I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby emceng » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:I bought Fallout 3 for $20, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for $38. Looking for a couple older action games for the 360 that I can pick up for around $20. I have GTAIV, the mass effect games, the Halo games and enjoyed them all for the most part. I'm not actually sure if I will like Fallout 3, but I liked STALKER and mass effect, so I think it's worth a go.



I would recommend Saints Row 1 + 2. They are GTA clones but in my mind they are much, much better. Combat is much easier and more fun. It has a story, but less serious and more humorous. Overall just fun to play. Saints Row 2 even has co-op(Xboxlive) play, which can be tons of fun. You might also try Dragon Age if you haven't already.


Adacore: Have you checked out Civ:Revolutions? It's decent. Not nearly as in depth as normal Civ games, but it is fun to play for the most part.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

I can't speak for Saint's Row 1, but 2 is... well, if you've followed the GTA series in their move to the 3D world (GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, 4, etc) you know that the 3 series started moderately realistic and started ramping up into wackier and wackier stuff (Jetpacks? In MY GTA?) with roleplaying elements (because seriously, San Andreas had a lot more roleplaying depth and stat building than most RPGs. The fuck's up with that?) before crashing back into Serious Von Serioustown in 4.

Saint's Row 2 says "San Andreas, you didn't go too far too enough far enough farness!... yeah!" and then sets itself on fire, jumps out a window and shoots someone in the face. Because. It's not a smart game* in that you play an violent idiot who surrounds yourself with violent idiots, and you're all hilarious and violent. Except for one mission in the Brotherhood line. That one was serious. Possibly others, as I've yet to play through them. But yeah, it's a violent world that fully embraces that it's a violent horrible place, and because of that it becomes a fun violent world, only a half-step away from a Loony Tunes cartoon, if Loony Tunes involved decapitations and drug use.

*Well, it's a stupid game written by smart people? Something like that. Example being, your sidekick Pierce suggests this huge, elaborate plan (Complete with a model and little figurines) for taking the cash from a casino similar to the Oceans 1X movies or the Casino Heist in GTA:SA. Your main pal Johnny says "We could do that.... Orrrr... we could just walk in and shoot everyone, then take the money." to which you reply something like "I like that. Good plan, Pierce!" and you set out to enact Johnny's plan. Stupid, thuggish hilarious people.

Also, the Voice Acting credits are basically a list of "Hey! It's that voice!" Micheal Dorn (You know, Worf, Marucs, etc) is in it as the leader of the Brotherhood, Neil Patrick Harris voices a drug dealing DJ, Eliza Dushku voices a sidekick who keeps stealing another sidekick's ideas, Phil LaMarr's in it, but he's in fucking everything so that barely even counts anymore... hell, you can have [url=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0789478/Maxwell Sheffield[/url] voice your character, if you want.

Anyway, yeah, it's a great game if you like the Sandbox GTA style of gaming. I also completely dig the character creation. The gender assignments are suggestions, basically. You can put whatever voice to whatever you want, and make your avatar look just about like whatever you'd want, both physically and via clothing. And as near as I can tell, no one remarks on your appearance as being unusual. The over-the-top violence, yes, but not your appearance. (Then again, maybe they're all terrified of you? That was a suggestion put forth as to why enemy gangs don't attack you on sight : they know your rep and the underlings are terrified at being blamed for starting a huge gang war for no reason)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

archeleus
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:49 pm UTC
Location: Valenvaryon
Contact:

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby archeleus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

Can someone recommend a good game with a multiplayer co-op mode?

Requirements: Good graphics (atleast support for full HD). Not a retarded story, Anything except RPG's.

Games like Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 would be awesome if we could get a friend and play through the missions together on the LAN.

inb4 l4d
I write a blog rant here.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:45 am UTC

Someone is bound to mention Portal 2, which won't be out for a few months yet, so let's not go there.

It seems one of the big plusses for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Life is that it is quite amusing in co-op.

User avatar
llamanaru
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby llamanaru » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:02 am UTC

For computer:
ARMA 2 has great co-op, and the story's not vomit inducing.
Killing Floor also has good co-op, unless you count no story as "retarded".
For consoles:
Really the only one I know of is Army of Two, it's built around co-op, and the AI is worthless enough to make playing with a partner worthwhile. I don't remember the story though.

theknownuniverse
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:11 pm UTC
Location: An underground bunker somewhere is Eastern Europe

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby theknownuniverse » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

I recently acquired a PS3. It came with the standard entourage of FPS's (COD, BC2), so I think that genre has been saturated for now. I'm considering getting Super Street Fighter 4, as it seems that will get me the most bang for my buck, due to its lower-than-average price. However, my fighting games experience is limited to super smash brothers, and I know that street fighter is a very different game. I've also been considering Little big planet and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Any suggestions?

