphat wrote:This has been driving me crazy for months now, hopefully there's help here.

* Background: It's vague, I know each level was a set of puzzles, I remember the name of the last level was "the bowels of _____ "
* System: PC
* Year: mid-90's
* Perspective: 3rd person, side-scroll with 3d perspective
* Art style: cartoonish - pre Kq7 disney style though
* Environment: Varied depending on the puzzle/challenge
* Mood: Serious-ish
* Genre: RPG/Puzzles
* Gameplay: The game consisted of different puzzles, I remember one was on a field where veggies had to be picked or ordered a certain way, while others I had to work on a machine of sorts. I seem to remember rabbits or carrots also.

Sorry for being so vague. I did play this around the same time I picked up KQ5-7

Went out on a limb with the fact that I got the Kings Quest games at the same time and assumed it was a Sierra release - FOUND IT!!

http://www.vintage-sierra.net/gobs.php

Gobliiins...
drphat

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:57 am UTC

Poopenheimer wrote:
The man with the plan wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Doom or Hexen. You might want to use the template (that everyone else is using. ...See?) to refine it a little bit, and then people might get a clearer idea of what game you mean.

I'm afraid it's not doom or Hexan. I mean REALLY early. It only used the colours green and purple think. Also, I'm calling Felstaff "The man with the plan" From now on.

i'm thinking Corporation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QocuSsovRJg

Postby Poopenheimer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:57 am UTC

Nope... that looks far too advanced... don't worry about it, I doubt anyone will ever come close :(
Poopenheimer

Postby Felstaff » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:01 pm UTC

Huh. Well you can't get more basic than the 3D Maze screensaver that came with Windows '95
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

considering Corporation was on the Megadrive/Genesis, there's not much less advanced, unless you are talking Battlezone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtXOaDNaoUI

Postby Poopenheimer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Nope. It was in a maze, which I think had no end. There was no objective I know of, so it was kind of a time waster. And it was on the PS1.
Poopenheimer

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

Are You Certain?

I just continue my disbelief as your insistence on primitive yet 3D graphics when Bubsy 3D, a game generally hailed as the shittiest looking PS1 game, has better graphics than what you describe.

But I may be completely wrong and there is a more simplistic looking game that just doesn't look shitty.

More importantly - there's a reason the template exists. Re-reading your description, we've all kinda jumped on the First/Third Person bandwagon but at no point have you actually stated that it's a First/Third Person game, as there exist various 3D isometric games in which the map can be rotated, but the enemy sprites would continue their orientation - that is, they'd continue to face you, the player. Use the damn template.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

maybe it was part of another game or perhaps it was a homebrew game? are you sure it was on PS1 and not PS2 because PS2 came with a "basic" programming engine that i used to mess around with, and someone could have easily built a game like that in basic and put it on PS2

Postby Poopenheimer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

* Background:I am not entirely certain.
* System: PS1. On this, I am certain. [EDIT] I JUST REMEMBERED, IT WAS ON A DEMO
* Year: 1999-2000?
* Perspective:FP
* Art style: Fairly basic.
* Environment: In a very dull purple/green maze.
* Mood: Scary.
* Genre: I have no idea, I can't remember it all too well.
* Gameplay: ^
Poopenheimer

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

Thank you. The year range really does help to narrow it down, as well as it being a demo, so we know it was likely released in the 1998-2001 range.

Metal Gear Solid : VR Missions, perhaps?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Poopenheimer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

Nope, I would've known a Metal G game if I saw one. Sorry.
Poopenheimer

Postby New User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

Poopenheimer wrote:
The man with the plan wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Doom or Hexen. You might want to use the template (that everyone else is using. ...See?) to refine it a little bit, and then people might get a clearer idea of what game you mean.

I'm afraid it's not doom or Hexan. I mean REALLY early. It only used the colours green and purple think. Also, I'm calling Felstaff "The man with the plan" From now on.

