The Witcher

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SilentSigil

The Witcher

Postby SilentSigil » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:18 am UTC

I didn't see a topic for this game anywhere, but I think it deserves a spotlight.

The main character is a womanizing badass who destroys pretty much anything in his way, to include Cthulu's little buddies and death itself.
The story is convoluted in ways that stretch from the beginning to the end of the game, very interesting and twisted.

Any comments from the peanut gallery?

*edit* fixed mah italics
Last edited by SilentSigil on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

Token

Re: The Witcher

Postby Token » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:19 am UTC

I now get all my information on games from Zero Punctuation. It wasn't reviewed favourably.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:17 pm UTC

Then the dude's got poor taste, as the game's nice.

Then again, I did install the "Everyone speaks in Polish and the subtitles make more sense and go into greater depth" mod before I did much in the game. It's... astounding how much it adds to the atmosphere when you can't understand a word they're saying and have to read the subtitles.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

I borrowed the game from a friend, but it seems that it's running into the same vista (Yes, I know) related bug as Supreme Commander... At some point, it just crashes. That's the only thing I have resembling a reason why it does so, anyhow.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

Re: SupCom - Check the thread here for possible fixes/troubleshooting help?

Back to Albino Whatsizface and his twin swords of Agony and Despair. Really, it's more fun if you call his swords Agony and Despair or something similar enough to it.

I need to play with Alchemy more.. I've got a sack full of ingredients, but can't make a potion out of them because I'm always missing some key component, it seems...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Crescent

Postby Crescent » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

I thought it was a fairly awesome game, although some of the dialog seems mistranslated or cut off, sorta pulls you out of the mood at times.

They're releasing an enhanced edition though, and they're claiming to fix the english dialogue as well as lowering loading times and other fixes. They even have a modding tool coming out, so we might see some good community mods.
Look, look! I'm a rocket

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

Enhanced edition?

So, can I get it as a free download or can I send them my copy and get the fancy copy back for a nominal fee or something?

I'm off to research!

Research completed - registered owners can download the enhancements for free.

Whew... I was about to get severely annoyed.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

I hate this game...wait, no I don't, I just hate the guys at the hospital shouting "MY LUNGS, SOME KIND OF CURSE," because every time I try imitating them, I really hurt my throat.

Anyway, it's a pretty cool game, and I quite like the fact that there is no black and white in the game, just shades of grey.

taarnling

Postby taarnling » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Then the dude's got poor taste, as the game's nice.

Then again, I did install the "Everyone speaks in Polish and the subtitles make more sense and go into greater depth" mod before I did much in the game. It's... astounding how much it adds to the atmosphere when you can't understand a word they're saying and have to read the subtitles.

The game is very nice, for the somewhat different feeling world if nothing else.

I can't believe that I never went mod hunting for this game though. When did this Polish language/English subtitles mod thing get released? It might be enough to get me to go back to playing...

Edit: Wow, just did a bit of looking around and it looks like there is a new patch, as well as an "Adventure Editor" that had been released recently. Has anyone taken a look at this yet? I'm having some trouble downloading it, but I'm really interested in how it is and what it changes.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

I played it for about 5 hours. Hated it. Stopped.

The combat is stupid, the interface is something out of 1995, the main character was fairly uninteresting and the story was so backgrounded after the first section that I lost all interest.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:53 am UTC

I'm dying to see if a sequel of some sort is in the makings, or if they plan on using their new mod system to deliver the good for the rest of the story.

It'd even be cool if the author of the book series wrote the next chapter in the line of what happened in the game...

