You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

Okay, new question. In the stockpile settings menu, under the Food category there's a toggle for "Prepared Food" at the bottom. In the Refuse category there's a specific entry for "Prepared Food". What's up with that? Is the one in the Refuse category only rotten/rotting food? If I create a Food stockpile with all options deselected, but "Prepared Food" toggled on, will anything be stored there? Do I have to store my prepared meals outside or will someone take them to the rubbish pile as necessary when they begin to rot but before they start to produce miasma?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

Prepared food is cooked food. I think it's carried away automatically - I've never had any problems with it, anyhow.
I also go for the double doors into the refuse room. I don't like any passages going diagonal, even though it works with the game mechanics. Just looks wrong to me.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

Farming is my next issue.
My dwarves are starving (some to death) because of it.
EDIT: By this I mean I have no idea how to go about it because the tutorial on the wiki is useless.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

I've found the tutorial to explain just about everything in the game for me. You can't farm on rock, but the upper levels are usually loamy sand or something, which you can make farm plots on. You find the farm plot in the build menu, then expand the green Xs to the size you want before placing it on the loamy sand. If you've only got rock, you can irrigate it with water, but I've never bothered. (If you do want to irrigate it, you just need to have water on the tile once, ever, to make it muddy, then the tile is farmable.)

At first you should just grow Plump helmets. That's what I do mostly, as it grows fast and you can make booze out of it, which you can cook afterwards. Just make sure to turn preparing off for the plump helmets in the kitchen menu (From Z the status screen), because otherwise you won't recover the seeds.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Okay, new question. In the stockpile settings menu, under the Food category there's a toggle for "Prepared Food" at the bottom. In the Refuse category there's a specific entry for "Prepared Food". What's up with that? Is the one in the Refuse category only rotten/rotting food? If I create a Food stockpile with all options deselected, but "Prepared Food" toggled on, will anything be stored there? Do I have to store my prepared meals outside or will someone take them to the rubbish pile as necessary when they begin to rot but before they start to produce miasma?

I've not noticed that on the rubbish pile. Huh. Maybe it's simply because, due to Prepared Food being a separate option of food, in order for it to go to a rubbish pile the rubbish pile needs the same options...

Anyway...
If you make a Food Stockpile and turn everything off, yet leave Prepared Food selected, the only thing that stockpile will hold is Prepared Food.

Prepared Food in a Stockpile in a Barrel should keep indefinably. Prepared Food in the Kitchen will rot. I am unsure about Prepared Food lying in a stockpile not in a Barrel.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:48 pm UTC

Phen wrote:I've found the tutorial to explain just about everything in the game for me. You can't farm on rock, but the upper levels are usually loamy sand or something, which you can make farm plots on. You find the farm plot in the build menu, then expand the green Xs to the size you want before placing it on the loamy sand. If you've only got rock, you can irrigate it with water, but I've never bothered. (If you do want to irrigate it, you just need to have water on the tile once, ever, to make it muddy, then the tile is farmable.)

At first you should just grow Plump helmets. That's what I do mostly, as it grows fast and you can make booze out of it, which you can cook afterwards. Just make sure to turn preparing off for the plump helmets in the kitchen menu (From Z the status screen), because otherwise you won't recover the seeds.

Meantime, you can turn on fishing or hunting for dwarves to eat food.

Sidenote: Good way to bolster your food levels quickly. Brew your plants into alcohol (so you can get the seed back quickly) and then set your alcohol to be used in food cooking. Thus you'll get things like wine biscuits which is higher quality food (depending on the chef?) but you'll still have seeds to grow more food.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

Okita wrote:
Phen wrote:I've found the tutorial to explain just about everything in the game for me. You can't farm on rock, but the upper levels are usually loamy sand or something, which you can make farm plots on. You find the farm plot in the build menu, then expand the green Xs to the size you want before placing it on the loamy sand. If you've only got rock, you can irrigate it with water, but I've never bothered. (If you do want to irrigate it, you just need to have water on the tile once, ever, to make it muddy, then the tile is farmable.)

Meantime, you can turn on fishing or hunting for dwarves to eat food.

Sidenote: Good way to bolster your food levels quickly. Brew your plants into alcohol (so you can get the seed back quickly) and then set your alcohol to be used in food cooking. Thus you'll get things like wine biscuits which is higher quality food (depending on the chef?) but you'll still have seeds to grow more food.

That's what I tried to say. I may just've heard it so many times I take it for granted now.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:36 am UTC

Farming:
Make sure you set the plants to be planted on the plot in each season. [q] the farm, then select the crops you have (probably plump helmets, but you can take other seeds on embark or trade for them too) for Spring[a] Summer(b) Fall[c] and Winter[d].

I set a food stockpile next to my farms that holds only seeds. I put a kitchen and still in the room next to the dining hall and turn on everything but seeds and drinks in one, and only drinks in the other. I haven't gotten into making extracts or anything yet so it hasn't been confused yet.

Stockpiles and cluttered workshops:
What commonly happens when you get into the habit of [q][s] customising your stockpiles is you'll just make a stockpile [p] and then go and customise it. The default is an animal stockpile which never needs bins or barrels, and thus won't be set to hold any. When you change it to a finished goods stockpile, for example, it will still be set to zero max barrels/bins. You can adjust this level manually using [e]/[r] for bins and [c]/[v] for barrels.
I'll set up a craftsdwarf workshop near the trade depot with a small stone stockpile that carries only the most abundant stone I have at the time, and a finished goods pile that takes only rock based crafts, and just churn out bins of the stuff for trade. I always have more stuff to trade than there is useful stuff to buy.
I also tend to dig out large sections and get spare dwarves from each migration wave making stone blocks by the binload, again, with a bar/block stockpile set to take them, but I don't bother with stone stockpiles because that's a waste of hauling.
I change the workshop profiles so my legendary masons aren't bothered by this work and can make my fancy chairs and tables in other workshops that get the more valuable stones I dig up in their own special stockpiles, again with finished goods stockpiles to take what I'm producing there. If workshops are still getting cluttered you can always dig out a large section to hold a variety of finished goods from various workshops and set it to take from those stockpiles.

Migration Waves:
I rarely get any migrants on the first wave, but after that I get more than I know what to do with before long. If your miners have the time, build a good 8-12 living quarters and stock them up in preparation, but I'm pretty certain you don't need the housing to attract the migrants. It's just good practice to avoid having to scramble to fit everyone in.

Bakemaster wrote:Do aboveground ponds refill with rainwater after having been drained by such a mechanism?

Depends on the weather as to how much rain falls, but yes. I drained a pool to get a well for my dwarves (which they never ended up using! :evil: ) and the pond I drained is now 5/7 due to irregular rain, about 2 years later.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:55 am UTC

Well, very shortly after that point in game time, I got a full wave of 25 migrants. So, yes... bedrooms designing time.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:07 am UTC

I recovered from my well incident and now have over 400 drinks stocked up, and now my fortress has over 75 dwarves. Plus I found my magma pipe and built a smelter and forge! yay!

Although I've got a child that's stuck in some weird eternal loop. Both his mother and father died in the great sturgeon incident of 203, and he's sat in his room ever since. He doesn't starve or become dehydrated and his status seems always happy now, a full year and a half later.
But my announcements are regularly spammed with "Erin Ostoklewhatever cancelled store owned item. No access to storage" or something like that. I removed his cabinet and chest and put them back, but no fix. His door isn't locked or anything. I don't even know how he's eating and drinking.

Also, I now have 2 different barracks and have a different squad assigned to each one, but they all like to spar in the same one. I dont' really mind it so much, but I would like my magma guards hanging out in the barracks I built next to the forges. An imp attacked my smelter dwarf and nobody responded for ages. I guess I'll just have to leave them on duty and patrolling the area. Will they go get food and drink if they're patrolling or do I have to manually handle them?

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:55 am UTC

I will try to get into it IF someone can tell me how the hell I'm supposed to start. The entire thing looks so damn confusing.

(I haven't even installed it and tried it it yet. That's how terrifying it looks.)

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

korora

Postby korora » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:08 am UTC

The "Your First Fortress" guide on the wiki is ridiculously helpful.
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:24 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:Also, I now have 2 different barracks and have a different squad assigned to each one, but they all like to spar in the same one. I dont' really mind it so much, but I would like my magma guards hanging out in the barracks I built next to the forges. An imp attacked my smelter dwarf and nobody responded for ages. I guess I'll just have to leave them on duty and patrolling the area. Will they go get food and drink if they're patrolling or do I have to manually handle them?

They'll break from patrols to handle the necessities, though they will often sleep on the ground rather than head back to a barracks.

Ideally though, the best way to guard against magma creatures is preemption. Seal off the pipe itself, and fuel your industry using a dwarf-made pool with something in place to allow flow but block monsters. (Fortifications, iron bars/grates, etc)

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:45 am UTC

I was a bit shy to tackle making a magma pool because I don't have magma safe materials and I'm not sure how to make a refillable pool that doesn't overflow without floodgates. I've started mining for Bauxite but in the meantime I'm just dabbling in forging since it's my first time with magma.

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:46 am UTC

@Bakemaster:
Yes, all the doors are functional. It's a new version of a trick from way back in the 2d days, where a locked door acted as a wall so you could just lock the door then add one on next to it. But now with re-walling possible you have to use actual walls to do it since locked doors are no longer walls.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:43 am UTC

Hotcha! One of my immigrant peasants, who I'd made a soldier, went into a secretive mood. I subbed in another peasant for the squad he had been in, got him the wood and rough gems he wanted, and ended up with:
Utharmis, "Firsthazy" a Alder ring
This is a Alder ring. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of Alder. On the item is an image of Lrifirbis the kobold and "Picard" Wirehame the dwarf in Brown zircon. Lrifirbis is makign a plaintive gesture. "Picard" Wirehame is laughing. The artwork relates to the mortal wounding of the kobold Lrifirbis by the dwarf "Picard" Wirehame in Guildscar in the early spring of 202 during The Attempted Theft at Guildscar.

Fuck. Yes. Do I do something with the artifact, now? Or is he going to keep it in his room, or something?

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:55 am UTC

Furniture artifacts can be used to drastically dial up the value of a room, and artifact equipment will be put to use by your military champions. The rest just sit around and look pretty.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:03 am UTC

Yeah, nonweapon nonfurniture artifacts are useless.....

Unless you're exploring your fortress in Adventure mode. Those suckers can be traded for just about anything.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:05 am UTC

Honestly, the sudden Legendary Dwarf you have is probably worth more than the item he produced. Well except that if you destroy the ring, the dwarf will throw a tantrum probably.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:27 am UTC

Hooray, I've finally got (after ~20 failed attempts) a functional, profitable fortress going. It's survived 2 goblin ambushes, and numerous thieving attempts, but I think there's a lot of small things I've missed that would make this game much easier and more efficient. Any cool/helpful words of advice anyone can give me?

Also, is there any way to get dwarves to clear unwanted items or useless stone out bedrooms and stockpiles? I've tried making external stockpiles for stone, but the dwarves keep carrying stone out places that don't matter, like mineshafts.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:22 am UTC

Make a zone for garbage/dumpings(whatever it's called) then designate the stone to be dumped. What I like to do(although it is sort of an exploit) is dig a channel the level above my mason workshop so that it makes a hole in the roof just outside the shop, then designate it as a garbage zone. Dwarves will take the stone and dump it down the hole thus stacking all the stone on one tile right by my mason shop. It's an exploit because infinite amounts of anything can be stacked on one tile by doing it that way, commonly referred to as the "Quantum stockpile." http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Exploit#Quantum_stockpiles

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:42 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:I was a bit shy to tackle making a magma pool because I don't have magma safe materials and I'm not sure how to make a refillable pool that doesn't overflow without floodgates. I've started mining for Bauxite but in the meantime I'm just dabbling in forging since it's my first time with magma.

Magma doesn't get pressurized, so it doesn't overflow as easily as water. Look at the wiki. You just need to carve a tunnel and either put a magma-safe floodgate/grate or such in it, or simply carve fortifications into the last wall seperating you from magma, instead of digging through it. Or a few tiles back, so your miner won't get a faceful of magma, then just channel the last ones and wall up that part.

korora

Postby korora » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

Phen wrote:Magma doesn't get pressurized, so it doesn't overflow as easily as water.

It does if you pump it. Speaking of which, you should pump your magma. Just make sure the magma ends up on the same level as your pumps and you'll be fine, and your magma will flow way faster: unpumped, it crawls along and will take a long time to fill your channel if you're any distance away, but when pumped it moves faster than water. If you've got sand, green glass is the cheapest and easiest magma-safe material for pumps (or anything but mechanisms, really), but as long as you don't have magma flowing over the walkable tile of the pumps you don't actually need to worry about that.
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

korora wrote:If you've got sand, green glass is the cheapest and easiest magma-safe material for pumps (or anything but mechanisms, really)

Green glass is not a magma-safe material.

And while you can indeed make a magma pump out of wood as long as it doesn't get submerged, pumping magma does cause pump components to wear out quickly, which in the case of wood is very quickly indeed.

korora

Postby korora » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:21 pm UTC

According to the wiki, that depends on what you make out of glass.
Glass behaves oddly in regards to magma. Glass is, in itself, not magma safe; glass instruments will melt in magma. However, glass furniture will not. So glass statues, screw pumps, and floodgates are all fine when submerged in magma.

It used to say that glass was magma-safe in general, but either that was wrong or it's been changed. Still, for all practical purposes glass is magma-safe.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

korora wrote:According to the wiki, that depends on what you make out of glass.
Glass behaves oddly in regards to magma. Glass is, in itself, not magma safe; glass instruments will melt in magma. However, glass furniture will not. So glass statues, screw pumps, and floodgates are all fine when submerged in magma.

It used to say that glass was magma-safe in general, but either that was wrong or it's been changed. Still, for all practical purposes glass is magma-safe.

Glass is... strange, yeah. It may be useful to readers to recap the full details. This was covered at some length in the official forum here and here.

Has anyone tried glass mechanisms? You can't make them normally, but you can make them with modded reaction raws. You'd want [PRODUCT:100:#:TRAPPARTS:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS] where # is how many you want per smelter job.

It'd also be interesting to find glass's melting point. I'm pretty sure spirits of ...er...spoilery stuff... can melt (and/or boil) it, which means it has a melting point, and puts an upper bound of 25000 (that's 15,032°F/8,333°C) on it.

You'd have to (A) make an adventurer with FIXED_TEMP (also, FIXED_TEMP creatures can hurt themselves, so make sure to also set HEATDAM_POINT and IGNITE_POINT) (B) find a place with glass objects you can walk near (basically, you're playing the role of a spirit of ...yeah...) and (C) lots of restarting as you adjust the temperature. And what _does_ happen if glass melts and then resolidifies, anyway?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:It'd also be interesting to find glass's melting point.

It's already a liquid :P

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

*Pointy finger*
Don't start.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:
Random832 wrote:It'd also be interesting to find glass's melting point.

It's already a liquid :P

Is it really?

EDIT: I finished. :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

Jurph

Postby Jurph » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

Okita wrote:Honestly, the sudden Legendary Dwarf you have is probably worth more than the item he produced.

True. Your best bet is to give the artisan a one-tile stockpile in his room that can only hold artifact-quality rings made from wood. Also give him a coffer/chest to open and close. He'll likely squirrel it away somewhere, and once the Dwarven Economy kicks in, your highest-paid dwarves will buy things that they like. You may have dwarves who like the materials in the ring, in which case you can place it in their room instead and they'll get a kick out of seeing it occasionally. Placing it near the door of your dining room improves the chances that several dwarves will benefit from seeing it. I'm hoping that someday soon Toady will implement a "display case" that works like a cage for small items.

Your legendary woodcrafter is sadly not very useful to the fortress's survival because woodcrafting != carpentry. The fortress's best use for him is to have him cranking out ridiculous volumes of high-quality wooden bolts. Masterwork wooden bolts do double damage (hooray!) and so are equivalent to unmodified iron bolts (or superior-quality copper bolts) for combat purposes. Use stockpiles to put your non-masterwork bolts in the barracks, and your best bolts at your fortifications. This way your dwarves will deplete the low-damage bolts before training with lethal rounds. Note that dwarves will never train with metal bolts because they are reluctant to waste metal; this holds even if a dwarf has to choose between unimproved copper bolts and the (50% better) masterwork wooden bolts you have sitting around.

