Torrents and Peer to Peer

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
drconcon
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:38 am UTC
Location: Ontario, Canada

Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby drconcon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

I ran a search on this but nothing came up, so please disregard this if it's already been discussed.

What are your views on illegally downloading games? There are different views on this for sure and I would like to hear everyones. Why do you choose to download? Why do you choose not to? The video game industry is a little more fragile than the music industry. Seeing as sales are the only way for developers to make money.
Personally, I have no problem with downloading, especially it is an older, harder to find game (but not necessarily abandonware) but there is just some novelty to actually owning a copy.
Discuss.
Belial wrote:Never assume you're safe.

That's when the raptors get yah!


Xaddak
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

I intend to join the video game industry. I used to pirate sometimes (never a lot), and then I realized I'd rather not have people downloading MY games instead of buying them. So I stopped pirating... except for, as you said, games you can't find any other way except for pirating (at which point they are usually freeware anyway).

I have a friend who pirates to "try games out", but he has a tendency to never actually BUY them, even if it is a game he likes.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

User avatar
Shizo
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:12 am UTC
Location: almost-Canada
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Shizo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

I pirate. Lack of funds is the main reason for this. I don't have any form of fast travel to the nearest video game store, either. The selection sucks, anyway.
Image

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

When it costs me $50 with no chance of returning the game, yes, I am going to download it first to try it.

User avatar
Rodan
Any title.
Posts: 1846
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 pm UTC
Location: Eastern Standard Time

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Rodan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

I pirate. Although usually it becomes so much trouble to get things to work that I just buy the games, and I still do if I ever have money.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

drconcon wrote:I ran a search on this but nothing came up, so please disregard this if it's already been discussed.


There's the generic Piracy thread in Serious Business, if you want to discuss piracy as a whole.. Music and movies as well as software.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Master Gunner
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:40 am UTC
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Master Gunner » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

If there's a copy at a local store, or one can easily be ordered in, I'll buy. For older games though, they can be hard to find, and I don't want to spend a month looking through used game bins and pawn shops on the off chance I get a working copy of the game I want.

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

Older games, where if I buy it, would have to be bought used and probably with much difficulty, I'll pirate.
Newer games, I might pirate it to get a feel for it. I don't like to pirate games for keeping...besides, you usually don't get multiplayer. Companies I respect I won't pirate from. (Valve and Blizzard come to mind, although I have pirated Starcraft because I was stranded somewhere without my discs. This is a different situation, I'd say.)
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
FACM
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:40 pm UTC

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby FACM » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I have pirated Starcraft because I was stranded somewhere without my discs. This is a different situation, I'd say.

This is an interesting point. It's technically piracy, because you have a license to use the software but you broke a term of that license. But they've suffered no real harm from this. I'm not certain, as I don't think this has actually come up in court, but I think this sort of thing counts as format-shifting. It might not. I'm not real good at keeping up on laws.

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

FACM wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:I have pirated Starcraft because I was stranded somewhere without my discs. This is a different situation, I'd say.

This is an interesting point. It's technically piracy, because you have a license to use the software but you broke a term of that license. But they've suffered no real harm from this. I'm not certain, as I don't think this has actually come up in court, but I think this sort of thing counts as format-shifting. It might not. I'm not real good at keeping up on laws.


Oh, I realize it's *legally* piracy--I meant that morally it's much different, as I've paid for Starcraft...and WCI, WCII, WCIII, a year of WoW...Blizzard will forgive my minor transgression.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
drconcon
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:38 am UTC
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby drconcon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Companies I respect I won't pirate from. (Valve and Blizzard come to mind...)


I agree completely. I have not pirated a version or Half Life or Warcraft to date just for that reason. I also tend to pirate when it's a game that I don't plan to play very often. I'm not really in a situation where I can drop $50 for a game I will only play two or three times a month.
Belial wrote:Never assume you're safe.

That's when the raptors get yah!


User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:22 am UTC

If you mean WCI when you say "warcraft"; well, it's out of print...I"d say you're good for that, for those poor fools who, unlike me, don't have an original disc.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:40 pm UTC

Before this discussion goes on much further...


You're free to discuss the ethics of piracy. You're free to discuss whether or not you pirate. You're free to even list what you pirate, if you want.

Links will not be tolerated.

We all know you can get anything if you look long enough. This is not a warez site.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
lowbart
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:00 pm UTC
Location: northeastern USA
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby lowbart » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

If I have already paid for something once, I will pirate it any time that it breaks, or I lose it, or whatever. Maybe if it's really good, and not too expensive, I might buy it again. But I'm baffled by the people that have bought Oblivion three times because their discs keep getting scratched.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby aion7 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

I'll download old games, but never new ones that are still a major source of revenue for the developers.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
zombie_monkey
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:26 pm UTC
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby zombie_monkey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

Piracy is a robbery committed at sea, or sometimes on the shore, without a commission from a sovereign nation (robbery with sovereign commission is privateering, and distinct from piracy). Seaborne piracy against transport vessels remains a significant issue (with estimated worldwide losses of US $13 to $16 billion per year), particularly in the waters between the Pacific and Indian Oceans, off the Somali coast, and also in the Strait of Malacca and Singapore, which are used by over 50,000 commercial ships a year. A recent surge in piracy off the Somali coast spurred a multi-national effort led by the United States to patrol the waters near the Horn of Africa to combat piracy. While boats off the coasts of North Africa and the Mediterranean Sea are still assailed by pirates, the Royal Navy and the U.S. Coast Guard have nearly eradicated piracy in U.S. waters and in the Caribbean Sea.[citation needed]

Maritime piracy, according to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) of 1982, consists of any criminal acts of violence, detention, or depredation committed for private ends by the crew or the passengers of a private ship or aircraft that is directed on the high seas against another ship, aircraft, or against persons or property on board a ship or aircraft. Piracy can also be committed against a ship, aircraft, persons, or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any state.


I think it is insulting to the victims of actual piracy to call copyright infringement "piracy". And how on earth did that ever come about, anyway?! It sounds completely random and nonsensical.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

A link from Wikipedia wrote:In 1701, Daniel Defoe wrote the satirical poem The True-Born Englishman, and it was a sensation. It was the bestselling poem of its day, but a large number of those sales didn't put any money into Defoe's pockets. This was a shame, because Defoe really could have used the cash. He had had money problems for a long time and was just managing to climb out of a bankruptcy as an estimated 80,000 unauthorized copies of his poem were being distributed. As far as we know, the people who made those copies and sold them in the streets are the first intellectual property thieves in history ever to be referred to as "pirates."
(Linky love here)
Defoe, however, was not very upset by the piracy of his work. In 1703, he published a corrected edition of the famous poem, and in the preface he wrote: "I should have been concerned at its being printed again and again by pirates, as they call them, and paragraph-men; but would that
they do it justice and print it true according to the copy, they are welcome to sell it for a penny if they please."


So.. blame Defoe for the word Piracy being used in regards to anything beyond theft on the ocean via one or more ships attacking another.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

I very rarely pirate anything since I don't play too many PC games, and console games tend to be more of a hassle to pirate than anything. On the rare occasion that something exclusive to PC interests me, I'll download it to make sure it will run and I'll want to play it for more than an hour or two (Dawn of War is a good example: I enjoyed what I played of it, but never really bothered with it for more than a couple levels). Once in awhile I'll buy something straight up if it sounds incredible or it's something I have confidence in (I got Civ 4 at release which turned out to be an enormous hassle, and I'll get Spore at release assuming I can run it which shouldn't be a problem). Is it wrong? Maybe, but if I don't like something enough to play it for more than a little bit, I'm just going to sell it to someone else, depriving the manufacturer of a new sale, anyway. May as well save the effort. I also have no problem with buying small, indie games that are reasonably priced ($10-20) if the concept is neat. Like I just bought Audiosurf and Peggle since I'm out a couple fast food meals for them at most.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff
Posts: 2903
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby ZeroSum » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

Any game that's been released within the past two years and I've played more than 10 or so hours of, or more than half the game, I purchase.