I'd like to know for sure who is who and what is what :)

mosc- the interface is interchangeable... there are three options available. The combat gets more in depth when you actually start fighting monsters with different abilities, and you are right about the story, but a lot of people like that kind of thing :)

If you hate it, oh well... I thought it was teh awesome. I bought this and Portal on the same day not too long ago so I'm pretty much blissed out on gameage right now :D

The new edition would excite me more if I was one of those people who registered things or kept those silly little codes you register with. Unfortunately, I'm not, so I would have to buy the new one out of a store, anyways. :(
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

zealo

Postby zealo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:36 am UTC

Token wrote:I now get all my information on games from Zero Punctuation. It wasn't reviewed favourably.

what he said
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

taarnling

Postby taarnling » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

zealo wrote:
Token wrote:I now get all my information on games from Zero Punctuation. It wasn't reviewed favourably.

what he said

Handy not having to actually make up your own mind about anything, eh? Saves all that thinking for other folks :mrgreen:

But no, Witcher sure isn't for everyone, and it does take a bit of getting used to as far as combat and stuff. But for those who enjoy an old-school RPG that doesn't hold your hand too much (like the ones from 1995 :wink:) it's a good bit of fun.

Token

Postby Token » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

taarnling wrote:Handy not having to actually make up your own mind about anything, eh? Saves all that thinking for other folks :mrgreen:

Well,

a) Zero Punctuation has, as far as I can recall, reviewed two games favourably. Mostly I watch it because I enjoy the humor inherent in excessive mockery, which leads to

b) I wasn't being entirely serious, but even if I was,

c) The points about the gameplay raised in the review are at least valid, if only for the part of the game he played. And I need to get into a game right from the start if it's going to hold my interest.

d) Yeah, why should I let other people play games and then tell me about them? I should buy them all and play them myself. I think I'll play them on the luxury yacht that I also can't afford.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

Having watched the review....

Yeah, Mr. Zero Punc. doesn't play computer games, or at least play them often or something, as .. well, there's several submenus and such, but nowhere near what I've seen in some RPGs. I think he was expecting an Action RPG and was upset that he got an action RPG. With menus and stat blocks and bizarre arcane steps needed to perform what sensibly seems a logical task.

But, his points are valid if you're not down with the computer RPG stylin', kickin' it oldschool mid 90s flavor.

Miles Invictus

Postby Miles Invictus » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

I bought it in January, and played it for about five hours before forgetting about it entirely. I think I gave up on it because of the total lack of fun that makes up the combat sequences. It's a combination of turn-based and action-based systems that is completely unintuitive. They should've gotten off the fence, or at least playtested it to eliminate the more irritating flaws.

Crescent

Postby Crescent » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

I thought the combat system was fine, at least you don't have to wildly spam the mousebutton to make things happen, which I personally hate.

(Most of the combat revolves around choosing the right sword for the job (steel for humans and animals, and silver for monsters) then choosing the right stance, strong, fast or group. After that it's just clicking once to initate an attack sequence then clicking again at the right times to chain into the next while throwing magic (which is called signs in the game) into the mix.
It's much more fun on the hard difficulty in my opnion, you're much more reliant on your preperations (the aforementioned, and also lots of different potions) than on medium. Also the indicator of when to click to initiate the next swings are more subtle.)

All in all I didn't find it buggy or uninteresting in the least, I think it was a bold move to try something completely new (at least I havent tried anything like it before) rather than stick to the tried and true approach.
Look, look! I'm a rocket

Miles Invictus

Postby Miles Invictus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:02 am UTC

I approve of variation, but I don't like what they came up with. It felt like KOTOR, except that I had to keep clicking on enemies to attack them.

taarnling

Postby taarnling » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

I don't know, I kind of liked the combat myself. Having to click more than once, with the proper timing, helped keep it interesting. More interesting than click and forget or something. It's not Mount and Blade of course where the combat is half the reason for playing, but I thought it was good.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon May 23, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

Ker-bump. Because I finally finished this now that the sequel is out. Not that I've ever done that before. *cough*

Anyway, about the ending:
Spoiler:
Was the Grand Master supposed to be a grown up alvin? :shock:

Also, I'm curious how the game ended if you sided with the order instead of the Scoia'tael. Are you still the hero, or more like an anti-hero then?

MrConor

Postby MrConor » Tue May 24, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Ker-bump. Because I finally finished this now that the sequel is out. Not that I've ever done that before. *cough*

Spoiler:

Also, I'm curious how the game ended if you sided with the order instead of the Scoia'tael. Are you still the hero, or more like an anti-hero then?

Yes, I believe he was. His dialogue on the road up the mountain changes depending on what you said to him during your conversations before he disappeared. Plus, it is mentioned that he might have the ability to travel in time and he is wearing the necklace that Triss made for him.

As to the second question: I wouldn't know; I refused to side with either of them. I believe the crucial with-us-or-against-us point is the Scoia'tael attack on the villagers - you can help them or the Order or you can refuse to pick a side, and the outcomes and missions available are different between that point and the final attack on Salamandra - and each of the three paths has an opportunity for a unique sex card (the neutral path nets you a pair of two nurses, the Order is with the bald woman who led them, and the Scoia'tael is with some elf who was important in the plot for some reason I cannot recall). Given that the Scoia'tael were threatening murder of innocents and the Order had been persecuting them, I went for the neutral option. You still end up (ultimately) siding with the King, and hunting down Salamandra and so on, so you are still (I imagine) 'the hero' responsible for killing the Big Bad and restoring order.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue May 24, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

Yea, but
Spoiler:
the big bad was the leader of the order, it's strange you would side with them and then kill their leader. Hence why I was curious.

KingofMadCows

Postby KingofMadCows » Wed May 25, 2011 8:46 am UTC

Spoiler:
If you side with the Order, Siegfried becomes the leader of the Order and remains loyalty to the king. He also helps to fight the members who turned against the king.

Tharwen

Postby Tharwen » Thu May 26, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:I hate this game...wait, no I don't, I just hate the guys at the hospital shouting "MY LUNGS, SOME KIND OF CURSE," because every time I try imitating them, I really hurt my throat.

Anyway, it's a pretty cool game, and I quite like the fact that there is no black and white in the game, just shades of grey.

I've noticed that too. I've played about 8 hours, and I particularly like such decisions as the one where you have to
Spoiler:
choose between the villagers and Abigail (I chose to save Abigail, and I suspect that will lead to her turning on me at some point in the future because she just seems too nice for a character in a dark fantasy, and also the man-shaped doll in her house makes me suspicious (please don't spoil it for me))
because it was basically a choice between two potential evils, each of which offered major changes to the plot and didn't just come down to 'press X to be a dickhead'.
[Insert witty signature about inserting a witty signature here here]

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu May 26, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Ker-bump. Because I finally finished this now that the sequel is out. Not that I've ever done that before. *cough*

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
YES, hints, hints everywhere. Off my head, he mentions a debt to you when you first meet, is a time-traveling knight with superpowers (Gerald told alvin to be a knight IIRC), as the same amulet than alvin but older, alvin disappeared somewhere in time, he tries to win you over until the end, et caetera et caetera.

MrConor

Postby MrConor » Fri May 27, 2011 12:43 am UTC

Tharwen wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:I hate this game...wait, no I don't, I just hate the guys at the hospital shouting "MY LUNGS, SOME KIND OF CURSE," because every time I try imitating them, I really hurt my throat.

I've noticed that too. I've played about 8 hours, and I particularly like such decisions as the one where you have to
Spoiler:
choose between the villagers and Abigail (I chose to save Abigail, and I suspect that will lead to her turning on me at some point in the future because she just seems too nice for a character in a dark fantasy, and also the man-shaped doll in her house makes me suspicious (please don't spoil it for me))
because it was basically a choice between two potential evils, each of which offered major changes to the plot and didn't just come down to 'press X to be a dickhead'.

Spoiler:
I particularly like Geralt's speech outside the cavern if you choose Abigail. Crowning moment of badass, that.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sat May 28, 2011 10:52 am UTC

Tharwen wrote:because it was basically a choice between two potential evils, each of which offered major changes to the plot and didn't just come down to 'press X to be a dickhead'.
Well you're going to hate half the choices in the game (or at least, most of the major ones). Because there is usually no "right" decision, at best you're usually leapfrogging from less bad to not-quite-as-horrifying.

Return to “Gaming”