Diablo III

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:23 pm UTC

So the primary point of the hellfire ring (or two) is the +35% bonus to xp?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:So the primary point of the hellfire ring (or two) is the +35% bonus to xp?

I'm pretty sure you can only wear one at a time.

The 35% xp and the hellfire blast are the guarantees, along with a large amount of a primary stat. The rings CAN be the best available rings, but you'd need to roll one with crit/crit damage/attack speed for it to occur.

While there are likely better rare rings around, they're also extremely expensive. Since you guarantee the high primary stat on the ring, they can be a sort of guaranteed way of getting something good from your grinding, since just farming rares won't necessarily get you anything if you're unlucky.

They're also good for alts since there's no level req on them from my understanding. The hellfire blast does a ton of damage and 200 of a primary stat at level 1 is a pretty huge boost, not to mention the 35% xp thing.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

Hellfire blast damage was nerfed pretty hard before it was released so the damage it does is fairly negligible - at least in Inferno. Perhaps for lowbie leveling, it might be rather nice. I've not used it that way yet.

The main point is the 35% exp (and you can put one on your follower too for added exp). However, as was mentioned, if you got one with double attack stats or better, it'd be better than 80% of what you can buy on the market.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:06 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Hellfire blast damage was nerfed pretty hard before it was released so the damage it does is fairly negligible - at least in Inferno. Perhaps for lowbie leveling, it might be rather nice. I've not used it that way yet.

The main point is the 35% exp (and you can put one on your follower too for added exp). However, as was mentioned, if you got one with double attack stats or better, it'd be better than 80% of what you can buy on the market.

Not having made my ring yet (3 machines waiting though), I had read the hellfire blast was still around 25k damage. While yes that can be kinda low for high end inferno, its a TON of damage for anything not inferno, and depending on proc rate, can still add up since it is AOE as well. I had thought I recalled seeing something like 100k pre-nerf so thats why I assumed the 25k is post-nerf. Is that number not correct?

Also from followers, are +XP/MF/GF the only things that carry over? Or are there other things as well?

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

follower bonus mods carry over at a fractional rate.

I dispute profusely that the hellfire ring is any good offensively/defensively. You can pick your 4 mods out of a hat if you like but that's first of all ridiculous and second of all doesn't give a fair comparison to other rings. Rare rings spawn 6 mods which can include big attributes. You also have to remember that there are lots of useful unique and set rings as well. Unless you get extremely lucky, you're going to have a better ring than the hellfire minus the bonus xp.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:55 pm UTC

Infernal Machine was introduced in 1.0.5 though right? Didn't people make it to Paragon 100 first?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

Yep. There were lots of paragon 100's before 1.0.5. Including one in hardcore.

The one nice thing about a Hellfire ring is that you're guaranteed a particular stat, and a fair amount of it too. 170-200 of a selected stat is pretty good on a ring. You're right about rare rings being better ultimately. I'm beginning to question the constant running of <mp10 ubers over farming runs though. It seems like an awful lot of work to random roll a ring that may or may not be trash (and most of the time is). Once you have one that's serviceable for exp runs, farm stuff till you get drops that you can use/sell and buy rings that are really good.

Having said that, if you're like me and midway through Paragon levels, you're gonna be using this darn ring a really long time, unless you just want to discard that 35% exp (I don't). So it may be worth it to get one that's good. It's hard to say.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

I'm currently running a thorns pet build on my wd. Any idea how it hold up through the mp levels? I hear around 5 is starts falling apart.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:19 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm currently running a thorns pet build on my wd. Any idea how it hold up through the mp levels? I hear around 5 is starts falling apart.

I'm amazed Thorns can get you that far. It sounds like it'd be fun to see. Hopefully they find a way to make Thorns damage not awful for most builds.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:18 pm UTC

I was hoping that Thorns would be tied to your attack (or maybe primary stat) but nope.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:47 pm UTC

Aside from keys/organs I can't see a real use for farming the higher MP levels. I see tons of posts on forums saying they kill "just as fast" and honestly I just can't believe it. You gain a chunk of MF/GF and chance at extra drops but the increase in HP is just absurd. I can BREEZE through Act 3 MP0-1 (150k dps) but I already notice a difference going to MP2 or MP3. I can't imagine going up to MP6-7 as I see some people post can be efficient unless you're running something crazy like 500k dps.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:45 pm UTC

For farming legendaries, MP1-MP2 is where it's at.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

Wait, is the only difference between the MP levels the probability of dropping a key? Surely the higher MP levels have a higher rate of drops, no?

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:18 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Aside from keys/organs I can't see a real use for farming the higher MP levels. I see tons of posts on forums saying they kill "just as fast" and honestly I just can't believe it. You gain a chunk of MF/GF and chance at extra drops but the increase in HP is just absurd. I can BREEZE through Act 3 MP0-1 (150k dps) but I already notice a difference going to MP2 or MP3. I can't imagine going up to MP6-7 as I see some people post can be efficient unless you're running something crazy like 500k dps.

Izawwlgood wrote:Wait, is the only difference between the MP levels the probability of dropping a key? Surely the higher MP levels have a higher rate of drops, no?

Higher MP levels do have higher drop rates. They also have exponentially higher monster health. So most people have found that using lower, easily farmed MP levels is much better for raw drops and experience per hour. I expect Blizzard to rebalance this to make higher MP levels more valuable without inflating the built-in magic find too far.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:48 pm UTC

Carlomagno wrote:Higher MP levels do have higher drop rates. They also have exponentially higher monster health. So most people have found that using lower, easily farmed MP levels is much better for raw drops and experience per hour. I expect Blizzard to rebalance this to make higher MP levels more valuable without inflating the built-in magic find too far.

The only higher drop rate though is via the extra MF and the chance of bonus item drop (though only from white mobs apparently).

I also don't think they really need to buff the MP levels much. There is something to be gained from running at high MPs efficiently, if you can manage. I saw a post on Diablofans with a Wizard sporting something like 700k dps. I presume that with such high DPS they can run efficiently at the higher MP levels, and thus they gain extra MF/GF/XP and the chance at bonus drops. I assume they want to allow people to keep getting better gear and having a point to doing it. Right now I can farm MP5 without dying but its hardly efficient. But if I picked up a Witching Hour belt and a set of trifecta gloves along with other upgrades, maybe I could get to the point where I could farm it more efficiently.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

I know a few of the best guys out there. They have basically incorporated keys into their regular farming so they keep the MP high just for that. It doesn't slow them down as much as you think. At mp5 they may take 50% longer time but they do get some additional MF and XP for it so they're not too much slower in the drops and XP per hour rates. There are folks with far less DPS who would take far longer to do an MP5 run, even if they could stay alive. The best guys I know run MP6 keys over and over. They run it for xp, for drops, for keys, everything. Then they run like mp8 ubers.

My barb, I run MP4 and basically get 5 stacks, try for a key, kill a boss or two and restart maybe a different act to keep things fresh. If I was farming for xp/gear only I'd probably do MP3 now. I do enough damage where MP1 or 2 just doesn't give me enough time to charge up my berserker. I kill the champion in 15 seconds at MP3 and probably 1/3 or 2/3 of the elite. When I do ubers, it's MP6 but I'll try to find some high DPS class to play behind me. Probably have to do MP5 if I was by myself. My DH is about 80k DPS 40k hp 3k armor and 300 all res (old natalya's set too), plays mostly MP2 on it's own. If I'm in a larger group it works fine at MP4 or 5. Never tried using it on ubers.

So MP1/2/3 are great for people who are not trying to raise their paragon levels as a primary task. For those who are, they'll incorporate keys into their regular runs (hence higher MP) to try and upgrade the unremovable hellfire ring from their gear with a slightly better one. These people also have headpieces socketed with very expensive red gems. Since guys with uber gear are so often after paragon levels, they often play at higher monster power levels.

Have I seen people play at 10? No. I know a barb who can solo mp9 but it's a waste of time. It's not like they give you two keys or something. I can't even see somebody doing MP10 for ubers even if they could tank the damage. The drop chance isn't worth the hitpoints.

Izawwlgood wrote:Wait, is the only difference between the MP levels the probability of dropping a key? Surely the higher MP levels have a higher rate of drops, no?

small bonus in xp/gf/mf as you go up in MP levels. I think 25% in each per, I forget exactly.
Last edited by mosc on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

Presumably the system will be utilized for future releases though? And does MP influence the rolls on items?

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

MP does not influence the rolls on items. Nothing does. Any identification results in the same probability of any other item of the same type and ilevel.

I am worried about an expansion to diablo as it relates to the level 60 cap and gear values. I am less worried about paragon levels.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm UTC

mosc wrote:MP does not influence the rolls on items. Nothing does. Any identification results in the same probability of any other item of the same type and ilevel.

I am worried about an expansion to diablo as it relates to the level 60 cap and gear values. I am less worried about paragon levels.

I don't think they said they were raising the level cap (at least when it was initially mentioned). D2 never did with its expansion and it worked fine I think.

I'm surprised farming keys/ubers is a good way to gain XP. Run's through Act 3 with extremely high mob density on lower MPs is FAR more efficient at least from any runs I've done. At MP1-2 without a hellfire ring (but with a star ruby in helm) its around 7-8 million xp per Alkaizer run in Act 3 and that takes about 15 min if you include picking up and identifying most rares that drop (no 2 handers except 63 bows/xbows, quivers, ilvl <60 weapons/shields/offhands). I imagine not picking up any rares would cut that down to about 10-12 minutes. There was a post on Diablofans where someone put together a Wizard archon build that was getting ~30 million xp/hour for something like 1.2-1.4 million gold.

Is running ubers/key runs actually better than that?

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:41 pm UTC

No, no it's not. But doing what you say does not give you new hellfire rings. And focusing your runs on getting keys does not reduce the xp per hour very much for characters with high dps. It does reduce it, but the gain is chances at new hellfire rings and some added variety in farming locations (3 or 4 paths instead of 1)

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:11 pm UTC

mosc wrote:No, no it's not. But doing what you say does not give you new hellfire rings. And focusing your runs on getting keys does not reduce the xp per hour very much for characters with high dps. It does reduce it, but the gain is chances at new hellfire rings and some added variety in farming locations (3 or 4 paths instead of 1)

Ok that makes sense. On the rings, I know you can open all 3 gates in one game, but if I just open 1 gate with a machine will it be a pure random one? Or do they always open in order? I'm only missing one organ and have 2 machines left. I suspect I'll just join a game with at least 2 other machines and try for all 3 again, but was just curious about it in case I should try soloing one to get that last organ.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:19 pm UTC

It opens one of the three portals in a random order. Because of this you generally want all three so you at least get a chance at each part you need. If, for example, everybody needed just a spine and had 4+ machines, if the first portal opened on the left they might consider leaving the game after doing that uber. Generally people wouldn't because they'd have to get 5 stacks again, but you get the idea.

PM me your email guys, I'll add you to my list.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

So am I reading the notes for monster power right that as long as you have MP1 or higher, it doesn't matter which act you play in Inferno, that the drop rates are the same?

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:So am I reading the notes for monster power right that as long as you have MP1 or higher, it doesn't matter which act you play in Inferno, that the drop rates are the same?

Essentially. Affixes are based on the monster that drops the items instead of the ilvl of the item now. Since setting MP1 sets all monsters to level 63 all monster drops can have the same affixes.

I'm not sure how the actual difficulty of each monster changes per act though. I suspect with all of them at the same level, their relative difficulty is the same. I.e., a skeleton in Act 1 is the same as a skeleton in Act 3 as long as the MP level is the same.

In terms of farming for XP/items I find act 3 is the best due to the very dense nature of some of the zones. I'm running Core of Arreat->Tower of the Damned 1->Arreat Crater 2->Arreat Crater 1-> Rakkis crossing all the way back to the bridge waypoint->Depths level 1->Stonefort (if I want to try the keywarden). If I hit a dead end that requires a long backtrack I just teleport out and go to the next zone. On MP1 the runs take ~20-25 min and seem to earn roughly 10-15 million XP (with a hellfire ring and 21% gem in helm).

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

Yes, monster power has the very much intended benefit of opening up acts 1 and 2 for engame farming by making the drops the same in any act. Though since each machine does not require an act 4 key, act 4 continues to be ignored for farming. Act 4 is more a challenge or a measuring stick than a farming area. Though you will need to drop the infernal machine plans from the act 4 guy once (not an easy task for lesser geared players).

You need to develop both an act 3 and act 2 farming run to ensure you get both sets of keys. Act 1 keys are usually gotten by doing uber runs. Since the MP is usually jacked for the ubers, you have a far better chance of getting the key in act 1 when you actually do an uber run.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 pm UTC

I honestly hate running act 2 as a wizard (those invisible snakes suck). I normally pump the MP to 4 or 5 and then run: Road to Alcarnus->Black Canyon mines->Oasis when trying for the Act 2 key. Road gives 1-2 elites, Mines another 1 sometimes 2. Then searching through the Oasis for the stupid keymaster usually gets you the other 2 you need. At MP4-5 best time I've had making a machine is probably on the order of 1 hour. Usually closer to 1.5 hours.

I wish there were a way to trade the organs or at least exchange them. I currently have 2 eyes, 2 fangs but and no spines. Kind of frustrating especially since you can't choose which bosses to summon.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:57 pm UTC

Finally got back into the game. I've been slowly gearing up my wizard, DH, and monk with some good rares and legendaries I've found (which itself is a nice change, finally finding useful gear). The paragon leveling system is interesting, though I'm curious how that will be handled if they ever introduce PvP. My DH is only plvl 6 right now, but the mf boost is pretty good.

Trying to twerk my builds for my characters now to get the most effective ones with the changes from 1.0.5. I ended up blowing what little gold I had on some good amulet and ring upgrades for my wizard, so now he can effectively farm a1 and most of a2 without too much trouble. Though I'm struggling to find a good build for him. With 41% crit chance I've been running a CM/Archon hybrid build, and it's loads of fun but I don't have a reliable escape with Teleport. CM just doesn't seem to proc as often as I'm getting crits for some reason, and that usually results in my running away when I come across any of the higher-health elite packs. Maybe I'll swap out the Magic Weapon rune to get some life leech?

I think I like the grenadier/cluster bomb build for the DH, it's working out effectively as long as I have hatred. I'll need to pick up some more regen for that, however, to be able to get much better with it. It's slowing me down a lot to have to spam grenades to regen some hatred every time I come across an elite pack.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:08 pm UTC

What spell are you using with CM to refresh Archon? Something like Wicked Wind or Living Lightning is ideal, and even those still only have coefficients of about 0.2 or so. Overall, for Archon to be efficient at low monster power you need pretty high DPS. If your DPS is low I'd actually suggest an old school blizzard/hydra kiting build. Piercing Orb/Blizzard/Arcane Hydra is still very effective (possibly more effective depending on how long you had stopped playing for. Hydra got a HUGE buff). Illusionist appears to work with Archon teleport so that definitely helps with a defensive skill in Archon form.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:13 pm UTC

Disintegrate with Chaos Nexus rune. My wizard is around 42k buffed DPS right now according to the character sheet, but several pieces of his gear are still ilvl54 or lower. Once I replace those two or three pieces I can probably eek out another 5 or 6k. I was using the blizzard/hydra build before, and it's still effective, but I just wanted to try something different.
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:22 pm UTC

I'm using Disintegrate and Chaos Nexus on my Archon build now, but I dropped critical mass since Archon is fairly easy to keep up in Act 3. Thing is, even with critical mass, Disintegrate didn't seem to trigger it all that often. I don't know how fast Disintegrate ticks but it seems to be a lot slower than Wicked Wind which meant less crits and less critical mass. The coefficient for Chaos nexus isn't high either I don't think, somewhere around 0.125 or 0.15 maybe. I find Archon is not especially great if you can't constantly keep it running and on MP0 Act 3, I think its roughly 75k-80k dps to have a good chance of being almost permanently in Archon form. What other passives are you using? Maybe dropping critical mass for something else would provide more benefit.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:49 pm UTC

Galvanizing Wind is one passive (since I use storm armor with the AP cost reduction), and I believe the other passive is the one that adds AP and AP regen, plus CM. I'll have to check when I get home.

Familiar with Sparkflint, Magic Weapon with the increased damage, Storm Armor with AP cost reduction, and Teleport with Fracture are my support abilities, with Disintegrate/Chaos Nexus and Archon/Teleport is the setup I am using right now. I might jump back to hydra + blizzard even though I'm tired of it if it turns out I'm dying too often.

Edit: Third passive is Glass Cannon, my bad.
Last edited by Obby on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The story so far:

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:15 pm UTC

I'm having a hard time progressing past act III on my monk... I was real pissed the other day when I looked at my friend's Demon Hunter and he had some blues equipped and almost triple my DPS. His DH's equipment was worth maybe 250k gold, I have roughly 20 million into my monk.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:51 pm UTC

Obby wrote:Galvanizing Wind is one passive (since I use storm armor with the AP cost reduction), and I believe the other passive is the one that adds AP and AP regen, plus CM. I'll have to check when I get home.

Familiar with Sparkflint, Magic Weapon with the increased damage, Storm Armor with AP cost reduction, and Teleport with Fracture are my support abilities, with Disintegrate/Chaos Nexus and Archon/Teleport is the setup I am using right now. I might jump back to hydra + blizzard even though I'm tired of it if it turns out I'm dying too often.

This is a pretty standard setup for a permanent Archon wiz, except for the Disintegrate part. Your damage is probably a bit low for Archon to be efficient. Hit 70k and MP0 act 3 is doable. I've found Archon to be pretty sub-par elsewhere. You need to mob density of act 3 for it to really be able to stay up continuously. Also if you're dying too often in Archon form I really suggest the Teleport rune and the Illusionist passive. It helps survivability a ton and illusionist helps both in and out of Archon since you have teleport in both.

Metaphysician wrote:I'm having a hard time progressing past act III on my monk... I was real pissed the other day when I looked at my friend's Demon Hunter and he had some blues equipped and almost triple my DPS. His DH's equipment was worth maybe 250k gold, I have roughly 20 million into my monk.

Sharpshooter on a DH dramatically increases sheet DPS so that could be a factor if you're just inspecting him. Also I can't imagine that's 20 million in current gear value. Don't go for perfect gear that's absurdly expensive. I geared up a barb recently for very cheap just leaving off one or two affixes from each piece of gear and/or lowering the main stat values on them and it dramatically dropped the price. If you're struggling to beat an act look for pieces of gear with ~100 or less of your main stat and vit with the appropriate off stats.

Ex: Gloves: Crit chance, Crit damage, ~80 main stat, 80 vit. Something like this is likely around 100k or less to buy. You could probably replace vit with all res of about 60 and get the same price.

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:28 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Obby wrote:Galvanizing Wind is one passive (since I use storm armor with the AP cost reduction), and I believe the other passive is the one that adds AP and AP regen, plus CM. I'll have to check when I get home.

This is a pretty standard setup for a permanent Archon wiz, except for the Disintegrate part. Your damage is probably a bit low for Archon to be efficient. Hit 70k and MP0 act 3 is doable. I've found Archon to be pretty sub-par elsewhere. You need to mob density of act 3 for it to really be able to stay up continuously. Also if you're dying too often in Archon form I really suggest the Teleport rune and the Illusionist passive. It helps survivability a ton and illusionist helps both in and out of Archon since you have teleport in both.

I upgraded a couple more pieces on my Wizard last night, so now my buffed damage is around 60k, which is nice. I think I may have been dying because I wasn't used to the play style, I'm pretty easily clearing a3 mp0 right now without too much trouble. Managed to have a 10 minute run of constant Archon :D

I'll have to check out Illusionist though, I'm just using Fracture as the teleport rune to take the heat off of me so I can damage for a few seconds without getting pounded on.
The story so far:

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

Obby wrote:I upgraded a couple more pieces on my Wizard last night, so now my buffed damage is around 60k, which is nice. I think I may have been dying because I wasn't used to the play style, I'm pretty easily clearing a3 mp0 right now without too much trouble. Managed to have a 10 minute run of constant Archon :D

I'll have to check out Illusionist though, I'm just using Fracture as the teleport rune to take the heat off of me so I can damage for a few seconds without getting pounded on.

For Act 3 getting up to 5 stacks of valor (Core of Arreat, Tower of the Damned 1, Depths level 3) then doing: Arreat Crater 2, Arreat Crater 1, Rakkis crossing up to the bridge waypoint, then Depths 2, Stonefort (if you want the keywarden) seems to be a very solid run for an Archon build. All of those zones allow for big mobs of creatures to extend your Archon run. The key is knowing when to go into Archon form combined with managing your armor/magic weapon buff. With Galvanizing Ward, if your armor is more than half done its timer you know Archon will be up. So in that case, it can be beneficial to click off Archon, refresh armor/magic weapon and re-enable Archon right before hitting a big pack of mobs. Doing the above run, I don't use Archon in Core of Arreat but can keep it running throughout the entire rest of the run assuming I don't die. Once you can do that consistently your exp and item farming becomes incredibly efficient, even at MP0.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:35 pm UTC

Metaphysician wrote:I'm having a hard time progressing past act III on my monk... I was real pissed the other day when I looked at my friend's Demon Hunter and he had some blues equipped and almost triple my DPS. His DH's equipment was worth maybe 250k gold, I have roughly 20 million into my monk.

You also probably aren't one-shotted.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:31 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:

You also probably aren't one-shotted.

No, but monks are melee, demon hunters are built to kite. Anyway, I've finally made it past Keep Depths without much trouble and I only died twice today due to a major realization I had yesterday, I was dying most often to golds with reflect damage minions (reflect damage and extra health is really brutal)... the other death was against a gold (pretty easy gold) and a champ elite pack and the champ elite pack was a jailer+arcane+desecration+molten. I also realized that what I keep forgetting is that the monk has a pretty insane amount of hidden dps. Between Sweeping Wind with Cyclone+Damage Aura spam+Breath of Heaven+Won-Kim-Lau (Even a poor dps WKL with 750 dps but good extra dmg stats deals a lot more damage than many higher dps weapons). Seems like the only things I really have to worry about killing me right now are double pulls and reflect dmg packs (but against reflect damage I can kite and I just have to focus my dmg output and not utilize by aoe as much until a couple mobs are gone).
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 am UTC

So I just started playing again. 300k let me double my dps for no loss anywhere else, things have really come down (not surprisingly).

I'm relatively broke, 25k dps monk that can handle mp1 act 1 easily enough. What should I be doing to progress? Just farm a1 mp1 for the time?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 am UTC

mike-l wrote:So I just started playing again. 300k let me double my dps for no loss anywhere else, things have really come down (not surprisingly).

I'm relatively broke, 25k dps monk that can handle mp1 act 1 easily enough. What should I be doing to progress? Just farm a1 mp1 for the time?

I did act 2 with 25k dps no problem and found farming Vault of Assassins to be one of the better ways to make some dough and such until I was able to put together enough gear to take down act three. I am now in Act IV with around 45k base dps and motoring along pretty well.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:54 pm UTC

Act 3 MP0 seems easier than Act 1 MP1 to me. You don't get the boost in MF/GF/XP for the MP level but the hoards of creatures in act 3 let you kill many more monsters which is better for xp and drops. Since Act 3 monsters are level 63 even at MP0 the quality of drops won't change between that and MP1.

Return to “Gaming”