Battlefield 2142

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Emu*

Battlefield 2142

Postby Emu* » Thu May 29, 2008 2:12 am UTC

I've been playing for about 11 months now, and have built up a reasonable level of skill...

Anyone else here a victim of shoddy EA coding? I'm usually on the 50klicks.com servers.

http://www.2142-stats.com/Emu*+stats.html
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

Xaddak

Re: Battlefield 2142

Postby Xaddak » Thu May 29, 2008 3:21 am UTC

I loved this game, but unless I had a full squad of competent people to lead (I can lead squads rather well, same for team leading - it is kind of like a RTS =P I'm just mediocre at the FPS parts), then I would get frustrated and quit within five minutes because we would lose because nobody would co-operate.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Thu May 29, 2008 3:29 am UTC

Meh... I played for a couple months then reverted to BF2. I don't really like the whole titan thing. The sniper invisibility thingy is pretty cool though. I was also disappointed by the lack of any fast-flying planes or bombing abilities like in BF2.

I still have the game on EA link with the northern strike expansion pack so if anyone wants to buy my account I'll sell it cheap.
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

benbw

Postby benbw » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:15 am UTC

I liked this game, but it got pretty old after a while. I do like to play the First Strike mod, which is a Star Wars conversion, because the people are less idiotic and the mod works pretty well.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

I just bought the game because 5 friends are playing it consistantly.

Any advice? Will be installing tonight.

Ixtellor

P.S. Finally hit level 45 on my 5th prestige on CoD5. Need a BREAK!!!
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

I've been waiting since the game came out, first to get a decent computer to play it and afterwards to see the price drop from the 80-ish dollar pricetag. I havn't heard that it should be much better than BF2, so I remain 2142-less. And I've been too much in love with CoD4 lately, anyhow... But I still like the idea of playing around with mechs. :D
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:09 am UTC

$80? What, were you looking at a collector's edition? It's $30 right now, and it includes Northern Strike.

I'm a victim of terrible EA customer service, yep. I play it off and on, but last time I had it installed, Punkbuster was giving me all kinds of hell, and the only remaining solution is to go registry diving and remove every single trace of Punkbuster from my system so it will be installed correctly - or format my drive.

If you're new to the game, Assault is the best kit to start with. Spend your first unlock on the defib, and then pick up frag grenades, the stamina boost, the stamina recovery boost, and the improved medkit. If you prefer big, slow guns, proceed to work your way down to the Baur. If you like fast, weak guns, pick up the Voss. Or just do what I do and stick with the SCAR and Krylov, since they're perfect the way they are. Whore your medkit to anyone nearby that needs any kind of healing, and do everything you can to revive everyone around you that dies, particularly on conquest maps - every ticket counts.

If you aren't a fan of front lines play, you can play as a sniper or spec ops as Recon, support fire as Support, or vehicle killer as an Engineer, but those kits will earn points a little more slowly than Assault early on.

Focus on getting badges and pins in order to give you a boost to the next rank. Bronze level badges are all worth 20 points, Silver level badges are worth 50, and Gold a hefty 200. Pins are usually worth an extra 5 or 10 points, and ribbons are usually worth 200 or more. You can get your HALO ribbon very early on by hopping into a gunship, flying way high up, bailing out, and just popping your parachute right away. Just make sure you're piloting it, or you'll pod out and will not get a shot at the ribbon; air transports will not work for this because all passengers pod out, rather than bail out.

Finding a server that enforces teamplay and squadding is critical to getting anything out of the game. I play primarily on the Texas Teamplayers servers, and occasionally on the TacticalGamer servers, and I wouldn't bother with anywhere else. Both servers aggressively enforce the rules on the server, and rapidly punish lone wolves and people who aren't there to play for the team. Both servers are also very friendly to newbies and as long as you're willing to speak up and ask questions, the veterans will certainly help you learn how to play.

Keep in mind that many vehicles are more vulnerable in certain places than in others and that not every weapon can harm vehicles. FAVs are the only vehicles that are vulnerable to virtually any weapon (from AV rockets down to assault rifles and even the SMGs) and don't have any particular weak points - speeders are also much like this. APCs tend to be a little more vulnerable in the rear, and are immune to small arms fire - you'll need to hop into a Rorsch or grab someone's Engineer kit if you want to do some damage to one. APCs usually take about two to four hits from a standard AV weapon. Tanks are all very vulnerable in the rear (and for the A-8 Tiger, the back of the turret counts as the rear of the tank), and a single well-placed shot from another tank, an AV weapon, or a Rorsch can instantly destroy one; otherwise, expect to have to hit them three to five times. Both Battlewalkers are vulnerable in the knees and extremely vulnerable in the ventilation vents between the legs - even small arms fire can damage a Battlewalker there. Hitboxes on walkers are a little wonky, but in general two to four hits to knees or one or two to the vents should drop one. Shoot Gunships in the engines (particularly the Doragon) and do the same for Air Transports.

