Guitar Hero

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

veridical

Postby veridical » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:37 am UTC

no-genius wrote:yeah, i do. and i watched some people play GH once - looked a bit pointless really.

The point is most obviously to RAWK. And the only way to RAWK is to push buttons in time with circular things flying at you on a television screen. But "srsly," things don't need to have a point to be fun.

Aside- how long have you been playing?

Arkohn

Postby Arkohn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:38 am UTC

I'm assuming he didn't actually try it, because the game does look shitty when you watch it. Like most games, it's more fun to play, than to watch someone else play.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:41 am UTC

Maybe that's why I'm not a fan of Guitar Hero... having never played it myself, I've spent countless hours watching my friends play it while bored out of my mind. Hrm... maybe I just associate GH with boredom. :D

Arkohn

Postby Arkohn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:43 am UTC

Well of course it's boring to watch, it's a rhythm game :lol:

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:49 am UTC

Arkohn wrote:I'm assuming he didn't actually try it, because the game does look shitty when you watch it. Like most games, it's more fun to play, than to watch someone else play.

well then its not really something you can do with a group of people, is it?

(even donkey kong country had a tag-team mode)
Last edited by no-genius on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Arkohn

Postby Arkohn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:50 am UTC

Well, I never claimed it was. You can defenitely play multiplayer if you have 2 guitars though. Also, I've found that it's actually decently entertaining to watch if you play it enough so you can kinda play along in your head, so taking turns works well too.

veridical

Postby veridical » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:56 am UTC

I think what Guitar Hero needs the most is a little DragonForce.

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:08 am UTC

Wow, it only took a page and a half to get some dragonforce love, I'm impressed

Lets see... First off, with my buddies the person who's worst at guitar hero is the one that actually plays guitar proficiently. Outside of that, the ones who have some guitar experience are alright and the most natural player is the one that's never played any guitar.

Having looked round the guitar hero fora there are many, many people, who say GH is harder than a real guitar, though I have a feeling that's because GH has no mercy, whereas if you mess up on a real guitar you can claim you were improvising since you don't get a horrible twang for it.

If you've only ever watched it, I've got nothing to say to you, if it's your friends' fault for not letting you play, give 'em a smack. I've never seen the adverts for GH, all I've seen is guitar hero stands in shops and the big plasma screen stand in the shopping centre once, that's how guitar hero should always be advertised.

personally, I had some limited experience on the guitar before GH, but it nevered panned out. GH taught me to take it slow and actually learn how to play the damn thing before I get going, which inspired me to buy a bass. Now if I could find a decent website with free bass scale tabs that I could read, I'd be all set.

as for GH v real guitar. GH & PS2 = £100. Decent Guitar >£200, Decent Bass >£300, Decent Guitar Amp >£200, Decent Bass Amp >£300, Collection of suitable pedals >£300, band to play the rest of the parts >£3000pw. Not to mention that no guitar tutorial in the world is quite as enjoyable as learning to play GH, It might be more satisfying to learn crap on a real guitar than to best something on hard in GH, but the whole experience up to that point is more enjoyable on GH. Granted, after many years of play and assuming you have the natural talent, you will be able to go down to a local bar with a Jam night and have the same experience with real band members and a real crowd, but that will have taken years of effort and more than a little luck, as opposed to the half a day it would take with GH
Heaven is for the hedonist

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:35 am UTC

I read through the first half dozen posts or so in this thread so that makes me qualified to throw in my two cents

Guitar Freaks > Guitar Hero

I can't remember the name of the drum version, but my friends and I used to go to the arcade at the University of Waterloo when we were in highschool and sync up the starts of both the Guitar Freaks and the Drummer game so we could play the song as a 3 piece band.

Needless to say we were super cool.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:42 am UTC

Guitar hero is harder than a guitar? Guitars don't have cheats :P

I just don't understand you kids.... Yes, guitar hero may be hard, but its still telling you what to do? All you have to do is be fast enough. It's possible to play a song by ear - I can't do that unless its really easy.

Also, there's no such thing as talent. All it takes is lots of 'effortful study' to be good at something.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:54 am UTC

no-genius wrote:Also, there's no such thing as talent. All it takes is lots of 'effortful study' to be good at something.

BS!

If you want me to show more proof of that then i will, but I will give you time to retract that statement because really, it is fucking retarded.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:00 pm UTC

I'm not sure what you mean by theres no such thing as talent, so it could be some stupid defenition, but i agree, the statement is retarded.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:40 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:Yes, guitar hero may be hard, but its still telling you what to do? All you have to do is be fast enough. It's possible to play a song by ear - I can't do that unless its really easy.

I'm going to not mention the whole talent pit you've dug and focus on this. I'll also not talk about the random question mark. Either way, the point is that the whole, being able to play by ear, bit, is, as I understand it, exactly why it's so much easier in real life. Granted, different people have different experiences, but with guitar hero you don't get natural progressions of notes so your hand won't instinctively go to the right note. Instead you have to do do exactly what it tells you on screen. Granted that the notes will generally be further up or down the frets depending on how high or low the note is, but there are 7 notes in an octave and 5 on a guitar hero controller, so you know it'll have to get weird at some point.

Also, keep in mind that it's a game, a game with levels and difficulty settings and, if you look at it that way, bosses and unlockable areas. That alone makes it different from guitar which is just one huge sprawling level, a la mmorpg. So the point is, if you want to lose your life to an activity, play a real guitar, if you want to have a bit of fun playing some tunes, play guitar hero.

I'd also like to mention that I come from a latin american family so have had plenty of occasion to sit around in a group with a couple of people playing guitar. It can easily be just as boring for the spectators as watching guitar hero, perhaps more so if they know they'll never have a chance of playing. In, guitar hero even the newest of players can play against or with the most expert players because they can each choose difficulty settings.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

shadebug wrote:It can easily be just as boring for the spectators as watching guitar hero, perhaps more so if they know they'll never have a chance of playing. In, guitar hero even the newest of players can play against or with the most expert players because they can each choose difficulty settings.

Very much depends on who you're watching and what they're playing. There are quite a few people who you'd probably never get bored of just sitting around watching them play.

And I never said I don't like people feeling good about being able to play it, or having fun, it's when people act like their really awesome because they can that it really bugs the hell out of me. And I have seen this happen before, more than enough to know I don't ever want to play.

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:50 pm UTC

You should feel awesome at an ability to play it in the same way that you should feel awesome at being able to play nightmare mode in quake (I couldn't even get into nightmare mode, even with cheats). Most of my friends see me play and just proclaim that i must have wasted my life.

Nonmus

Postby Nonmus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

I don't think it's such a bad thing for somebody to be proud of their skill in a video game. Being good at Guitar Hero is nothing compared to being able to play a real guitar well, but it still takes plenty of practice and skill to pass the harder songs. I can understand if the kind of person that you're talking about flaunts his little video game achievements as if he's the king of everything guitar-related, but that kind of attitude is annoying regardless of what it's applied to.

That said, I don't care much for the game. There are very few songs in the whole list that I like, and it gets really tiring to play the same few riffs over and over for 5 minutes.

I agree with Gordon that Guitar Freaks is better, but that's just personal taste.
...he said, fully erect.

Mat

Postby Mat » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:17 pm UTC

I think playing a real guitar would be more fun if I could actually play anything on it (which I can't) but guitar hero is ok. (I played the second one but I assume they're more or less the same?) I did get bored of playing the same songs after a while though, and I couldn't do the ones where you had to move your fingers.

I actually think its a bit overrated - the controller just feels stupid to hold like a guitar and just sitting there pressing buttons is less fun than jumping around stomping on things like you do in dance rhythm games.

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

the difference with dance games is that you son't feel the same sense of achievement. With GH if you mess up the guitar part cuts out, which ruins the song for most of them.

The first one has worse (in my opinion) handling of hammer ons and pull offs, I can't play it anymore because I know that a song will be ruined if I try playing it properly

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon May 07, 2007 5:34 am UTC

"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Miike

Postby Miike » Mon May 07, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

That is fantastic.
Mostly the second one.

And yeah Guitar Hero 2 is sitting over there next to my acoustic, waiting for me to ignore the latter and try for those last few five-stars! Never gonna happen though.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon May 07, 2007 4:09 pm UTC

But it'll make up for you not having any friends!

(in case you think i'm just being insulting, it's in the description of the special guitar you can buy)

Miike

Postby Miike » Mon May 07, 2007 4:15 pm UTC

I know =D

See, the trick is to get friends who are ALSO hopelessly addicted. Everybody's happy!

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon May 07, 2007 4:24 pm UTC

I guessed you probably would, but I try to minimise the times I say stuff like that, (like I told a girl that she was the most blond person there, before I realised the other meaning of what I 'd just said :oops: )

Miike

Postby Miike » Mon May 07, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

Mmm, that's not so bad.

I generally try and insinuate as many potential layers of meaning as possible into everyday conversations, though, so for someone who's not a total asshole, I suppose it could be!

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon May 07, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

rachel wrote:Not to mention after hours of watching my friends play this game, any time I hear a song that I like that just so happens to be included on GH the first thing I think is "oh, that's on guitar hero."