The fortress may prefer to have him making ammo, but the kingdom will prefer to see him making money. A legendary woodcrafter does add quite a bit of value to his raw materials! A log is worth 3 dwarfbucks, and can be converted into three wooden cups. Each cup is worth 10 dwarfbucks before quality modifiers, and a legendary woodcrafter boosts the value of items he produces by 5.8x on average. An average mixed bin of ten mugs will likely be worth 580 (bin not included), and if you segregate stockpiles by quality you can start to think of bins of mugs as currency... a mixed bin of non-masterwork mugs will be worth about 475 and a bin of masterwork mugs will be worth 1200 (prices do not include bin or any ale consumed during negotiations). 1200 could almost buy you a new anvil, and will buy single pieces of nice armor like an exceptional iron gauntlet.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:10 am UTC

Dwarfbucks?

I love it.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Better yet, I just (accidentally) discovered that the clothing industry is much more profitable then the craft industry.

I'm currently using a fortress on an aquifer, so I had no access to stone (but lots of sand, and I plan on finding the 2 magma tubes underground for my future glass industry). I needed something to trade, I tried turning pigtails into cloth, then into clothes. 1 bin of shoes is worth 2.5 currency units, and it's renewable. Unfortunately, It's only active in 2 seasons, but I think it's going to expand.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Wow.. I just have a single dwarf sitting around making (insert cheap abundant stone) rock crafts all day and trade for anything useful that comes through. I'm always swimming in bins of rock crafts because after getting all the useable weapons, armors, food and drink from the traders there's really little I want from them. I keep getting peeved that they don't bring anything useful.

But then, I mostly make what I need, like everyone.

korora

Postby korora » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:34 am UTC

If you get some rope reed seeds from the elves you can make clothes all year round. It's aboveground, though, so you'll have to deal with that somehow (I suggest a greenhouse).

I think what makes the craft industry so compelling for me is that 1. stone is better than free and 2. I always have a surplus of legendary stonecrafters from moods -- any dwarf without at least dabbling in a mood-giving profession turns into a crafter.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 am UTC

Hey, question: does magma harden into rock or something if it gets rained on? Because I was thinking about trying to make a magma moat or something around my fort. It's a long way off; I've been watching tutorial videos instead of actually playing, so I haven't even made proper bedrooms yet. But hey: plan ahead, right?
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:06 pm UTC

I don't think it does, but I'm not sure. If it did, I think magma moats would be right out, and I've heard about lots of them.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:45 pm UTC

rain only becomes water in murky pools. You have nothing to worry about.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:Better yet, I just (accidentally) discovered that the clothing industry is much more profitable then the craft industry.

I'm currently using a fortress on an aquifer, so I had no access to stone (but lots of sand, and I plan on finding the 2 magma tubes underground for my future glass industry). I needed something to trade, I tried turning pigtails into cloth, then into clothes. 1 bin of shoes is worth 2.5 currency units, and it's renewable. Unfortunately, It's only active in 2 seasons, but I think it's going to expand.

Just wait until you have twin legendary clothiers and a dyer going. Blue is the new black, you know.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

InstinctSage wrote:Wow.. I just have a single dwarf sitting around making (insert cheap abundant stone) rock crafts all day and trade for anything useful that comes through. I'm always swimming in bins of rock crafts because after getting all the useable weapons, armors, food and drink from the traders there's really little I want from them. I keep getting peeved that they don't bring anything useful.

But then, I mostly make what I need, like everyone.

Just trade for metal or wood then. Saves you the trouble of having to get the things yourself. Sure, you have easy access to those things now but eventually you'll have to mine deeper and deeper for them which increases delay in materials.

My food production is so high that I'm actually trading away food in addition to rock crafts. And I still haven't started my greenhouse yet which will give me even more food. Om nom nom.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

Legendary Cooks making Lavish Meals = $$$$$$$$$$
Mostly for the same reason that Clothing is worth more than rock crafts..

The basic idea is that any time you alter a material, you usually multiply it's value by something or other.. I'm not 100% on the numbers. Rock worked into crafts at a base level is worth 10. Plants - whatever their base value is - modified into Thread which is then modified into Cloth which is then modified into an article of Clothing goes through Three modifications - and that's assuming you don't dye it. If you dye the thread/cloth, that's four modifications.

And then you can always sew a plant image onto it, making it even more valuable.

Rock Crafts, on the other hand, do have the bonus of getting rid of some of that excess stone.

Return to “Gaming”