You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xaddak

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Xaddak » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

I intend to harvest GCS silk thusly:

Build pit (complete)
Tie up GCSes in pit (complete)
Build two levers outside of pit (complete)
Lever one opens and shuts the pit door (complete)
Lever two releases the GCSes from their ropes (complete)
Lever two releases disarmed, naked goblins from cages (incomplete)
Collect silk (incomplete)

I'm actually sieged right now, but I have two drawbridges telling the goblins they can fall in a well for all I care. I don't need outside. I am, however, going to build a whole bunch of cage traps, let them walk in, capture a lot of them, and slaughter the rest via marksdwarves.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:50 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:
I'm actually sieged right now, but I have two drawbridges telling the goblins they can fall in a well for all I care. I don't need outside.

How much wood do you have? Or is there an outdoor enclosure? Props for the WGCS though.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

I HAVE SPIDERLINGS! MUAHAHAHAHA! My WGCSes are BREEDING!

Anyway, I already have a bunch of beds, barrels, and bins, so not having a wood source isn't a problem. There IS an underground pool around here, but I haven't discovered it and built a tree farm yet.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:I HAVE SPIDERLINGS! MUAHAHAHAHA! My WGCSes are BREEDING!

Anyway, I already have a bunch of beds, barrels, and bins, so not having a wood source isn't a problem. There IS an underground pool around here, but I haven't discovered it and built a tree farm yet.

Aw, fuck yeah. Spider army ftw.

As to the trees- they don't grow underground, even with a pool. Unless that's what those tower cap mushrooms are for... (wikis)

Ah. My mistake.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

Yeah. Tower-caps grow underground, only on muddy ground, and only if you have discovered an underground pool or river. But they will grow on ANY muddy ground. Anywhere. Unless it is paved over. Which is why my waterfall system has paved roads in the tunnels.

-X

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

hehe, I suppose that's as good a use as any for the giant piles of stone a decent fortress generates.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Eh? I throw extra stone into magma. All that extra stone goes away right quick. I only keep ore and whatever main layer I am using as building material (usually a flux).

-X

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Yeah, leaving stone around hurts FPS just because there are extra objects for the processor to deal with, I believe, so that's another of the many benefits of magma.

I've finally downloaded reveal and other utilities, which are very useful for fortress planning (ok, let's hollow out this oval iron vein for my dining room) but end up making it look less pretty, I think. Also, being able to set out with more than 7 dwarves is finally allowing me to play the way I like, or at least make the first year less annoying- now I can have the seven-ten useful dwarves always working and already have the other ten dwarves I need to haul things around there to haul. The question is just where to set the population cap- something like 30 would probably be enough, but part of me feels the need to finally have a quality fortress that I let get high population... but I don't know if I lose interest because of or in spite of the swelling populations.

Here's the question, though. Should I play the uber-spot, despite its lack of a nice micro spot (no really good dining room spot, the marble's full of gunk and weird shaped, etc), or should I get a map with a giant expanse of glacier (with magma) so I can have a ton of mining space without much to eat up my FPS?

Also, war giant cave spiders that breed = win. I must attempt to do this at some point in the near future.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:58 am UTC

Personally, I like starting in flat, frozen areas with a magma pipe hoping for a slightly more interesting recreation of Nist Akath (yeah, more interesting - won't that be a trip?). But I always get stuff like "Skeletal Groundhog" instead of skelks. It sucks. Like a Hoover-brand black hole.

-X

Zalzidrax

Postby Zalzidrax » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:38 am UTC

Last time I tried that there were skeletal polar bears.

Poor dwarves didn't stand a chance. Only one managed to dig to safety, only to succumb to terror and madness.

Stormlock

Postby Stormlock » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:52 am UTC

What do you mean good place for a dining room? Just want it to look nice asthetically?

I'll say this much, even on the tiniest map possible you'll never run out of rock. Ever since Z-levels were added there's been enough stone to build 100 forts in every zone. As long as you have the variety you want, I wouldn't worry about quantity.
ImageImage

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:01 am UTC

Zalzidrax wrote:Last time I tried that there were skeletal polar bears.

Poor dwarves didn't stand a chance. Only one managed to dig to safety, only to succumb to terror and madness.

That sounds awesome.

(Edit) I think I found my happy place, when I restarted and used the fast DF client:

-X

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

I'm not sure what was going on with the adventurer I just played, but the game seemed determined to determined to keep doing bizarre things.

