I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SirBryghtside

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:02 pm UTC

Definitely, it's probably the single most detailed game I've ever played. The Director's Cut also makes the bosses a little better, though they're still bad.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

onoresrts63

Postby onoresrts63 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:31 am UTC

Crisis 3

Awesome FPS game with cool graphics and amazing gameplay! Play as a super soldier in a story and save the world from alien invasion! Although this game requires a little bit high specs. You must have a fast computer to be able to play without lag or you could just adjust the graphics of the game to remove some of the lag.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun May 18, 2014 5:45 am UTC

onoresrts63 wrote:Crisis 3

Awesome FPS game with cool graphics and amazing gameplay! Play as a super soldier in a story and save the world from alien invasion! Although this game requires a little bit high specs. You must have a fast computer to be able to play without lag or you could just adjust the graphics of the game to remove some of the lag.

Who is this for?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun May 18, 2014 1:17 pm UTC

Something mentally challenging. SIngleplayer. I want to have to think about stuff. I guess I could play a puzzle game or play chess against my computer. But maybe somebody has a good suggestion.

And on the other hand I also search some rpg with a good story would be nice too.I'm up for some leveling and monster slaying. Okay if I had to think in the fights that would be nice too, but I have yet to find that.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun May 18, 2014 3:05 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:Something mentally challenging. SIngleplayer. I want to have to think about stuff. I guess I could play a puzzle game or play chess against my computer. But maybe somebody has a good suggestion.
That's very nonspecific. Braid?

And on the other hand I also search some rpg with a good story would be nice too.I'm up for some leveling and monster slaying. Okay if I had to think in the fights that would be nice too, but I have yet to find that.
Torment. The answer is always Torment.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun May 18, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

When is a puzzle game not a puzzle game? Braid is good. FTL is worth a go, particularly with the recent free expansion. Desktop Dungeons, though I'd look to pick it up on sale rather than full price.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun May 18, 2014 7:39 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:Something mentally challenging. SIngleplayer. I want to have to think about stuff. I guess I could play a puzzle game or play chess against my computer. But maybe somebody has a good suggestion.

Have you tried Antichamber?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun May 18, 2014 8:11 pm UTC

Anti chamber good idea thanks, will try it! Thanks.
(Played some Braid levels in the past but I think I got bored. I really should play torment I started once but stopped for some reason.)

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon May 19, 2014 10:04 am UTC

Glad I could help :) it's an excellent game, I need to go back and 100% it some day.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon May 19, 2014 10:35 am UTC

The lovely thing about antichamber is that, despite being the most surreal game I've ever played, it is has an entirely consistent internal logic. There is never the terribly frustrating moment where something that worked before fails in the same situation, or where what works breaks rules of logic that have been firmly established in previous puzzles. It's one of my favourite games, and one of the few games that I feel approaches real art.

A word of warning - never ever, ever look at an antichamber walkthrough - you will regret it badly. Some of the puzzles took me several days on-and-off to solve (I'm not the best at puzzle games), but the sense of satisfaction from solving them by myself was enormous.

Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Thu May 29, 2014 4:13 pm UTC

I'm looking for something fairly specific, that might not be out there.

- 2p co-op compatible
- online preferred, but not required
- f2p preferred, but not required
- harder than pokemon, easier than borderlands
- a challenge mode comparable to that of Phantasy Star Online. This includes a lengthy series of missions with pre-set starting gear, random item drops, and a possible failure state.

We tried Path of Exile, but got to a particularly difficult boss, and just kind of died throwing ourselves at it over and over until we whittled its health to nothing. It felt kind of dumb from a game design standpoint, and grinding would be equally unsatisfying, IM[our]O.

Basically we played PSO challenge mode for a year, got bored of doing the same levels over and over, and are looking to move on.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 29, 2014 9:55 pm UTC

I'm reading a book that's talking about the trade route a guy is on, and how he's unloading sacks of salt in exchange for barrels of rice. I loved Caesar III and Age of Empires and Anno 2070, so, am looking for/thinking of a game akin to that, wherein you need to move and trade resources around to aid production and military and crafting.

Any suggestions for games that are fairly focused on resource management? I'm less interested in the combat side of things, but ignoring it entirely is also weak. Perhaps without a heavy system requirement?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri May 30, 2014 12:55 am UTC

I haven't tried it out yet myself, but Factorio looks potentially interesting for that - lots of resource/production-chain management with some tower defense, as I understand it.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:02 pm UTC

Yoshimitsu wrote:I'm looking for something fairly specific, that might not be out there.

- 2p co-op compatible
- a challenge mode comparable to that of Phantasy Star Online. This includes a lengthy series of missions with pre-set starting gear, random item drops, and a possible failure state.

We tried Path of Exile, but got to a particularly difficult boss, and just kind of died throwing ourselves at it over and over until we whittled its health to nothing. It felt kind of dumb from a game design standpoint, and grinding would be equally unsatisfying, IM[our]O.

Basically we played PSO challenge mode for a year, got bored of doing the same levels over and over, and are looking to move on.

Maybe Torchlight 2? It fits most of the qualifications, anyway. There's also Diablo III, I guess, but that's quite a bit more expensive.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:31 pm UTC

How do people feel the Sword of the Stars (I or II) games shaked out? I've heard very mixed reviews, from 'totally awesome and amazing' to 'wretched and not worth it'.

I need a good 4x
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Rogue5_jm

Postby Rogue5_jm » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:45 pm UTC

I tried the first SotS a few months ago expecting Homeworld. I was disappointed immediately after starting it and didn't give the game a chance to show me what it really was, so I can't honestly say.

Yoshimitsu wrote:I'm looking for something fairly specific, that might not be out there.

- 2p co-op compatible

Monster Hunter was my first thought, but it's not exactly easier than Borderlands. There are other similar games out there with slightly more forgiving learning curves (God Eater, Ragnarok Odyssey, Toukiden, etc.)

Yoshimitsu

Postby Yoshimitsu » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:10 am UTC

Rogue5_jm wrote:I tried the first SotS a few months ago expecting Homeworld. I was disappointed immediately after starting it and didn't give the game a chance to show me what it really was, so I can't honestly say.

- 2p co-op compatible

Monster Hunter was my first thought, but it's not exactly easier than Borderlands. There are other similar games out there with slightly more forgiving learning curves (God Eater, Ragnarok Odyssey, Toukiden, etc.)

I looked those games up, and they seem like fun RPGs, but I'm really missing the preset-starting gear aspect that made PSO challenge mode so fun. In something like Torchlight, you can die and then restart at a higher level/better gear until you stop dying. That just makes the whole exercise seem pointless to me.

I'm not even looking for an rpg, per se. It would be cool if there was a sports game where your team received random stat boosts as the game wore on, or a tcg where you began the campaign with a simple deck and then acquired random booster packs as you progressed.

Rogue5_jm

Postby Rogue5_jm » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:42 am UTC

Yeah, the closest parallel in MH would be the arena challenges.

Soo, a co-op with roguelike mechanics?

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:58 am UTC

Not exactly the genre you're looking for, but Ironclad Tactics has everything else you asked after.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

Yes, I know I'm months late to the party, but: Portal. Both games. Excellent puzzles, single player, sometimes incredibly challenging, and a very entertaining story/antagonist.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

Another plug for a good resource management game request? I'm also jonesing for a 4x, turn based or otherwise.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:30 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Another plug for a good resource management game request? I'm also jonesing for a 4x, turn based or otherwise.

I'd recommend one of the Paradox games EU3 or 4, Victoria, Hearts of Iron, or Crusader Kings. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but Victoria 2 is heavily resource management.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:30 am UTC

Yeah, I don't think those are up my alley. I was thinking more like Caesar, or Stronghold (which I haven't tried yet). I was playing Banished for a while, but it's pretty content poor.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:29 pm UTC

EDIT wrong topic...

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:38 am UTC

I'm looking for a text-based or otherwise non-resource-intensive game(s) that I can play on my crappy netbook that'll keep me hooked for a while (for like three months). I'm trying to get into nethack and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, though they're taking a while to get used to (which I suppose will make them more rewarding in the long run). Any alternatives? Roguelike or otherwise.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:15 am UTC

How simple are you looking here? DF is a good suggestion, of course.

Are you willing to pay? Do you only want to play for 3 months?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:47 am UTC

I find DF a tad confusing, but I guess I could give it another chance.

I said 3 months because by that time I'll most likely have a new desktop to play Skyrim again (which I miss dearly...I had a lot of mods). I'd rather not have to pay. I've been making due with the aforementioned roguelikes and like, silly flash games, but even something like Nv2.0 lags a little. (Though maybe it's just flash that sucks, I dunno)
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:32 am UTC

Cataclysm and it's fork, Cataclysm:Dark Days Ahead

Started as a Left 4 Dead roguelike, has expanded to involve lovecraftian entities, cyborgs, robots and dinosaurs. All with the ability to build not just a house, but a solar powered electric engine RV with plasma turrets to kill any who dare draw too close.

It's....pretty fun.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:30 am UTC

Weeks wrote:I find DF a tad confusing, but I guess I could give it another chance.

I said 3 months because by that time I'll most likely have a new desktop to play Skyrim again (which I miss dearly...I had a lot of mods). I'd rather not have to pay. I've been making due with the aforementioned roguelikes and like, silly flash games, but even something like Nv2.0 lags a little. (Though maybe it's just flash that sucks, I dunno)

No matter what anybody says, get a tileset for DF if you haven't already. Why would one want too memorize the mapping between arbitrary symbols and objects in a game?

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:01 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:
Weeks wrote:I find DF a tad confusing, but I guess I could give it another chance.

No matter what anybody says, get a tileset for DF if you haven't already. Why would one want too memorize the mapping between arbitrary symbols and objects in a game?

Possibly because once memorised, those arbitrary symbols are more easily recognisable than some 16x16 tiles which can look... somewhat odd. That said, it's pretty much a matter of personal preference. Graphics do make the game look nicer, but ASCII has a smaller horizontal size, meaning more things fit on screen.
I'd say try both and stick to what works for you.
Also, I'm not sure DF can really be called non-resource-intensive (unless limited to small embarks, in small worlds, with short history, temperature turned off...)

On a somewhat less resource-intensive front, DoomRL is a pretty decent time-waster.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:10 pm UTC

Yep. I have no idea if the little squirrely lizard thing is a dragon, a lizardfolk or .. just a lizard.

But I know a D is going to wreck my stuff.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

Just finished replaying Metroid: Zero Mission, and I realised that last bit where you're in the zero suit is still my favourite example of stealth gameplay. You're completely outclassed and can't kill anyone, and being seen doesn't result in a failure state, but a really fun and frantic chase sequence where you have to think on your feet to hide. Just wondering if there's any full game out there that has a similar style to that sequence - consoles are PC and all Nintendo handhelds, but I don't mind hearing about games on other peripherals :)

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:41 pm UTC

Maybe Mark of the Ninja? You can play it offensively, but if you finish each stage with zero kills you get bonuses for that as well, and for not being seen by any of your enemies. It's a pretty great game.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:46 pm UTC

Any of the first three Splinter Cell games (would recommend Chaos Theory if you're only going for one) - there may be one or two mandatory kills (for story reasons), but otherwise you can be completely non-lethal. On the harder difficulty modes you're (or at least I am) pretty much toast if you get into an offensive firefight, but if you take someone down just after you're spotted you can salvage the situation with some creative running, hiding and laying traps. I remember having a wonderful time recce-ing areas, memorizing patrol paths and planning my movements to make sure I didn't get spotted. It's a pity they changed the play style to "if you get into trouble just whip out your assault rifle and shoot everyone".

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:05 am UTC

A non-lethal* playthrough of the original Deus Ex?

*You have to kill one person.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:42 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:A non-lethal* playthrough of the original Deus Ex?

While true, the problem with that is the non-lethal run through of Deus Ex still often requires that you fire weaponry. And while there is a slight difference between tranq'ing someone and shooting them in the head, that difference is really only in how quickly they collapse to the ground.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:01 pm UTC

Hm, I'm not sure those are quite what I'm looking for. I've already played the original Deus Ex, and while it was a fantastic game, it's not quite the same thing - for starters, I always feel a little weird about going non-lethal in games like that, because it seems like a really arbitrary restriction when it's so easy to go full Rambo, and I also agree with what Talon said - that non-lethal playthroughs often involve 'knocking people out', which is almost indistinguishable from killing in a pure gameplay sense. The absence of any lethal option whatsoever combined with the fast pace in Zero Mission is why I liked that section so much in comparison to other full games I've played in the same genre (Dishonoured, Deus Ex series, Bethesda stealth, etc). Still, thanks for the suggestions - Mark of the Ninja and Splinter Cell definitely sound close, so I'll check them out anyways :)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:03 pm UTC

You might enjoy the new Alien game - something something you're unarmed and running in screaming terror from a Xenomorph for the entirety of gameplay, hiding and attempting to move silently around so as to not draw attention to yourself. As I understand it, at least, as I have not played it.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:42 am UTC

A friend and I are looking for a fun co-op game to play together. So far we've played LoL, DotA2, Strife, The Secret World, ArcheAge, Dragon Age MP but we don't necessarily need an MMO or a MOBA. What we really want is the ability for at least two people to play co-op, slight preference for PvE over PvP. Ideally something we can play for a few hours every other day until we get bored. Bonus points if we can have some other friends join us on occasion.

Currently we are considering Divinity: Original Sin.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:57 pm UTC

Crypt of the Necrodancer has a shared-keyboard co-op mode.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Return to “Gaming”