Guitar Hero

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

romanlevin

Re: Your Guitar Hero/Rock Band Band Name

Postby romanlevin » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

Beatless.

I'm sure this is the least original band name ever.

Dostoevsky

Re: Your Guitar Hero/Rock Band Band Name

Postby Dostoevsky » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Band #1: The OH SNAP!

Band #2: Firebreathing Tiger

razor

Re: This is just to be an asshole to people playing Guitar Hero.

Postby razor » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:13 am UTC

I think Freebird on GH2 best fits the description in that comic.
"He who remembers much about things that matter not."

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:53 am UTC

razor wrote:I think Freebird on GH2 best fits the description in that comic.

Free Bird isn't anywhere close to the worst thing out there. Free Bird on expert is not much worse than a couple of the hardest songs in GH3 on hard. (In particular, "One", "Raining Blood", and presumably "The Devil Went Down to Georgia".) I just yesterday managed to pass Free Bird on expert, but I haven't managed to pass those three yet.

(I have put more effort into Free Bird than I have the others, and it's possible that I would have passed One back when I was working on it if my guitar didn't feel like being a bitch and spontaneously activating star power a minute before I needed it. But I would still say they are around the same difficulty.)

razor

Postby razor » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:28 am UTC

EvanED wrote:
razor wrote:I think Freebird on GH2 best fits the description in that comic.

Free Bird isn't anywhere close to the worst thing out there. Free Bird on expert is not much worse than a couple of the hardest songs in GH3 on hard. (In particular, "One", "Raining Blood", and presumably "The Devil Went Down to Georgia".) I just yesterday managed to pass Free Bird on expert, but I haven't managed to pass those three yet.

(I have put more effort into Free Bird than I have the others, and it's possible that I would have passed One back when I was working on it if my guitar didn't feel like being a bitch and spontaneously activating star power a minute before I needed it. But I would still say they are around the same difficulty.)
I was saying Free Bird because it's super easy until about half way through the song. I think the hardest song on GH2 was Psychobilly Freakout. Out of every song I've seen played I must say that "Through the Fire and Flames" is by far the craziest.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:42 am UTC

"One" has the same profile as Free Bird, and isn't much shorter ;-)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:12 am UTC

I think dragonforce is over rated.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

razor

Postby razor » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:12 am UTC

EvanED wrote:"One" has the same profile as Free Bird, and isn't much shorter ;-)

I see, I just got GH3 today so I only knew songs from 2 mostly.

Miles Invictus

Postby Miles Invictus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:07 am UTC

"One" is distilled hatred. I can't even nail the solo in practice mode. :x

Scratch that, I squeaked by the solo with star power. "Raining Blood" is the last song before my showdown with Lou.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:41 am UTC

Bahahaha, at the last swingamers party we had an epic expert through the fire and the flames pro faceoff competition

I think around 8 people were in it, I came 4th...

Note that no-one was actually able to pass the song, but in pro faceoff you cant fail. Anyway, it was pretty damn funny.

I can pass knights of cydonia on expert though...

EDIT: I dont actually own guitar hero. I just play it at friends houses and in the games lab.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

razor wrote:I think the hardest song on GH2 was Psychobilly Freakout

Jordan.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

fuzzball45

Postby fuzzball45 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

I have to agree. Jordan was by far the hardest song on GHII, and it still doesn't compare to some songs on GHIII in expert, namely One, Raining Blood, and various others.
dmoney wrote:
russianspy1234 wrote:What does that make her to me?

Fair game.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

Indeed - I completed Expert on GH2 with five stars on everything (not that I could complete Jordan), but I can't get five stars on Raining Blood on Hard, and can't even pass it on Expert. Again I've got five stars on every Expert song apart from the last set, of which I have only completed the relatively easy Cliffs Of Dover and just about managed Number Of The Beast. As for Dragonforce, I can't get past 1% on Expert. Hard's not too bad.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

One compares pretty well with beast and the harlot from 2. The solos are pretty equally nuts. I guess One is harder because it has several minutes of fast strumming but there's nothing impossible about it (outside of the already mentioned solo), just hard to do perfectly in one go. Many forget how few people are actually able to FC BATH's solo...

