You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

karhell

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby karhell » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:38 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:I seem to have downloaded Calendar Update Simulator 2014 by accident.

Yeah, its a bit slow on larger worlds. Looking good, though :D
Toady One wrote:(hopefully I'll be able to make good progress on the calendar speed -- until then, smaller worlds with less history if you want to crank through it)
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:40 pm UTC

Currently in the middle of my first year. Embarked in a swamp; trees only have 1 trunk. Oh well. Lots and lots of wood from them, and loving all the new plants. Haven't figured out how to get the seeds from them to grow my own onions; my stills and kitchens just got set up. Should be interesting when the humans and elves show up to trade.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:56 pm UTC

I've gotten three sudden crashes out of three adventurers, none of the games made it through day 2... I'm just going to climb trees until bugfix releases start rolling in.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:06 am UTC

My dwarves are much more detailed in their descriptions, and relationships are slightly more complex.

We just need dwarven adoptions and gay dwarves.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

A really good article by Polygon on World Generation in DF.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/23/592644 ... ry-is-hard

It's important to Adams, and to his players, to have all this backstory in place before the gameplay even begins. After all, he says, you have to, "keep track of which historical figure was dragged into a night creature's lair so that you can find their body parts simmering in the cauldron."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:02 pm UTC

Yet more proof that Dwarf Fortress is a government project to distract serial killers.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:A really good article by Polygon on World Generation in DF.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/23/592644 ... ry-is-hard

It's important to Adams, and to his players, to have all this backstory in place before the gameplay even begins. After all, he says, you have to, "keep track of which historical figure was dragged into a night creature's lair so that you can find their body parts simmering in the cauldron."

I didn't realize how involved it was...

Maybe we're Roko's Basilisk.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:58 pm UTC

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:35 pm UTC

Just as I feared, the bugfix releases have made the game more than solid enough to waste hours upon hours in. The adv mode is by now the best roguelike ever. I'm just now in the wilderness about a human town, tracking down a lizardman who attacked a shopkeeper, but it doesn't look like I'm going to find him.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

I still need to play that. Really bad. I've never learned it.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:35 pm UTC

My attempts at the Adventurer mode always end with me taking an arrow in the throat and dying. That or trying to train up my swimming skill and the river instantly turning to ice.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:46 am UTC

Somehow ended up reading www.bravemule.com and realized I missed this game.

Time to figure out how to get one of the graphics packs working and start a new fort.

Or maybe reading about other people's forts is more interesting than playing myself, I dunno.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:41 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:My attempts at the Adventurer mode always end with me taking an arrow in the throat and dying.

Not an arrow to the knee then.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:52 pm UTC

Nope, I don't get to retire to guard duty.

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

Those hit by arrows seldom live to tell the tale...

*the flying ☼Llama bone arrow☼ strikes you in the left knee, chipping the bone*
*you pass out from pain*

cue instant head stabbing contest and swift bleeding out to death...
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:13 am UTC

Finally got around to picking up the latest version. Picked a spot near the ocean, started making progress breaking through a multi layer aquifer.

Then a tree dropped its branches, killing a dwarf underground under where the collapse happened. Interesting new feature...

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:34 pm UTC

Chopping trees is definitely more dangerous and more nuanced in this version. I haven't touched it yet, but I will once Toady finishes his continued wave of bug fixes.

Bersaelor

Using "what if"-genetic system in a game

Postby Bersaelor » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:15 am UTC

Dear xkcd-forum,

I've been reading the what-if entries from it's inception and recently started developing game based on Dwarf Fortress called Formicarium.

It already had a lot of genetics and just last week I read the page 158 "Self-Fertilization" piece. It wasn't released on the web before, wasn't it?

Anyway, I was already using a similar system, yet the Idea with the multipliers in the genetic system is so great I just had to put it to use :)
(Since we mostly have Insects and plants the amount of copies of chromosomes in my game can vary between 1(halpoid drones) and 4 sets (hybrid plants) )
But yes, with the multiplier's the genes got a lot more interesting and inbreeding is a force to be dealt with by the player.

Thank you Randall!

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:42 am UTC

What "page 158" thing?
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

There's a What-If in the book called "Self-Fertilization" on page 158 (source: Amazon look inside).
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Bersaelor

Postby Bersaelor » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:19 pm UTC

Also, our campaign followers were asking about the genetics model we use, so we made a graphic in the context of our game, thought you guys might like it too.

Any link/image I tried posting counted as spam, so you'll have to add a dot to the following: imgur com/HZmDYxQ

pogrmman

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby pogrmman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:24 pm UTC

Well, DF now has 64-bit support, finally!

Also, the recent updates have added a TON of new content, from multi-tile trees, to better personalities, to lots of bugfixes, to construction in adventure mode, to taverns and churches and libraries, worship needs, automatic work orders, and lots more. I recommend getting back into it if you were in the past!

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:33 pm UTC

Have been feeling the need to scratch the DF itch a bit lately. Does the new version have an LNP out yet (or any similar pack / replacement)?
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:10 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:Have been feeling the need to scratch the DF itch a bit lately. Does the new version have an LNP out yet (or any similar pack / replacement)?

When did you last play? -- It's changed a lot from 0.34.11 (which was the most recent version until 2014) and a fair amount from 0.40.24 (which was the most recent version until the end of last year)

LNP still exists, and is updated, but I don't think it works with 64-bit DF yet. Dwarf Therapist (and probably DFHack) only work with 32-bit.

Personally, I don't use LNP, so I'm not familiar with it. (I sometimes use DT though once my fort hits ~100 dwarves).

Some things to know: military isn't as cruical as it used to be. Invasions are less frequent, as they are actual historical figures now -- not generated on site. World gen continues as your fort goes on, so battles are fought and the like while you are fortressing. You will get dwarves from previous forts you made as immigrants.

EDIT: Here's the most recent LNP thread on the bay12games forums.. It looks like it's using 0.43.03, so not quite up to date (most recent is 0.43.06 -- the 64-bit update). I'd still take a look at it if I were you. 0.43.03 is very stable and works well. There are only minor differences between it and the most recent version (mostly, a lack of 64-bit support).

Return to “Gaming”