I can't hear "More Than a Feeling" without also hearing ghostly random 'doinks'.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Pedanthood

Postby Pedanthood » Mon May 07, 2007 6:05 pm UTC

Only when they make Violin Hero will I be truly happy.
The violin is plainly superior to your puny guitar, purely because a poorly played guitar is annoying, but a poorly played violin can actually kill you.
I have an entire graveyard full of fools who listened to me practice long ago, a graveyard which does not actually exist.
Also, triangle hero. The greatest and most beautiful of all instruments.
You can probably ignore me, I exist only to annoy.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon May 07, 2007 6:12 pm UTC

Pedanthood wrote:Only when they make Violin Hero will I be truly happy.
The violin is plainly superior to your puny guitar, purely because a poorly played guitar is annoying, but a poorly played violin can actually kill you.
I have an entire graveyard full of fools who listened to me practice long ago, a graveyard which does not actually exist.

Castanet Hero. Hands down. And the sequel, Zill Hero.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Mon May 07, 2007 7:35 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:

No love for Piano Hero? Think about it...88 buttons, with notes constantly flowing towards you...
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon May 07, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:

No love for Piano Hero? Think about it...88 buttons, with notes constantly flowing towards you...

The piano has been DONE! It is officially overexposed.

The LuigiManiac

Postby The LuigiManiac » Mon May 07, 2007 7:41 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:
The LuigiManiac wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:

Then how about Panflute Hero?
Spoiler:

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon May 07, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

Ocarina hero!
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon May 07, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:
The LuigiManiac wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:

Then how about Panflute Hero?

man, can I EVER go for that!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 07, 2007 7:54 pm UTC

Triangle Hero!

Bing

Bing

Bing-Bing

Bing
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The LuigiManiac

Postby The LuigiManiac » Mon May 07, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Triangle Hero!

Bing

Bing

Bing-Bing

Bing

Already been said (EDIT: although in hindsight, you could just be describing what it would be like to play it), and I would only get it if you could play as a certain giant monkey...
Spoiler:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 07, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

Nah, mostly I'm an idiot who didn't do a proper search.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon May 07, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

It's DDR for your fingers.

nothing more nothing less, it's no different than any other game really in terms of goal.

i had my misgivings about the game at first myself, as i was always a huge DDR fan (drunk) and thought this was just a ripoff. But what it really is, it's an outlet for the air-guitar practice sessions i've been having everyday since i was 6.

if you don't like rhythm games, that's cool, you're probably stuck up anyway.

i'd refinance my soul for a well executed: Violin Hero
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Pedanthood

Postby Pedanthood » Mon May 07, 2007 8:46 pm UTC

Well, loathe as I am to admit the depths of my obsessiveness, but...
If you get a rigid plastic rod and a big wad of blu-tak. and stick one end of the rod to the thing you wiggle on the guitar hero controller, then put the guitar to your shoulder...
I have tried this. It is not quite the same, but is entirely playable, albeit a bit harder. The tiny guitar is light and small enough, after all.
The songs make it hard to picture yourself in an orchestra, but my imagination is a powerful beast.
You can probably ignore me, I exist only to annoy.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon May 07, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

Pedanthood wrote:Well, loathe as I am to admit the depths of my obsessiveness, but...
If you get a rigid plastic rod and a big wad of blu-tak. and stick one end of the rod to the thing you wiggle on the guitar hero controller, then put the guitar to your shoulder...
I have tried this. It is not quite the same, but is entirely playable, albeit a bit harder. The tiny guitar is light and small enough, after all.
The songs make it hard to picture yourself in an orchestra, but my imagination is a powerful beast.

QFA
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Mon May 07, 2007 10:35 pm UTC

Guitar Hero is awesome. Why, you ask? DDR (and almost all other music games) are 98% J-pop and 2% sweaty fat men. Guitar Hero is 31% good ol' American rock and 69% canned gold.

ccromwell

Postby ccromwell » Mon May 07, 2007 10:48 pm UTC

The insistence of a few certain individuals in this topic to compare, again and again, Guitar Hero to playing an actual guitar is nothing short of infuriating. It's been said no less than a dozen times - there is no comparison between the two. Stop trying to find one, because it's not there. It's a fun rhythm game that appeals to fans of guitar rock rather than fans of pop and techno, like most other rhythm games. I'm good at the game, I play guitar, and everyone else I know who is good at the game also has some kind of musical aptitude. Being good at Guitar Hero, however, does not make you a good guitar player, and absolutely no one has ever made such a claim. Being a guitar player tends to give people a head start in the game, but there is still no comparison whatsoever to be made.

That said, Guitar Hero and its sequel are two of my all-time favorite games, hands down. From the song selection to the artistic presentation, I've been hooked on them for several months now.

Return to “Gaming”