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

theknownuniverse wrote:I recently acquired a PS3. It came with the standard entourage of FPS's (COD, BC2), so I think that genre has been saturated for now. I'm considering getting Super Street Fighter 4, as it seems that will get me the most bang for my buck, due to its lower-than-average price. However, my fighting games experience is limited to super smash brothers, and I know that street fighter is a very different game. I've also been considering Little big planet and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Any suggestions?

Can you be more specific to your tastes? Valkyria Chronicles is an awesome game, but if you hate turn-based wargaming with Overwatch Rules and Cel-Shaded Anime Graphics, you'll... probably really hate it.

Anyway, Little Big Planet is distilled Platformer Joy. If you like platforming games, get it. If you don't, skip it. Batman is a neat little brawler with some obsessive compulsive collection bits in it too, but if you hate 3D Brawlers, you'll.. probably hate it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

White knight chronicles is another game I'd recommend if you like JRPGs. Its gotten mixed reviews but I'd say its probably averaged at 7/10 arbitrary points.

Little big planet is always a good choice in my opinion. Its got great appeal to a wide audience, so if you have friends over that aren't 'gamers' they can still have a good time. At least, that's been my experience with the game. We like to call it a girlfriend-game because typically our girlfriends shy away from an FPS or RPG, but they really enjoy a silly platformer.

User avatar
novax6
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:06 am UTC
Location: CA

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby novax6 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

theknownuniverse wrote:I recently acquired a PS3. It came with the standard entourage of FPS's (COD, BC2), so I think that genre has been saturated for now. I'm considering getting Super Street Fighter 4, as it seems that will get me the most bang for my buck, due to its lower-than-average price. However, my fighting games experience is limited to super smash brothers, and I know that street fighter is a very different game. I've also been considering Little big planet and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Any suggestions?


Not really a big fan of fighting games personally, so no help there, but I think Uncharted 2 and Demon Souls are the best ps3 exclusives by far. Batman: AA is also top notch and should be immediately played if you haven't done so before.

From what I've heard of Little Big Planet, it's pretty boring once the novelty and new-ness of it wears off. That seems about right from the little I played. A technically impressive game, but the actual gameplay was very shallow. Maybe worth it if you want a game to show people and play with groups.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

Oddly enough I just decided to buy a PS3 as well today.

Anyone have good racing game reccomendations for the PS3? My lady says she loves racing games but I've never really been into that genre personally. Preferably a racing game we can play together. I know I've played a few in the past with a friend where we do tournaments and are a team. I also liked burnout games, the crashing part was obviously my favorite :D

User avatar
llamanaru
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby llamanaru » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Gran Turismo 5 is the god of all console racing games. Especially if you have a wheel. GriD is good too, though it's not as realistic as Gran Turismo.

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Shivahn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

So, I would like more games of genre: Mount and Blade/Lugaru HD. Ones where you take a third-person view and use the mouse to move the view angle and the keyboard to move around, while left clicking and moving various directions/crouching/doing something else to alter your attack for the situation.

I'm having trouble describing it, but if you've played something like it I think you'll get the description.

I have Lugaru HD and both Mount and Blade and Mount and Blade: Warband (though I can't play them because WINE is stupid about the way it handles the mouse sometimes).

Does anyone have any recommendations for games like those?

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:17 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:I have Lugaru HD and both Mount and Blade and Mount and Blade: Warband (though I can't play them because WINE is stupid about the way it handles the mouse sometimes).
I thought Lugaru, at least, had a Linux port at this point - didn't it go open source like the other items in the Humble Indie Bundle #1?

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, so I'm semi-randomly going to fall down on Oni. (From Bungie, dontcha know.)

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Shivahn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:23 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Shivahn wrote:I have Lugaru HD and both Mount and Blade and Mount and Blade: Warband (though I can't play them because WINE is stupid about the way it handles the mouse sometimes).
I thought Lugaru, at least, had a Linux port at this point - didn't it go open source like the other items in the Humble Indie Bundle #1?

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, so I'm semi-randomly going to fall down on Oni. (From Bungie, dontcha know.)


Lugaru was, I meant that the two Mount and Blades didn't work. I actually play Lugaru in WINE though because I have no reason not to.

From what I can see on Youtube, Oni looks like it's closeish to what I'm looking for, but it doesn't look like melee is emphasized as much as I'd like.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:55 am UTC

Rune. If you can find a copy of it, it's a Viking running around and lopping off heads and arms.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:09 am UTC

Would you believe I was about to mention Rune? The catch is that it's a first-person game, isn't it? (It also got some rather middling reviews.)

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:00 am UTC

There's a 3rd person button. It's much easier to lop off arms and such in 3rd person mode. Also, to make those stupid jumps.

Now, I never said it was a great game, but it's a wonderful $5 Goof Off One Afternoon game, where you can kinda see what they should have twerked here, and changed this there and so on.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Shivahn
Posts: 2200
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Shivahn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:28 am UTC

That looks more or less to be my style. I'll be checking it out.

Honestly, I just want something with a working combat engine. A lot of things about Lugaru were terrible, including parts of the engine, but I managed to enjoy myself because I wanted to beat up some dudes with my fists in that style. That's really all I want, I suppose, and Rune checks out. If I can find it.

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

Are there any PS3/xbox360 racing games with Co-op campaign/tournaments.

Ideally my favorite game was either mario kart or this racing game that used like a motorcycle type car, but with weapons systems. You could destroy the other racers to knock them out of the race, or come in 1st the old fashion way. I loved it because I could focus on destroying half the competition while my friend could enjoy racing.

User avatar
llamanaru
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby llamanaru » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

Apparently Project Gotham Racing 4 for the 360 has really good co-op. It also has some more "arcade-y" modes to it that you might find appealing.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:44 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:There's a 3rd person button. It's much easier to lop off arms and such in 3rd person mode. Also, to make those stupid jumps.

Now, I never said it was a great game, but it's a wonderful $5 Goof Off One Afternoon game, where you can kinda see what they should have twerked here, and changed this there and so on.


Yes, was about to suggest rune also :shock:.
It's is, however, a bit silly at times ("Get hit by my magical axe of conversion! Now you are on my side!").

archeleus
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:49 pm UTC
Location: Valenvaryon
Contact:

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby archeleus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

Playing Resident Evil 5 now.

It has good co-op and the story is good. It may not be the best RE released, but I kinda like it at times.
I write a blog rant here.

User avatar
Herra Monologi
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:42 am UTC
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Herra Monologi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:18 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:So, I would like more games of genre: Mount and Blade/Lugaru HD. Ones where you take a third-person view and use the mouse to move the view angle and the keyboard to move around, while left clicking and moving various directions/crouching/doing something else to alter your attack for the situation.

I'm having trouble describing it, but if you've played something like it I think you'll get the description.

I have Lugaru HD and both Mount and Blade and Mount and Blade: Warband (though I can't play them because WINE is stupid about the way it handles the mouse sometimes).

Does anyone have any recommendations for games like those?


Die by the sword was a long time ago only game like that (1998). Graphichs are bad but it's quite fun to chop kobolts and orcs. Singleplayer was quite challenging also. It's now in gog.com.

And don't forget Severance: Blade of Darkness. It has very good combat system and you can chop off limbs and so on...

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

novax6 wrote:From what I've heard of Little Big Planet, it's pretty boring once the novelty and new-ness of it wears off. That seems about right from the little I played. A technically impressive game, but the actual gameplay was very shallow. Maybe worth it if you want a game to show people and play with groups.

Eh. If you like 2D platformers, then it's a very good example of the genre with near endless numbers of levels to play (of varying levels of quality). If you don't, then, yeah, it's probably not a good game to play.
llamanaru wrote:Gran Turismo 5 is the god of all console racing games. Especially if you have a wheel. GriD is good too, though it's not as realistic as Gran Turismo.

No, it's a great simulation, but a god awful game. The menu system is terrible, the campaign is really poorly-designed in a lot of respects, and if you're not using all "Premium" cars in a race, it ends up looking *worse* than GT4. But yeah, the actual driving is pretty damned good.

On the arcade side of things, I would highly recommend Burnout Paradise or Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. The former is probably the better of the two and cheaper, but they're both great games.

User avatar
llamanaru
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby llamanaru » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:No, it's a great simulation, but a god awful game. The menu system is terrible, the campaign is really poorly-designed in a lot of respects, and if you're not using all "Premium" cars in a race, it ends up looking *worse* than GT4. But yeah, the actual driving is pretty damned good.
Right, the game part of it is indeed horrible...

Shivahn wrote:So, I would like more games of genre: Mount and Blade/Lugaru HD. Ones where you take a third-person view and use the mouse to move the view angle and the keyboard to move around, while left clicking and moving various directions/crouching/doing something else to alter your attack for the situation.

Perhaps the sequel to Lugaru, Overgrowth? It's still in development, but it's really starting to come together. You can see the state of the current build at their youtube channel and pre-ordering gets you access to weekly alphas so it's almost like an actual game...

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:47 am UTC

I was wondering if anyone knows of any games of the xcom/UFO ilk. I love that style of gameplay, but there don't seem to be many games like it out. I have the relatively more recent UFO:After series, but I only liked the first one, as the other 2 had such a bad UI that it just became tedious to play. Any more recent games of that type?
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:00 am UTC

Laser Squad Nemesis, perhaps?

Adavistic Puma
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:47 am UTC

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Adavistic Puma » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 am UTC

UFO:AI is a pretty good remake/re-invention of the old XCOM games:
http://ufoai.ninex.info/

From that era was also Jagged Alliance, which I heard was good.

And I know I've seen some other one with nazi's that end up getting steampunk mecha suits, but I didnt play that one.

EDIT: It was called Silent Storm:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Storm

User avatar
llamanaru
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby llamanaru » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:36 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows of any games of the xcom/UFO ilk. I love that style of gameplay, but there don't seem to be many games like it out. I have the relatively more recent UFO:After series, but I only liked the first one, as the other 2 had such a bad UI that it just became tedious to play. Any more recent games of that type?

Stellar Forces is pretty good. You don't get the base management or story of XCOM but the TBS is definitely there. It's an automatic play-by-email multiplayer only game.

User avatar
_HazY_
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:01 am UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby _HazY_ » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:10 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Are there any PS3/xbox360 racing games with Co-op campaign/tournaments.

Ideally my favorite game was either mario kart or this racing game that used like a motorcycle type car, but with weapons systems. You could destroy the other racers to knock them out of the race, or come in 1st the old fashion way. I loved it because I could focus on destroying half the competition while my friend could enjoy racing.


Burnout has a very interesting Co-Op/challenge mode but I would say for the consoles look at PGR4 and GT5 if you have the PS3, GT5 isn't that great given how long everyone waited for it but there are some die-hard fans playing it online..

User avatar
Eseell
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am UTC
Location: WA

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Eseell » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:04 am UTC

_HazY_ wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:Are there any PS3/xbox360 racing games with Co-op campaign/tournaments.

Ideally my favorite game was either mario kart or this racing game that used like a motorcycle type car, but with weapons systems. You could destroy the other racers to knock them out of the race, or come in 1st the old fashion way. I loved it because I could focus on destroying half the competition while my friend could enjoy racing.


Burnout has a very interesting Co-Op/challenge mode but I would say for the consoles look at PGR4 and GT5 if you have the PS3, GT5 isn't that great given how long everyone waited for it but there are some die-hard fans playing it online..

ModNation Racers on PS3 is quite a bit of fun, especially if you like kart racing games. It's very much in the vein of Mario Kart. There's a demo on PSN.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1070
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:01 am UTC

I've got a very eclectic gaming group and I'd like to get a few games that can satisfy all comers, from the hardcore gamers to the complete noobs. Something easy and fun, party style games like "apples to apples" or "What where you thinking" or "We didn't play test this". Also, sometimes people don't have the best English (see my location).

I saw Dixit in the board game thread, and that does look pretty good. I'd like to get one or two more. Any recommendations?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
Jar'O'Jam
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:53 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:I've got a very eclectic gaming group and I'd like to get a few games that can satisfy all comers, from the hardcore gamers to the complete noobs. Something easy and fun, party style games like "apples to apples" or "What where you thinking" or "We didn't play test this". Also, sometimes people don't have the best English (see my location).

I saw Dixit in the board game thread, and that does look pretty good. I'd like to get one or two more. Any recommendations?

How about Mafia, 1000 Blank White Cards and Contact?
Image
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

User avatar
Naurgul
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:50 am UTC
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Naurgul » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

No Thanks and Dixit seem good and both fulfil your requirements.
Last edited by Naurgul on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

User avatar
Eseell
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 am UTC
Location: WA

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Eseell » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:03 pm UTC

Fluxx or any of its variations would probably fit well with your group.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Styfios
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:56 am UTC

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Styfios » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:38 am UTC

Can someone recommend a good single player pc game that will last a while? I've already played most popular rpg's out there (KOTOR 1 + 2, ME1 + 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc) and most Valve games as well.

Thanks! ^__^

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Jorpho » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:11 am UTC

Would you care to narrow it down just a teensy bit from "single player PC game" ?

Have you played Torment yet? Available from GOG.com , dontcha know.

Alternatively, I'd love to get around to playing The Ur-Quan Masters (nee Star Control 2) someday.

Styfios
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:56 am UTC

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Styfios » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:28 am UTC

Would you care to narrow it down just a teensy bit from "single player PC game" ?


I basically was just looking for any type of game I could play by myself, preferably for short intervals in between work.

User avatar
rigwarl
Posts: 759
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby rigwarl » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

I'm looking for free, easily accessible games along the lines of isketch or transformice I can play with my girlfriend online. Any suggestions?

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:05 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:I'm looking for free, easily accessible games along the lines of isketch or transformice I can play with my girlfriend online. Any suggestions?


Teeworlds? Savage 2? Urban Terror? Dota? MSN messenger games?
I'm a bit stuck on the accessible part tbh.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests