Diablo III

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Negated

Re: Diablo III

Postby Negated » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:49 pm UTC

The skill changes are mostly good or at least a step in the right direction. But I have a mixed feeling about nerfing champ monster affixes. Nightmarish nerf is obviously needed, and lower damage in Fire Chain and Arcane Enchanted are mostly welcome, considering how incredibly fast they kill. The elimination of Invulnerable minions and severe nerf to Shielding, however, feels like an overkill. Shielding 1 monster at a time means the player only needs to stop hitting the shielded monster with single-target attacks, and it is mostly meaningless if the player uses AOE attacks. Invulnerable minions, IMO, should stay as long as the Elite monster does not become unreachable for melee players. Perhaps capping the number of minions to about 4 will do.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:03 pm UTC

I can't get on blizzard's website but that post surprised me I didn't know they'd change that stuff. The mods that I think are ridiculous are reflect damage and illusion. Reflect needs a cap or something because in act 3 inferno, ranged classes can't even touch the enemy without extraordinary means (demon hunters sitting in smokescreen for huge chunks of time). Reflect is completely ineffective against barbs and monks anyway, I don't understand why the percentage is so high. Illusion usually works fine but it's buggy as hell with other mods. Mortar seems to spread to the illusions, which is either a bug or a complete absurdity for ranged classes. They also seem to spawn their own arcane sentries if left alone long enough. That can lead to a sea of arcane against illusion+arcane enemies with an AI that tells them to keep their distance from the player. Enemies that explode into other enemies and have illusion just gets silly quickly, especially with the arcane and mortar +illusion bugs. Invulnerable minions is a hard spawn no doubt but I would have preferred they leave it. My barb actually enjoys that mod as he can jump directly on the leader who has lowered health and pops the rest when he dies. I agree coupled with horde it was unfair to ranged classes, particularly with a fast enemy type or the fast mod.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

I think the problem with Invulnerable minions was that some ranged classes didn't have a piercing attack to deal with them. With the whole philosophy of trying to make many builds viable this made it so you either had a piercing attack or skipped invulnerable minion packs. Making them "ethereal" or somehting where attacks passed through the minions would have been reasonable though probably technically far more challenging.

Do Illusionists monsters actually deal damage though? I thought nothing they did hurt you. Now granted I've often gotten killed by them if I lose track of the real ones and can't figure out what to avoid in a barrage of mortars, but I don't think the actual illusionary mortars hurt you.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:18 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Do Illusionists monsters actually deal damage though? I thought nothing they did hurt you. Now granted I've often gotten killed by them if I lose track of the real ones and can't figure out what to avoid in a barrage of mortars, but I don't think the actual illusionary mortars hurt you.
I don't know where this rumor got started, but illusions most certainly deal damage. It is significantly less damage than the main mob, but it is damage.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:25 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:
Chen wrote:Do Illusionists monsters actually deal damage though? I thought nothing they did hurt you. Now granted I've often gotten killed by them if I lose track of the real ones and can't figure out what to avoid in a barrage of mortars, but I don't think the actual illusionary mortars hurt you.
I don't know where this rumor got started, but illusions most certainly deal damage. It is significantly less damage than the main mob, but it is damage.

Can illusions spawn more illusions? Sometimes it seems like their numbers balloon out of control. Is it even possible to beat them without aoe damage?
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

Is it even possible to beat them without aoe damage?

Yeah. Old illusions just dissolve after a given time.

Not that I recommend it, but they're doable with pure single target damage.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I don't know where this rumor got started, but illusions most certainly deal damage. It is significantly less damage than the main mob, but it is damage.

Hmm the diablo wiki link to Illusionist says they deal no damage. Granted I don't know how up to date it is. I never really noticed them dealing significant damage except in some cases (the ones that leave poison corpses definitely dealt very high damage even if illusions). I had thought that was just buggy though. Good to know I guess.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 pm UTC

I've seen it many places, but I've tested as have other friends. It could be something to do with the glitch mosc was speaking. I've also had some illusions that would spawn arcane sentries and some that wouldn't even if they had the affix.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:24 pm UTC

The buffs to Hydra are pretty crazy. Arcane Hydra at 60% damage per shot is slightly higher damage than Arcane Orb when it hits a group of enemies. For Single targets lightning Hydra is also pretty absurd.

