AFK Games

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

integral

AFK Games

Postby integral » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:05 am UTC

I never feel like I'm being productive unless I'm playing some sort of game while doing real work. It's gotten to where I can't even do homework unless I have something running. For awhile, this has been satisfied by Dwarf Fortress, since I can just get a bunch of food, queue a bunch of tasks, and do work while I glance at the screen occasionally and wait for sieges and caravans. But I've gotten a bit tired of that, so I want something else I can play while doing homework. I've tried writing macros or whatever for other games (RPGs, mostly) to automate some stuff, but that's gotten boring as well.

I call these kind of games "AFK Games" because it's like you're playing it, but you don't need to spend much attention to it. You're not really afk while you play, just not as involved in it as you would in a regular game. It's kinda hard to look for these kind of games on Google (there's no real search term that can describe all of the above, plus AFK Games is a game company, which adds flak). So I was wondering if you guys had any games that would satisfy this sort of thing.

Some examples:
Dwarf Fortress (only big one)

Some non-examples:
Stuff like Kings of Chaos or other browser RPG-ish games. They usually just involve using up your daily resource, spending it on stuff, and then waiting. I'd like something that, if you wanted to, you could put all your time into and play, but that you could play reasonably well without paying much attention.
WoW (no thanks)

I don't care about the genre of the game, as long as it's on the computer. Multiplayer elements also prefered. After thinking a bit about this criteria though, it seems like (MMO)RPGs are the only one that really satisfies it. I mean, an "AFK" FPS or RTS? lol.

This is kind of a windy post, but it's kinda hard to describe what I'm hoping for. So, does anyone know about a game that fits this?

Bruce

Re: AFK Games

Postby Bruce » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:41 am UTC

Perhaps check out DEFCON, it has a real time mode where you can prepare your ships and such and wait for DEFCON1. Possibly also some kind of sim* game (any of them).
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

FACM

Postby FACM » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

Progress Quest is about as much of a game as you can have while not having input. You could look into that for a couple minutes.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:42 pm UTC

Well, I was going to be all "Try Progress Quest", but FACM beat me to it. You'll rue this day, FACM! Rue it I say!

.. wait, that's really not a big deal... so.. um.. nevermind on the ruing!

Maybe give Burning Sand a go? Though.. it's.. not really a game. In the sense of there being goals and such.. so I guess it's a ......sandbox game.......
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

http://awbw.amarriner.com/

If you're into Advance Wars it's like AW by snail mail. But it won't really use up too much time...Your average turn in a game takes about 10 minutes.

integral

Postby integral » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Thanks for the replies, guys. Progress Quest is a brilliant idea. I'm already level 10!

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:20 am UTC

There was an IRC RPG going around a while back which was based around idling. You could go up levels by idling for long periods of time!
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:27 am UTC

Turn-based strategy games are perfect for this purpose. Look into getting any of the Civilization games, or get a PlayStation emulator and play Final Fantasy Tactics (one of the best games ever imo. I hate the rest of the FF series though.)

It's nice because it doesn't matter how long you take, so you don't have to worry about how often you check up on it.

Worms Armageddon is also loads of fun; normally your turn has a timer, but you can set it to infinite if you like. There's nothing better than waging warfare with cute little worms using implausible weaponry.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:40 am UTC

Sins of a Solar Empire is an RTS with a slow enough pace that you can easily leave it alone for quite a while without any risk.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

Try playing Supreme Commander. I've left some of my games for half an hour and come back with the enemy base a-shambles, and no damage to my own.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well, I was going to be all "Try Progress Quest", but FACM beat me to it. You'll rue this day, FACM! Rue it I say!

.. wait, that's really not a big deal... so.. um.. nevermind on the ruing!

Maybe give Burning Sand a go? Though.. it's.. not really a game. In the sense of there being goals and such.. so I guess it's a ......sandbox game.......

Ooh, thanks. I hadn't realized that BS2 was out (though Alpha right now). So awesome!
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

Browser games like Urban Dead or ForumWarz perhaps?

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:09 am UTC

Try conquerclub.com

It's basically just risk (the board game), but on the internet and with lots of different maps to try. You have 24 hours to take your turn, so it's pretty easy to manage.

EDIT: Also, :shock: at Progress Quest.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:51 am UTC

If we're mentioning browser games, I'll have to also add Desktop Tower Defense. Click at your own peril. (By that I mean, it's addictive, and not that it installs malicious software or something.)

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:05 am UTC

Eve Online... especially mining in high sec areas.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

The Sims. In fact, I think it makes it's a better screensaver than it is an actual game.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

Did they ever fix Kings of Chaos.

I used to play the hell out of it years and years ago, and actually amassed a powerful kingdom.

I quit because of the major flaw - Defense did nothing. Offense was more effective.
You could focus only on offense and decimate kingdoms far bigger and more powerful than yourself and steal their gold. There is nothing they could do to stop it, even if they played elf and spent all money on defense.

So did they make defense worth something? If so I will probably start it up again.

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:stuff
+1 That game was awesome, and if they fixed it, I too wouldn't hesitate to start playing again.

Check out Civ IV. Awesome game, and being turn based, you can take as long as you want each turn.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

Return to “Gaming”