I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Shai

I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Shai » Thu May 08, 2008 5:42 am UTC

I'm getting a new computer very soon (waiting for it to come in) and it's my first modern gaming-competent computer. If interested, link. Anyway, I'm thinking of turning to the PC for single-player gaming, and leaving my Wii for multi-player. I have my Wii for super-fun game-play, I want to see some amazing graphics on the PC. I like racing games, and GRID looks sweet. Otherwise, can you guys recommend me anything? Theme is eye candy! Thanks!!!

This is now a thread about you, the poster, wanting to play new stuff but not having a clue what's good, so you ask us for suggestions. Be as helpful as possible - tell us what you like, what you don't like, what gaming systems you have, how many board game/Pen&Paper Roleplaying people you know, that sort of thing.

If you are not actually answering someone's request for a recommendation, use this thread to give your game recommendation. Failure to do so means I will make this face. :cry:

Oh, and for the record - as we do have bots who stick their head in here from time to time, or people who can't be bothered to actually pay attention, if I see posts that are not clearly responding to someone - either by quoting the post they're replying to or continuing the flow of the immediate conversation - I'm just going to delete them from this thread. It's annoying to see someone responding to a post from two years ago without any context at all. So knock it off.
- ST
I blame lag.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Re: New to PC Gaming

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu May 08, 2008 7:05 am UTC

Company of Heroes. The prettiest (and most enjoyable) RTS I've seen. I totally suck at it, but blowing shit up is fun nonetheless.

Obviously Crysis is king of eye candy, being many, many miles ahead of anything else, but chances are you're not buying a computer that can really take advantage of it. And if the only console you own is a Wii, then it's time to catch up on all the PS3/360/PC multiplat blockbusters you've been missing out on.

Edit: Just saw you included a link, Jesus fuck that's an expensive rig. Probably should have bought it from some custom place, but if you've already paid then whatever. What videocard does it come with? You might be able to get your Crysis on after all.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Thu May 08, 2008 8:40 am UTC

I can't personally recommend something since my computer isn't nearly that powerful and most of my games are more gritty than pretty. However, I can direct you to the high-def videos at GameTrailers.com. You could look through there to see if there's anything you like.

There's also the top rated pc games on GameSpot, you could use that to filter down to the best looking games in your genre of choice.

Hope that helps.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Thu May 08, 2008 11:55 am UTC

Even if just the demo, you have to try Crysis.

Other than that racing is not my thing so I can't recommend you anything. Anything else you enjoy ?

I'm personally waiting for Mass Effect at the end of the month.
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu May 08, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:What videocard does it come with?

The page he linked doesn't say the graphics card, but I saw a similar computer (Less storage space and no Blu-Ray though) for the same price somewhere else, it came with an 8500. (Or maybe it was an 8600, I'm not sure). I wouldn't get my hopes up on it being great for eye candy gaming.

First thing you're going to want to do when you get the computer is install a fresh copy of Windows on it though, HP is really awful about flooding your computer with so much crap that reinstalling Windows is quicker than uninstalling everything they put on it.

Shai

Postby Shai » Thu May 08, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:Edit: Just saw you included a link, Jesus fuck that's an expensive rig. Probably should have bought it from some custom place, but if you've already paid then whatever. What videocard does it come with? You might be able to get your Crysis on after all.

The reason I picked this particular machine at the source is because I was able to finance it with zero interest and payments for a year. If I had the cash, I could have custom-made this machine for a few hundred less. Instead, I get a little ripped off, but with no interest, it sorta evens out. Sorta. The graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT. CNET has specs, but I've seen slightly different versions of what ports come with the card on different sites, so that's probably not 100% accurate.

Fearbears?! wrote:And if the only console you own is a Wii, then it's time to catch up on all the PS3/360/PC multiplat blockbusters you've been missing out on.

Well, I have a PS2, the Wii is my only next-gen system.

Edawan wrote:Anything else you enjoy ?

I actually really enjoyed Morrowind, and know Oblivian is the next iteration. I liked Morrowind more for the open-sandbox nature, ultimately never ended up finishing the main quest. Is Oblivian similar (as in, is it as open-ended)?

Crysis looks alright, I'll probably try the demo.

Company of Heroes is iffy for me, since I've never been a huge fan of army-based first person shooters. I figure if I'm going to save the world, I'd prefer to do it from aliens, ha. I know, I'm weird.

Mass Effect looks alright. Hmmm. Can't get everything, though. I think I may have to peruse through GameTrailers.com and GameSpot. Thanks for the input!!
I blame lag.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Thu May 08, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

For a pre-built rig, he didn't pay too much for it, thats a reasonable price for such a good machine.

Supreme commander is a good one if you like RTS games, extremely pretty, coupled with good gameplay (but high system requirements, which you have).

Try Avencast: Rise of the mage if you like diablo-clones, it also has good gameplay, and is sufficiently eye-candy heavy (much more so than most of the diablo-clone genre).

