You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Yuri2356

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Same reason I make Rose gold. :D

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:20 pm UTC

Found my magma pipe.

I need to make roofs on my shacks, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that... I guess make stairs up beside walls, and then make floors, then destroy the stairs....

I'm having fun making walls. I'm currently trying to think of how to defend my place a little better. I first dug into the hill, then I opened up into a cave opening. so I've got these one elevation around an opening where my trade depot is, then a door, then my small fortress.

Well, I'm gonna work on it and see how long it takes me to lose. I'm sure I will.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I need to make roofs on my shacks, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that... I guess make stairs up beside walls, and then make floors, then destroy the stairs....

I'm having fun making walls. I'm currently trying to think of how to defend my place a little better. I first dug into the hill, then I opened up into a cave opening. so I've got these one elevation around an opening where my trade depot is, then a door, then my small fortress.

You have two problems, both of which are the solution to the other.

Build a staircase or two up, build floor rooftops, then build floor or regular bridges from rooftop to rooftop. Send a couple of crossbowdwarves up there to patrol the entire works in small singular to three dwarf groups. That way, if Kobolds or Goblin Thieves get in, they'll shoot'em down, and in the even of an invasion you can sent them to the wall for defense relatively quickly.

Assuming I understand your structure layout, at least.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

That makes sense. I shall look at that for the future.
How many z levels can crossbowdwarves shoot?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

Yes? I believe the range is more or less in an X-squares fashion with Z levels not really taken in to account, but then, I usually don't build "Towers", just platforms on which they stand.

I imagine they can shoot X squares away and that Z-levels are calculated in to that, but I'm not 100% sure.

To the researchatorium!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

One thing to remember is that if your marksdwarves are behind fortifications, there will be a blind spot extending out from the wall by a number tiles equal to the height of the structure. So install a moat or palisade to keep enemies at a bit of a distance.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:48 am UTC

HEREis my first attempt at a perpetual waterfall. Xaddak, you make it look easy.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Sorry, I'm a badass at perpetual waterfall machines. I just suck at the rest of the game.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

For those who were complaining about the lack of native linux support, a linux port is confirmed (at least, as something he's working on) for the next version.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

I ran the optimized OpenGL for Battle Champs in the dev log, and I was getting 10000FPS fullscreen.
ToadyOne will be rereleasing 40d with the optimized code implemented in DF.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:I ran the optimized OpenGL for Battle Champs in the dev log, and I was getting 10000FPS fullscreen.
ToadyOne will be rereleasing 40d with the optimized code implemented in DF.

Of course, don't get your hopes up for 10000FPS in DF; it's a lot more complex of a game than Battle Champs.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

Yes. Battle Champs is all about demoing potential framerate improvements. But DF does way more simulation than tile printing.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:23 am UTC

I play on my 1.8ghz dual-core laptop instead of my 3.0ghz single-core desktop. Assign one core to DF and one to everything else, and the game runs fairly well, but I've never had a REALLY old fortress before, although I have had 180+ dwarves and it still is playable even if it is slow.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

LordMantir

Postby LordMantir » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

Um... I'm having trouble farming. Yes, I'm a complete beginner. I've found an area of clay which i presumed would be suitable for farming, but digging into it reveals only clay cavern floor, no soil. I'm probably missing something stupid... am I?

EDIT: OK, yes I was missing something stupid. I've got farming going... but now none of my dwarves will do anything. The odd one pops out to do some farming, but no-one will build the buildings I've set up, nor cut down any trees. I am confused...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

To cut down trees you need at least
One (1) Axe
One (1) Dwarf with Wood Cutting Enabled

You must also designate at least One (1) Tree for Chopping. This is done by hitting (d) to designate and then .. I think (t) is Chop Trees. If you're outside when you hit (d) to designate, the default setting is Chop Trees. If you're inside, the default setting is to Mine.

If you only have One (1) Axe, you must also NOT have a dwarf with hunting enabled or a military/guard dwarf set to use an Axe. Which is likely not an issue at the beginning, just saying. Because it's awful hard for a guy to use an axe to cut down a tree when someone else is using it to smash faces.

To build any buildings, you must have a Dwarf with the appropriate jobs enabled - masonry for the mason's shop, carpentry for the carpenter's shop, and so on. Buildings like the Trade Depot need Architecture as well as the job that goes with the materials you've chosen (If it's stone, a Mason, wood a Carpenter, and Metal someone with a Metalworking job)

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

To build the buildings, you need to have people enabled for that job. If you want them to build a mason's workshop, you need someone with the masonry skill enabled. To build a jewler's shop you need a jewler, and so on.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:46 pm UTC

LordMantir wrote:Um... I'm having trouble farming. Yes, I'm a complete beginner. I've found an area of clay which i presumed would be suitable for farming, but digging into it reveals only clay cavern floor, no soil. I'm probably missing something stupid... am I?

EDIT: OK, yes I was missing something stupid. I've got farming going... but now none of my dwarves will do anything. The odd one pops out to do some farming, but no-one will build the buildings I've set up, nor cut down any trees. I am confused...

To farm:
1. make sure you have (for starters) plump helmet spawn. They are the easiest crop to make, and can be eaten, or brewed, to get their seeds back. They can also be cooked, bu those don't give seeds, so don't cook them unless you have a huge supply of them.
2. dig underground into clay/sand/loam/not rock. build a farm plot with b-p, then expand it to the size you want and place it.
3. press q, select the farm, for each season (a,b,c,d for spring, summer, fall, winter), select the crop (plump helmets grow year-round). As you will see, none are pre-selected, which is why the farmers weren't farming them.
4. ...
5. Profit!

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:36 am UTC

I just started this game (about 5 times) and I can't work out how to dig levels down. I can use channel to get the lower level started for a staircase, but I can't build a down staircase in the channel, and building it next to the channel seems to do nothing. The wiki says you need to build an adjoining staircase on the lower level going up, but I can't access the lower level yet.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

You need to dig the staircases, not build them. It's in the same menu as channeling, but I can't remember the shortcut atm. Then you need to designate a staircase up (or up/down) on the level below.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

InstinctSage wrote:I just started this game (about 5 times) and I can't work out how to dig levels down. I can use channel to get the lower level started for a staircase, but I can't build a down staircase in the channel, and building it next to the channel seems to do nothing. The wiki says you need to build an adjoining staircase on the lower level going up, but I can't access the lower level yet.

Digging a stairway requires having a natural wall/floor to dig into, both of which are removed by channelling. If you want downward stairs through an open floor tile, designate a down stair on the floor (d - j) and a matching up or up/down stair on the tile wall below (d - [u or x]).

This diagram illustrates your options for digging between z-levels.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

Sorry for being thick, I still don't get it. If I build a down stair on the level I'm on in the corner of the room (natural wall/floor tile, correct?) then the lower level remains unaffected, so I can't do anything there.

I must have re-read the wiki page and stared at that diagram for ages. Wait... Do i build the staircase INTO the wall? I'll try that.
Why does it let me build them on open ground if I can't connect anything there? Bah... I'm so confused.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:22 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:Sorry for being thick, I still don't get it. If I build a down stair on the level I'm on in the corner of the room (natural wall/floor tile, correct?) then the lower level remains unaffected, so I can't do anything there.

I must have re-read the wiki page and stared at that diagram for ages. Wait... Do i build the staircase INTO the wall? I'll try that.
Why does it let me build them on open ground if I can't connect anything there? Bah... I'm so confused.

You're not "building" staircases, you're _digging_ them*. Designate a down staircase on the floor and an up (or up/down) staircase on the level immediately below - once the down staircase is dug they can stand on it and reach the square one level below to dig the up staircase on.

And once the down staircase is done, the lower level is _not_ unaffected. One tile (the one immediately below) is reachable and visible now, so the up (or up/down) staircase can be dug there, completing a staircase pair. I.e. you'll be digging it from above, not from the side - this seems to be what you've missed.

Incidentally, "up" and "down" mean they connect to the level above/below, not that they are for a single travel direction. (Nothing you've said indicated you think this, but others have made this mistake in the past so it was worth pointing out)

*You are using (d)esignate, not (b)uild (C)onstruction, right?

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:37 am UTC

No, I was using build construction. There's my problem. Now I've got to the lower level and I struck sylvite on the staircase. Woot!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:16 am UTC

4=5 wrote:my jeweler keeps canceling "cut rubies" because he doesn't have rough rubies even though a stockpile of them is just outside his door

edit, I removed the door just in case it was the problem, he's sitting in there getting thirsty but not moveing

You've probably long since abandoned this particular fortress, but I thought I'd mention it because it's an issue I've run into - the Jeweler's workshop contains a wall of three impassable tiles along its east edge, so you need a way out that's accessible some other way (technically this can happen with other workshops as well, but the particular layout makes it much more likely with the jeweler's shop and bowyer's, and people are much more likely to build a jeweler's shop early on. the dark green X's when you go to build it are the impassable tiles.)

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:05 am UTC

Random832 wrote:
4=5 wrote:my jeweler keeps canceling "cut rubies" because he doesn't have rough rubies even though a stockpile of them is just outside his door

edit, I removed the door just in case it was the problem, he's sitting in there getting thirsty but not moveing

You've probably long since abandoned this particular fortress, but I thought I'd mention it because it's an issue I've run into - the Jeweler's workshop contains a wall of three impassable tiles along its east edge, so you need a way out that's accessible some other way (technically this can happen with other workshops as well, but the particular layout makes it much more likely with the jeweler's shop and bowyer's, and people are much more likely to build a jeweler's shop early on. the dark green X's when you go to build it are the impassable tiles.)

yup! the wiki helped me out with that particular problem.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:14 am UTC

After almost an entire year I don't have any migrants. Probably a good thing since I only just finished the bedrooms (3x3 rooms for all!). The reason it took so long was because I realised I only had murky pools and had to drain one of them to make drinkable water, then realised I didn't have everything I needed to make a well (still don't), on top of this the place was loaded with rock salt and sylvite and the damn stones were everywhere; I couldn't place a thing down.

I've been making stone blocks since they go in bins/barrels instead of the stone, which is still filling up stockpiles and wasting all my time getting hauled about to make room for workshops and the like. I have a farm which doesn't seem to be producing anything even though I do have seeds and have instructed the farm to plant them in appropriate seasons. I'm sure it's just back to everybody hauling stones instead of doing anything else. Performed some successful trades despite not having a broker and therefore not knowing what anything is worth (I'd made a crapload of rock crafts anyway and so offloaded them).

But all my dwarves are ecstatic despite only recently getting beds to sleep in, having to share tables, being thirsty and starving and dealing with an outbreak of miasma (forgot to define a refuse pile).

I'm thinking of starting again but I can't help feeling like if I press on I'll learn even more handy hints for future fortresses.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:37 am UTC

Did you have your farming fields labor turned on for your farmers (or anyone if you have no farmers)? Could your farmers get to the farm + was the farm on arable land?

Also, be careful what you wish for with migrants. Every time I find myself wishing I had more migrants to get whatever project I'm working on finished and cursing my dwarf shortage, I get a giant immigration wave of more dwarves than I can handle. This in general is still a good thing cuz more labor = awesome and I have plenty of food but it's still unnerving to see that many dwarves just suddenly show up clamoring for things.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:06 am UTC

I hadn't messed around with labor preferences, which is why everyone was hauling stones and nobody was farming. That's fixed now, but I think I'll ditch this one and start again tomorrow anyway. I still have no well and everybody has been drinking from a murky pool, plus I've run out of beer. That's a terminal error.

Plus I really need to get better with managing stones. With just one mason constantly making blocks and stone furniture I still wind up having the place littered with them and stone stockpiles seem near useless since they fill up so damn quick.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

I had to go two years without migrants once. When they showed up, it was a max-sized wave (roughly 24 dwarves). So I went from 7 to 31 in the blink of an eye. Needless to say, I was angry at them until I got them sorted out.

The worst problem I have with that kind of delay is I either need to start training a military ASAP or I forget to do it at all until I'm under siege by a million goblins. And then I'm dead.

-X

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

I've been getting floods of immigrants to the point I've stopped caring about individual rooms. The economy is enabled, anyway, so I just make sure to have a boatload of beds in the barracks.

The fort run dry of booze before, because of the mentioned immigrants and me forgetting to up the production. So I had them run all across the map for a while before things got back under control. It IS doable, but then again my fortress was pretty well established at the time.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

InstinctSage wrote:No, I was using build construction. There's my problem. Now I've got to the lower level and I struck sylvite on the staircase. Woot!

Constructed stairs are generally used for going up, rather than down, and almost always at surface level or above. (Usually when building towers, castles and other such fortified structures)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

InstinctSage wrote:Plus I really need to get better with managing stones. With just one mason constantly making blocks and stone furniture I still wind up having the place littered with them and stone stockpiles seem near useless since they fill up so damn quick.

Don't worry about it. Other than building on a diagonal (like a single-wide tunnel that you're trying to put a door or floodgate in the middle of), dwarves will automatically move any stones out of the way.

If you're concerned about the beauty of your fortress, ...well, step 1 is to set your broker on Highest Accuracy (and give him an office), step 2 is, once he's cataloged the supplies in your fortress, on your stockpiles screen set the stones to Hidden (h key).

That way, you won't see them anymore. At least, the ones that are dug out. So you might have to keep doing it every now and again to re-hide the stones you've tunneled out. If buildings "vanish" after doing this, it's because they were made with stones and not blocks. Disassemble, reassemble in blocks to get them back.

But really, stone management, unlike every other management, is optional.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

For stone management I generally put a very small stone pile near any stone-using shop (Setting it to only take high-value stones like flux or obsidian, if available) that way the masons don't need to walk very far, but the haulers also won't waste too much time filling the material buffer.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:
InstinctSage wrote:No, I was using build construction. There's my problem. Now I've got to the lower level and I struck sylvite on the staircase. Woot!

Obsidian stairs are generally used for going up, rather than down, and almost always at surface level or above. (Usually when building towers, castles and other such fortified structures)

Fix'd. Though I guess you arguably still need temporary constructed stairs for the initial stage of building your aqueducts in the first place to make the obsidian.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:10 am UTC

You actually can define the quality of goods to put in stockpiles? I had a look at custom stockpiles and it looked like you could only allow combinations of existing stockpiles.

I was wondering how to make a stockpile for seed bags near the farm plot, another stockpile on the other side for the harvest, and then a stockpile next to the kitchen and still for food/booze, but all I could seem to do was place food stockpiles everywhere, and that didn't work.

Or can you only forbid certain items from all stockpiles? I can imagine that'd work for preventing crappy stones piling up outside the mason, I took 2 proficient miners on my last outing (I started another fortress last night) and the entire 3x20 entrance way plus a 9x 10 storage zone outside my mason was filled with mudstone. I did get immigrants on that one though, but I overspecialised my starting dwarves a bit. It isn't a bad fortress, but I'm starting to have a thief problem (at the moment they're stealing kittens and mudstone so I don't mind so much) and I've yet to get any military or traps. But that doesn't worry me too much since I'm still learning everything else first.

Edit: Read the wiki page on it. Got it now. Yay! This game is like the Settlers, only far more intricate.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:41 am UTC

When you go in to edit the stockpile, and highlight, say, food.. you should see a list pop up in the middle/left of the screen that has things like Drinks(Plants), Seeds, Plants, and so on. Using the arrow and.. enter, I think.. keys to deselect these things will change the makeup of the stockpile, making it so it only contains cheeses, for example.

When you highlight cheeses, you may get a third list that has things like Dwarven Cheese or Cow Cheese in it, but I forget if this specifically works for that particular combination - it's mostly just an example.

Also, keep your eye on the bottom - food, furniture and animals specifically have extra options down there (for Prepared Food, Sand Bags, and Empty Cages and Empty Traps, respectively)

And a really, really good anti-theft thing is to make sure you only have one entrance, that it's no larger than 3x3 wide at at least one point, and tie down two war dogs on each side of this chokepoint to act as sniffers. Just like in the Terminator Movies. [(b)uild a (v)chain or rope and (q)tie down a dog to each one]

Code: Select all

|   |
|D D|
|   |
Something like that, basically.

annals

Postby annals » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:36 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:It isn't a bad fortress, but I'm starting to have a thief problem (at the moment they're stealing kittens and mudstone so I don't mind so much) and I've yet to get any military or traps. But that doesn't worry me too much since I'm still learning everything else first.

They really stole a kitten? I've never heard of that before. A few words of caution though, be careful with kobold thieves. They aren't usually affected by traps and, if I remember correctly, can walk right through locked doors, so an invasion of kobolds armed with bows (read: machine guns) can be a much more serious matter than it looks if you don't have a good military yet.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:30 am UTC

Either the kobold was stealing a kitten or the kitten was too curious for its own good and followed him all the way out.
Thanks for the anti theft tip, ST, I'll implement that soon as I'm growing Pig tails and Plump Helmets in full swing on two separate 3x3 plots. I was worried I'd have to resort to irrigation and had it all planned out but when I dug the farming area out next to the water source it was all clay loam anyway. Now I'm setting up a kitchen and brewery downstairs and I hit emerald in the dining area so that'll be swish.

I never can seem to get the bedrooms done before my dwarves need to sleep, though. But I figure that's normal. So much to do!

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:53 am UTC

It's normally best to set up temporary mass-lodgings in some other room. Just toss a bunch of beds down and declare it a barracks.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:26 am UTC

I guess that's better than nothing, but I don't like doing it. Then again, I was going to turn the area I carved out for a mason. carpenter and mechanic into my trade depot eventually, and that still hasn't happened after the first trade wagons rolled up. Not that I had need of anything or anything to trade for at that point. Too busy building everything!

Now I've got a clerk doing my stockpiles, some smoothing of the bedrooms, a whole load of migrants to help hauling stuff around and I'm breaking into a new pond to refill the well (I made it too big for the first pond).

Realised I never bought along an animal trainer or war dogs though, so the Kennels aren't build and kobolds are coming by again. Time to set up some traps. :twisted:

Except they won't work, according to the wiki. Damns. very well, Military time.

Return to “Gaming”