Exhibit 1: I enter a town... walk past the temple... notice that the town's mayor is in the middle of the temple pool, drowning... wait, what? Of course, I proceeded to loot her equipment (this is why you always put at least one point in Swimming!).

Exhibit 2: A natural aqueduct?
Spoiler:
aqueduct.png
aqueduct.png (22.58 KiB) Viewed 4285 times
Left: the ground slopes downwards, but the brook has other ideas. The black part at the top is due to a mysterious impenetrable barrier that prevents you from walking, or even seeing, too far along the top of the aqueduct.
Centre: the bit of the aqueduct below the brook itself is hollow, and there were a couple of troglodytes inside it.
Right: just before it reaches the sea, the aqueduct stops and the brook presumably teleports down to ground level.

annals

Postby annals » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:01 am UTC

Weird. Do I understand correctly that you have a layer of water floating above the ground? If so, you might want to make a bug report there.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:57 am UTC

Well.. Brooks aren't precisely water.. they're more like surface level aquifers. But if I'm understanding the image correctly, it should have been oozing water out of the bottom like crazy.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

Dropzone wrote:Exhibit 2: A natural aqueduct?[spoiler]
aqueduct.png
Left: the ground slopes downwards, but the brook has other ideas. The black part at the top is due to a mysterious impenetrable barrier that prevents you from walking, or even seeing, too far along the top of the aqueduct.

The "mysterious impenetrable barrier" is the fact that the game doesn't generate more than 1 Z-level of sky in adventure mode - try seeing if you can embark on top of it in fortress mode.

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Sat May 02, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:The "mysterious impenetrable barrier" is the fact that the game doesn't generate more than 1 Z-level of sky in adventure mode - try seeing if you can embark on top of it in fortress mode.
Heh, it looks even worse in fortress mode - beyond the adventure mode barrier, the floors of the tiles forming the top of the aqueduct disappear, resulting in a "brook" that's not actually walkable. Shortly after that, the brook disappears entirely, meaning that most of what I thought was the aqueduct is actually just two tall walls.

Anyway, I've decided that I really hate water - the last three adventurers I've played have all died by drowning. I was using the first to investigate what dwarven tunnels are like, and after getting partway through the tunnel, it seems that there was a brook clipping through the tunnel and filling it with water. I tried to swim through the water (not realising it was coming from a brook rather than a river), got stuck against the brook tiles, and drowned while trying to swim back because there was too much water in the tunnel by that point. The second one (the one who discovered the aqueduct) hit a random encounter with wolves, spawned right on the edge of a pool, and got knocked in. I'd managed to keep the third one alive for a long time, and had acquired awesome equipment (exceptional iron: chain mail x 3, plate mail, helm, gauntlets, greaves, high boots, shield, two-handed sword) after learning of a kobold cave which turned out to be packed with treasure (which the kobolds didn't seem to mind me walking off with...). I decided to swim to a volcanic island just off the coast near the adventurer's home town, both to gain a few levels of Swimming and to get credited with reaching the peak. That all went fine (I stumbled across a cave on the island too), but when I tried to swim back, the sea decided to go all screwy and drown me :x

Also, just a fun thing - I decided to try doing this using POV-Ray as the renderer, and it works pretty well. Here's the world I used for the third adventurer I mentioned: 1, 2, 3 (warning, huge ass-files).

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

That is really frigging cool.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Sat May 02, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

Anyone know how you get to butcher animals that have been killed outside of the butcher's workshop?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 02, 2009 9:09 pm UTC

Thadlerian wrote:Anyone know how you get to butcher animals that have been killed outside of the butcher's workshop?
There should be a "Haul to butcher shop" job that gets generated. Hunters should also drag their prey to the shop on their own.

It could be that no one's getting around to moving the body to the butcher shop before it rots. There's kinda a narrow window between death and rot.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sat May 02, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

As I recall tame non pets can't be butchered if they died of unrelated causes, which should be fixed in the next version. I'll have to check, it might be some other category of creature, but I think it's tame non-pets...

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

Just saying... bronze colossus + siege + dwarf caravan = good times.

-X

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Tue May 05, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

Just getting more reminders of how awesome this game is.

Building a castle, complete with walls and moat. It went well for a while, then an easily repelled goblin invasion took out one dwarf too many, and the whole thing descended into tantrum hell. In the end, 1/6 of the population had slaughtered the remaining 5/6. Then there was peace.

Slowly rebuilding, I decided to have some fun with the nearby magma vent. I carved out a huge block of the ground and dropped into the boiler. The splash was colossal, spraying magma several z-levels up. I then channeled my moat into the now uncovered vent to do some cave-in experiments.

Some experiments later, there is now a 10 levels high vertical obsidian shaft in the vent. I have absolutely no idea what happened.

My elite military survived the whole tantrum spiral, and as population started building, I successfully repelled several large sieges.

At this point, I started getting messages like "Urist McMiner cancelled dig: Dangerous terrain."

WTF?

It turns out, the water from the vent experiment had found a way down and then up stairs, and had started flooding my fortress. By the time I found out, the tombs of the previous generation of nobles had been submerged. Sleep well.

I decided some water couldn't hurt, and just walled off my secondary stairwell, which was where the leak was located. All was well.

But the problem was that to keep up my construction of a huge rock salt castle on the ground, huge areas of the underground is mined out, connected with odd stairs up and down. Befor I got warned, the leak had spread, and my primary stairwell had been flooded.

I walled off again, never considering going after the water SOURCE, and thought I had it all under control. Water spread around, and I walled it out, relocating my stockpiles and watching my fortress getting increasingly more resemblant of a huge cistern.

Immigrants poured in, despite the bloody history of the place. I was getting steel production up to speed, and had started sacrificing goblins to Armok by kicking them into a nearby magma pool.

Which was when I accidentally noticed my largest rock mine (used as my second huge graveyard) started filling with water from above and below at the same time. That was pretty serious. I tried to wall it off locally, but all nearby rock had gone into the castle. So I wrote of the whole freaking cavern, salvaging my stockpiles and sentencing some of my buried dwarves to continue their eternal sleep under water.

Which was when the dragon appeared.

Well, any hope of weathering off its attack, spraying it with bolts from the safety of my battlements went awry when I remembered that my moat bridge lever was in my old meeting room, 5 z-levels down into the cistern that now almost entirely dominated the fortress.

So I sent out my military, hoping for the best. They were utterly obliterated by the dragon spraying fire east and west, destroying grass and roads alike. At some point, it was pushed into the moat (which already had consumed a considerable number of dwarves and goblins). I thought "Ah, that's it, then?" But no, the freaking thing hauled itself straight out of it again, and advanced on my castle. However, eating another squad of marksdwarves left it mightily tired, and it collapsed, allowing my wrestlers to clobber it to death.

Of course, not before it had managed to set fire to my barracks, a lot of dwarves, and some packed lunch dog meat which is still burning fiercely by my gates.

I have survived. Most of the dead dwarves were relatively new immigrants without too many bondings, but a couple still went insane. Now I'm just waiting for my next siege to wipe me out, as my badly wounded mechanic was among those catching fire, and there's now no hope repairing my portcullis or bridge within a short time.

This should be a nice post to show off to anyone you may want to get into DF.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue May 05, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

...I fought a Titan earlier that died in about thirty seconds.

I feel retroactively bored now.

-X

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

I've had babies get left in moats dug around remote watchtowers. Fortunately, it was a dry moat.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed May 06, 2009 2:15 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:My dwarves seem to inexplicably enjoy tossing their babies into pools of water to drown.

You heard me.

I think I already told this story in this thread, but I once had a moat with bridges over it in my meeting hall room (so my dwarves would see the bridges and get happy thoughts). This one lady dwarf kept getting pregnant OVER and OVER and giving birth in the same spot, and, well, you know how the child appears NEXT to the mother?

*splash*

-X

Paranatural

Postby Paranatural » Wed May 06, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:My dwarves seem to inexplicably enjoy tossing their babies into pools of water to drown.

You heard me.

If dwarves ever enter any water they immediately drop their babies and haul themselves to safety, even if it's 1/7 water.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Wed May 06, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

Is it just random, or do Mechanics take ridiculously long and frequent breaks?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed May 06, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Thadlerian wrote:Is it just random, or do Mechanics take ridiculously long and frequent breaks?

If you draft and then un-draft a dwarf, you will stop their break at the expense of a sad thought.

If you have a very fancy dining room and perhaps a waterfall or three, that sad thought won't even matter.

-X

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed May 06, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

Thadlerian wrote:Is it just random, or do Mechanics take ridiculously long and frequent breaks?
Break frequency and length is (most likely) determined by a dwarf's personality.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

Planning to set off on an empty build - bringing nothing.