Doom came out before Sony PlayStation, so imagining a game for PS1 that is much more primitive than Doom is a stretch of the imagination. Monochrome games were extremely out of style by the time PlayStation came along. I am afraid Poopenheimer is either mistaken or is trolling.
New User

Postby Felstaff » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

Well, there was a demo of Lifeforce: Tenka on the PlayStation "Demo1" disk. Interestingly, I bought this game off of eBay only last week. But the graphics were way more advanced than Doom at the time, and this would have been 1995. When I got my PlayStation, it was "Demo2", but I remember Abe's Oddysee and WipeOut 2097 being on there.
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby niksta979 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:18 am UTC

Hello everyone. I can't believe I found a site like this because I've been searching everywhere for this game I really enjoyed playing. I hope you all can help :)

* Background: It's a tank shooter game. Extremely basic layout and an aerial 2D view of the course. Each course was a grid pattern consisting of rows and columns through which your tank could move to shoot down the multiple enemy tanks. The ammo used were little stones. (Background colour was black; tank colours were grey; rest of course was grey)
* System: PC (Windows 95 or MS-DOS; I can't remember)
* Year: mid-90's
* Perspective: 3rd person; aerial view
* Art style: basic and extremely simple; no graphics really
* Environment: Varied depending on the level
* Mood: -
* Genre: Tank shooter?
* Gameplay: You had to control your tank, moving it through the grid course, while evading your enemies' bullets and shooting them down with 'stones'. I am not sure if there were other weapons. I believe your bullets were grey while the enemies' bullets were green.
Thank you so much for any suggestions!!
niksta979

Postby Felstaff » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:05 am UTC

How similar to Combat Tanks is it?

Or Tank Battle? (this was an Atari game, however)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby jobriath » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:20 am UTC

I have two for you. Apologies if they've already been asked. I don't know what to search with!
* Background: You're in a polygonal tank, and can drive around. I can't remember if there were enemies---probably were---but I remember these red glowing lines across the floor that would impede your progress. In order to deactivate them, you had to destroy these towers. At various points in the game you suddenly become able to fly---I never figured out the logic behind this.
* System: Atari ST? Possibly Amiga, but I think ST.
* Year: Around 1995?
* Perspective: Third-person, camera fixed behind the tank.
* Art style: Shaded, coloured polygons. Black sky. Red glowing lines on floor that impede progress. Mostly greys and reds and the odd bit of blue.
* Environment: Post-industrial brutalist. I mean, it was just polygons.
* Gameplay: I scarcely remember a thing outside of the towers.

And another:
* Background: You are a young girl with fairy overtones, and a parent has been trapped in a tower. It's your job to rescue them by ascending the tower. You have a little wand-thing you can use to bash enemies along the way.
* Perspective: Platformer, you're constantly working your way from the bottom of the screen upwards. Can't remember if it's a fixed screen or if it scrolls upwards as you progress; I suspect the former.
* Art style: Cutesy, large heads and eyes. If there were two players you both played a girl. One had pink hair, I think the other had blue. When you died you kind of collapsed in on yourself, became a fairy, and flew in a beeline offscreen, to reappear.
* Environment: The monsters early on were these mobile sacks that multiplied by shaking themselves, and these worm-like things that would stop and extend their tongues as an attack.
* Mood: All very sweet.

Thanks in advance!
jobriath

Postby Thirty-one » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:50 am UTC

New User wrote:Doom came out before Sony PlayStation, so imagining a game for PS1 that is much more primitive than Doom is a stretch of the imagination. Monochrome games were extremely out of style by the time PlayStation came along. I am afraid Poopenheimer is either mistaken or is trolling.

They weren't all the rage or anything, but some games were still made in monochrome as an art decision, or something like that. Like Vib Ribbon.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.
Thirty-one

Postby Felstaff » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:08 pm UTC

jobriath wrote:I have two for you. Apologies if they've already been asked. I don't know what to search with!
* Background: You're in a polygonal tank, and can drive around. I can't remember if there were enemies---probably were---but I remember these red glowing lines across the floor that would impede your progress. In order to deactivate them, you had to destroy these towers. At various points in the game you suddenly become able to fly---I never figured out the logic behind this.
* Perspective: Third-person, camera fixed behind the tank.
* Art style: Shaded, coloured polygons. Black sky. Red glowing lines on floor that impede progress. Mostly greys and reds and the odd bit of blue.
* Environment: Post-industrial brutalist. I mean, it was just polygons.
* Gameplay: I scarcely remember a thing outside of the towers.

Similar to this?
I only ask because shaded polygons were a rarity on both the Atari & Amiga, and this is a screenshot from a DOS game. I, too, recall a polygonal tank game with a dark and brooding atmosphere from the mid-nineties. I thought it was Wargasm (but that was too colourful) and then the remake of Battletanks (but that was too pretty) and I'm looking for a more basic 3rd-person perspective tank game similar to the one you described.

Now I have in my head the voice of Krazy Ivan saying, in a cod-Russian accent, "...and fluffy dice?"
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Deva » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

jobriath wrote: * Background: You are a young girl with fairy overtones, and a parent has been trapped in a tower. It's your job to rescue them by ascending the tower. You have a little wand-thing you can use to bash enemies along the way.
* Perspective: Platformer, you're constantly working your way from the bottom of the screen upwards. Can't remember if it's a fixed screen or if it scrolls upwards as you progress; I suspect the former.
* Art style: Cutesy, large heads and eyes. If there were two players you both played a girl. One had pink hair, I think the other had blue. When you died you kind of collapsed in on yourself, became a fairy, and flew in a beeline offscreen, to reappear.
* Environment: The monsters early on were these mobile sacks that multiplied by shaking themselves, and these worm-like things that would stop and extend their tongues as an attack.
* Mood: All very sweet.

Thanks in advance!

Appears to be Rodland.
Rodland.jpg
Rodland.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Changes its form depending on the observer.
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby jobriath » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I, too, recall a polygonal tank game with a dark and brooding atmosphere from the mid-nineties. I thought it was Wargasm (but that was too colourful) and then the remake of Battletanks (but that was too pretty) and I'm looking for a more basic 3rd-person perspective tank game similar to the one you described.

You're right, this isn't the one. I don't recall any kind of landscape cleverness---it was all flat, except for the things sticking out of it like towers and the red walls (and perhaps other enemies). Also, the tank was simpler and less tanklike---certainly a vehicle of some time, but no Abrahams. It sounds like you've got the right one in mind, though. Was there a sea in places?

Deva wrote:Appears to be Rodland.

That's the bunny. Thank you very much! In gratitude, I give you the observation that your avatar, in addition to being rabbit/duck---if you rotate your head 90deg anticlockwise and really squint---looks like a brain, brainstem, and eyes wearing glasses with hinged lenses.
jobriath

Postby niksta979 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

Hmmm ok its neither of those two games. The thing is, I do remember perfectly in my mind what the screenshot looks like and it's really easy to draw as well. Is there a way to upload a pic then it'll make it a bit easier, if by chance you have any more ideas? Thanks alot.
niksta979

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:00 am UTC

Under the part where you type the message, click "upload attachment"
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

Or upload it to imgur or something similar, get the link for the image and put it in [img] tags. There's even a button for it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Or upload it to imgur or something similar, get the link for the image and put it in [img] tags. There's even a button for it.

Attachments are much, much easier :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.
SirBryghtside

Postby faranim » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:46 pm UTC

CogDissident wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
CogDissident wrote:* Background: A medieval RPG where you can decide on what shape the various farms and areas are zoned in.
* Year: 2000-2005ish?
* Perspective: top down with a 3d terrain system
* Art style: Standard medieval art
* Environment: England-type-settings
* Mood: Serious
* Genre: RTS
* Gameplay: All I remember is zoning out farmland for pigs and grain and such and then using large armies to crush my enemies. Something about clicking and then drawing a box of whatever shape you wanted to make the farms. I know I'm making it sound like a farming simulator, but it really was a medieval RTS.
Have you looked into the Settlers line? For some reason, drawing farms sounds familiar...

Not settlers, or the stronghold series of games. Was something else. Will try to scour that wikipedia list, but it may be too obscure to be on there.

Sounds a bit like Lords of the Realm, but the allocation of farmland was not done free-form as you describe. Instead each region had a set # of farm squares which you had to allocate for farming grain, cattle, or leaving fallow. It definitely fits all the other critera though (I can still hear the British voice... "a Wooden Palisade", "a Norman Keep").
faranim

Postby countamantea » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

* Background: I used to play this game as a kid on my first PC.
* System: PC, I think I had a 286 based machine.
* Year: Late 80s, early 90s
* Perspective: Top down/isometric
* Art style: kinda like the old AD&D Gold Box Games
* Environment:Forest-y with some stone ruins
* Mood: Heroic, I remember all of the units had names and they were "heroes," for example, some could move farther, some could shoot an arrow, etc. Had a Robin Hood vs. knights feel.
* Genre: Medieval battle
* Gameplay: Turn-based strategy but without resource management
countamantea

Postby Dropzone » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:53 pm UTC

That immediately made me think of Medieval (IIRC, the demo mission is literally Robin Hood vs. knights in a forest with stone ruins), but the date doesn't really match up. I also noticed a game called Medieval Warriors when I was trying to find Medieval on MobyGames - it's closer to the right date and sort of resembles the description.
Dropzone

Postby Eowiel » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:38 am UTC

CogDissident wrote:* Background: A medieval RPG where you can decide on what shape the various farms and areas are zoned in.
* Year: 2000-2005ish?
* Perspective: top down with a 3d terrain system
* Art style: Standard medieval art
* Environment: England-type-settings
* Mood: Serious
* Genre: RTS
* Gameplay: All I remember is zoning out farmland for pigs and grain and such and then using large armies to crush my enemies. Something about clicking and then drawing a box of whatever shape you wanted to make the farms. I know I'm making it sound like a farming simulator, but it really was a medieval RTS.

Could it be Medieval Lords: Build, Defend, Expand?
Eowiel

Postby aviola7x7 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

I have been trying to figure this game out on and off for a few months now but I still haven't had any luck. It would be awesome if someone could help me out.

* Background: I always think that the game was called Metal Head but any time I search for it, I can never seem to find it. It was a long time ago so the details are kind of fuzzy. You controlled a robot character who was red and silver colored. He looked like he was wearing a helmet of some sort that colvered just about everything but his eyes. The objective of the game (I never made it too far in so I don't know much mroe than the beginning) was to save the world (of course). You had to jump through platforms and on the ground similar to Sonic or Megaman collecting metal bolts or spheres or something and avoiding enemies. The inital levels where outside.
* System: Sega Genesis
* Year: Early 1990's
* Perspective: Side Scrolling
* Art style:Cartoonish
* Environment:Outside, maybe cliff like platforms with grass on top
* Mood: Not Sure
* Genre:Side Scrolling. Similar to Sonic or Megaman I think
* Gameplay:Moving to the right colleting bolts or metal sphere and avoiding enemies to reach the end of the level. I don't remember if there were any type of weapons or anything i just remember jumping a lot haha.

Reading through this I notice it does sound like I may be describing Megaman but it definitely wasn't. It would be awesome if someone could help me figure out what game this is because it has been driving me crazy.

Thanks a lot!
aviola7x7

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby aviola7x7 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Tinhead?

YES! Haha thanks so much! I don't know how i could have missed it, I think I was so stuck on "metal" being in the title.
aviola7x7

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

Well, Tin is a metal, so you were close...... but yeah, Wikipedia made that so much easier. Just looked on the List of Genesis Games (though it's listed as Sega Megadrive Games..whatever) and searched for Metal and Head in the titles. Surprisingly very few instances of Metal OR head in titles. Go figure.

(Oh man, I'm not saying this as a "Ha ha noob learn to search" but as a way of making it so you don't drive yourself crazy for five or six days weeks years before finally breaking down and asking someone)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby TFGuy89 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

Hey, wondering if you kind people can give me a hand in figuring out this game title. It's been bugging me for a long time now, and I've only stopped short of searching through MobyGames tens of thousands of shooting games, one-by-one.

* Background: I remember playing it in the early 90s to mid-90s. It was a shooter from a top down perspective, like the kind you see often on Flash game websites like Newgrounds these days. You'd go from room to room, and kill all enemies in each room, and the rooms were separated by gates.
* System: Probably PC, either Windows 3.1, 95 or DOS.
* Year: I don't know when it came out, played in early 90s to mid-90s
* Perspective: Top-down
* Art style: 2D, I believe sprite-based
* Environment: It was futuristic, in an alien steel fortress, with gray walls and electronic doors. The enemies were aliens, swarming types and if I remember correctly, there were some spaceships too. At the end of each level, you'd face a gigantic boss, usually a spaceship or tank of some kind. I distinctively remember the second level boss being a train that would shoot at you using a plasma weapon. It had mines on that boss level. The first boss is a bit vague, but it's a ship of some kind. If it helps, the last boss initially attacked you with a swarm of fast moving jets that you had to avoid or die, and it itself was a mothership-ish boss. After defeating the last boss, you see the alien headquarters exploding deliciously in the distance, in the middle of what seems to be a barren desert area.
* Mood: It felt apocalyptic, but in a "with attitude" sort of way. Catchy rock soundtrack, I can still hum parts of it.
* Genre: Top-down sci-fi shooter.
* Gameplay: You're a commando soldier of some sort. You shoot at the aliens using a repeating cannon weapon as your default. You could eventually gain other weapons (such as a plasma weapon) but the rest of the weapons had limited ammo and you'd default back to the unlimited cannon weapon if you ran out. You'd go from room to room, and kill all enemies in each room, and the rooms were separated by gates. You defeat bosses by attacking their weak parts (such as their cannons), focusing your fire on them. Destroying enough of these parts will kill the boss.

I know this is a stretch, but I was hoping to find out the title of this game. I've searched MobyGames, Gamefaqs, wikipedia and more, but I haven't nailed it down yet. I'll continue searching, and I'll be grateful for your assistance.
TFGuy89

Postby Lostdreams » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

Sounds like a Smash TV clone.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.
Lostdreams

Postby Jorpho » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

Could be Total Carnage, then, perhaps – the sequel to Smash TV.
Jorpho

Postby Felstaff » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

The best SmashTV/Cannon Fodder/Chaos Engine clone I had on the Amiga was Alien Breed, which sounds a lot like what you're describing (although I can't remember the bosses). After a quick checkeroo, I found it was also for DOS.

The worst was Alien Syndrome (Gauntlet-style hodge-podge of top-down and isometric--but it does sound similar to what your describing, sans the bosses),

and my favourite was Alien Storm

Pic unrelated--it's not the game you're after, but it did kick ass. Look at it! It's a goddamn robot kicking an alien in the face.
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby TFGuy89 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:01 am UTC

Thanks guys, while those aren't the games, they've helped a bit more. It's really so bizarre trying to get a hold of the game's title. Alien Breed is the closest I've gotten so far, but it's a bit too dark, and it doesn't have those fancy spaceship bosses.
TFGuy89

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:47 am UTC

Heavy Barrel? Mercs? One of the Ikari Warriors?
Jorpho

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 am UTC

Maybe a misremembering of Super C?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.
Lostdreams

Postby TFGuy89 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:51 am UTC

Nope, none of those games are it. I'm starting to think that I must have fabricated that memory. Yet, why is it so clear?
TFGuy89

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming