You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Jessica » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

It's useful to have a barracks anyway, so that's generally the first thing I make. A barracks with like 7 beds, which is enough for your first settlers.

Then when you get time, make everyone rooms.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

A few amusing Adventurer Mode "screenshots":
Attachments
df3.png
Now, what other game would allow you to do THAT?
df3.png (389 Bytes) Viewed 5092 times
df2.png
Medieval sports equipment.
df2.png (319 Bytes) Viewed 5091 times
df1.png
It's an important distinction to make.
df1.png (488 Bytes) Viewed 5094 times

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:40 am UTC

So I'm finally trying my hand at smelting now that I can get a decent sized self sufficient fortress going that trades, has a military and traps and so on.

I tried to pick a map with magma, but I don't see any. Not sure if I have to dig till I find warm stone or not, but I have bitumous coal anyway. Only thing is, I build a smelter, pile all this coal next to it, and I can't turn the coal into coke. The wiki says a smelter is what I need, but there's no task I can see. If I try to add a new task to the queue it just says I need fuel.
I'm confused.

EDIT: Think I've got it. I need 1 fuel to start the reaction to make fuel. So many little quirks!
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

yes, you have found it. I spent a while on the same problem myself, before I checked the wiki to find out that I need coke/charcoal to make coke.

On a second note, making an irrigation/well/waterfall system seems to be a bit more complicated than I had originally anticipated. I think I'm on the right track, though. I'm still debating whether to use well water in the waterfall, or whether I should use a separate reservoir.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

InstinctSage wrote:EDIT: Think I've got it. I need 1 fuel to start the reaction to make fuel. So many little quirks!

Yep. You can get that one fuel by creating charcoal at a wood burning furnace. And the quirks are what make the game. The long, long requirements of making Steel, for example, I think helps the game by making it so delightfully obscure and out of reach of many fortresses that you start viewing Iron as "Normal" and Steel as "Holy Shit, STEEL!"

Which makes Adamantine all the more delightful.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

Nah, Goblinite is more of an iron ore with only a chance for steel. Granted, you can turn iron to steel, it requires flux which not every fortress has, making steel scarce on some maps.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Nah, Goblinite is more of an iron ore with only a chance for steel. Granted, you can turn iron to steel, it requires flux which not every fortress has, making steel scarce on some maps.

and very abundant on others.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

Oh god! I just lost half a dozen dwarves to a mixture of sturgeon, carp and salmon! I don't understand! I built a well like, first thing. I never set it as a water source, but I had plenty of booze anyway.
Now I have a bustling fortress of 55 dwarves and I forgot to check my booze levels. They all started running for the river! I tried to set the well as a water source but no dice.

Code: Select all

####O-----
#~~~~~~#
#########

It's simple stuff, right? I even filled the water level up to about 6/7! It's been collecting rainwater for seasons. Why won't they drink from it?
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

Cause your dwarves hate life.
Same thing happened to one of my old forts; only it was when I started getting waterbags. Imagine losing a legendary Pump Operator/Miner/Wrestler/Hammerdwarf to fish. Now imagine losing three at once cause apparently they can't take carp
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:14 pm UTC

I just downloaded this game. Having spent two hours or so mucking about and learning starting to learn what I'm doing, I now have seven beds and a muddy floor. Woot.

I get the feeling this game will be awesome once I actually have half a clue what I'm doing. It is mildly annoying that I have to tell the dwarves everything: hey carpenter dude, why don't you stop bitching about not having a bed and, ya know, carpent one?

But I can tell that there's a ridiculous amount of depth, which will be either insanely appealing once I get past the initial confusion or else impossibly frustrating to try and juggle. Probably both.

Honestly, I just want to build some awesome deathtraps, but I think it'll be a while before I'm ready for that.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

FACM

Postby FACM » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:30 am UTC

You'll build lots of deathtraps without even trying.

Most of these traps will be aimed at your own dwarves, by accident, but deathtraps nonetheless

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:15 am UTC

I love this game so much.

My current fortress has a nice tower 5x5 hanging over my chasm.

I plan on filling it with goblins until it becomes an FPS drain, then collapsing the 15 z-level tower into the chasm. I feel that will be entertaining.

My current project is to clear out z-level 0, smooth/floor the entire thing, and build a dome type structure over it. Then begin building towers and other large structures in the nice, clear, flat space.

Oh, and for stone stockpiles, the best way to do it, is build a bunch of catapults, and have them facing a wall. Directly in front of said wall dig a channel. All of the stone will fall into the chasm, and endlessly stack up, leading to an infinite stone stockpile.

Oh. in my 165 dwarf fortress I have about 53 children sitting around. Any ideas on what to do with them?
sje46: tell them to shove plungers into their anuses
sje46: make clear that that was only for OOTD

Kells: OOTD, I am giving you my death stare
Kells: Just so you know

Christmas: OOTD I will burn your village and make slaves of your children

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:15 am UTC

By accident? What, you like to keep your nobles alive? I'll admit, since DF went 3d the nobles are much better at being less of a douche.

EDIT: @ oneofthedragon
Cage them. That's the answer to what to do with anything in DF, either cage it or kill it(maybe a little bit of both).

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

I've read 15 pages of this thread over the course of the past couple days, but haven't yet found the answers to a couple questions. I have a Kennel and trained the two dogs I brought along as War Dogs. I tried then to get the trainer dwarf to go catch me some more animals, and figured out that I needed to make traps, but then he just randomy set them around my outdoor stockpiles where they caught lizards and rats. I don't think I want lizards and rats for anything. I tried marking them to be discarded, I've got a refuse area, most of my dwarves have all hauling turned on, but the animals just stay in the traps, marked "D", going nowhere. Can I reuse the traps? Do I need a different trap for a large animal like a wild goat (GOATS ON MY MAP <3)? And how do I cage animals? I arrived with a stray Horse (tame) but it just does what it wants, I don't know how to tell it to get in a cage/tell a dwarf to cage it. I even brought five cages with me because of the extra cash I had when I took out the starting anvil.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

Build a cage ([b] a [j]cage) and then assign animals to the cage. Vermin (your small birds, snakes and the like) have to either be in a cage or in an animal trap. You also need an animal trap to move them around from cage to cage, if you build multiple cages.

Obviously, you don't want to designate this cage as a [J]ustice cage.

Larger animals - your monkeys, giant rats, naked mole dogs and the like require being caught in a Cage Trap, then tamed by your animal trainer, which often leaves a bit of waste in the cage (like bones in a cage that held a cougar, because you had to feed it a fish or something. Seeds are also common) that are sometimes a pain to get rid of - you basically have to designate them for dumping.

Your rats and lizards are basically worthless, except in a cage. In a cage you can designate it a room. A zoo.

People will start throwing parties in your zoo, and stand around chatting while admiring the pretty animals in the cage.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

Answers to several of your questions.

1.) What to do about vermin?
Vermin are annoying and give bad thoughts to your dwarves. There are multiple ways of getting rid of them. The first and easiest way is just to have a cat which will hunt vermin for you (at the risk of a catsplosion). You can also have a trapper build traps. These traps can either be set in locations and baited or you can set a "catch small live animal" job at the Kennel. A dwarf will take a trap, search for some vermin and trap it.

But what do you do with the vermin in traps? Well, believe it or not, vermin in traps qualify as food and thus are kept in the food stockpile. After some time, a dwarf will come by and actually eat the vermin, especially if there's no other food around. You can choose to tame the vermin to give it as a pet to someone who doesn't mind having a pet rat. Or you can cage it which brings us to...

2.) Cage use. Cages can be used in cage traps but you can also set a cage to be placed as a building (same as a door). From the cage itself, you can assign animals to be put inside the cage, which includes vermin. This is convenient to keep breeding of animals down.

3.) Traps can be reused but need to be empty using the above methods. I don't think a large animal like a goat can be caught in a cage trap, you have to hunt them. But I'm not sure.

4.) On the animals screen, you can assign animals as pets to other dwarves which is useful.

*Edit....Ninja'ed by SecondTalon
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

I am not sure which would be more delightful, a fearsome pair of war goats to guard my entryway or a tame giant rat to hunt and eat all the piddling-sized rats. Unfortuantely I doubt I can probably do either of these things in Dwarf Fortress.

Anyhow, to make a zoo, am I designating the single tile the cage is built on, or the entire room the cage is in?

This brings me to an interesting issue I had when making my dining halls and barracks...es. I would [b]uild beds or tables, then [q][r] one of them (if I'm remembering the key sequence correctly) to create the room. But the furniture's not in the center of the room, and I can't move the highlighted area or resize it from its default aspect ratio. So I end up building a piece of furniture dead center just to create the room from, and then getting rid of it. Is there a way around this? Creating the room the way I would create a refuse zone doesn't appear to give me the same options for Dining Room and Barracks that I get by creating the room around a table or bed.

I am reminded of another thing. I haven't started building private rooms yet, but I gather the basic requirements are a door, bed, and... a chest or cabinet? Weren't there three pieces of furniture people seem to like using? And one tile of floorspace? 2x2 rooms are pretty depressing, but it would be good to know what's advisable/required to provide at a minimum.
Last edited by Bakemaster on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

If you just increase the size of the room until it meets a wall or door it will automatically crop itself and won;t go beyond those walls or door.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Ah. Thing is, my dining hall and barracks are both accessible via a central three-wide hall, with three-wide doorways, and thus have no doors. At least, I'm under the impression there are no doors that span more than one tile, and all doors must be anchored to a wall. Is it advisable to have doors on these communal rooms? I didn't think it mattered, and the dining hall at least is in a very central traffic area.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

You could put in 3 doors? I think dwarves prefer doors, it makes rooms nicer to them.
Although, you should be able to make the room and letting it stop short of the doorway
Ⓞⓞ◯

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

You can simply expand the room to fill most of the gaps - that would work. Alternately, in the future, design areas with doubledoors rather than a three-wide span.

But you should be able to, if you want to keep the three-wide spans there, to build a table/cage/whatever situated more or less in the middle of the room more or less near the far wall, and expand it to fill up almost if not all of the room up to the three-span.

...which looks awkward written down, but makes more sense if you give it a go.

As far as how large the zoo has to be, you can make it a single tile if you want, but I usually either use them as decorations in my meeting halls (with the well) or make them their own room. And sometimes the "room" is just a 8x8 area of a large, open cavern that I just designate as Zoo.

As far as private rooms go, the bare minimum requirement is a bed. Doors are nice, but not required. Cabinets and Chests are nice as it gives your dwarves places to shove things they own so they don't just clutter up the room, but again, arein't required. At least not for non-nobles. Nobles have specific requirements as to how many chests, cabinets, armor stands and weapon racks they need, some of them (like the Baron/Count/Duke) expanding as the title expands. The most that a Duke ever needs, however, is 5 cabinets, armor stands, weapon racks, and chests. Otherwise, the nobles and their consorts are more or less identical, so you can more or less pre-fabricate the noble rooms ahead of time.

Kings need 10 of each, and unless you're making them of very precious materials they need to be of the highest quality, so it's a good idea to plan ahead.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:53 pm UTC

Oh yes, just remembered, can't build a door between two doors so you'll never fill the gap.
Can only build doors next to wall tiles.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

So construct one tile of wall in the hallway, so it'll be tight enough for twin doors.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:So construct one tile of wall in the hallway, so it'll be tight enough for twin doors.

But then that's not neat!
:o
Ⓞⓞ◯

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

An amusing bit from my current game, I gave my original 7 dwarves nicknames from ST:TNG, and I noticed yesterday that Keiko is romantically involved with O'Brien. Of course, I failed to notice I had switched their genders, but no matter. More importantly, Geordi has been ecstatic lately about being caught up in a new relationship with... Guinan! This game is downright eerie!

So, I'll put some cages in my meeting hall to pretty it up a little, assuming they'll still admire the animals when they're in a room not zoned as "zoo". I think I'll try to figure out this well business, too... If I can. After I set up my kitchen and brewery. This game is fully evil. I wish I could figure out how to extend the number of tiles on my screen vertically, but my init file has no GRID and FULLGRID entries (I'm running this prepacked version, for reference).

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

I haven't actually had time to start playing this as I'd like to, but Rock, Paper, Shotgun linked to some video tutorials if anyone else is looking to get into DF and is completely lost.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:01 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:
Yuri2356 wrote:So construct one tile of wall in the hallway, so it'll be tight enough for twin doors.

But then that's not neat!
:o

Yes, it is. It looks quite nice, especially if you don't dig out that center tile in the first place. Door - wall - door. What's not to like?
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

annals

Postby annals » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:44 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I am not sure which would be more delightful, a fearsome pair of war goats to guard my entryway or a tame giant rat to hunt and eat all the piddling-sized rats. Unfortuantely I doubt I can probably do either of these things in Dwarf Fortress.

Both are possible, if you mess with the raw files a bit. Just add a [TRAINABLE] tag to the goat entry, and a [VERMINHUNTER] tag to the giant rat's. You should be able to do it without ending your current game, even.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:18 am UTC

On the other hand, in theory you could have a large rat-splosion because apparently [Verminhunter] gives one the ability to choose one's owner.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:28 am UTC

To get more then 2 wide doorways just dig out the width you want, then re-wall back to a 2 wide space then remove the wall next to the doors then put a door there then repeat until you have your desired width.
Also if you don't want doors but you want the room to end: just re-wall, then designate the room then remove the walls.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

Are those extra doors all functional? Can forbid/keep closed and so on?

I was ambushed by some Kobolds yesterday who killed my woodcutter/carpenter. Kind of a bummer, but there was a trade caravan present at the time and I sold the kobolds' clothing for a lot more value than any of the statues or instruments I'd built so far, and wood isn't a chief concern anymore. They also killed the two dogs I brought with my wagon, but not before a couple batches of puppies came out.

I haven't had a wave of immigration yet (maybe I have to build the living areas first to attract them?), but miasma is starting to be a bit of a problem. I marked the kobold bits to be dumped, so the only problem there was the few I overlooked; but cooked food is sitting in my kitchen now and then, rotting, despite the fact that I've got food stockpiles and barrels and most of my dwarves have hauling jobs on. The food should not be sitting in the kitchen. The doors keep it out of the dining hall, and I dump it when I find it, but I can't figure out why it's happening in the first place. (I did figure out that I need a separate garbage dump and refuse pile.)

This is also starting to be a problem with things produced by other workshops, in that they've got stockpiles available with open space for the item being produced, but nobody is hauling the items to the stockpile—and I do get idle dwarves regularly so I don't know that it's just they're busy doing other things. Plus, my bins are under-utilized. I've got a stockpile full of them, but it looks like dwarves aren't consolidation un-binned items that are already in a stockpile into bins in the stockpile.
Last edited by Bakemaster on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

What does it mean when they flash blue downwards arrows?
Why did I have to dig so deep to find stone?
Why is my mason working so slowly?
How u mine 4 fish?
How do I shot web?
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

OmegaLord wrote:What does it mean when they flash blue downwards arrows?
Why did I have to dig so deep to find stone?
Why is my mason working so slowly?
How u mine 4 fish?
How do I shot web?

1. Blue arrow = thirsty. This can occur because:
-you have no water/drink
-your dwarf is stuck.

2. Only rock layers have stone. How deep you have to dig depends on the map. Note: Aquifiers suck.

3. If your mason is not well trained, or if he has many other tasks (Those walls you may be building, for example), he will take a while.

4. You mine for fish by digging into fish-stone. To fish for fish:
- [i] for zones
-make a zone on water/river with banks.
-allow fishing.
note that dwarves can walk on brooks, but not rivers.

5. You can't shoot webs. Only spiderman, carp, and the giant cave spider can.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

Been watching a few of those video tutorials; learned a few things (which I guess is the idea). Also, got an idea for a trap; would this actually work? Spoilered for size.
Spoiler:
Death Trap.JPG
I don't have a scanner, sorry.
Death Trap.JPG (53.12 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

Your mason could also be working slowly if his workshop is cluttered. [q]uery the workshop and you may see "[CLT]" near the name of the shop. It starts out very dark gray and the lighter/brighter it gets, the more cluttered a workshop is. You should be able to fix this by setting a stockpile which takes the type of items he's producing in that shop.

EDIT @ above: It looks to me like the water might flow over the door between the dwarf and the goblins, as its level is higher than the top of that door, but I haven't experimented with traps yet so I'll defer to someone with more experience...

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

Do aboveground ponds refill with rainwater after having been drained by such a mechanism?

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

My dwarves are thirsty and the workshop was cluttered. How do I fix these things? I destroyed the workshop and built a new one over the old one. Then I may or may not have accidentally flooded a small section of fortress....
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

Thirsty dwarves need alcohol or water. Alcohol can be bought or made in a Still (requires certain plants as ingredients, commonly plump helmets, and one barrel per batch), and if you've got some lying around your dwarves will find it and drink it. Water, however, requires at minimum an accessible body of water and a bucket. If you don't build a bucket your dwarves will not go drink any water. I think if you do, they go get it; you might also have to zone the body of water using [i] so they know where to go with their bucket.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Are those extra doors all functional? Can forbid/keep closed and so on?

I was ambushed by some Kobolds yesterday who killed my woodcutter/carpenter. Kind of a bummer, but there was a trade caravan present at the time and I sold the kobolds' clothing for a lot more value than any of the statues or instruments I'd built so far, and wood isn't a chief concern anymore. They also killed the two dogs I brought with my wagon, but not before a couple batches of puppies came out.

I haven't had a wave of immigration yet (maybe I have to build the living areas first to attract them?), but miasma is starting to be a bit of a problem. I marked the kobold bits to be dumped, so the only problem there was the few I overlooked; but cooked food is sitting in my kitchen now and then, rotting, despite the fact that I've got food stockpiles and barrels and most of my dwarves have hauling jobs on. The food should not be sitting in the kitchen. The doors keep it out of the dining hall, and I dump it when I find it, but I can't figure out why it's happening in the first place. (I did figure out that I need a separate garbage dump and refuse pile.)

This is also starting to be a problem with things produced by other workshops, in that they've got stockpiles available with open space for the item being produced, but nobody is hauling the items to the stockpile—and I do get idle dwarves regularly so I don't know that it's just they're busy doing other things. Plus, my bins are under-utilized. I've got a stockpile full of them, but it looks like dwarves aren't consolidation un-binned items that are already in a stockpile into bins in the stockpile.

Miasma - if you haven't, carve out a large room to make a Refuse Pile/Graveyard, seal it off with doors obviously. This will (hopefully) keep the miasma inside and not in your hallways sending out bad thoughts.

As far as the stockpiles go - make sure they're actually set to use bins as well. Sometimes I've made stockpiles that, for one reason or another, had barrels turned off. I think it's ... crap, I can't remember the keys. Something like [e] or [r] or [v] or [c] or something when you're using [q] to examine the stockpile.

If food sitting in the kitchens is a problem, grab a hauler or two and turn off everything but food hauling jobs. Same thing with item hauling and so on.

korora

Postby korora » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

When you make your refuse stockpile, keep in mind that miasma doesn't travel diagonally but dwarves do, so if the only entrances are diagonal you're all set. Alternately, you can make an airlock with double or triple doors, but that takes a lot more space.

Return to “Gaming”