Guitar Rising

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gizzmo0815

Guitar Rising

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

It's a game I guess...but also a training tool. So this actually might fit into the "Music" forum as well...

...BUT. For those Guitar Hero/Rock band fans. I came across This Site. Fix'd Link

A "game" being developed that looks like Guitar Hero, but is designed to be used with a real guitar. It actually looks pretty impressive.

Thoughts?
Life is "trying things to see if they work".
-Ray Bradbury

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Re: Guitar Rising

Postby Ati » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

A friend of mine got a guitar for Christmas.

I'm getting him this for his birthday.
I can kill you with my brain.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:40 am UTC

They thought up a much better interface than the one I had half-formed. It looks like an inordinate amount of practice may be required, as the numbers on the frets may be difficult to read. Still, I can't imagine not wanting this. Is it going to use a pitch sensor to determine accuracy? I might have to replace my strings.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:28 am UTC

page not found, and I was going to ask if I could play it on my violin

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:02 am UTC

4=5 wrote:page not found, and I was going to ask if I could play it on my violin

Just drop the "//url" from the end of the linked page, or just use this link.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:15 am UTC

That is so rad! My mom (who plays guitar) tried to play Guitar Hero and kept saying how fun it was, but that she wished she could play on her own guitar.

Must purchase. It might actually motivate me to play a real guitar.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:10 am UTC

If they have some decent songs on there, that would be really cool.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:09 am UTC

EvanED wrote:If they have some decent songs on there, that would be really cool.

That's where it all falls apart, of course. The track listing looks like the same no-name stuff you often see from independent games. I think that everybody knows this game isn't accessible or low-maintenance enough to be as popular as Guitar Hero, and it'll be tough to get some names behind it until it shows some miraculous success.

Miles Invictus

Postby Miles Invictus » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

I'll bet they include a way to import and edit tablature. It's not that difficult; a class project I did last October is a poor-college-student version of this, and it can import tabs no problem.

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

It would be very simple to implement a system where you could input tablature in simple notepad (or whatever) format and make it playable. The problem then would be matching up the speed of the song with the tablature and vice versa. Another option would be a recording feature where you play the song (while listening to the song in a headset) and the program records the music. The problem with that is that a guitar that's not in tune would really hurt the quality of the track (or if the player just sucked). But as a replacement for "learning by tab" this is a pretty neat option. Either way, the applicability of the program as a teaching/learning tool would increase tenfold if it could be modified by the user.

As a musician my one complaint is that it doesn't seem to have implemented a method to actually teach you what notes and/or chords you're playing. It's WAY important to learn the theory behind the music if you want to be able to write music by yourself well, and not just how to read tablature (which any idiot can do). But this is all, of course, my opinion.
Life is "trying things to see if they work".
-Ray Bradbury

Return to “Gaming”