I download Dreamcast games because it's impossible to find them first party anymore, so I don't feel bad about that.

Games that I play once for two hours then delete I will never pay for.

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

Anything where the original developer or publisher won't be making money from a purchase, I have no problem pirating. This means anything where I can't find a new copy in a store. Not to say I won't buy a used copy, because I will, but no one but the seller is making any money from a Dreamcast game.

User avatar
Miles Invictus
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:32 am UTC
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Miles Invictus » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:14 am UTC

I download abandonware, but otherwise I buy games.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8565
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Zohar » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

I don't pirate a lot of games. Console games (which are most of what I play) I always buy. The only recent piracy acts I did (that I can recall) are a shareware game named Oasis, Portal and the expansion packs for HoMMV and CivIV. The latest HoMM was really insulting in that regard - there was the campaign mode and only ten more maps as opposed to previous HoMM releases which included a lot more single player maps and a map editor. I don't think it's fair of them that just because they wanted to release a game early they reduce its contents.

I don't mind d/loading abandonware, either.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby zenten » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

zombie_monkey wrote:
Piracy is a robbery committed at sea, or sometimes on the shore, without a commission from a sovereign nation (robbery with sovereign commission is privateering, and distinct from piracy). Seaborne piracy against transport vessels remains a significant issue (with estimated worldwide losses of US $13 to $16 billion per year), particularly in the waters between the Pacific and Indian Oceans, off the Somali coast, and also in the Strait of Malacca and Singapore, which are used by over 50,000 commercial ships a year. A recent surge in piracy off the Somali coast spurred a multi-national effort led by the United States to patrol the waters near the Horn of Africa to combat piracy. While boats off the coasts of North Africa and the Mediterranean Sea are still assailed by pirates, the Royal Navy and the U.S. Coast Guard have nearly eradicated piracy in U.S. waters and in the Caribbean Sea.[citation needed]

Maritime piracy, according to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) of 1982, consists of any criminal acts of violence, detention, or depredation committed for private ends by the crew or the passengers of a private ship or aircraft that is directed on the high seas against another ship, aircraft, or against persons or property on board a ship or aircraft. Piracy can also be committed against a ship, aircraft, persons, or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any state.


I think it is insulting to the victims of actual piracy to call copyright infringement "piracy". And how on earth did that ever come about, anyway?! It sounds completely random and nonsensical.


I thought it was that the original software pirates liked saying "Arrr Matie!" and to pretend to have parrots on their shoulders.

Dark Ragnarok
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 9:12 pm UTC

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:43 am UTC

I'm not going to lie. Any PC game I can get for free I DL it. I can also get console games for free if I wish but for some reason I find it better to just buy them. I always intend to pay for the game but then I always lose track to do so. However all the PC games I *still* play I've paid for. The one's I played and beat them and left it at that, I just got rid of them.

*shrugs* I would say this much, if I had money to afford gaming I would just pay them, but there's always something about games that I end up getting a joy out of pirating them. Then figuring out how the game works, re-skinning the game, modding it, seeing if it's possible to get online with it and not get blacklisted (I managed to get that working with HL 2! XD).

O well. I'm not a moral gamer in terms of pirating. But if we're talking music, it's different.

User avatar
Skateside
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:59 pm UTC
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back
Contact:

Re: Torrents and Peer to Peer

Postby Skateside » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:46 pm UTC

I try not to pirate games, but I do from time to time. I downloaded Oblivion because I wasn't sure whether or not I'd be able to run it on my computer, and it turns out that I can. 2 years later, I still haven't bought it due to lack of funds and various other excuses.

I also agree with Sir_Elderberry about different situations. I've lost my copy of Super Mario Advanced 2, and haven't seen it for a while. I had no problem with downloading an emulator and the rom in order to play it again since I have bought the game and I'm sure it'll turn up one day...
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests