You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

MisterCheif

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby MisterCheif » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

No I am pissed off. All my dwarves but one died (who then went insane, and jumped in magma). And now, I realize that I don't have the world save for the area, just the embark save. I can't reclaim it...

[EDIT:]Never mind...
I was an idiot and was looking in "continue playing", not "start playing"...
Last edited by MisterCheif on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Griffmo

Postby Griffmo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

Hey, I can't seem to build I still. I can build everything else, but whenever I try to build a still it just sits there and the fucktarded dwarves ignore it. Any help?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

I got it to work indeed :D
Even managed to update it for the latest DF.
Good stuff :D Mega structure is go!
Ⓞⓞ◯

icanus

Postby icanus » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

Griffmo wrote:Hey, I can't seem to build I still. I can build everything else, but whenever I try to build a still it just sits there and the fucktarded dwarves ignore it. Any help?

-Make sure you have someone with the Brewing labour enabled.
-press 'q' and view the Still details: sometimes building jobs get suspended if there's something in the way and you need to reactivate with 's'

Griffmo

Postby Griffmo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

Thank you. That's been bugging me

edit: If someone were to make a multiplayer mod of this, they would officially be a Demigod to nerds everywhere. How about it?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:01 am UTC

There's Minecraft, but it isn't even close to being done yet.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:22 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I got it to work indeed :D
Even managed to update it for the latest DF.

Do you mean 40d or 40d12?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:32 am UTC

I've got 40d, didn;t even know there was a 40d12 :P
Ⓞⓞ◯

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:42 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I've got 40d, didn;t even know there was a 40d12 :P

lol
Yeah, Toady's graphics code is pretty bad, so some people started making hacks to speed it up. Toady noticed that and said "hai guyz, halp plz". And so they started releasing the 40d# series, which basically just has better graphics implementation (same graphics, just better code).

Griffmo

Postby Griffmo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:51 am UTC

EDIT: Got it again. But here's a real trouble. A dwarf has gone into a fey mood and wants metal bars and bones. How do I give him bones? I'd divert the refuse pile to close too him but I don't want too piss of the dwarves with a miasma. Is there a way I can get a dwarf to get the bones for the Fey dwarf?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Griffmo wrote:EDIT: Got it again. But here's a real trouble. A dwarf has gone into a fey mood and wants metal bars and bones. How do I give him bones? I'd divert the refuse pile to close too him but I don't want too piss of the dwarves with a miasma. Is there a way I can get a dwarf to get the bones for the Fey dwarf?
If you have bones, the dwarf will just go get them. As he's wanting bones, you apparently just don't have any.

Hit your stockpiles menu if your bookkeeper is good enough to see if you have any forbidden or something. Otherwise, slaughter a cow or something (Build a butcher shop, a tannery, and make sure you have a butcher and tanner ready to go. That way, the skins aren't wasted)

Otherwise, he's looking for a specific kind of metal perhaps. Make sure that's all he's wanting (Hold the q menu on the shop he claimed until it's cycled through his wants at least twice, just to be sure) and see what he has in there (... t maybe? It's been too long since I've played)

headprogrammingczar wrote:
Griffmo wrote:edit: If someone were to make a multiplayer mod of this, they would officially be a Demigod to nerds everywhere. How about it?

There's Minecraft, but it isn't even close to being done yet.

Minecraft is to Dwarf Fortress as... I don't know.. Doom is to Civilization. I'll grant you it's closer than anything else out there, but.... they're really not similar games at all.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:00 am UTC

MisterCheif wrote:No I am pissed off. All my dwarves but one died (who then went insane, and jumped in magma). And now, I realize that I don't have the world save for the area, just the embark save. I can't reclaim it...

[EDIT:]Never mind...
I was an idiot and was looking in "continue playing", not "start playing"...

You shouldn't be pissed off... what you just experienced was a good healthy dose of Fun.

Incidentally, I have never suffered Fun while playing this game. The most Fun I had was when I slightly flooded my fort, which just ended up with a slightly damp deep mine. I usually just get a better idea for a fort, and do that for a while, then don't come back. I don't think I've ever achieved dwarven economy

TD- what megaproject are you doing?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:27 am UTC

I'm building my fortress underground in roughly the same shape for each floor, a squarish walkway and workshops or bedrooms placed around the edges.
The central red bit is channelled out and I intend it to go suuuper deep.
When I've dug out a sufficient amount of z levels I'm going to build a pissing huge central spire suspended over the bottom floor only by walkways.
On the bottom floor will be my dwarves meeting area in case I ever get bored and want to drop the spire on them.
Spoiler:

Um, I always have these interesting architecture ideas but never know what to put in them.
What do you think I should put in the spire?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:00 pm UTC

Lava. If not, turn it into a prison, with platforms jutting out over the depths. Then put your prisoners/nobles on them, and leave them to starve or jump.

Like this:
Spoiler:

Warning: Gigantic.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

That's delightfully horrible.
I think I might experiment with water first, I've never tried to make a waterfall and it might be fun.
Also, there's no lava source nearby so I'd have to cheat it in... I'm not against trying that...
Ⓞⓞ◯

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

After reclaiming the fortress, I have finally got my magma pump system working. I am filling the magma tunnels below my workshop level, and have already drained an entire level of the magma pipe to do it. Things are looking good.

My elaborate trap systems are working well too because, i edited in the ability to make adamantine from nothing. So now, my 3-wide and 3 or 4 long corridor of weapons traps filled with 10 adam discs each is in progress.

Any advice on any other defences to add?

Also, is there any way to crate an artificial underground pool so I can grow tower caps?
Last edited by MisterCheif on Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

With that trap system, I'm fairly sure not even a dragon will get through.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:...

With that trap system, I'm fairly sure not even a dragon will get through.

I also have 3 rows of cage traps ahead of that, to hopefully catch any dragons, to tame.

my traps are currently organized like this:

Code: Select all

..CCCCC..
..CCCCC..
W WCCCW W
W W+++W W
W W+++W W
W W+++W W
W W+++W W

W=wall
C=cage trap
. =ground
+ =weapons trap

After that, there is a drawbridge.
I can haz people?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

MisterCheif wrote:Also, is there any way to crate an artificial underground pool so I can grow tower caps?

No. And yes, it sucks.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Who needs traps? That's what my army of legendary wrestlers are for!
Omni.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

My outdoor fortress entrance:

Code: Select all

cccccccc
|c   cFFFFFFc
|c   cF    Fc
|c   cF    Fc
|c   cF    Fc
|cCC cF    Fc
===C cF    Fc
===C cF    Fc
===C cF    Fc
|cCC cF    Fc
|----FFFFFFc
ccccccccccc

c Channel
C Cage Trap
| and - Wall
F Fortifications
= Drawbridge

The bunker will be chock full of my crossbowdwarves.

icanus

Postby icanus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:54 am UTC

Well, I just had a successful test of my pressure plate activated 10 z-level drop for invaders/unwanted merchants. (Ideally I would have preferred if the test hadn't been performed on my legendary mason while he was doing double duty as a mechanic rigging up the final pressure plate, but a gnome came along to investigate while he was working out on the middle of the bridge).

Anyway, the test was, other than that, a success. It took five haulers to gather the mason's scattered limbs up and put him in his coffin.

Griffmo

Postby Griffmo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:06 am UTC

Is there a guide that will tell you how to work with water? Floodgates, Canals argh. So confusing! Also, how do I get an Anvil right off the bat so I don't have to buy one from a goddamn merchant?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:25 am UTC

MisterCheif wrote:Also, is there any way to crate an artificial underground pool so I can grow tower caps?
IF your map has underground water AND you find it, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Basically, finding underwater sources sets a flag. Once that flag is set, underground stuff (tower caps and plants) starts growing in underground mud. Without that flag set (and I'm not aware of anyone who's found it for a cheatin' program) nothing grows.

I think that's something that's planned to be fixed in the future.

Griffmo wrote:Is there a guide that will tell you how to work with water? Floodgates, Canals argh. So confusing! Also, how do I get an Anvil right off the bat so I don't have to buy one from a goddamn merchant?
Er.. start with one? By default when you embark, you get one automatically and have to specifically say you don't want it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:18 am UTC

I'm trying to trade a bunch of stone crafts to a human caravan. However, none of the bins with the goods in them show up to bring to the depot. I checked, and the bins are there, and aren't forbidden. Some of them have goblin clothing from an ambush I just warded off, but not all of them do. The bins do not show up under the crafts menu in bring to depot, or any other, and aren't visible if I search for them. They are called "Finished goods" bins in the stockpile. Any ideas why I can't bring them to the depot?

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:58 am UTC

Is there a path to them?
Omni.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:05 am UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Is there a path to them?

Yeah.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:22 am UTC

Have any of your nobles banned the export of certain crafts or stones? If so, they won't show up at all in the trade menu.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:31 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:Have any of your nobles banned the export of certain crafts or stones? If so, they won't show up at all in the trade menu.

Aha, that's the problem. Is there a good way to remove all the crowns from my couple dozen bins of stone crafts?

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:10 am UTC

nyeguy wrote:
The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:Have any of your nobles banned the export of certain crafts or stones? If so, they won't show up at all in the trade menu.

Aha, that's the problem. Is there a good way to remove all the crowns from my couple dozen bins of stone crafts?

As far as I know, the only way is to define another item stockpile, set it to take from the first one, set it to receive only crowns, and set the first one to not take crowns.

An easier way, but one that requires quite a bit more care on your part, is to turn off culling mandates ('m') on the 'g' screen. The bins will show up now.
When you go to trade, however, make sure you don't trade away any crowns. It's okay for you to bring them to the depot as long as you don't trade them. If you do trade them, the hauler that brought the item to the depot will become a criminal (and probably get a lengthy sentence to boot).

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:05 am UTC

OR a hammering, right?
Ⓞⓞ◯

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

Oh yes, the Hammering. But yeah, turn off the mandate culling. Should fix the problem without requiring 800 specialized stockpiles.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

Thanks, that was much easier. It was a little bit of a pain to make sure I didn't trade any of the crowns, but oh well.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

Has anyone read the spoilers on the new HFS? Is it very spoiler-y? I'm reluctant to read it since I had the normal HFS spoiled from the start, but maybe it's more fun not knowing so much about the new version.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

I read the spoiler about the new HFS, and, from what it looks like to me, you could still be surprised by what you find even if you read it. But that is just my opinion, so don't read it and get mad at me or anything.
I can haz people?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

What new HFS?
This must be on the forums or something because I've checked the wiki and there's nothing that I found.
Ⓞⓞ◯

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

Check that. The link is in the July 4th update.
I can haz people?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

Oooh, sounds like good fun.
Spoiler:
World spanning caverns? Does that mean more underground caves, because I like those but hardly ever see them.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

I assume that Toady is working towards something like the demons in the last story from Three-toe.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

About the new HFS:
Spoiler:
Will we be seeing things like bronze colossi with three heads that fly and breathe fire or am I interpreting "random" incorrectly?
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Return to “Gaming”