You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Upsilon

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Upsilon » Wed May 27, 2009 3:02 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:Dwarven Rapture bonus points

Don't forget naming your expedition leader "Andrew Ryan", having your own geothermal power plant (magma forge), and twerking the dwarves so that they can throw fireballs.

I'd like to start up another fortress and finally get water pressure down, but I know that I'm just going to end up leaving it half finished.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Sat May 30, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

Does anybody know if there's a way to get someone to leave your party in adventurer mode? On a whim, I decided to rescue a human prisoner from a goblin tower. I managed to get her back to human lands without her being eaten too badly by wolves, even managed to track down her aunt (running the food shop in the capital), then realised I had no idea how to get her to stop following me...

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat May 30, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

Let her have another go with the wolves?
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun May 31, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

Have you tried chatting with her?
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

Crap guys, the WoW thread has almost caught up with us in terms of thread length (quality, however, is questionable. This IS WoW we're talking about)! Everybody spam posts!

That said, we ought to have a superproject competition or something. How about a giant lava-spewing tower that reaches to the top level of the map, and floods the entire surface and annihilate your enemies, (and pretty much everything else), while the dwarves comfortably live behind sealed steel doors? It'd be like Fallout in Dwarf Fortress, with magma playing the part of nukes.

That's actually an even better idea.

Create a new fort.
Use twerk or another program to alter the game so you start with extra dwarves (50-100?).
Seal them in behind locked doors with all of their supplies immediately.
Whoever survives longest, wins.

Or, better yet, we could run that as a bloodline game.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Have you tried chatting with her?
I have, and it just gives the usual options, none of which do anything useful (selecting "Join" again just makes her say something like "Yes, let us continue!"). I ended up pinching her (a wrestling move that causes pain but no actual injury) until she fell unconscious, then travelling away. This worked, although it annoyed her somewhat:
childthreat.png
Did I mention that she's three years old?
childthreat.png (957 Bytes) Viewed 3488 times

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

Dropzone wrote:
Vaniver wrote:Have you tried chatting with her?
I have, and it just gives the usual options, none of which do anything useful (selecting "Join" again just makes her say something like "Yes, let us continue!"). I ended up pinching her (a wrestling move that causes pain but no actual injury) until she fell unconscious, then travelling away. This worked, although it annoyed her somewhat:
childthreat.png

Did you try talking to the aunt? I'm not clear on how adventure mode works, is this a quest you got from someone or did you just kind of walk into a goblin tower?

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure that in adventure mode you're stuck with your companions until they die. Sadly adventure mode is way behind fortress mode in terms of completion so there's a few things like that that aren't implemented yet.

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:Did you try talking to the aunt? I'm not clear on how adventure mode works, is this a quest you got from someone or did you just kind of walk into a goblin tower?
The latter. Like Thendash said, adventure mode is fairly bare-bones at the moment - the only "official" quests you can get are of the form "kill <insert name here> for us". Now, a good way to get money is to go from town to town (to forest retreat to mountain hall), asking someone in each town to tell you all about the surroundings (i.e. selecting the "Surroundings" conversation option and spamming the enter key until you're fairly sure they've told you everything). You'll usually learn of a cave or two, upon visiting which you will often find treasure scattered around, having been stolen from nearby towns by a (semi-)megabeast who once lived (or still lives) in the cave. Goblins usually aren't hostile to adventurers, so you can go to their towers and ask them about the surroundings just like you can in a town. I was doing just that, and it happened that the first creature I saw was a human prisoner rather than an actual goblin. Before I closed the conversation, I decided to see if the game lets you rescue prisoners by selecting the "Join" option, and it turns out that it does - she replied with something like "Take me away from this place" and joined my party. Asking about her family a few times revealed that she had an aunt who was a shopkeeper in the capital of the nearby human civilisation, and who I could therefore find fairly easily. I did so, and that was when I realised that I didn't know of any sensible way to get her to leave the party. I think Thendash is probably right that there isn't one in the game at the moment.