Raining Blood's mosh has already been FCed I thought? That whole song will be FCed sooner than later. There's prob half a dozen harder songs on GH2 to FC. Raining Blood's mosh though is just unusually long for a difficult GH solo especially considering there's only 2 star powers before it which makes people fail it but really, it's not that bad. EDIT: Yup, Raining Blood's already been FCed by multiple people.

TTFATF though is the toughest thing yet. However, just for fun:

If you were to do a top 5, I'd have to go

Hardest to pass:
1) Jordan (GH2)
2) Through The Fire and the Flames (GH3)
3) Raining Blood (GH3)
4) Freebird (GH2)
5) Play With Me (GH80s)

If you were to do a top 5 to FC, I'd have to go
1) Through The Fire and the Flames (GH3)
2) Jordan (GH2)
3) One (GH3)
4) Beast and the Harlot (GH2)
5) Ballroom Blitz (GH80s)
6) Bark at the Moon (GH1)

All 6 of those deserve to be on this list so I put 6
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

DYRE

Postby DYRE » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

mosc wrote:If you were to do a top 5 to FC, I'd have to go
2) Jordan (GH2)
3) One (GH3)

Jordan and Beast and the Harlot have been FC'd. So... they probably shouldn't be on that list.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:26 am UTC

DYRE wrote:
mosc wrote:If you were to do a top 5 to FC, I'd have to go
2) Jordan (GH2)
3) One (GH3)

Jordan and Beast and the Harlot have been FC'd. So... they probably shouldn't be on that list.

And every song has been beaten, so should zero songs be on the "hardest to beat" list? You fail at logic.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:45 am UTC

yeah really... So many more people have tried to FC Jordan than something like Ballroom Blitz. Just because BB is still on the list of "nobody's done it yet" doesn't make it harder.

Sum total of people who have FCed Beast and the Harlot: 1... I'm sorry but the one guy who did it is incredibly talented and he'll be the first to tell you he hasn't spent much time on GH3 yet so wondering why he FCed BATH but not One is more a question of what he spent time on and what he didn't more than what's harder.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

DYRE

Postby DYRE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

When I said "shouldn't be on that list," I meant, "shouldn't be where they are on that list." However, that was my fault that I failed to say that, and I now agree with what you are saying.

Frabjous

Guitar Hero on National Television

Postby Frabjous » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

My apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this; if anyone would like to politely point out where it should go, I'll repost in the right spot.

Anyway, let me start with a disclaimer. There's a pretty strong chance that this will never actually occur. However just in case, I need your help.

I might, sometime in the upcoming weeks, play Guitar Hero on the nintendo Wii (btw I hate that name, so from here on I refer to it as the Revolution) on national television. I have never before owned the game. I'm not very good. I don't know a great deal about it.

I beg all of you for helpful advice. What songs should I play? Which look impressive but aren't that hard? I'll prolly just be playing it in the background, but in case I need to talk about it, what should I know? What interesting/quirky facts exist about the game?

Thank you all. Again, do not get your hopes up. If I ever find out this will definitely not happen I'll let you know. If by some chance it seems it might actually occur, I'll submit details.

Many thanks.

Durandal

Re: Guitar Hero on National Television

Postby Durandal » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

Can I inquire as to how you'll be getting to play guitar hero on national tv (if you do)?

Since it's on the Wii, I guess that means it's Guitar Hero III... what difficulty do you usually play on? Easy/medium?

Frabjous

Postby Frabjous » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

Some people who work on the show are fans of the game, and I happen to live near the studio and I have a Revolution and the game. No biggie.

I kind of straddle medium/easy. Hard songs I mostly do on easy, the rest I try on Medium.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:04 am UTC

Frabjous wrote:(btw I hate that name, so from here on I refer to it as the Revolution)

The name is short, simple, distinct, fun, and it's not going away. Live with it.

Frabjous

Postby Frabjous » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:Live with it.

I disagree with you that it's fun. It makes me feel like an idiot whenever I say it, and I've never heard anyone saying it out loud who didn't sound like an idiot doing so. I hope that the rare instances of me saying 'Revolution' don't cause you too much stress. If it does... live with it. :D

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:15 am UTC

you get to play with your wii in front of everyone? cool :D

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Quirky facts are that the game is MONO despite what is printed on the box and I am still waiting for my replacement disk. Grrr.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:40 am UTC

...do you realize how hard it is to not go and edit the posts so they all say Wii? Do you?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:47 am UTC

No offense, but you would be hard-pressed to find a song on easy/medium that makes you look 'good', even to a casual observer. My advice is to just pick your favorite song that you can play well.

