You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

I should also mention that each point will probably end up being it's own fortress. You figure #1 out, everyone starves in the meantime. You figure out #2 just in time for everyone to starve to death or run down because they have to move so far to get to the food and it's all gone bad anyway. You figure #3 out, everyone gets possessed, can't get their needs, go mad, everyone gets depressed, everyone dies. #4 gets figured out and you start on #5 and accidentally flood your fortress. Fortresses #6-8 all also get flooded out so you abandon them. #9 is when you finally figure out how NOT to flood your fortress and how to get a decent trade going.. and a small squad of six goblins take out enough of your dwarves to cause everyone else to enter the depression spiral that ends in an orgy of homicide and suicide. Your 10th fortress is where you figure out how to balance professional military dwarves (Make them all guards), Guards, and regular peons as well as putting barracks and such near the entrances, occasionally drafting a guard to go on a patrol in a frequently invaded area, and the number of goblins invading becomes too much and you realize that traps would help simplify the whole thing...

And #11 is just figuring out how to deal with Nobles and their goddamn stupid demands and idiotic mandates (Hey, Count, how the FUCK am I suppose to make 3 Fine Pewter objects if I don't have any goddamn Fine Pewter on hand? Or even the damn ability to make any, because I can only find fucking Copper? FUCK YOU!)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:46 am UTC

Is this game real-time? What about the adventure mode?

I'll get this as soon as exams are over.

FACM

Postby FACM » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

Things I learned from my second defeated fortress, Toolfloors:

-Wilderness means 'goblin attacks back to back, up to 6 squads at once'.
-You can never have too many empty coffins. Yes, this was discovered shortly after the first, why do you ask?
-Traps along every fortress entrance mean nothing when half your stronghold is at the pond drinking because you ran out of booze.
-Trade negotiations are way harder without someone being trained in negotiation. Don't let your broker get injured.
-Goblins are more than content to wait for a trade caravan to arrive before attacking out of nowhere.
-When you're down to one lone dwarf polishing floors and hunting vermin, you may find that goblins are keeping him alive by killing merchants bringing food. Goblins are almost as mean as the guy telling this lone survivor the whole fortress needs polished so archaeologists of the future will respect the craftsmanship.
-Dig way more than you need. Metal is more plentiful than I thought, but it takes some looking for sometimes.

Things to get a handle on soon:
-Water manipulation. This will require:
-Better idea of what makes a good fortress location. After starting 5 forts, and having 2 die, I know now a little more of whats important.
-Making a real military.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Thadlerian wrote:Is this game real-time? What about the adventure mode?

I'll get this as soon as exams are over.

Depends on how you're defining real time. Apparently, and this is just what I've gathered by reading the wiki.. the average dwarf's step takes 10 units of time. You can pause the game and advance time by one unit with the spacebar (pause) and . key.. every press of the . key advances time blah blah blah.

As the game advances, time slows down - this isn't because the game is coded to slow down, this is because when you have 130 dwarves and 200+ animals roaming free as well as merchants, sneaking goblins and kobolds, and possibly sneaking ambush goblins, the pathfinding pretty much increases the amount of time needed to process every time unit to a point where the delay becomes noticeable. (Protip - build or bring a cage with you, and put every animal not involved in fortress defense in said cage. They'll just breed like crazy in there, providing you with meat, bones, and leather)

Whenever you issue commands, time pauses. You can spend hours drawing out an intricate path to be mined without fear of a miner bashing down a wall you only accidentally designated to be removed.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

So I tried to start digging underground and kept on running into damp stone. Apparently it appears the entire mountain was filled with water like a jelly donut. I'm not even sure how to predict that/ how to prevent that/ how to deal with it. O.o
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

When you pick your location, it should say something like "There's an aquifer here! Stone will be hard to come by.. are you sure this is what you want?" and you have to say Yes to continue.
aquifer.JPG

This is an example of Aquifer-tastic land. I circled the Aquifer indicator, which as near as I can tell means that part of the landscape, if not all of it, has an aquifer.

Getting past it pretty much requires either lava be pumped in (really hard to do at the begining) or you expose a section to air, wait for winter and after it freezes, you tunnel into it and build walls to keep the water out.

It's easier to just not have an aquifer, as indicated by this screen
NoAquifer.JPG

Interestingly enough, when there didn't appear to be an aquifer you can actually find places that are aquifers. Using the F1-F4 keys will show you any biomes that the fortress will be built within - so if you have a piece of an aquifer biome in your lands, you might have an aquifer on the edges of the map.

I'm still not sure on how to figure out what makes the Aquifer message appear or not.. if you didn't get one when you started the map, just dig elsewhere and you should make it through.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

The only reason I can see for building in an aquafer is if you have a volcano.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

So, am I the only one who enjoys the process of starting and building up a fortress more than managing one later in the game?
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:So, am I the only one who enjoys the process of starting and building up a fortress more than managing one later in the game?
No. I've found the gameplay between 30 dwarves and 60-70 dwarves (I think that's the highest I've gotten before saving and starting a new one) to be far too repetitive, and so will start over rather than just carve out ten new rooms every year and watch it run.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Protip - build or bring a cage with you, and put every animal not involved in fortress defense in said cage. They'll just breed like crazy in there, providing you with meat, bones, and leather

and here I was having the clothier level by making a zillion ropes and having a big room for holding them all on separate cells.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

I have a question!

Why does it occasionally say, "There is nothing to catch in [location]?" Is that my hunter or whatever saying "wtf, mate"?
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Kag

Postby Kag » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:56 am UTC

It's more or less just a notification that your dwarf is going to be looking for food in a different part of the map for a while.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Snoof

Postby Snoof » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:15 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:I have a question!

Why does it occasionally say, "There is nothing to catch in [location]?" Is that my hunter or whatever saying "wtf, mate"?

IIRC, that general refers to fisherdwarves having fished out a water source, like a river or a pond.
If I had a signature, you wouldn't be reading this.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:43 pm UTC

I've gotten "there is nothing to catch in the magma vent" before though... are they really fishing in magma?

-X

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:I've gotten "there is nothing to catch in the magma vent" before though... are they really fishing in magma?

I've never seen that one... I suppose if you can fish for fire snakes, then they are.

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Well, I already detailed the "sucks to be you"-atron earlier in the thread, but I've been thinking about setting up a fortress with siege defenses.

Traps really need to be nerfed, though. I spent like a year setting up a hall filled with drawbridges, and made the entire thing obsolete with just a few rows of weapon traps and some stone fallers. Granted, the weapon traps were filled with 10 serrated discs each, but still, an entire goblin army should not be eliminated that easily.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:07 am UTC

Mother of god. I tried this game tonight. No idea what to do. It seems interesting so I'm gonna work on it, but damn. Makes the first twenty minutes of Morrowind
feel simple and easy.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

integral

Postby integral » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:19 am UTC

Kag wrote:Well, I already detailed the "sucks to be you"-atron earlier in the thread, but I've been thinking about setting up a fortress with siege defenses.

Traps really need to be nerfed, though. I spent like a year setting up a hall filled with drawbridges, and made the entire thing obsolete with just a few rows of weapon traps and some stone fallers. Granted, the weapon traps were filled with 10 serrated discs each, but still, an entire goblin army should not be eliminated that easily.

They do take the fun out of things. But it's always great to have a really complex defense that works out well instead of those. I personally prefer twenty champion marksdwarves armed with steel bolts.

I think the hardest part about goblin sieges are cleaning up after them. Each goblin generates like 20 items to be hauled. I generally trade off the narrow clothes to caravans (not elves, damn their anti-blood) and melt the rest. But melting all that narrow steel stuff and listening to my CPU peg is really irritating.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

You know, I've never had a problem trading bloody items to elves. You do, however, have to really pay attention to everything, as even a stone item merely decorated with leather pisses them off.

Still, to be completely safe, it's best to just trade stone crafts with the elves. Or just seize everything they have and kick them out.

FACM

Postby FACM » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

For one [doomed] fortress, I sealed off the entrance to my fortress after an elven caravan arrived. As it turns out, after standing around for ~ 6 months with no way home, elves go crazy. I figured they'd just wait until the walls eroded or something

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

Does anyone know what the rate of consumption is for food for dwarves? I feel like my food stores aren't enough but I can't tell.

Anyway, this game is sucking up my life. I can practically see my soul'd escaping my body.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

FACM

Postby FACM » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

The wiki says dwaves drink about 18 units in a year. I don't see numbers on food consumption, but I would suspect it comes in around that range.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

A dedicated grower/brewer (As in, his only jobs are Farming, Brewing and Food Movement) growing Plump Helmets (which can be brewed as well as eaten) can make enough food to sustain a fortress up to at least 40 some odd dwarves, if not more as he'll be getting damn good at his job by then.

Still, cooking is always a good idea as you end up with more food overall.

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

Lt Greatsocks wrote:Mother of god. I tried this game tonight. No idea what to do. It seems interesting so I'm gonna work on it, but damn. Makes the first twenty minutes of Morrowind
feel simple and easy.

Try downloading a tileset. It makes it much more understandable

BTW for my recent fortress, I built in a jungle. I set up a zone inside my fort but every non fisherdwarf went out there and got eaten by crocs anyways......help
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

You might want to forbid any random items outside, and in the Orders menu (o) you can set it so that only soldiers or no dwarves at all go outside.

As far as tilesets go, after playing for a while I got one to try it out. I then stared in confusion at the screen for a while. "What the hell is this thing tied up where I left my d? Looks like a german shepherd or so... OH! THAT IS MY d!"

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Thu May 01, 2008 7:41 am UTC

I sort of want a tileset but I'm also kind of lazy when it comes to buggering around with the stuff.

I've mostly been working on trying to get the "perfect" well. Ie. to dig out the perfect amount of space so that when I drain the damn thing, the maximum amount of water goes down with the minimum amount of waste/ overflowing.

Well obsession. Heh.

FACM

Postby FACM » Thu May 01, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

Wow. They weren't kidding about vicious carp. One of my current forts has lost a dozen dwarves and a war dog to the bastards.

