You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

I'll do a legacy game.

Hell, I'll go first! MUAHAHAHA.
Omni.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

I was going to go first, but I'm not against someone else starting it either.

Check the post in my sig and I'll sign ya up!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

Updated the OP with Raith :) (linked in my signature)

Just need New User and Ebitten to toss me your emails and we'll have 5 which is enough to open the thread and kick things off. I'll start looking for an embark this weekend and see what we wanna do. I'll open the thread Sunday evening if we get 1-2 more people who send me their emails.

(I see the mods are up to shenanigans with the word filter)

Edit:

Updated with ebitten.

Edit2:

Updated with New User.

That's 5! Lets see if we can get a few more. I'll throw up a thread Sunday evening though :)

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:I guess every fort is one mistaken designation away from disaster, so "sabotage" could also be another word for "innovation" in Dwarf Fortress as often times some of the most fun is had when you're able to turn a mistake into something productive.

One of my fond memories of DF is a fort I had a while back (haven't played for at least a year) where, among other things, I was trying to set up an obsidian forge in the basement - lava+water floodgates to mix together and give me mineable obsidian to make cheap half-decent weapons out of. However, I was having problems getting the mixing to work right - it kept forming a barrier between the lava and the water, leaving a room half-full of deadly lava and a clogged drainage pipe, into which some unfortunate miner would have to go, channel out some of it from the top to get it to mix, and hope not to get scalded to death by steam or accidentally fall in. Eventually I gave up on it for a while, and let it sit while I did other things.

Before too long, a goblin siege showed up, so I initiated standard wall-off procedures; raise drawbridge, close doors, keep everyone inside, etc. But I noticed that rather than just standing around like normal when they can't find a path, the goblins were taking off like a shot for somewhere. I lost track of them for a bit, before I finally found where they were going: I'd never sealed off the obsidian forge, so they'd gone down by the river and were climbing through the drainage pipe I'd dug for the water. A couple dozen goblins were marching in single file up the narrow pipe to the forge - which, incidentally, had its door right by my living quarters, where a decent number of my dorfs were still asleep. This called for drastic action, but my military was underequipped and too far away to get there in time...

...so I took a more expedient approach: Pull the water lever for the forge. The reservoir had filled completely during the downtime, so a torrent of water flooded through the pipe and literally flushed the goblins out of the fortress. Two of them broke their arms as they were shoved back out to the river, and one of them drowned. They milled around in confusion for a minute or two, and then decided "heck with this place" and left.

Since then, I have referred to this as "the flush lever". A security flaw became an amusing trap! Sadly, I never repurposed it to encase the goblins in solid cast obsidian :(
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

This might be a strange question, but, is there anything I can do to increase the rate of encounters/ambushes/something interesting happening? It normally seems to me that by the time I get to, maybe my third year of game play, I feel like I'm pretty much done with my fortress. I have 100+ dwarves, most industries up and running, often just churning out trade good or something. On my best fortress, I dug down to all of the lower caves, but there didn't really seem to be any point to visit them except for the magma cave where I mined adamantium just to see if I could kill the daemons (I couldn't). But by year three, if I'm lucky maybe I'll have seen one goblin ambush, and all that I need to stop that is a couple of archers and a wall grate.

I played my first few fortresses on Calm as suggested by the Wiki, so I figured maybe that was problem, but even when I bumped it up to Savage and increased the number of beasts on my map, I still haven't really felt threatened. Do I just have to wait longer? Evil biome? I've only played maybe 5 or 6 fortresses, but I'm already kind of bored of the game.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:This might be a strange question, but, is there anything I can do to increase the rate of encounters/ambushes/something

caravans

magma

lorb

Postby lorb » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:05 am UTC

There are some factors that might keep away the more interesting stuff. Are you aware that in order for a megabeast to attack your fort you need a population of at least 80 and there is also a minimum of wealth you need to generate? In general you get more/better invasions/attacks with higher wealth. If your population is below 80 most of the time you do indeed fly below the radar of dragons most of the time. If your just a natural savant of df or something try a reanimating biome.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:02 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:This might be a strange question, but, is there anything I can do to increase the rate of encounters/ambushes/something interesting happening? It normally seems to me that by the time I get to, maybe my third year of game play, I feel like I'm pretty much done with my fortress. I have 100+ dwarves, most industries up and running, often just churning out trade good or something. On my best fortress, I dug down to all of the lower caves, but there didn't really seem to be any point to visit them except for the magma cave where I mined adamantium just to see if I could kill the daemons (I couldn't). But by year three, if I'm lucky maybe I'll have seen one goblin ambush, and all that I need to stop that is a couple of archers and a wall grate.

I played my first few fortresses on Calm as suggested by the Wiki, so I figured maybe that was problem, but even when I bumped it up to Savage and increased the number of beasts on my map, I still haven't really felt threatened. Do I just have to wait longer? Evil biome? I've only played maybe 5 or 6 fortresses, but I'm already kind of bored of the game.

Wait a year or two more and you get goblin sieges. Nothing like seeing 100+ goblins show up to your fort, riding cave dragons...

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/04/c ... our-forts/

A little more publicity for our beloved crazy dorfs.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

So. Uh.

Yeah.

edit - tangentally, I was trying to start a Challenge fortress with 7 dwarves moving slightly faster (by editing SPEED: in the raws) but the changes don't seem to take. Any ideas?

edit - not tangentally OH JESUS THE NAME WAS FITTING. There's a reanimating biome somewhere in here so uh yeah this is bad and everything is getting interruptedby the various bones of a raven woman's anatomy
Attachments
Well that's ominous.jpg
Omni.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

I have yet to play a re-animating biome. Someday...

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

It died. Not from undead invasion - not enough dead things yet - but from a tantrum spiral caused by "OH MY FUCKING GOD UNDEAD"
Omni.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

I got a necromancer ambush on one of my forts. Was annoying, having to kill the same heads and left hands over and over, just trying to find that necromancer.

Oh, I wish I could've captured that necro. Supposedly, if you dump enough corpses in with the necro, eventually you can get an unstoppable undead army that is capable of taking on the circus...

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:50 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I got a necromancer ambush on one of my forts. Was annoying, having to kill the same heads and left hands over and over, just trying to find that necromancer.

Oh, I wish I could've captured that necro. Supposedly, if you dump enough corpses in with the necro, eventually you can get an unstoppable undead army that is capable of taking on the circus...

I have a six-core 3.5ghz top-of-the-line processor, and I doubt I could handle the FPS hit from that.
Omni.

rdeforest

Postby rdeforest » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

I have a six-core 3.5ghz top-of-the-line processor, and I doubt I could handle the FPS hit from that.

Sadly, five of your cores would be idle in 0.31.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Didn't .34 allow multithreads?
Omni.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

I don't think it did, or I wouldn't get the FPS derps I get if I go past a 4x4 embark.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:So. Uh.

Yeah.

edit - tangentally, I was trying to start a Challenge fortress with 7 dwarves moving slightly faster (by editing SPEED: in the raws) but the changes don't seem to take. Any ideas?

edit - not tangentally OH JESUS THE NAME WAS FITTING. There's a reanimating biome somewhere in here so uh yeah this is bad and everything is getting interruptedby the various bones of a raven woman's anatomy

As someone who cheats like crazy, make sure you type it as

[SPEED:0]

exactly. And it goes in creaturestandard. You then have to generate a new world.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue May 07, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

It begins! Mountainhomes, The Ageless Fortress - Destined for greatness, and high altitude.

I embarked on a mountain peak, hundreds of miles away from any civilization, with the goals of A. not freezing to death and B. Becoming the True Mountainhome. First order of business will be to get a refuge within the mountain itself. Excavation will begin at the highest level, with a curve to prevent the elements from getting to our otherwise exposed Trade Depot.

Designated...

and completed. A truly bountiful mountain, this one! Multiple gem deposits on the way to our depot - show completed with a dormitory here.

Excavations for more permanent quarts are underway as we speak.
Omni.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 08, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

Playing a world with 3 neighboring necro towers. There was a spot with 5, but no wood at all. I also prefer flat maps anyway. Goblins are extinct AFAIK, I have no decent source of iron, but lots of necro sieges. Often at the same time. Also my pop cap is 7 so I don't get more than the first 2 immigrant waves (lots of babies though; my goal is to have a fortress last decades and my dwarves have grand kids).

Copper bolts will slaughter the undead.
If you can dig out a trench in time, it becomes remarkably easy as corpses aren't ranged.
Your archers become elite fast, if the necros keep raising the corpses.
There is something so hilariously wrong about having to kill the same undead goat hair over and over.
Set all dwarves to harvest so your dwarf kids do something.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:12 am UTC

I started playing again. It's more addicting than I remember.

Today I designated a 2x2 mineshaft connecting my basement with the surface, and I assumed my miner would start at the top and dig down. Instead she started one z-level from the top because it was accessible, dug most of the shaft*, and climbed back up to channel the top layer. Then right after finishing, she celebrated by falling twenty-four stories to her death. I'm pretty sure it wasn't suicide...

*I'm just talkin' 'bout the

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:28 pm UTC

Even my best efforts to properly dig a safe mining shaft often result in at least one cave-in and early usage of my hospital. I'm pretty lucky if my miners survive honestly.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

How are you designating the dig area? If you designated the whole thing as up/down stairs, I don't think that should happen. I don't think I've ever seen anyone fall down stairs, unless maybe they were in combat.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

Most of the time, for me anyway, it's channels that I have problems with. I like to dig 8-10+ z-level pits and use them for dumping elven caravans and such.

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Yeah, digging large 3D open spaces is unnecessarily tricky. IIRC, a good way to do it is to carve the whole area into up/down stairs (so it's all accessible) and then remove it one layer at a time starting from the top.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:40 am UTC

You'd think that mining skill level would influence the targeting algorithm. Oh well.

My most recent tragedy: Made a coffin out of wood before deciding that I like stone better. It was a masterpiece so I tried to sell it, but I forgot that elves are elves. I guess my zoo isn't getting a giant kiwi cock.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:34 pm UTC

You're supposed to design your trade depot so the caravans have more time to "negotiate" and sort out their differences and if they're unwilling then they're enthusiastically encouraged - namely with sealed draw bridges and water.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:43 pm UTC

My games all get lagged down with the millions of items from all the caravans and goblin deaths. It takes forever to get magma up and running, and I generally use serrated blade traps to turn EVERYTHING into chunks. So, lot of lag. I REALLY need to use pit traps instead, to drop everything into magma pits to get rid of all the junk.

The other source of junk is clothing. Dwarves go through so many clothes, so I make 100 trousers, mittens, etc, but the result is tattered clothing everywhere.

At least the next version comes out this month. Actual forests! New foods! Climbing!

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:48 pm UTC

Just build on a volcano; magma solutions are easy then.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:37 pm UTC

Volcanoes are far too hilly though. The best bet is to hope I get a magma pipe on the 2nd layer. Doesn't take TOO long to build a height 40 pump stack. But once you do, combined with an archery range to mass produce adamantium, woo.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:34 pm UTC

The new version is coming soon. I don't know if anyone else reads the update logs, but it's usually good for a laugh.

Toady wrote:Zach went out to hunt some night creatures and found a bunch of monsters of twilight up in a tree... turns out their blood-sensing ability allowed them to detect all the scary beasts deep underground and they wanted nothing to do with it, so they fled from their lair (which was not attached in any way to the beasts underground) and treed themselves.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:03 pm UTC

I've always enjoyed his updates. Should be quite interesting to see how different things are in the new version. It's been 2 years.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:23 pm UTC

I foresee hundreds of Dwarf Deaths due to felled trees falling on them.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:36 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The new version is coming soon. I don't know if anyone else reads the update logs, but it's usually good for a laugh.

Toady wrote:Zach went out to hunt some night creatures and found a bunch of monsters of twilight up in a tree... turns out their blood-sensing ability allowed them to detect all the scary beasts deep underground and they wanted nothing to do with it, so they fled from their lair (which was not attached in any way to the beasts underground) and treed themselves.

I imagine the monsters of twilight feel the same way I do when I think about all those weird critters who live at the bottom of the ocean. I really hope this behavior wasn't changed, I've always wanted to fight a monster in a video game whose main weakness is Knowledge of Eldritch Things.

All that aside, it's been several years since I last played and now I can feel the black root of nostalgia taking hold in my brain. I am, as they say, jonesin'.
However, I was never quite able to get an effective military going, so I was wondering if anyone here knew of any effective guides on such a thing or otherwise had any useful advice to give about it.
Usually I just seal up the whole fortress during a siege and ignore them until they go away, but I've stopped liking that solution.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:00 pm UTC

I've never had a fully trained/equipped military force because 1) I don't use danger rooms and 2) can't be arsed. It's pretty fun to think of new traps. Dropping a steel anvil a few hundred feet will kill pretty much anything.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:22 am UTC

I use my military to mass manufacture adamantium. 1 addy bar produces 25 bolts. 1 bolt melts to .1 addy bar. To separate, channel out 2 spaces in each direction next to the archery targets; when the bolts hit the wall they fall instead of break. Designate the bolts to melt (helps to have your magma forges near there). Turn bars into bolts. Repeat.

Requires quite a few marksdwarves and furnace operators to do, but hey, keeps my dwarves busy.

As for traps, I've only really needed one trap setup. I place a goat or something in the center of a spiral. Just enough so that it can't be hit by bolts. Connected to my fort but almost always sealed off. To get to the goat, you go over my traps. 2 Drawbridges (trigger in between) that fall 15 levels (connected by sealable to my fort), and if I'm feeling posh, magma at the bottom for easier cleanup. If they make it past the drawbridges, a couple of weapon traps with circular steel blades of amagadeverythingexplodes will take out a bronze colossus. I would just use the the circular blades, but they tend to get gummed up rather fast and create too many objects.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:28 am UTC

Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01

What are you waiting for?!

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:09 am UTC

Bah, I'd just started a new adventurer yesterday after two years away from the game. I can't wait to get home and retire her because the first play reports over at the forum look like loads of lowercase fun.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

rdeforest

Postby rdeforest » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:02 am UTC

And here I was, thinking 2014 was finally going to be the year I get my ass in gear and make something of myself in the "real world."

OH WELL.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:55 am UTC

I seem to have downloaded Calendar Update Simulator 2014 by accident.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Return to “Gaming”