Flashh

Postby Flashh » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:07 am UTC

Yeh dude, don't stress it. I mean if it's not for competition or anything and you're just doing it to show off the game or something might as well have fun with it. Don't worry bout looking cool or anything...

Unless you're supposed to be really good...

In which get your ass playing for eight hours a day.

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:22 am UTC

You should dress up as Lou(the devil) for this. I think that would make up for any sort of failure to play above medium difficulty.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Okay, seriously, will anyone be hearing the song while you're playing it, or are you just there for visuals?

Three of my favorite songs to play on GH3, even in medium, are Mississippi Queen, Lay Down, and Knights of Cydonia. And One from Metallica keeps your fingers very, very busy, and can definitely make you look like you're really working.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:02 am UTC

There's one called Through The Fire And The Flames by a band called Dragonforce. It's really easy but looks impressive.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

I used to play that song on Sunday mornings!

Frabjous

Postby Frabjous » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...do you realize how hard it is to not go and edit the posts so they all say Wii? Do you?
This post had objectionable content.

At least have the decency to sign your work, ObjectionMod- ST

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:04 am UTC

I'm going to be a little off-topic here. Geez, mosc. I had been proud of myself for managing this earlier tonight until I saw your score:

There were four times in particular that brought me to a standstill (read: took more than one day) in GHIII. They were, in no particular order: Cult of Personality (the solo that has since become my favorite part of the game), Before I Forget (mainly the part with the three-note splits near the end - no longer a problem), the solo in One and "Mosh 1" from Raining Blood, a song that makes the final boss fight against the devil pale in comparison. I won't count TTFAF, though that took me 2 weeks, since it's not part of the game proper.

Does anybody else think it's strange that the devil picks "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" for his showdown song? The song is about a guy who gets challenged by the devil and ends up beating the hell (no pun intended) out of him. If I was going to challenge a guy, I wouldn't play a song called "Clumpy Loses Horribly in a Guitar Showdown."

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

woah waoh waoh... 900k is not my score. I was posting Chris's score. I am NOT chris and I cannot play anything resembling as well as him.

My personal best score on TTFATF on expert is like 278k so you beat me
My Scores on scorehero.com

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

My most impressive feats are (1) beating Cliffs of Dover on Expert (that's the only last-tier expert one I can do; I actually haven't yet beat The Devil Went Down to Georgia on hard), which I can do with a score of about 165,000; and (2) on Jessica, getting a 100% on all of the song sections (like what you can choose to practice) except the first and last, for a score of about 305,000. (NOTE: this is not on GH2. I don't have any consoles, so imported the songs from GH2 and hacked them into GH3. It's possible that GH3 changed the timings to make that more possible, that the far-more-visible HOPOs in GH3 help appreciably, that something got screwed up in the import (I know they aren't perfect; occasionally there will be something that I think should be a hold that is just a short note), that GH3 scores differently, or any number of other things that make that not really comparable to the same feat on a real copy of GH2.)

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Durandal wrote:No offense, but you would be hard-pressed to find a song on easy/medium that makes you look 'good', even to a casual observer. My advice is to just pick your favorite song that you can play well.

Fully agree

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

If you can keep up casual banter while playing it'd make for a much more interesting piece than if they just have the camera trained on your concentrating forehead. With that in mind, do a song on Medium that you find Easy and has plenty of breaks for banter.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

you know, now that I think of it, you want to pick a song that's strum heavy because if somebody is watching you play it will be less obvious that you suck (no offense). Picking something like my name is jonas or cult of personality would be bad because it would be obvious you were on such a low difficulty level from the lack of pulls. Picking something strumtastic like barracuda would at least give a better illusion of playing expert.

DYRE

Postby DYRE » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:33 am UTC

EvanED wrote:...(NOTE: this is not on GH2. I don't have any consoles, so imported the songs from GH2 and hacked them into GH3. It's possible that GH3 changed the timings to make that more possible...

Yep. Hammer Ons and Pull Offs were changed a lot for GH3.
Not to take anything away from that accomplishment, though. It's still impressive.

Return to “Gaming”