New rules of riverside fortresses: build a grate to keep fish out of reservoirs, and cross the river by digging under, not building a bridge over.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 01, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

And the carp have been toned down.

I think before they would leap out, follow your dwarves back to their home, kill them there, hack your computer, download your bank account information, steal your money, and spend it all on hookers and blow.

FACM

Postby FACM » Thu May 01, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

No wonder 'carp' isnt an option for Adventure mode. They're clearly unbalanced.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Thu May 01, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

After making a fortress in the middle of a Goblin Fortress to "see what would happen", I got what I felt was a great idea: Build one in the middle of an Elven Fortress! Let those green bastards take the hit in a Goblin invasion!

So I made one in the middle of an Elf "Fortress" (it looks more like a flat plain with Elves everywhere). There haven't been any problems so far, but we'll see.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Fri May 02, 2008 4:16 am UTC

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri May 02, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

Three panel soul is awesome.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

FearoftheDomo-Kun

Postby FearoftheDomo-Kun » Sat May 03, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

Just started up my third fortress, and i must say it's going swell so far. This time i've settled at a volcano, and i'm loving it. Smelting iron nonstop, making tons of weapons and armor, and finally managed to make my trade depot accessible to caravans. Was a bit rough in the beginning, my woodworker/carpenter got snatched by a eagle and hacked to pieces :x . Also had a few attacks by fire imps (my fortress is right by the volcano), but now i've sealed myself off from the lava apart from a channel which is used for magma smelters etc. As of yet (summer, year 2) i've had no goblin attacks. My defence should be tight enough, i've built walls to funnel enemy forces through stone-traps and i'm working on setting up a ballista.

Christ this game is awesome.

Edit: A question: Is there a way to see what my soldiers are currently equipping? For example, i've set most of my soldiers to use plate mails on the military screen, but how do i know they're actually equipped?
So glad to meet you, Angeles

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 03, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

What your soldiers do is get the best they can.. they get all the plate they need, and if they cannot find, say, greaves, they get chain leggings, and if they can't find those, leather.

To actually see what they have, (V) select them, and look at their (I)nventory.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sat May 03, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

Meh, I really want to get into this game, but I've only had one fortress so far that I ended up flooding just to see what would happen.

Starting up a new fortress just stops me, I always spend too much time looking through the guides for what items and skills I'll need... And then I get annoyed and close the game. :(
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Sun May 04, 2008 1:44 am UTC

fun game once you get going

I was playing, and my clothier went into wonder mode, but i accidentally hit "O" at the trader's instead of "T", so i lost all my valuable stuff. and then my clothier went insane and took off all his clothes
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sun May 04, 2008 7:11 am UTC

Anyone know how the aging for dogs work? I want to start training some war dogs just to complement my military but all I've got are puppies who seem to never age...?

Anyway, I just found out the area I'm in has absolutely no sand which means I'm never getting glass. Oh well... I suffered greatly due to a kobold ambush but luckily got an influx of migrants who are now being trained to handle everything.

Snoof

Postby Snoof » Sun May 04, 2008 8:08 am UTC

Okita wrote:Anyone know how the aging for dogs work? I want to start training some war dogs just to complement my military but all I've got are puppies who seem to never age...?

Puppies take a couple of years to reach maturity. I typically have several dozen puppies going at a time, to keep a steady influx of dogs.
If I had a signature, you wouldn't be reading this.

LASD

Postby LASD » Sun May 04, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

I didn't see anyone mention the DF Map Archive: http://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php

It's not that helpful, but very interesting. Especially the movies section.

And I didn't notice anyone saying anything about the bay12games forum:http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi. Are there any people here that have registered? I love that forum. There's so much interesting things to read there, like the stories.

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the greatness of Boatmurdered: http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/. To those who don't know it: Boatmurdered is a DF succession game (which means that different players play a fort a year at a time and write the things that happened there in character.) it captures the very essence of Dwarf Fortress. Some people certainly think "Ewwwww, fanfic.", but the developers of Dwarf Fortress have made the game with the intention that stories could be told about it. In fact the development of the game is based on the stories written by the developer's brother and the things they would like to see happen in games.

Boatmurdered is damn funny and well written. It made me as well as many other players get interested in Dwarf Fortress and especially it made me keep learning and playing the game to achieve same kind of epic moments and stories. And after I had learned enough, the game started rewarding me with numerous amazing and exciting occurrances.

Like the time I accidently captured a hydra into a cage trap and let it out when elf traders came. It killed all the elves and their mules only to get killed by one dagger in a weapon trap which tore out one of it's necks.

Also I rather enjoyed this: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-310-thepartingofthesea. I have never been as pleasantly surprised and confused about anything that has happened in any game, than at the time the summer came and I noticed that the Sea was missing a part.

This is by far my favorite game.

P.S. I have no idea how to make the links look nicer.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

well the first thing you do it make three more posts
and then you do it like this

Code: Select all

[url= http://forums.xkcd.com/]like this[/url]

also I ofund another comic about dwarf fortress
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0150.html

Return to “Gaming”