I also didn't realize they buffed some of the already good legendaries like Tyrael's Might. Upped the run speed to 12% and the resist all into the 60-70s. Going to have to try and get one of those once the prices drop (everything new is super expensive, as expected now). There's also a belt that now has crit damage on it which is going to make it an absurdly popular item. I wonder when the guide will be updated so I can check out all the new legendaries.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:32 am UTC

I got this a few weeks ago and rolled a Monk. I've been having fun with it, facerolled through everything right up to Inferno act III, where I went from destroying everything, to getting shit on by packs and dying in like four seconds... so I've been in farm mode for a few days, just farming up gold in act I and trying to get some decent drops (HAH) in act 2.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

Metaphysician wrote:I got this a few weeks ago and rolled a Monk. I've been having fun with it, facerolled through everything right up to Inferno act III, where I went from destroying everything, to getting shit on by packs and dying in like four seconds... so I've been in farm mode for a few days, just farming up gold in act I and trying to get some decent drops (HAH) in act 2.

I got to 60 in all 5 characters... I got thru Act 1 Inferno with 4 of them (hated the Witchdoctor personally, so I never play her after getting her to 60)... I farm act 2 (kulle only first, and then kulle to Belial after 1.04 due to AH market crash leading to being able to buy some nice item cheap), but I was only able to get thru act 3 with my monk only AND only after I leech loot off from public games in act 3.

You need to start looking into items with "Life on hit", and "Life regeneration" in act 3, mainly due to the fact that All resist is pretty much capped out due to decreasing rate of return and you'll need something else to keep you alive. You have two routes to go: get +crit dmg and +crit hit to raise your dps so you kill mobs before they kill you and you kite elites excessively, or you get LOH and regen gear so you can tank. I suspect you'll need to do both for Act 4 and Inferno Whimsyshire.

My advice for you is to go into public games and pray you are lucky enough to join some crazy dps wizard that went perma-nova tornado crit build... he/she will kill everything for you while you tank what's left... The loot is sweet towards the end of act 3 and you basically just have to stay alive, stack up NV, and pick up the trail of loot from the guy that is doing the killing. Do this a few times and you'll have sufficient gear to live through act 3.

Currently my monk has 1000 life regen per second, 800 Life on hit, 700+ all resist, 53k life, +145 MF (no NV), 18k dps unbuffed. He can solo kill Ghom... but I don't have the courage to do anything beyond that on my own. I would perfere playing barbarian or wizard.. but gearing up a monk is way cheaper... My eyes are envious every time I see a perma archon wizard, or even a Barb with 1000 dps weapon in act 3...

anyways 1.05 is coming and this whole thing might become irrlevant. They are revamping defensive skills so you'll need only one defensive skill to survive. They are also adding Inferno-Machine (sorta like uber tristium in d2) and that may further deflate the prices in AH.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

The way I see 1.05 playing out is this: People who can't farm act 3 under the current popular skill build for their class will finally be able to farm act 3. Meanwhile, people who can farm act 3 under the current popular skill build for their class will be able to drop one or two "core" defense skills in order to farm faster. Those ranged people who have enough gear stats to farm act 3 with the higher tier builds are going to drop defense to a point that they can one shot almost anything in the game while the melee will retain slightly higher defense but switch out life on hit for % life leech and go to high dps drain-tank builds. You may even see a move to two handers with lifesteal.

I'm still waiting for legendaries to act in a meaningful enough way to start affecting builds. Blade of the Warlord almost achieves this with life per fury spent and Mara's Kaleidescope, Skull Grasp, and Stone of Jordan almost acheve this because of the potential resource cost reduction on specific skills but I'd like to see a little more from procs. The item procs that are in game are ok but most are underpowered because of the low proc on the item coupled with the even power proc rate on the skill. A good example is Hellrack; it has a 10% chance to root an enemy which, by itself, isn't overly useful as it's too low to really depend on and is made much worse by any AoE skill dropping the rate to an abyssmal 2-3% in most cases or even lower in others.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:30 am UTC

Right now I'm leveling other characters and waiting to continue on my monk until after 1.05... the main reason being that right now, I can farm pretty comfortably in act II now, but the drops are abysmal, I remember one time going back to town without a single item over ilvl 60, I got one 62 and one 63 after running through VoA, Cave and Belial plus full clearing all the packs in the desert around cave and VoA... I was like, it's just not worth it to farm right now when they are fixing drops somewhat (I raged when Belial dropped 2 lvl 54 items, one lvl 58 and one lvl 60). Once I actually have a shot at getting decent drops, I'll get back to farming, but in the meantime, I'm gonna lvl other classes, just got my Barb to 30... might start a wiz or just keep going with the barb. I think I have around 600 lifesteal on my monk right now... I guess looking into pub games might not be a bad idea, I hadn't thought of that, I've done everything solo so far except a few farming runs with a friend who is now playing guild wars.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:I'm still waiting for legendaries to act in a meaningful enough way to start affecting builds. Blade of the Warlord almost achieves this with life per fury spent and Mara's Kaleidescope, Skull Grasp, and Stone of Jordan almost acheve this because of the potential resource cost reduction on specific skills but I'd like to see a little more from procs. The item procs that are in game are ok but most are underpowered because of the low proc on the item coupled with the even power proc rate on the skill. A good example is Hellrack; it has a 10% chance to root an enemy which, by itself, isn't overly useful as it's too low to really depend on and is made much worse by any AoE skill dropping the rate to an abyssmal 2-3% in most cases or even lower in others.

Hammer of the Ancients is I think what you're looking for. If you get fury reduction cost from skull grasp and stone of jordan along with a 5 piece Immortal King set, you can use a two hander, say skorn, and spam hammer of the ancients while MAKING fury. I think what I just said is about $500-$1000 in gear at the minimum.

Of course there's the pre-patch demon hunter set with triple discipline regen which coupled with the ridiculous crit chance (some DH run >50%) and the 1 discipline on crit passive can maintain gloom 100% of the time in combat. Makes the new fire damage left from vault pretty game changing.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:55 pm UTC

Oi oi, patch 1.0.5 is upon us.
Among other news:
- Monster Power can now be adjusted, to make the game as hard as you feel like, and make the end of Inferno easier if you choose so
- A new end-game quest for those who have already seen all of the content
- A general buff of underused abilities
- A significant improvement of drops in inferno, especially with monster power enabled
- and more!
Bertrand Russell wrote:Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Richard Feynman & many others wrote:Keep an open mind – but not so open that your brain falls out

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:20 pm UTC

Monster power seems to have some effects on the elite pack mods and also their AI using them. They are now criminally effective with their desecrates+jailers, frozens fire off in staggered order, and the pairings of mods seem scientifically designed to be more annoying. I even saw some strafing going on by some meele dudes with molten the little bastards.

I would advise people to keep monster power low. The hitpoints they add get absurd quickly. You'll move faster with a lower monster power. 1 works very well for solo farming, 2 or 3 are good for more experienced players. I'm not sure you should go to 4 unless you have >200k DPS on your character, maybe if it's a well balanced larger group. 5 is getting to the point where I'm not sure anybody would be better off with adding that much hitpoints for the measly MF/GF bonus no matter how much damage you do. 6+ are pointless.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:20 pm UTC

5+ monster power is not effective for normal pack and key farming, it is really only useful for farming organs once you 've already got your keys. Apparently the bosses on mp5 are on the same level as packs on mp4, big suprise.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Negated

Postby Negated » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 pm UTC

So far I have tested MP1 Act 2. The drops have notably improved in quality on average. I have been able to find gears that are better than what I already have about once every hour. I don't have the luck to find legendaries or good rings with the new lv63 mods though.

There are a lot of outcries over Wizard's lower proc rates on many skills. I can see where they are coming from: freeze lock is hard to keep up without gears that grant high attack speed and crit chance. My 1.0.4 Wiz could get by with ~35% crit chance, but now I need over 40% to make it viable. The extra crit chance comes from switching the Energy Armor rune from Prismatic to Pinpoint. That means I am taking more damage than before. I can survive MP1 Act 2 just fine, but MP1 Act 3 will likely destroy me.

The improved Spectral Blade and Meteors look like viable options, but unlikely to proc enough to make freeze lock possible without top end gears. I guess people like me that have gears that worth 15~20mil total will need to do more running in battles.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:15 pm UTC

The legendary drop rate was doubled, and the way mods roll on rares was altered (higher level mods roll on lower level items, and lower level mods are less likely to eat up spots on higher level items). Playing at any MP level, these changes are very noticeable after the patch. Monster power does not have an effect on legendary drops or the quality of drops beyond it's stated increase in MF/GF.

Monster Power's main purpose now seems to be to increase the drops for pieces leading to the new ring (best to raise it when using the machine to take best advantage of your hard farmed keys). As a farming tool, it should be kept very low. You basically only want to move past monster power 1 when you are killing things so fast that long cooldown skills are routinely not recharged by the time the next elite shows up. Trading some time to kill for some slightly better mf/gf then makes sense in giving you more drops per time interval. I basically run MP1 with my alts (any character capable of beating diablo solo), MP2 with my best character, and MP3 in a decent group of people. MP4 is really for people with a lot more DPS than me.

I am happy the frozen lock on the sorceress is changed. The build was not conducive to cooperative play. Sorceresses should not be tanking.

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:55 am UTC

I think I missed something in my time away, what is this business with key farming and organs? Im at work and cant look up anything helpful.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:02 pm UTC

They added monster power which lets you set the difficulty higher but gives you a mf/gf bonus. zero to 10 are possible. Zero is now easier than the game used to be and is what people will use until they beat the difficulty level.

They put 4 purple guys in the game, one in each act in inferno. They have a percent chance, based on your MP level, of dropping a unique item needed to generate a portal to a new challenge zone. You make a machine by putting the items together. The machine takes you to a boss map where you will fight two bosses at once (siegebreaker + khul, rakanoth + golm, magda + skeleton king) Each pair has a chance, based on your mp, to drop another ingredient. Combining the three ingredients gets you a unique ring (you have to pay 2mil once for the jeweler to be able to combine rings in the future for you). All the drops, including the unique ring, are account bound. You can make as many rings as you want but it takes some work to go through the process and the drops are not guaranteed.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

I read that there's evidence that the ring produces stats tuned to the class of character creating it? Is that confirmed?

Like, WD/Wizard will have +int, while Barb +Str.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

You get 4 different recipies when you buy the two million dollar book from the act two chick. It says exactly what they do. Each offers a large pile of the attribute of your chosing (str, vit, dex, or int which is why there are for recipies), a 35% bonus experience mod, and 4 random top level ring mods. So my barb can roll a dex ring if he wants I suppose. The recipies are bought once and learned for all characters for all time, just like all the other recipies. 2 million buys you 4 recipies that are all identical except for the main attribute you want to feature.

But yeah, I got a str one for my barb and it has 200 strength on it along with the 35% bonus experience mod, and 4 random mods. If you're curious, I got 70-some vit, 70+ all res, like 175 LOH, and some poison resistance. It replaced a very similar skull grasp ring with some vit that I was using. Actually had slightly less strength and no armor compared to the skull grasp but I'll take it for the great resistance mod it rolled. The custom ring is account bound too where I can sell the skull grasp.
Last edited by mosc on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:54 am UTC

So I came back to this game this weekend and it definitely seems drops have improved dramatically. Maybe it was just lucky but doing quick MP0 Act 3 runs netted me 4 legendaries over maybe 10-12 hours of playing. All but 1 sucked horribly (but the one looks to be worth at least 20m).

Now I need some clarification on the whole MP thing. MP1 sets act 1 and 2 mobs to level 63 and increases HP/damage/MF/GF/Xp. However, act 3 mobs were already level 63. So am I correct in that the only thing MP1 does for act 3 is give them more hp/damage and give me a tiny bit more MF/GF/XP? I can run MP1 or 2 on Act 3 but it affects my killing time and doesn't seem to be worth it considering the extra risk.

Also, I understand that affixes are now based on the level of the monster that drops the item rather than the ilvl of the item. Does this mean that its worthwhile to pick up almost all rares now? The only thing the ilvl of an item affects I believe would therefore be the base damage or armor of an item. I guess it means that weapons and offhands below 61 are probably not worth it, but everything else is since they can all roll great stats now (assuming you're running on MP1 or act 3 or higher).

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

They said that Act III 1.0.4 was about equivalent to Act III 1.0.5 with MP 2-3, so playing Act III below MP2 should be easier than Act III before.

You're correct about item lvl/affix lvl/monster lvl, but it means that even MP0 Act I monsters drop the same things as in the other acts and MP levels. As I understand it, starting from MP 0, the MP level only affects the quantity of rares you'll get, not the quality of each.
Bertrand Russell wrote:Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Richard Feynman & many others wrote:Keep an open mind – but not so open that your brain falls out

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:55 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:They said that Act III 1.0.4 was about equivalent to Act III 1.0.5 with MP 2-3, so playing Act III below MP2 should be easier than Act III before.

Its definitely easier but I was wondering about drop conditions and such.

You're correct about item lvl/affix lvl/monster lvl, but it means that even MP0 Act I monsters drop the same things as in the other acts and MP levels. As I understand it, starting from MP 0, the MP level only affects the quantity of rares you'll get, not the quality of each.

Do you mean MP1 instead of MP0? Because MP0 means no monster power enabled. As such Act 1 monsters are back to level 61, not 63, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

mfb

Postby mfb » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

With MP0 and in act 1 and 2, most rares will get affixes up to 61 / 62 only, respectively. Just the ilvl63-items will be able to spawn the best affixes.
With MP1+ or in act 3, all monsters are level 63 and all dropped items can get all affixes.

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:36 pm UTC

My bad, MP1 it is.
The difficulty with no MP is slightly nerfed and the maximum affixes will depend on the monster level, so lvl 61 in Act 1 and 62 in act 2, and even the lvl 63 items won't be able to have the best affixes.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:06 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:My bad, MP1 it is.
The difficulty with no MP is slightly nerfed and the maximum affixes will depend on the monster level, so lvl 61 in Act 1 and 62 in act 2, and even the lvl 63 items won't be able to have the best affixes.

Hmm where's this info from? The only notes blizzard has mentioned (and from what I've read on forums) seems to indicate the affixes are based solely on monster level. So a MP10 act 1 monster is 63 and produces the same affixes as a MP0 act 3(or 4) monster since they too are level 63. If that's NOT the case, I'm going to have to change my farming method a bit I think.

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

Isn't that what I just said? :?

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:49 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:Isn't that what I just said? :?

Gah I'm an idiot. I read the last phrase as implying even the level 63 mobs (not items) couldn't drop the best affixes in MP0. My mistake.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

you can get ilevel 61 and 62 items in act 3 hell. It's not like you have to have MP10 to get gear worth money. Lots of 62 rares, particularly jewelry and gloves, go for big money. Act 1 inferno offers a small chance of 63's. The chance improves in act 2 and then in act 3. Monster power mostly raises your MF/GF in exchange for giving the enemy more HP and damage. It has two other benefits, it raises the monster levels to the same as act 3 inferno, making it reasonable to farm in all acts now. It also is tied to the key and ring piece droprates.

All unidentified rares of the same ilevel and item type have the same chances of being good regardless of where they dropped. This is coming up because they changed the way items roll in 1.0.5, they can now roll mods higher level than the items requirements. This is not because you're playing with monster power, it's because all ilevel 59 and 60 items have a chance to roll higher ilevel mods (it even raises their level requirement to 60 when they do). So if you see an ilevel 58 item with a 60 requirement, it's by definition a 1.0.5 item. If you see some ilevel 61 gloves with 61+ all res, also 1.0.5+ item. Those things didn't happen before this patch. They now have a chance to happen, regardless of what level or difficulty dropped the item. ilevel 63 items were completely unchanged in this patch. Also of note, rings and amulets can roll with higher MF, there are a couple new uniques that they forgot to put in the last patch, and a couple other mod tweaks (you can get mroe than 300 strength on a shield now for example).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

I've played maybe 4 hrs since 1.0.5 came out, and have upped my dps by about 8k, but I'm rocking a Thorns-pet build for my WD. It's still a blast. Go forth minions!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:46 pm UTC

I sold a set WD carving knife and bought myself Zuni's boots and ring for my Wizard which was an increase of something like 16k dps. I can run MP5 for keys but its SUPER slow even with 110k dps (non CM wizard since I hate all the button spamming that goes with it). Running MP3 with a MM-Seeker/Arcane Orb-Celestial Orb/Arcane Hydra build goes fairly quick and I've gotten 3 of the Act 1 keys, 3 of the Act 2 keys and 2 Act 3 Keys at the moment. Still have to go farm the Act 4 plan.

For general farming I've found it far more efficient to just run an Archon build on MP1 in act 3 going: Arreat Core->Keep level 3 (kill the unique near the WP)->Tower level 1->Arreat crater level 2->Keep level 2->Keep level 3 (clear) -> Bridge of Kosilek(sp?)->Stonefort (until I find and kill the keywarden). That run can take about 20 min if I'm going very fast and don't drop archon too often. Gets about 1.5 to 2 full inventories worth of gear running it at base 200 MF. I really do need to get a Hellfire ring to increase my leveling speed though. Im thinking of making 3 machines and seeing if I can get in on a high MP run of the uber bosses since I suspect I won't be able to kill them alone at high MP level. Anyone have any experience fighting them solo?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:33 pm UTC

I think it's sort of funny that Hellfire rings are so end game, and would help so much for getting a Hellfire ring. At least they're somewhat transferable. Somewhat. Ish.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:42 pm UTC

Well they CAN help get another Hellfire ring, but a good trifecta ring is probably FAR easier to obtain. I may have to give in and try a CM wizard spec so I can try to farm the high MPs to make a good ring, since farming them at low MPs is absurdly long and time consuming.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:26 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I think it's sort of funny that Hellfire rings are so end game, and would help so much for getting a Hellfire ring. At least they're somewhat transferable. Somewhat. Ish.

I don't think you get it. The hellfire ring is intended for people who intend to play well into the paragon levels. It's mod is to cut down the time substantially it takes to get to 100 paragon (or even 50, which takes a long while). If you're thinking you just got through act 4 inferno for the first time and you would love a hellfire ring, it'd be a waste. You probably have much more important gear needs than a ring with unpredictable mods that's time consuming to obtain. You could probably buy a ring that would help you more with XP per hour than the 35% on the hellfire ring because for most of the folks that have the ring, it's a downgrade in terms of offense and defense. It makes higher paragon levels less of a pain. If you aren't blowing through entire acts of inferno a day, you probably don't even want one. You haven't reached "end game" yet.

I would say Diablo 3 has the following stages:
1) Experiencing the plot, exposure to the gameplay mechanics. A single player game type playthrough
2) leveling a character
3) understanding the gear, using the auction house, and leveraging it to beat inferno
4) grinding for loot
5) having great loot, grinding paragon levels. Perfecting each piece.

Hellfire rings are definitely for people in group 5, not group 4. The 4 random mods are often terrible. You probably have to roll 20 of them to get something that would sell for a million in the AH as a rare without it's 35% XP mod. Step 4 you need to deal more damage, take more damage, and you're farming for loot to sell to get you there. Step 5, you'd pay millions of gold for a paragon level if you could. For step 5, the ring is a must.

Most folks who buy the game do 3. 4 takes a couple hundred hours probably. Most people logged in are in group 4. 5 is filled with players who play daily for significant time. Most of the hours played are going to be by a small group of 5's.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:03 pm UTC

Hmm, interesting. Approximately what Paragon level would you say most people who have ground out multiple Hellfire rings are?

mfb

Postby mfb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

jules.LT wrote:The difficulty with no MP is slightly nerfed and the maximum affixes will depend on the monster level, so lvl 61 in Act 1 and 62 in act 2, and even the lvl 63 items won't be able to have the best affixes.

They depend on monster level AND item level (more precise, on max(mlvl,ilvl)). You can find the best items in act 1 with MP0, but chances are bad as you need 63-baseitems, which are rare with those settings.
MP 1 for act1+2 and MP 0 for act 3 are fine, if you have so much damage that running time becomes important (>100k dps), higher MP levels can be better. For the infernal machine, go for the highest MP you can handle.

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Hmm, interesting. Approximately what Paragon level would you say most people who have ground out multiple Hellfire rings are?

multiple? I'd say 30. Keep in mind that the XP requirements for paragon levels skyrocket. grinding 30-40 is probably about the same as 1-30. When you see an 85 running around, it's an astronomical number of monster kills. I'm sure if you talked to him, he'd happily pay 20 million gold per paragon level if he could. He's probably running a hellfire ring and has another ring in his stash that would add 10k DPS over his hellfire.

Return to “Gaming”