All things GTA4 (Merged threads)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cypherspace

Re: All things GTA4 (Merged threads)

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 06, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Thank you. A good answer. Less condescension in the first place might be appreciated in future.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed May 07, 2008 12:00 am UTC

You choose "Active crimes" or something like that, and it works exactly like in the old games. It hasn't been changed at all, except now you press L1 and then X instead of R3. Whoop-de-doo.

TomBot

Postby TomBot » Wed May 07, 2008 5:43 am UTC

I actually wouldn't be that fond of a prohibition-era GTA. If you want that, play Godfather or Mafia. I think the main thing that makes GTA work is its cultural commentary, and nobody really understands the 30's well enough to make a good commentary or understand one. I would really enjoy a futuristic expansion, though. Sort of half-way between the present and Futurama - like only some cars can hover, etc. It'd be interesting to see where Rockstar thinks we're going.

The realism is still quite limited. I haven't yet stolen a jetpack from area 51, but I did kill 100s of cops robbing a bank and flew a helicopter while a rastafarian took out another one with a stinger missile. I guess I can appreciate the slightly less zany nature, though.

I was about to say I didn't mind not having in-mission checkpoints. Then I took about 10 tries to pass Smackdown, where I kept dying on the third part - now I know the route to that Burger Shot by heart.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Wed May 07, 2008 8:48 am UTC

TomBot wrote:I actually wouldn't be that fond of a prohibition-era GTA. If you want that, play Godfather or Mafia. I think the main thing that makes GTA work is its cultural commentary, and nobody really understands the 30's well enough to make a good commentary or understand one. I would really enjoy a futuristic expansion, though. Sort of half-way between the present and Futurama - like only some cars can hover, etc.

Err.... That's a little contradictory. I have a feeling most people understand the '30s better than they understand the future
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

jamesmcm

Postby jamesmcm » Wed May 07, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

Nah, I think the next one should be based in London like the old expansions were. Perhaps introduce a gang/faction system a la GTA2 also.

The only things missing in GTAIV are:
Proper car crushing physics - i.e. when one car is on top of another.

Multiple factions to choose missions from and so multiple storylines and endings.

Oh and I hate the way when you press 'X' to break away the police react immediately - it should be like press 'X' to lower weapon and then allow you to either stand still or react.

and then minor things like faster walking speed, better handling, less bloom, brighter/lighter environments etc.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Wed May 07, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

jamesmcm wrote:Nah, I think the next one should be based in London like the old expansions were. Perhaps introduce a gang/faction system a la GTA2 also.

I agree, a London setting with the new age graphics would be incredible. I didn't fully appreciate GTA4 until I got into a helicopter, the view is just amazing. Plus, London is just badass.

And I don't like the idea of a GTA in the past or future, they just wouldn't work well. I played Mafia with high expectations, and was severely let down, but then again if any one could pull it off it would be Rockstar.

Oh, and I wanted to add that the friend system is really awesome. Although it can be really annoying to have to take out all of your friends, it can be fun, and the rewards for each friend are definitely worth it.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat May 10, 2008 2:00 am UTC

Completed.

Fantastic storyline, and now I need to go back through it and make some different choices to see what happens. Probably two choices in particular. Oh, and complete Brucie's car-grabbing things, and find more pigeons, and... well, lots of stuff. It says so much about the game that I wasn't bored once though.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sat May 10, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Just wanted to add some stuff I found cool:

A two person agrument on the street went:
Person 1: Cigarettes are bad.
Person 2: Yeah, but they look cool when you smoke them.
Person 1: You're right.

I'm glad the missions are way more varied than the previous ones, they keep a lot of stuff interesting. That said, I'm stuck on Snow Storm and it is a bitch.

When you guys have the option, do you tend to kill or save people? I saved a couple people and then I ran into them later on the streets and they gave me small missions, which I thought was cool.

Oh, and right after you do the mission for Dwayne at the arcade there is this article in the news about how video-games caused this violence and not all the crack the murdered were on. I thought it was funny.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat May 10, 2008 5:48 am UTC

I'm glad the missions are way more varied than the previous ones, they keep a lot of stuff interesting. That said, I'm stuck on Snow Storm and it is a bitch.

I absolutely hate it when GTA throws those crappy missions that just involve shooting up a building full of guys. GTA doesn't have the controls or the AI of a good, pure TPS, and never will. I don't know why they move away from their strengths (the quirky, fun missions that make the games so great), just to show off their weak points.

Fuck the Snow Storm.

Edit: The story really gets going right after that though, so at least you've got a decent reward on the other side of that mission.

GrawSith

Postby GrawSith » Sun May 11, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Three things that GTA4 should have taken from Saint's Row (irony, yes):

[1] - Big explosions. BIG damn explosion. Tinkling glass and hundreds of shards is good Rockstar, but SR had heat waves and distortion ripples and Havok-ised explosions. A chopper going down was orgasmic. Also, that trick where you line up ten cars and chain-reaction explode them is way too slow in GTAIV.

[2] - Damage-able trains. SR treated trains like cars, and trust me, seeing a three-carriage fireball hurtling off a two-story high track onto a freeway is deliciously awesome.

[3] - An easier free-aim. Unguided aiming actually works, Rockstar. Maybe free-aim could be in the options menu? Maybe that half-trigger nonsense could have been re-allocated or toggled or removed?

(But it's still a godlike game. Nine thumbs up!)

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun May 11, 2008 3:44 am UTC

GrawSith wrote:Also, that trick where you line up ten cars and chain-reaction explode them is way too slow in GTAIV.

You're doin' it wrong.

GrawSith wrote:[3] - An easier free-aim. Unguided aiming actually works, Rockstar. Maybe free-aim could be in the options menu? Maybe that half-trigger nonsense could have been re-allocated or toggled or removed?

...Start>Controls>Auto-aim?

aquatoad

Postby aquatoad » Tue May 13, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:I absolutely hate it when GTA throws those crappy missions that just involve shooting up a building full of guys. GTA doesn't have the controls or the AI of a good, pure TPS, and never will. I don't know why they move away from their strengths (the quirky, fun missions that make the games so great), just to show off their weak points.

To be fair though, the cover system has made these missions much, much, MUCH less painful than in previous iterations. Snow storm is pretty much a cake walk until NOOSE shows up, with a little strategy.
Lots of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to.
- Banksy

http://www.last.fm/user/aquatoad/

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed May 14, 2008 3:11 am UTC

Oh yeah, now that you can just turtle up behind a crate and mow every baddie down (since they're all far too stupid to consider flanking you. Ever), it's not difficult any more... It just sucks.

Rockstar needs to, like, fuse with some other studio that actually knows its ass from its elbow when it comes to gameplay.

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Wed May 14, 2008 6:10 am UTC

Epic fo' so'. Gears of War had a gnarly, simple cover system.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

Woxor

Postby Woxor » Wed May 14, 2008 6:27 am UTC

I'm not too far on the missions, since the first dozen or so were boring, and the multiplayer is awesome. The better physics make it pretty exciting to screech down a street trying to plow down your enemies, only to have someone shoot your car until it flames, and then you jump out at 60mph, tumbling painfully down the street as your car explodes. Also, dropping grenades out the car window is unexpectedly awesome.

As for the single player, I'm less enthusiastic. I mean, it's great and all, but coming off of San Andreas, they could be off to a better start. There's a reasonable amount of extra stuff to do, but seriously: pool, darts, bowling, eating dinner, getting drunk, dating, watching TV, and surfing the internet? If those were in addition to eight or so exciting side activities (a la vigilante/fire dept/etc.), then they'd be awesome. Instead, it looks like the developers kept a small number of cool things from the previous editions and spent too much time on trivial things. There's very little in the way of stores, safehouses, or any kind of interactable building. If you're going to make a game where the setting is a single city, you have to actually have more than, you know, the streets.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed May 14, 2008 6:51 am UTC

Woxor wrote:a la vigilante/fire dept/etc.

Vigilante and the taxi missions are still there, just accessed differently. And the fire department and ambulance missions sucked if you ask me.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

Anyone get the new content for GTA 4? How is it? I've downloaded it, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

I've just got a ps3, so I'm wondering if I should get this or Saints Row. Also, if anyone has played both, how are the controls for aiming? Generally I dislike trying to aim FPS-style on a console, so if it's a prominent feature I'll probably want it for the computer instead.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:51 pm UTC

Phen wrote:I've just got a ps3, so I'm wondering if I should get this or Saints Row.

If you liked the cartoony over-the-top violence of the earlier GTA games, and like the car customization, etc. of them, get Saints Row. But be aware the characters & story are going to play out like a socially-inempt white suburban kid's idea of what life on the "street" is like.

If you are looking for a really good story arc with great character development, amazingly beautiful and detailed cars/people/locations and a rich environment to explore, Get GTA4. But be aware a lot of the zanier elements have been removed to make it more realistic & immersive.

GTA4 has auto-targeting & manual targeting. The auto-targeting is much better than in San Andreas, but still has a nasty habit of occasionally targeting that <i>extremely dangerous</i> hooker down the block rather than the cop next to you pointing a shotgun at your face.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

Anyone else live in the New York area? What do you think are the closest equivalents to the radio stations in GTA4?

Liberty Rock Radio is Q104.3
Massive B radio is 93.5
Electrochoc does not exist, sadly.
Radio Broker is WNYU.
San Juan sounds is... what? 97.9?
LCHC is more like 89.5 Seton Hall's radio station than KRock (RIP).
Dunno what the equivalent of Vibe or Studio 109 would be.
Pretty sure there's no equivalent of IF99 or it would be on my presets. I can live with that because there's no Z100 in the game.
PLR is kind of like 93.9 WNYC or WBAI
WKTT is probably one of those AM stations like WABC.
Classics doesn't exist, I don't think.
There's probably an equivalent of BEAT FM but I don't know what it is.
Vladivostok doesn't exist either.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Return to “Gaming”