On an unrelated note, here's a slightly confused NPC (their shop had been destroyed by a giant a while ago):
Mixed messages.png
Mixed messages.png (1.81 KiB) Viewed 3375 times

nixiepixel

Postby nixiepixel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:30 am UTC

Hello! I recently tried Dwarf Fortress in my search for free and open source games that don't suck, and I liked it, but I couldn't really get into it. The sheer complexity left me whimpering in fear.

I would like to get back into it thanks to all the positive comments here, but while wading (skimming ;)) through the dozens of pages on the topic I probably missed it if a real newbie guide was posted anywhere. Really basic things, such as where to put your first fortress, what to bring, and what to do next out of the thousands of different commands available.

Does something like that exist?

Thanks!

~Nix

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:25 am UTC

There's the wiki, of course, that you can look pretty much anything up at.
There's also a couple of starter guides there, too, but I can't remember where I found the brand new and improved one.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:36 am UTC

The wiki is your biggest friend, whether just starting out or a seasoned vet of the game. http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page
To start out you'll want to read the "your first fortress" article: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Your_first_fortress
The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial is REALLY long(like 12 parts I think) and covers way more then you need to know when starting out but it might be nice to skim through the beginning since it sort of explains what you're looking at in ascii land. http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/
My personal favourite is Indecisive's Illustrated Fortress Mode Tutorial. http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Indecisive%27s_illustrated_fortress_mode_tutorial
But honestly, remember the dwarf fortress mantra, "losing is fun." Just try things out, that's the funnest part of the game, but if you really can't get something to work then that's where the wiki/bay12 forums/this thread come into play.
Good luck in learning the game, it definitely has a very steep learning curve, especially now that it's in "3d"(2d DF had it's own quirks and was probably harder overall but learning it I felt was a lot easier).

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:14 am UTC

Gah, why doesn't my dwarves ever make anything nice with their artifacts. For the first time I actually have adamantine thread, but will the clothier with a mood use it? Noooo!

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 pm UTC

Captn'duck made these 25 tutorials. That is how I got started. These are really good.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

Wut?
I'm being sieged by goblins and a few humans, led by the local leader and elf hammerlord: Elana Fogopened the Golden Boot of Incest. Who flashes in such a nice purple colour.

... I'll repeat.

WUT?

EDIT: While I'm on the subject, a lot of those goblin names are hillarious (when you consider how easy they die). Budghoul. Massivemonstrous. Hatedstrapped. Scourgepuke. Spiderysecrets. Ghoulmucus. Hatepuke. Badtyphoon. Worriedterrors.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

I would seriously recommend using a graphics package as well. I use this bad boy because I am not hardcore enough to learn all the ACII stuff. Makes starting the game a lot less intimidating.

The elf guy must have been stolen from birth and then trained in the art of hitting shit really hard by his goblin mentors, eventually learning to flash purple.

That is fricken weird though.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

nixiepixel wrote:Hello! I recently tried Dwarf Fortress in my search for free and open source games that don't suck, and I liked it, but I couldn't really get into it. The sheer complexity left me whimpering in fear.
If the tutorials posted don't do it for you, or you just don't feel like reading all of that, tackle it in stages.

Stage 1 - Learn how to Mine, Harvest Wood, Run a Carpenter and Masonry Workshop, farm Purple Helmets and create a still. All you need to learn to do this is create three workshops (the carpentry workshop, the mason workshop, and the still) create one farm plot, at least one stockpile, and you need to make sure you bring along at least one mining pick, one axe, and several plump helmets.

That's it. And creating items in the Mason's shop, creating items in the Carpenter's shop, and brewing alcohol will teach you the basics on what dwarves need to survive (beds, barrels, and "brews")

Once you've mastered that, you can expand outward to the other workshops and such. In mastering those simple tasks, you'll learn how to designate large areas for a task or whatever, you should start tinkering with stockpiles just to see what they can hold and so on. During all of this, you'll be hit with several immigration waves and should have time to get used to taking in newcomers.