The core of the challenge lies in surviving until the first caravan gets me access to tools, materials, and other resources. My initial subsistence fort will survive by juggling around the three logs that come from dismantling the waggon. (Can't make anything out of them, or I'll have no parts for the trade depot. But I can toss up different workshops long as I tear them down come autumn.) The economy should be primarily fish-based, with bones being made into export goods so we'll have something to pay for supplies. May also be able to get something from selling meals, which will be a good way to make up for the lack of barrels. (That's a big concern. Won't have anywhere to keep booze until I have surplus logs) Agriculture can get up to speed rather quickly via plant gathering.

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed May 06, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Break frequency and length is (most likely) determined by a dwarf's personality.
And how much booze is available, according to wiki.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu May 07, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:Planning to set off on an empty build - bringing nothing.

The core of the challenge lies in surviving until the first caravan gets me access to tools, materials, and other resources. My initial subsistence fort will survive by juggling around the three logs that come from dismantling the waggon. (Can't make anything out of them, or I'll have no parts for the trade depot. But I can toss up different workshops long as I tear them down come autumn.) The economy should be primarily fish-based, with bones being made into export goods so we'll have something to pay for supplies. May also be able to get something from selling meals, which will be a good way to make up for the lack of barrels. (That's a big concern. Won't have anywhere to keep booze until I have surplus logs) Agriculture can get up to speed rather quickly via plant gathering.
This prospect horrifies me. I am very much interested to see if you succeed.

I mean... no indoor stockpiles, so those plants you gather will have a short lifespan. No defenses while all your starting dwarves fall asleep at the same time. No defenses besides wrestling!

I've gone the opposite way with my fortresses- I've started embarking with 20ish dwarves so I can have more specialized dwarves (no more brewer/cook!) and I don't have to wait a year to finally get haulers when startup is the most haul-intensive time.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 07, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

The closest I've done is by disembarking with a single axe and some war dogs.

The first year is *hard*. Subsequent years are not so bad, and once you get some mining picks, it's pretty much indistinguishable from other fortresses.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

First test occurred in a rather calm environment, just a proof of concept. We've reached autumn without any disruptions. Settled in brookside, dwarves fed on fish, prickle berry, and eventually rat weed. Sadly, no plants around that I could process in a farmer's shop for sale come autumn. (Only had things I could make into dye, which would need a quern) Got small gardens going rather quickly to keep a steady supply of foods to supplement the brook fish. Cycled the waggon logs through being a kitchen, fishery, butcher, tanner, and craftsdwarf's shop. Spent the time firing off bone crafts and ammo, and shell decorations. Slaughtered one of the waggon animals (Pair of male muskox this time) made the leather into a bag and crafted the skull and bones. Managed to make two meals out of the fish and the ox-fat. Overall, I'd say we have a bit under 1000☼ worth of stuff to sell off. At the end of summer I tore down all the workshops and set up the depot. Hopefully there'll be an axe or pick up for grabs. If there's nothing but building materials and containers I'll be under a fair deal of stress...

Also, I don't have a proper appraiser, so I'll be trading by wiki reference or simply playing by ear.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Sat May 09, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:So some imps spawned within the lava trench that feeds my forges, behind the fortification that should block them. There were no serious damages, but I had to wall it off to prevent them from spreading; my military is a sad bunch. Tips on training a military without access to my metal piles?

edit:

Scratch that, I just saw one go through the fortification. WTF?

Crossbows should be used to kill fireimps, as they are rather nasty up-close. Also, it's a bug but fluid flowing can push things through fortifications.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat May 09, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Fire imps are nasty period. Maybe my marksdwarfs just suck eggs, but all that happens is that one of them gets hit in the head by a fireball, and then a forest fire starts.

annals

Postby annals » Sat May 09, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

Yeah, I always thought that fire imps were safer to melee, as they don't try to chuck fireballs as much then. Whenever I have a fortress with a magma pipe I just make a meeting area right at the lip and let the dogs deal with them right as they climb out.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun May 10, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

We should do something like Boatmurder. I don't if it's been suggested or done already because the search function hates me, so sorry if it has.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Mon May 11, 2009 2:48 am UTC

Levi wrote:We should do something like Boatmurder. I don't if it's been suggested or done already because the search function hates me, so sorry if it has.

You mean like this? I think you can sign up in the thread.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

Return to “Gaming”