All assault rifles work best when used in small bursts, and remember that you can toggle between automatic and semi-automatic fire. The Baur can be used as an impromptu sniper rifle by zooming in and using careful semiauto shots. Crouch, zoom, and fire. Be sure to aim for the head.

The Support light machineguns all become more accurate the longer they're fired, but you also need to be careful and monitor their heat. LMGs work best when fired in long, frequent bursts. The Ganz works best when fired in short, frequent bursts. The shotgun is a shotgun, and as such works best while remaining mobile.

You can treat Engineer SMGs and the Lambert Carbine much like you would any assault rifle. The SMGs have a shorter effective range and have less recoil, but otherwise behave identically to assault rifles.

Always wear heavy armor any time you expect to be in combat with other infantry with any degree of frequency. You can wear light armor on vehicle-focused maps like Highway Tampa and Verdun.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 am UTC

Ah, so it has. 30 dollars for the vanilla version, 20 for northen strike.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:44 am UTC

It should be $30 for 2142 Deluxe, which includes NS. Where, exactly, are you getting these things from? Probably simpler to just buy it direct from EA via digital distribution.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:44 pm UTC

159 DKK = 26.8 USD for the vanilla version at betafon.dk Might find it for a few kroner cheaper somewhere else, but not much. And 99 DKK for northen strike. The only time I tried EA's download thingy was with Spore and that didn't work well at all.

EDIT: And upon checking, it's the same from EA's online store. The deluxe goes for 399 DKK, which is about 67 dollars. Still cheaper than when it was first released.

Cue rant about overpricing.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:11 pm UTC

I paid $19 bucks for the delux addition at Target.

http://www.target.com/gp/search/175-962 ... =sr_bx_1_1

Ixtellor

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

Now you're just rubbing it in.

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

Whereabouts are you location-less guys? it'd be great to get us squadded up on some server, but I'm not aware of many servers which would give Some Asshole and I both acceptable pings with the physical distance which exists...

I'm guessing most of you guys are running nVidia graphics cards? I haven't had any real stability out of 2142 since summer 2007 when my PC was new but I've mislaid my XP CD so no complete reinstall possible yet¬
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:16 am UTC

I still run 2142 on my old rig... 128MB 9600XT and a paltry 512MB of RAM. It has to run it at 800x600 with most settings at minimum, but it still gets an acceptable 30 fps in most places.

I play primarily on Texas Teamplayers servers, which are all located in Dallas, TX. I ping about 15-30 to all of them regardless of the game :D
Everyone wants a slice.™

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:44 pm UTC

Ok, the fact that I dominate at CS and CoD games, didnt' help at all.

I suck harsh so far. Been playing assault kit, and it seems like I have to shoot people MANY times to get a kill and lots of them can 1 shot me.

I tried playing recon because I greatly prefer single shot weapons, but it takes like 3 hits for a kill with the base gun, and the reload time is INSANE.

Is there ever a rapid fire single shot weapon? Like the G3 in CoD4 or the rifles in CoD5?

I want a gun that takes like 3-4 hits to get a kill, but isn't full auto and requires me to aim.

Played for 4 maps and didn't even hit the 2nd level yet. Was BRUTAL.

Also, I can't get my mic to work on it for some reason.

Ixtellor

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 am UTC

Battlefield is a far cry from CS, DoD, and other Source games. Being good at those games will not help you much.

Aim for the head. I can't stress this enough. Crouch, zoom, shoot - in that order, every time. The default ARs and the Voss can take six to ten shots to bring someone in heavy armor down, while it only takes two to four shots to the head to do the same; the Baur does it in about four to seven or two to three.

A headshot with a sniper rifle of any kind is invariably fatal.

You gotta learn to lead your targets, because the ballistics model for Battlefield is a hell of a lot different from Source games, as I'm sure you've noticed.

Join a squad, use your mic (make sure it's plugged in before configuring?), and stay with your squaddies. If you're new, pick up peoples' kits (default key is G) and learn to use the various goodies they'll likely have.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

Assault rifles have a singleshot mode which might help you (Not quite as nice as the G43 in CoD2, but meh).

Also, watch for "drop" delay.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Emu* wrote:Assault rifles have a singleshot mode which might help you (Not quite as nice as the G43 in CoD2, but meh).

Also, watch for "drop" delay.

How do I switch it to single fire?

I played for about 15 mins as basically just a healer, and it kept saying "1 heal point earned"

My new problem, is I was looking at unlocks, and some of them require that expansion, which I have because i bought the deluxe additon. the problem is that every time I go to the website and register mine, the website lags out or is "down".

Thanks for the advise. I am getting a little better and actually got 4 kills in a row last night at one point. I think I like the Titan maps because people are more distracted trying to hold the silos and allowed me to sit back and shoot from far range.

Ixtellor

P.S. I play under the name Ixtellor same as my X-fire tag. ADD me at once and lead me to victory!!

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

I use the numbers across the top of the keyboard to switch weapons:

1: knife
2: pistol/smg
3: rifle/anti-vehicle
4: med box/supplies/"spanner"
5: kit option 1
6: kit option 2
7: 'nades

After selecting the rifle, press 3 again and it will toggle between auto and semi-auto(singleshot), but don't let yourself be surprised whilst stuck in single-shot mode!

Using the numbers also stops you from accidentally scrolling past the weapon you want, and gives you a quick single-tap near the movement keys is you want to knife someone. Worth remapping the "console" key away from the ` key though...

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:17 am UTC

The Baur sounds right up your alley. It's basically the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR... Baur... get it?) for the 22nd century. It fires somewhat slow, and it has a fair bit of recoil, but it hits very hard (for an assault rifle) and is extremely accurate when sighted in and crouched; you can literally use it for countersniping if your aim is on the ball.

To switch between automatic and semiautomatic modes for weapons that support it, you just press your weapon key again when the weapon is selected, and press it again to switch back. Semiautomatic fire is much, much better for ranges greater than about 30-40m. Make sure to lead your targets and aim for the head and throat.

The knife is a one-hit kill, but it's a kinda finnicky weapon, and you're better off using your sidearm or primary weapon to kill someone caught unawares unless you really want their tags. It's best to sprint towards them, crouch, and stab while about 2-3m away. If you're too close, it has a tendency to miss, leaving you very susceptible to getting shot in the face at point blank.

You'll get 1 point for every 50 points of healing you do with your medkit.

Your weapons lineup, as mentioned runs like this:

1 - Knife
2 - Sidearm (Pistols for Recon, Assault, and Support; Submachine Gun for Engineer)
3 - Primary Weapon (Sniper rifles and carbine for Recon; Assault Rifles for Assault; Light Machineguns, Heavy Machinegun, or Shotgun for Support; Anti-Vehicle or Surface-to-Air Missiles for Engineer)
4 - Class-specific gadget (Medkit for Assault; Ammo crate for Support; Repair tool for Engineer)
5 - Primary Item (Defib, Cloaking, Sentry gun, etc)
6 - Secondary Item (AR-Rockets, EMP grenades, RDX, etc)
7 - Frag grenades

Titan maps are definitely better if you're starting out. K:D ratios matter much less on Titan maps, as you're mostly just concerned with bringing down the shields and reactor than anything else. In Conquest/Assault Lines, every single ticket counts, so someone that's running around with a 1:5 K:D is being a real burden to your team; in matches with two equal teams, the winner often wins by less than 10 tickets.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

Titan mode is SOOO much better.

I played on a 64 man titan server and finished in the top 5 on my team every single time.
I averaged about 7 kill and 21 deaths per map.
But got a TON of points for capturing silos.

I found that playing engineer resulted in a lot of points. But that the anti-vehicle weapon is really weak. I shot a hover tank almost point blank , with no misses using all the ammo you get, and it didn't blow up. I loved that he gets an assault rifle as well, because almost all my kills came from that. I mostly got assist points from the anti-vechicle weapon. Since my only solo kill was on a buggy.
Also, is there a better way to shoot the flying vehicles, a way to "lock on" to them?

At the end of my 1 hour session I had 3 unlocks.
So I took Defib, frag grenades (from the northern strike expansion), and the shotgun in assault because that leads to the Baur.
So assuming I play assault, how do you use the shotgun?

Ixtellor

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:07 pm UTC

Tanks are a one-or-two shot kill if you hit them in the vents at the rear: the rest is pretty well armoured. Motion mines are handy too because the driver will see then start hovering and stop his vehicle, making him a nice easy shot.

Locking on only happens with the anti-air gun (SAAW). The basic AT weapons are guidable, but no lock, and the pilum (long thin anti vehicle gun) shoots its projectiles so fast you can do pretty nice shots if you aim predictively.

Pilum in the face is also a funny way to kill infantry, since it'll be an instant kill if you hit.

Herzog (assault shotgun) is selected as an option weapon, same as you select defib.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

Emu* wrote:Locking on only happens with the anti-air gun (SAAW). The basic AT weapons are guidable, but no lock, and the pilum (long thin anti vehicle gun) shoots its projectiles so fast you can do pretty nice shots if you aim predictively.

Thanks.

How do you guide them? I noticed when I fire, they shoot fairly straight then start to go up. Am I making them do that? Can you steer the projectiles?

Also I noticed 2 different types, which I assume is based on PAC vs EAU forces.
One shoots a group of 4 projectiles and the other shoots a single projectile.

Ixtellor

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

Fuck me, this game is hard.

I single shot some sniper 12 times, and he didn't die. All hits because I saw it turn white.

When I see people they insta kill me.

When I shoot vehicles they laugh, when people shoot me in a a hover tank it seems like it takes 1 hit.

I am basically a glorified medic and mechanic who holds a BB gun.

That Baur better actually do some damage or I am going to be soo mad.

My only joy, besides caputuring silos and healing people, is I got 2 super far headshots with a Recon sniper rifle.

Ixtellor

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

Some players, particularly clanmod league players, prefer to use the Krylov or even the SCAR rather than the baur/voss because even though the RoF is lower and the recoil greater, they do plenty of damage per shot.

Getting good with the base weapons also means when you're out of ammo you can pick up any kit and still play effectively. Sometimes the master server plays up too leaving you without any unlocks for a round.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

1) I hooked up with my old gaming group "Clan Bloodlust". My buddy leads the entire nations in kills of the 'helicopters' (forget name) with tanks.

2) Baur sucks. I thought it was going to actually do some serious damage. I put it on single shot and it took 120938320 hits too kill a sniper. (It tunred white every time so I know I hit him)

I started a new account and am spamming to the Voss hoping it actually hurts people.

Game is frustrating as hell, because it seems like I always pick the wrong kit. (I go assault and find people in tanks, I go engineer and find people sniping)

Ixtellor

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

I just got back into this game. I'm currently playing more or less alone except for with a buddy of mine. Any suggestions?

Also, Ixtellor, the trick is to run in a squad full of people that each use a different kit. I'm an Assault medic, get somebody with anti-vehicle weaponry, a sniper, and a support guy, and you'll be good to go like you would not believe.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:I just got back into this game. I'm currently playing more or less alone except for with a buddy of mine. Any suggestions?

Also, Ixtellor, the trick is to run in a squad full of people that each use a different kit. I'm an Assault medic, get somebody with anti-vehicle weaponry, a sniper, and a support guy, and you'll be good to go like you would not believe.

I stopped playing after getting about 20ish upgrades.

Way too many people hack at that game and I hate the "physics" in that you can be close to a person and still have to lead them. Too many lame glitches and crap make the game unbearable sometimes. Including RDX hopping and mining the titan shields.

I'm taking a break from shooters aside from some CoD4 now and then.

Ixtellor

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

You need practical players though; there's little point being an assault specialist in a silo-centric round, whereas in one where the shields go down fast, specialist engineers are only good if they enjoy inflicting the shame of "pilum to the face", with a support guy to resupply the meagre 5 shot allowance.

I've given up on 2142 pretty much until I at least reinstall everything, mostly due to QuakeLive being more enjoyable in the brief burst my current business allows.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:27 pm UTC

Best. Round. Ever.

So I join a random game, in Titan mode. It ends pretty soon after I join, and a new round starts. I apply to commander of the EU team and get accepted.

The game starts going full-swing, and my side is losing pretty bad. Our shield is down when theirs is at 75% still. Eventually people start to join squads, though, and we start making a comeback. We end up with both titans at half hull with both reactor rooms breached. My side puts up a fierce defense of our reactor, and I join in as a medic to revive dead people, but still spend most of my time prone behind a wall with the commander screen open. I end up with four squads - 1 and 2 were decent sized squads, 3 was a 2-man team, and 4 was a solo gunship pilot.

I order squad 1 to run around capturing silos. Squad 2 gets sent to attack their titan. Squad 3 defends our titan's reactor core with machine guns, gun turrets, and my occasional help. Squad 4 flies around wrecking vehicles both air and land, and does a DAMN fine job of it.

It comes down to each titan having only one missile's damage worth of health left. One missile either way means victory for the team that fired it. The game could literally not be ANY closer.
Squad 1 captures a silo.
The missile fires.
I wait. And wait. And wait. And then...
I hear the voice say, "Enemy titan destroyed."
Victory has been snatched from the jaws of defeat!

I come in first place with 95 points (don't ask how (x * 2) = 95, I don't know either). I had to stop playing because it was such a high note.

This is what happens when squads actually listen to the commander. You can come back from almost certain defeat. This is what makes BF2 and BF2142 the best FPS games ever.

-X

Return to “Gaming”