And then you'll be overrun by goblins and everyone slaughtered. And that's fine. You shouldn't even hope that your first ten survive. Hell, if your first five survive past the first year, you're doing better than I did starting out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:I would seriously recommend using a graphics package as well. I use this bad boy because I am not hardcore enough to learn all the ACII stuff. Makes starting the game a lot less intimidating.

The elf guy must have been stolen from birth and then trained in the art of hitting shit really hard by his goblin mentors, eventually learning to flash purple.

That is fricken weird though.

I've heard it happens at times, though, so not too wierd. There's a lot of elves in that civ, apparantly. I'm amused by the fact that she was wearing an elf bone crown and a full outfit of elf leather clothing...

Also SecondTalon, I've never gotten slaughtered by goblins. Did flood my fortress "just to see what would happen" though. But it took so long for the gobbos to arrive that I had time to train up a military to beat them down... Or trap them to death, I don't remember which. Or maybe I just made a moat and a drawbridge and waited them out, maybe a combination of all three.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

.. on your first fortress?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

Yes. I did consult the wiki a lot though.

I wouldn't call my first encounter with DF my first fortress, though, as all I managed to do was stare at the screen and dig a trench somewhere.

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

My first fortress starved to death(back when you could only farm on the edge of the river that flooded every year), my second fortress died to permaflood, then my third got slaughtered by chasm creatures(apparently they didn't like me throwing stuff down their chasm).

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:08 am UTC

My first fort... didn't even happen. (I started the game, made a new world, looked at it, wondered WTF, and left for a few months)
my second fort... starved (I couldn't plant Plump helmets outside. I didn't even consider indoor farming a remote possibility)
my 3rd fort... Lasted 10 years before I quit. However, it was in a rocky valley, across the map from a small area of fertile land, so I had no farms (even though I was madly trying to find out how to fertilize an underground rocky area). Also, there was a cave of red sand and silk spiders, which i thought was lava and I was all confused and stuff. To be honest, I had just watched and studied some new youtube tutorials, so... still epic fail. (My industries sucked, I only got 2 immigration waves, and the goblins totally pwned me on the outside, and near my town.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:54 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:I would seriously recommend using a graphics package as well. I use this bad boy because I am not hardcore enough to learn all the ACII stuff. Makes starting the game a lot less intimidating.

The Matrix wrote:You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead.

-X

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead.

Hair colors aren't in until the next version, and you'd probably have to go into the menu to see physical descriptions.

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:13 am UTC

I do think the matrix-factor provides an incentive to learn to play with the default tileset.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:35 am UTC

Thendash wrote:My first fortress starved to death(back when you could only farm on the edge of the river that flooded every year), my second fortress died to permaflood, then my third got slaughtered by chasm creatures(apparently they didn't like me throwing stuff down their chasm).

How do you get slaughtered by chasm creatures? I've lived by chasms several times, happily chucking rock and elven caravans into it, and never had any creature concerns. There are some rat-men in caves down there, but they seem stuck where they are. I've heard a lot about chasm creatures attacking, but I've never seen it myself. What kind of creatures are they? How do they move vertically?

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:31 am UTC

I would want to hear about that as well.
I've also decided that the merchants who got stuck must be the reason I'm not getting any immigrants or the king (since I struck adamantine), so now I'm in the process of drowning them. Havn't had much luck with pressure plates or spear traps.
I wasn't aware that animals could go insane, but apparantly drowning horses will do that trick...

Hah. As SOON as I've finished drowning them and flushing the water down the chasm, migrants and nobles arrive. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:41 am UTC

This was in the 2d version. There you had a long chasm intersecting the map, and if you dumped stuff in it things would crawl out occasionally. You also got invasions from the river occasionally.

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:10 pm UTC

Ah, alright. I knew it was in back then, but it sounded like something that happened recently. Then I'd happily start dumping like crazy (not to mention that I just did that to 2000-ish stones), so my Captain of the Guard can have something to fight. He defeated the entire last siege completely, the legendary elf leader (of incest) singlehandedly.

But not strong enough to take on a pit-ful of spirits of fire... Maybe when he gets legendary with his adamantine spear.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

Thadlerian wrote:
Thendash wrote:My first fortress starved to death(back when you could only farm on the edge of the river that flooded every year), my second fortress died to permaflood, then my third got slaughtered by chasm creatures(apparently they didn't like me throwing stuff down their chasm).

How do you get slaughtered by chasm creatures? I've lived by chasms several times, happily chucking rock and elven caravans into it, and never had any creature concerns. There are some rat-men in caves down there, but they seem stuck where they are. I've heard a lot about chasm creatures attacking, but I've never seen it myself. What kind of creatures are they? How do they move vertically?

What kind of creatures?

Well, there are the obvious ratmen, antment, etc. Then there are cave swallows, which can fly vertically. Sometimes, GCS's scour the surface of a chasm. Inside, more likely than not there is a GCS somewhere, and many ogres, trolls, etc.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

Can trolls really destroy constructions? If so, my above ground fort could be in jeopardy...

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:
Thadlerian wrote:

What kind of creatures?

Well, there are the obvious ratmen, antment, etc. Then there are cave swallows, which can fly vertically. Sometimes, GCS's scour the surface of a chasm. Inside, more likely than not there is a GCS somewhere, and many ogres, trolls, etc.

Also, back in the 2D version chasms would spawn creatures on a regular basis if you tossed stuff into them.

Can trolls really destroy constructions? If so, my above ground fort could be in jeopardy...

Nothing can harm constructions (walls, stairs, ramps, etc) aside from proper disassembly, which invaders will never do.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

The wiki says they can take out buildings. Constructions are a type of building.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:The wiki says they can take out buildings. Constructions are a type of building.

no. Walls, floors, fortifications, stairs, etc are technically part of the 'terrain'.

Beds, workshops, etc. are the buildings.

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:
Rakysh wrote:The wiki says they can take out buildings. Constructions are a type of building.

no. Walls, floors, fortifications, stairs, etc are technically part of the 'terrain'.

Beds, workshops, etc. are the buildings.

Doors can be taken out, no? That's the important part, I believe. Not sure about drawbridges, but that shouldn't be a problem if you built it right.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:Can trolls really destroy constructions? If so, my above ground fort could be in jeopardy...

_constructions_, as in stuff like walls and stuff - no. But they will target your doors, etc. There's no real risk of them knocking down your towers...

...yet.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

ah, ok. I was working off the wiki definition, which says anything built from the B tab.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

But then you don't get to take advantage of the fourth iron ore! I read of a great automatic battlefield cleaner that swept everything into a trench with water, and then washed it with magma to burn away everything not made of iron.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

Dibley wrote:But then you don't get to take advantage of the fourth iron ore! I read of a great automatic battlefield cleaner that swept everything into a trench with water, and then washed it with magma to burn away everything not made of iron.

That is awesome. I made something similar in miniature (drowning chamber on the way in that flush them down the chasm where a grate collects everything but the liquids. Now, if I just make the grates magma-safe... :O
It's kinda pointless, however, since my sheriff can probably beat any siege I get thrown at me by now :( He's legendary in all weapons and decked out in adamantium, most of it masterful. He wields a spear because I read they should be good against spirits of fire, but I'm not sure if they meant demons in general. Killing those is the only real challenge left... So I'm making a ballista battery in preparation.

Oh, and the only time I've gotten to try the drowning chamber was on the elven traders as they left, partly because my trader was too busy to actually trade. I'm also hoping I can piss them off so they attack me.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:14 am UTC

I'm fairly sure my current fort is impervious to all but flying bad guys. (it's outdoor). Trench then walls topped with fortifications and I plan to have a massive army of marksdwarves, who will turn all goblins into pincushions.

Return to “Gaming”