Mass effect is coming to the PC soon

Assassin's Creed just game to the PC, though it gets a bit repetitive, it does look pretty.

Sadly, racing games tend not to show up on the PC much, they're usually console games. There are a few though, but I can't think of them at the moment. Amazon.com is a good place to look for new games though.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Thu May 08, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Fearbears?! wrote:What videocard does it come with?

The page he linked doesn't say the graphics card, but I saw a similar computer (Less storage space and no Blu-Ray though) for the same price somewhere else, it came with an 8500. (Or maybe it was an 8600, I'm not sure). I wouldn't get my hopes up on it being great for eye candy gaming.

First thing you're going to want to do when you get the computer is install a fresh copy of Windows on it though, HP is really awful about flooding your computer with so much crap that reinstalling Windows is quicker than uninstalling everything they put on it.

I googled it and found the same box on circuit city. It says 8600 GT. Not bad.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=209676

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu May 08, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

Shai wrote:I actually really enjoyed Morrowind, and know Oblivion is the next iteration. I liked Morrowind more for the open-sandbox nature, ultimately never ended up finishing the main quest. Is Oblivion similar (as in, is it as open-ended)?
Oblivion's main quest is just as optional as Morrowind's, the introductory bit to the game is slightly longer (a small dungeon to get through rather than just stepping off the boat and going through a couple of doors). There's plenty more info in the relevant thread (though there may possibly be some spoilers).
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

I suggest the Orange Box. If anyone can come up with a reason not to buy it, I'll be surprised.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu May 08, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Half Life 1 and 2, and Episode 1 and 2.

Amazing game and a great way to start out FPSing, and the 8600 should be able to handle it well (It better, I have one)

Other than that, Bioshock. Great visuals and atmosphere make for a great game.

(Edit: Doh! Ninja'd! Although getting HL1 as well is highly recomended with the Orange Box.)

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu May 08, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

Shai wrote:Company of Heroes is iffy for me, since I've never been a huge fan of army-based first person shooters.

Except the whole it's not a first person shooter part.

Also, Racing Games: DiRT (Never played it, but I know it's on PC :P), Trackmania (Nations is free)(Not your ordinary racing game).

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Thu May 08, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

Here is a comprehensive forum post that has basically every good game that has or will come out this year:

Reasons why it's worth to be a PCgamer in 2008
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

HeroicFail

Postby HeroicFail » Fri May 09, 2008 12:10 am UTC

If you're into racing games, then I'd recommend that you get a Steam account and download Trackmania Nations Forever for free.

I'd also suggest the Orange Box (TF2 is very addicting to play).

Battlefield Heroes is coming out this summer for free, and (hopefully) BF3 should come out within the next year.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri May 09, 2008 12:40 am UTC

Teh Russians wrote:Here is a comprehensive forum post that has basically every good game that has or will come out this year:

Reasons why it's worth to be a PCgamer in 2008

An MMO and an FPS section with no mention of Twilight War? BLASPHEMY!

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Fri May 09, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

EA just annonced that Burnout Paradise will be ported to the PC.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/09/ea-cr ... se-to-pcs/
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

niteice

Postby niteice » Sun May 11, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Aleril wrote:(Edit: Doh! Ninja'd! Although getting HL1 as well is highly recomended with the Orange Box.)

Yeah, HL2 will make no sense without having played HL1 first.
GENERATION 4294967292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum, negate the generation, and convert it to a 32-bit unsigned integer. Social experiment.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sun May 11, 2008 3:40 am UTC

Or you could just get up to speed with this handy video. (Warning: contains Half Life 2 in the second half.)

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun May 11, 2008 5:07 am UTC

niteice wrote:
Aleril wrote:(Edit: Doh! Ninja'd! Although getting HL1 as well is highly recomended with the Orange Box.)

Actually it barely makes any sense regardless at first, but playing HL1 will give you a better understanding of the events that happened far before HL2. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's necessary, though.
ImageImageImage

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun May 11, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:
niteice wrote:

Actually it barely makes any sense regardless at first, but playing HL1 will give you a better understanding of the events that happened far before HL2. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's necessary, though.

No, and reading the Wikipedia article is more than enough to get you up to speed.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun May 11, 2008 7:14 am UTC

And don't forget that Half Life 1, while dated, still kicks massive amounts of ass.

Sarr

Recommend ME a game (Renamed:Help a depraved gamer!)

Postby Sarr » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:30 am UTC

I have within the last year or so, quit WoW. It, while I played it, dominated my video gaming in a big way. So my request is this. What are some good PC games that you all think I should give a try over the summer?

My rig is, admittedly, old as hell. 'Bout the newest game I run on it is Half Life 2. which runs alright, or Oblivion, which runs shittily.

