I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jar'O'Jam

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

How about Commandos, Heroes of Might and Magic and Jagged Alliance 2 ?
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

Black and white 2 is pretty fun mix of city building and fighting. You even get to be a god and control a demi-god pet. Not really a rpg but still good fun.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

Jar'O'Jam wrote:How about Commandos, Heroes of Might and Magic and Jagged Alliance 2 ?

Already have Commandos and HM&M. MIght have to check out JA2.

broken_escalator wrote:Black and white 2 is pretty fun mix of city building and fighting. You even get to be a god and control a demi-god pet. Not really a rpg but still good fun.

I think I already have this. That or the first one. Either way, didn't really wow me. I bought a 5 pack of strategy games at Best Buy, and ended up not liking most of them. It had I think B&W 1 or 2, two command and conquer games, and two others I can't recall. They pretty much all got a big 'meh'.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

I am a fairly new Linux user and am wondering about turn based strategy games for linux as a couple of the people in my dorm have Civilization V and I was wondering what good recommendations for similar games you have. Also, they don't have to be linux as I dual-boot windows 7 so they pretty much just have to be free (money wise, ability to look at source would be nice, but not as important to me as I can't comprehend it well yet).
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

For linux doing turn based strategy, you can't go wrong with "Battle for Wesnoth"
http://www.wesnoth.org/

Patch

Postby Patch » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

@Meem1029: Civ 5 works well under Wine, so you could probably play that on Linux, depending on budget and/or computer specs. Battle for Wesnoth is very well known, well regarded, and well supported. You might also check out freeciv and freecol, which are Civilization and Colonization clones.

I have my own request for a game recommendation: I'm looking for something that is relaxing enough to unwind to, without being so brainless that I fall into a zombie gamer state. Currently Costume Quest is filling this role pretty much perfectly -- I'm looking for more like it, for after I finish it.

Here's why Costume Quest works:
1) The writing and art direction are top notch (nothing is worse than another story about a space marine set in a photo-realistically dreary world -- I like my graphics to pop, and the writing to be tight and witty).
2) It avoids gender and racial stereotypes (or at least allows you to pick the main character's appearance and gender).
3) The biggie: the action is turned based, which means that there is time to think and work out combos, but each attack or dodge gets better if you pass a reflexes test, which means that you have to be paying attention and actively playing, rather than falling into a glazed state where you just mash the attack button while the hours tick by.
4) The price of failure is light: failing at combat means you just need to redo the combat; there aren't any points where you're playing the same damn level for the 99th time because you keep dying at the very end of it.

I enjoy the hell out of hard games when I want them, and the occasional mindless match 3 game has its place, but the sweet spot is in a game that allows me to relax after work, while giving my mind enough of a workout to keep me feeling human. Any others like this?

~ Patch

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

Caldeh54 wrote:I'm looking for a 'new' console JRPG to play on my PS2 and Wii. I'm a fan of most every kind of RPG, Final Fantasy, Disgaea, Fire Emblem, Star Ocean, Persona, Tales, etc. Do any of you have a good recommendation for a good RPG?

Rogue Galaxy was mentioned, and Level-5's previous game, Dark Cloud 2 is also very good (the first not so much and you don't need it for story).
Patch wrote:I enjoy the hell out of hard games when I want them, and the occasional mindless match 3 game has its place, but the sweet spot is in a game that allows me to relax after work, while giving my mind enough of a workout to keep me feeling human. Any others like this?

As long as there's some challenge, I'm pretty happy. Mind-numbingly difficult games don't really see a whole lot of play no matter how much I like or want to like them.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

Patch wrote:I enjoy the hell out of hard games when I want them, and the occasional mindless match 3 game has its place, but the sweet spot is in a game that allows me to relax after work, while giving my mind enough of a workout to keep me feeling human. Any others like this?

~ Patch

Hmmm...what consoles do you have, and do you have a budget for the game?
I might know a few depending on your answers.
Signatures are for chumps.

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

Alright is there a game that is:

RPG
Story driven
with Turn Based Combat

which isn't a JRPG?

(don't give me the classics like baldur's gate played with autopause, or fallout)
"Luther...I think I've contracted left-handedness..."
- Mister Sloordge, Balderduck

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

Check out King's Bounty : The Legend* and subsequent expansions/sequels (Crosswords, Armored Princess)

*Link is to a demo on Filefront, thought I bet you can find it elsewhere if Filefront isn't your bag.

$35 for the set on Steam if you dig it.

Wikipedia, Metacritic score - 79

All that being said, I'm not quite sure how story driven it is. There's a framework of a story there, from what I've played, but I haven't gone all in with it yet.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

I'm afraid I'm just stating the obvious, but what about Fallout 1/2?

Also, the Might and Magic series, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, the Eschalon series...
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:10 am UTC

Naurgul wrote:I'm afraid I'm just stating the obvious, but what about Fallout 1/2?
This part.
(don't give me the classics like baldur's gate played with autopause, or fallout)

Though your Might and Magics would work. Arcanum, not so much as it does the same kinda trickery that Baldur's Gate does, only moreso in that fighting out of turns is... really hard. The other two I'm not familiar with.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 am UTC

Thanks I will look into those!

Yeah I've played the fallouts of course, but not tactics...is it any good?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

balderduck wrote:Alright is there a game that is:

RPG
Story driven
with Turn Based Combat

which isn't a JRPG?
Ah, but how do you define a JRPG? SepterraCore (available at GOG.com) and Anachronox are definitely not Japanese, but there are many who would categorize them as JRPGs anyway, since they are story driven and have turn-based combat.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

Shouldn't one want RPGs that are turn based and story driven and good rather than just not JRPGs?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

Isn't that the same thing?

ZING!

Ha ha! Seriously though, Gelsamel does have a point.

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

Well, out of curiosity for one, since western RPGs don't usualy have turn based combat.

And because JRPG storylines aren't usualy to my tastes...

Don't get me wrong. FF VII and Valkyria chronicles are two of my favourite games...

Will check out anachronox and Septeracore anyway...

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:28 am UTC

Well, there is the old gold box AD&D computer games. Uses positional turn based combat based on adnd rules. storylines are ok, but involve an external journal to really follow. I had a set of 9 of them, and they sort of flow on from each other.

Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azhure Bonds
???(Forget the name)
Pools of Darkness

Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Champions of Krynn
The Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:02 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Naurgul wrote:I'm afraid I'm just stating the obvious, but what about Fallout 1/2?
This part.

Though your Might and Magics would work. Arcanum, not so much as it does the same kinda trickery that Baldur's Gate does, only moreso in that fighting out of turns is... really hard. The other two I'm not familiar with.

Temporary selective vision. Look it up. :wink:
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

I want to do an experiment with some friends. We want to set a basic time with a specific car on a specific track. Record the time it took us. Then we all drink 1-2 beers and do the track again. Record the time again. Repeat ad nauseam, work out the data the next day.

Therefore I want a racegame with not to much difference between repeated races, ready to race after install. So preferably on tracks, no free roaming, no traffic, no special items that influence outcomes (like in Blur or Mario Kart), no pimp-my-ride-bullshit. And preferably a good looking game. Anyone have any suggestions?

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

It's true that I'd still suggest this if you were looking for any other sort of game, but Trackmania meets all of those criteria perfectly. Tracks range from about 10 seconds to 10 minutes and it's completely deterministic to the point that you can end up with tracks like this. Better still, Trackmania Nations Forever is free on Steam.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote: Better still, Trackmania Nations Forever is free on Steam.
Thanks!
Didn't know that!
Signatures are for chumps.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:30 am UTC

I bought Fallout 3 for $20, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for $38. Looking for a couple older action games for the 360 that I can pick up for around $20. I have GTAIV, the mass effect games, the Halo games and enjoyed them all for the most part. I'm not actually sure if I will like Fallout 3, but I liked STALKER and mass effect, so I think it's worth a go.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:11 am UTC

Thesh, I hope you've played Half-Life 2? And what about the Gears of War series? I find gears of war and gears of war 2 are best played back to back straight through without breaks.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

yeah, those are good suggestions.
Or you could look up red faction:guerilla ? it's not in any way stealthy, since almost everything you do causes massive explosions, and the guard people can hear a pin drop. But on the other hand, ALMOST EVERYTHING YOU DO CAUSES EXPLOSIONS. I have not had so much fun in a long time, as scything through a building or two with a walker.

other sugestions:crysis, dead space and bioshock. alternatively you could probably find a replay copy of red dead redemption for <$20. but that would be adventure, not action.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

Yeah, Red Faction: Gorilla wasn't what I expected - it has almost nothing in common with the original Red Faction game - but once you accept that it's not a shooter and is instead a sort of futuristic GTA with collapsible buildings, you can start to really enjoy it.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:35 pm UTC

I um, stacked up those explosive barrels inside one of those yellow dump trucks once. Loaded it up with a moab and remote mines, it um, wiped out a horrendous portion of the EDF's stuff, because the green barrels didn't explode for half a second, so were blown across the map quite far. It took a ridiculously long time to set up though.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

Halleck wrote:Thesh, I hope you've played Half-Life 2? And what about the Gears of War series? I find gears of war and gears of war 2 are best played back to back straight through without breaks.

Yeah, I've played Half-Life 2. Gears of War I played part of, then got hit by a bug which caused me to get all of my weapons reset to default upon loading a save game and all of the enemies weapons that were on the ground disappeared. I haven't played it since then, as even up to that point I had never really gotten into it.

I have played and enjoyed Bioshock 1 and 2. I'll keep an eye out for when Red Dead Redemption drops in price, and I will definitely give Red Faction Guerrilla a go.

Thanks all.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:00 am UTC

Alright is there a game that is:

RPG
Story driven
with Turn Based Combat

which isn't a JRPG?

I love the Avernum series by Spiderweb Software. Has all of the 3 above things, at the expense of your flashy "next-gen" graphics. Good sized demos available too.

ICEE

Postby ICEE » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:23 am UTC

I just re-played bioshock 1 and bioshock 2. I need more...! Anyone have any suggestions for comparable single-player games?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Comparable Story and Audio File Immersion? System Shock 1/2, so long as you don't mind old games. Combination of Guns and "Magic"? Try Clive Barker's Undying (again, if you're fine with older games) or possibly Dark Messiah : Might and Magic. If you mean something else, then you may need to be a bit more specific.

ICEE

Postby ICEE » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:49 am UTC

oh, I meant a game with an indepth single player mode. What I love about bioshock is the powerful plot and well defined characters, as well as the slower paced but still action packed gameplay. I get so tired of twitchy, story devoid games like call of duty..

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

So, the System Shock Twins or Deus Ex... or Clive Barker's Undying, if you like the horror genre, though that one's fairly light compared to the rest of them, as there's not too much character development in comparison.

But.. yeah, how are you with old games? System Shock is sprite based.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

I think you mean awesome based.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

Awesomeness rolls in 800x600 resolution.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

Hey, 1280x1024 resolution. (System Shock shipped with up to 1280x1024, but it was disabled because because the home computers of the time couldn't handle it. linky?)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

Well, shitfire! Imma blow up Citadel Station when I get home!

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

I think it's the controls that data SS1 more than the graphics, though. Of course, people have found ways to hack in mouselook and key mapping, if that's your thing.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:13 am UTC

And of course there are texture and model mods, such as Rebirth and SHTUP for SS2.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

I don't have really great hopes for this, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see:

I'm wondering if there are any games my sister would enjoy playing on the XBox 360. She likes slow-paced simulation, role-playing and strategy games, and doesn't like any games where there is constant real-time action (so pretty much any FPS-style games are out) or graphic violence: her favourite games on PC are/were Civ2, The Sims (and sequels), Neverwinter Nights, Rollercoaster Tycoon and HoMM3; she'd probably like some other stuff too, but her choice of games was in large part limited by those I own. She's over 18, so age ratings aren't a concern... but doesn't own a PC any more, and the selection of simulation, TBS and live-pause-capable (ala NWN) games on the 360 is, from my experience, pretty much non-existant.

The only things I've thought of so far are the console version of The Sims and Dragon Age 2 (once it comes out, with the gore turned off). Anyone have any thoughts on those and/or other good ideas? It doesn't necessarily need to be new and shiny, just a game which is half-decent and not all BLAM BLAM RARGH FAST ACTION.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess nothing that requires XBox Live, because they don't have the 360 connected to the net.

Return to “Gaming”