Mainly I'm looking for Action/Adventure or RPGs (not JRPGS) although the occasional shooter isn't bad. So guys, whaddya say? Can you help?
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Help A Deprived Gamer?

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:07 am UTC

Nethack
Dwarf Fortress
Digging through the Games that Aged Well thread..
Fallout 1 & 2
Balder's Gate 1 & 2
Arcanum
Planescape: Torment
Ultima 7
Ultima 7 Part 2

In the "They're First Person Shooters that are also Roleplaying Games" category...
Deus Ex
System Shock
System Shock 2

More actiony
Tachyon: The Fringe
Aliens Vs. Predator 2
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:08 am UTC

I'd second Nethack, if you thought WoW was addicting, you have a whole other world comming at you.
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (Uses the HL2 engine or something like, so I guess it'd run)
Arx Fatalis (Spiritual successor to the Ultima Underworld games which I'd say are also well worth playing)
Morrowind (if Oblivion runs shitty, Morrowind might run better)
Beyond Good and Evil (is about the only Action / Adventure game for the PC I can think of right now, although I've never played it)
Thief: the Dark Project (and the sequel The Metal Age and the fan campaign T2X)

NetHack. God yes.

ST, that list looks almost exactly like the list of games I'm planning to play these holidays. Freaky.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Eve Online
Morrowind
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:30 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Nethack
Dwarf Fortress
[url=http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9870&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=old+games]
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2

In the same vein, Icewindale 1 & 2.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

espire

Postby espire » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:56 am UTC

Morrowind is much more forgiving than Oblivion when it comes to graphics.

Uplink is a pretty cool hacking (read:cracking) simulation from the future.

Nethack is great.
DANGER! RAPTORS! IT'S SAFE HERE

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:57 am UTC

JayDee wrote:ST, that list looks almost exactly like the list of games I'm planning to play these holidays. Freaky.

That's because you have taste.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:06 am UTC

I second Uplink. It was awesome, if somewhat short compared to my prefered game length (weeks).
I also second the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and especially Planescape Torment).
Hell, I second everything. I've got lots of great stories and epic moments playing all of these games.

Dwarf Fortress could prove a little harsh on a slow computer on default settings, but it's fixable.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

HighCharity

Recommend ME a game (Merged:A ton of similar threads)

Postby HighCharity » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Okay, here's the deal: I have 60 dollars to spend on video games and I've pretty much narrowed it down to three choices ( though I am open to suggestions):

Rainbow Six Vegas + Gears of War

Call of Duty 4

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

The obvious choice would seem to be R6V1 and GoW, but... I dunno

Note: I rented GTA4 and didn't like it too much, please don't reccomend it.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

Cryopyre

Re: Help me!

Postby Cryopyre » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:14 am UTC

Civilization 4

Scratch that, one full year of RuneScape.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:18 am UTC

Cryopyre wrote:Scratch that, one full year of RuneScape.

[/size]
Ummm....I already did that...
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:44 am UTC

Fucking Mass Effect.

You can fuck in it, too, what with it being an online rape simulator.

Drown less!

I'm assuming this is for the 360.
Max Slowik

Crescent

Postby Crescent » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:27 am UTC

If you haven't played any of those games I'd go for the first option, although CoD 4 is awesome and if you're into multiplayer it might last you a long time. Vegas has multiplayer too, but it just isn't as good as CoD 4.
Look, look! I'm a rocket

HiFiFoci

Postby HiFiFoci » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:48 am UTC

gears is fun, but multiplayer lags. FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRR

no joke it just sucks. But on lan it's awesome.

CoD4 will never get boring, though. EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr
How do i carry the weight of the world? I shrug.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:54 am UTC

Eventually CoD4 gets boring. I can only deathmatch with no objective for so long. I like to have a goal other than 750 points, take no prisoners comrades.

I second Mass Effect.

Sarr

Re: Help A Deprived Gamer? [To find games they will like]

Postby Sarr » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

Balder's Gate 2
System Shock 2
Fallout 1
Morrowind
Icewindale 2

I do have these,although I haven't beaten most of them. I'll see if I can find them.

Other than that, thanks a bunch guys.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Crescent

Re: Help A Deprived Gamer? [To find games they will like]

Postby Crescent » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

KotOR 1 and 2, although 1 is better than 2 in my opinion they're both still great RPG's

If you're into RTS's at all you should try sins of a solar empire.

Psychonauts is also nice, sorta platformer/adventure type game I think it's even available on steam.

Hmm, and Jade empire too, another good RPG.
Last edited by Crescent on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Look, look! I'm a rocket

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Planescape: Torment

This. More so than anything else listed. However, if you dislike downloading games, this could be a problem. I've only seen a single copy of it(mine) in the last six years.

Also,

American McGee's Alice
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic [The requirements are similar to Oblivions, though.]
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. [I find myself returning to it every so often. If I recall correctly, the last ladder reset happened sometime in the last year.
Morrowind

Return to “Gaming”