Diablo III

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: Diablo III

Postby Xeio » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Chen wrote:The AH was. People complained that it was TOO efficient at trading. And it was. It was simpler to scan the AH for marginal upgrades than to even bother farming in a lot of cases.
That's nonsense. If there was a complaint it was that drop rates were balanced around assuming that you would use the AH to gear up.

If an economy breaks the game, then there is something wrong with the game, not the market.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Nothing nonsensical about it. There was more gold per hour playing the AH than actually playing the game. As Will mentioned, the number of quality drops will be increasing (less crappy drops/noise, too, from what I can read of the blog post) so that valid complaint is getting addressed simultaneously.

When the AH was first just a sparkle in Bizz's eye I was for it... but its implementation caused more problems than it fixed, imo.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

I don't understand how removing the AH will fix this though; they're adjusting the loot tables, so, why also remove the AH?

If it was more profitable to play the AH (I don't understand how that can be; where was the gold coming from?) than the game, that's a loot and gold drop issue, not an AH issue.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

I don't understand how that can be;

Being a dirty item flipper.

Someone's eager for quick cash and cba to put something up for its real value (due to the 10 item limit and wanting to rush through their stock or something). I buy it, sell it for more than I bought it for (plus blizzard commission) and voila. By keeping an eye out for about-to-expire auctions and sniping and combing through the AH, I made more money per time doing than messing with NV stacked runnings; those only occurred when I was filled up on items or out of capital.

Can't say this is the case anymore, but it certainly was when I got bored with it.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

Power trading is nothing new and is certainly not unique to D3.
So long as a trading mechanism exists, power trading will survive the death of the AH.

philsov wrote:Being a dirty item flipper.

It's not even a bad thing.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:20 am UTC

And just suggests that the AH mechanics need fixing.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:22 am UTC

No, I don't think it does.
Item flipping for profit is a good thing. It stabilises prices, pushing them to their long term value. The only negative is that people think people making money from it is a bad thing, but I don't think anything bad has actually ever come from such concentrations of wealth (the most expensive things reach their "true" value earlier I guess).

My memory was that D3 suffered from a terrible reward system (go go gadget RNG); only a handful of items actually had value and the rest was worthless junk.
I don't think anything was inherently wrong with Auction House itself (although I think they handled the real money side badly).
But a lot of design decisions were made around the AH, I think a lot of them were bad.

But I'd have to play again for a bit to pass judgment now, and I have no interest in playing D3.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:52 am UTC

Xeio wrote:If an economy breaks the game, then there is something wrong with the game, not the market.

This is not true. People lack self-control. You can tell people every day "if you don't like, just don't use it", but it comes down to the fact that requires more self-control than many people have. Why bother searching for the ideal weapon when I can put the stats into the AH and just buy it with the gold I have saved up? The sheer efficiency of the AH overwhelmed the drops. I'm fairly sure its a law of large numbers thing. If the chance of getting a specific sword is 1/1000 the chance you see it drop is miniscule. But with hundreds of thousands of people playing and killing things, there's going to be a fair number on the AH at any given time.

People say "increase the drop rate" but all that does it push the ceiling higher. Looking at 1 handed weapons, I'd imagine there are weapons in the top 95% percentile that are selling for less than a million gold. Extremely rare (looking at individual probabilities) items are selling for quite cheap. Playing the game for self-drops when looking at the extreme high end can make sense (ignoring the flipping option at the moment). But anything less than the extreme high end is pointless. I can pick up a weapon on the AH for a couple hundred k gold that is probably going to be better than anything I find for a solid month of grinding. You'd have to change the drop rate so dramatically that any weapon that dropped would have to be so minor a difference in dps that it would be worth running around waiting for a drop rather than going to the AH to find it. And even then it would only work if people stopped bothering to post things on the AH for cheap prices.

It seems counter-intuitive, but making trading less efficient will remove some of this. People won't bother going to trade chat/forums for random items worth a couple hundred k gold. The extremely commonplace items (now) will not be worth the effort of trying to find a trade partner for. At which point increasing the drop rate CAN make more sense. You won't have as large a pressure to push the ceiling up due to the inefficacy of trading lower value goods.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

Chen wrote:People won't bother going to trade chat/forums for random items worth a couple hundred k gold.
All this does is moves the goal posts; those items were worth a couple hundred k gold on the AH, because they were easy to trade and better items were easily visible. If you remove the ease of trading, all you do is artificially inflate the prices of everything, because you've reduced market liquidity.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:All this does is moves the goal posts; those items were worth a couple hundred k gold on the AH, because they were easy to trade and better items were easily visible. If you remove the ease of trading, all you do is artificially inflate the prices of everything, because you've reduced market liquidity.

The point was more you're going to remove supply of goods, because people won't generally sell every little thing they find. Especially now that you can cancel auctions, there's almost 0 cost to putting something on the AH until you've used up all your 10 slots.

It will reduce the total amount of trading, don't get me wrong. Trading will remain on high end, sought after goods, just like in D2. The lower tier stuff (regular rare weapons or the like) will be much less common in trade. Whether it works on not depends on if you'll feel this loss or not. Consider leveling a new character now. You might buy a good socketed weapon off the AH (maybe with reduced level reqs even) since this really adds to killing power. But, anecdotally, you generally don't buy much in terms of other pieces of equipment since you replace them so quickly compared to the cost of them. I suspect this is what they're aiming to do even once you hit 60. They want to be throwing you enough gear to feel your progressing without needing to see the AH. Unfortunately that didn't work due to the sheer volume on the AH. So they figured they'd remove that to cut the bottom off those lower end trades by making them more difficult to process. It might also further influence people to start destroying gear for crafting mats since again buying/selling commodities will be more difficult.

I think the felt that even if they increased the drop rates via Loot 2.0, if they kept the AH in place, people still wouldn't get the change they wanted (they increased drop rates before and I guess AH behavior didn't really change except for moving the higher end higher up). I'm cautiously optimistic about the change combined with the Loot 2.0 changes.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

I think a better solution would have been to increase the utility of junk items. Make consumable buffs whose mats are procured from scrapping items. Make wardrobe pieces or fluff stuff like pets.

The problem wasn't that junk items had no use, as leveling characters or poorer characters would benefit from them, it was that there were too many of them. If you had a better item, a junk item was only worth the gold you could maybe wring out of it in the AH.

I understand that they wanted to avoid people spending more time in the AH than in game (a sensible goal!), but I feel the AH still served a very necessary function, that is, facilitating trade in the community and making finding an epic uber awesome item for a different class still a fun endeavor. I basically played D1 and D2 as single player games, and strongly feel Blizzard should do everything it can to increase multiplayer, rather than decrease it.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I think a better solution would have been to increase the utility of junk items. Make consumable buffs whose mats are procured from scrapping items. Make wardrobe pieces or fluff stuff like pets.

For what it's worth, they're planning on making white items be crafting reagents and blue items good for cosmetic item transmutation in RoS.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:32 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I understand that they wanted to avoid people spending more time in the AH than in game (a sensible goal!), but I feel the AH still served a very necessary function, that is, facilitating trade in the community and making finding an epic uber awesome item for a different class still a fun endeavor. I basically played D1 and D2 as single player games, and strongly feel Blizzard should do everything it can to increase multiplayer, rather than decrease it.

I think the problem was the AH actually removed player interaction rather than added to it. Most people wouldn't seek out others to trade or the like, they'd use the faceless AH. Seems like requiring people to make trade games/trade channels etc would increase interaction. I do recall enjoying browsing what people had to trade in D2 trading games for at least some game time. They need to strike a good balance between that and making it too tedious to really find what you want.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Item speculation provides liquidity. People effectively hoard goods with the expressed purpose of re-listing them so that the more casual seller gets his money and gets out. The hardcore seller provides a much more dependable source of items. Sorry, this is just basic economics. The more speculation, the more trading volume. In a commodity based market like D3, the more speculation, the more item variety and price competition. Item speculation is regulated with the trading commission. Small commissions promote it, larger commissions are detractors. If you want to reduce "dirty item flippers" you substantially raise blizzard's rake. 50% aught to do wonders. I just created a wonderful gold sync too, yay inflation reduction! People listing things and taking them down? Gold price per listing. 10% anyone?

Blizzard created a system in D3 where items exist on a very VERY wide spectrum. How much damage, how much crit damage, how much primary attribute. I haven't even talked about the life gaining or other side benefits a weapon can give, just calculating which gives more damage gives several axis of complexity. In D2, uniques rarely had random properties and damage ranges were small. They were fairly interchangeable in purpose. This lead to commodity based pricing. D3 doesn't have this, they have very hard to explain stats. How do I spam for a 1000 DPS 1 hander? Gotta have crit damage and a socket and primary attribute? Certainly even there, 900 damage + 100cd+socket+250 attribute probably beats the hell out of 1000+50cd+socket+50 attribute. Maybe the 900 damage one has life steal too, who knows? If the existing loot system had no AH, it would be extremely difficult for people to find what they needed. The player base would be very split between those who had "broken through" to a playing formula that can generate a high return per hour and those who were simply killing things at the game's designed "questing" pace.

The AH was not the problem. It was the only thing good about D3 to me. The problems were RMAH creating resentment in players by USD giving huge leaps in gear, insufficient controls on trading volume leading to a surplus of ever-powercreeping low end items, and too extreme an item usability variation leading to too large a percentage of useless drops. You don't remove the AH, you just combat the problems within the system. Blizzard is being lazy throwing out the baby with the bathwater and the expansion will be equally if not even more broken than the vanilla game because of it. Too much of D3 was designed with the AH in mind.

I would increase the gold prices, create listing fees, remove the RMAH (though you could allow straight ingame gold purchases at a blizzard controlled rate if you wanted without harming the economy), drastically improve drop quality, drastically decrease drop quantity, and seriously look into means of controlling ingame gold inflation/deflation. Instead, blizzard will just make me spend more time on third party websites looking at item descriptions and making stupid screenshot mats than actually playing their game.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Blizzard is being lazy throwing out the baby with the bathwater and the expansion will be equally if not even more broken than the vanilla game because of it. Too much of D3 was designed with the AH in mind.

You seem to have missed the point, repeated multiple times in this thread alone, that Blizzard is completely revamping the drop system. They are not "being lazy" and just throwing out the AH, they are actually replacing the loot system with one that makes the game fun again.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

That last point remains to be seen.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:That last point remains to be seen.

Fair enough, but at the very least you can't claim that they don't understand that removing the AH by itself isn't enough. They know full well that they balanced the loot drops around the needs of the AH instead of the needs of the game itself, that this was a bad idea (something we could have told you *before* the game had been out for a year and a half) and that removing the AH means rebalancing the drop system accordingly.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

Will wrote:
mosc wrote:Blizzard is being lazy throwing out the baby with the bathwater and the expansion will be equally if not even more broken than the vanilla game because of it. Too much of D3 was designed with the AH in mind.

You seem to have missed the point, repeated multiple times in this thread alone, that Blizzard is completely revamping the drop system. They are not "being lazy" and just throwing out the AH, they are actually replacing the loot system with one that makes the game fun again.
Can you provide more details? I haven't seen any beyond 'revamped loot system that will make the game fun again'.

I don't like the idea of changing what can drop, as opposed to changing the rarity of drops; I don't even mind the game having an enormous amount of junk drops. The trick is making those junk drops not junk; let them be melted down and crafted into stuff. Limiting the amount of trade that happens is going to require some other fix, and I don't think anyone really knows what 'revamped loot system' means.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Can you provide more details? I haven't seen any beyond 'revamped loot system that will make the game fun again'.

I don't recall the specific numbers that were used in the example from Dragoncon, but it boiled down to significantly fewer drops overall, more high end drops, the white drops will be used for crafting, the blue for cosmetics, and the rare+ drops will have a chance to trigger a smart-loot system, where the game will roll a mod specifically for the class of the character for whom it dropped. They're also trying to make the higher end drops have more interesting effects. One of the cited examples was an item that caused health globes to do aoe damage when picked up.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I don't like the idea of changing what can drop, as opposed to changing the rarity of drops; I don't even mind the game having an enormous amount of junk drops. The trick is making those junk drops not junk; let them be melted down and crafted into stuff. Limiting the amount of trade that happens is going to require some other fix, and I don't think anyone really knows what 'revamped loot system' means.

Thing is there is a good use for blue/yellow gear now in that you need the mats to craft the BoA gear which can be best in slot. However, for some reason people place TONS of these mats on the AH for absurdly low cost (lower than the vendor cost of the gear in a lot of cases) so there's no real incentive to salvage things. I'm not really clear WHY this phenomenon occurs except perhaps that people don't know better or are too lazy to figure it out (you see the same thing in MMOs where people will put things on the AH for cheaper than vendor price).

The revamped loot system is apparently going to remove a lot of the "noise" from the loot drops (presumably by reducing quantity and increasing quality). They did mention also changing stat ranges some so that there's not such a wide gulf between the top and bottom end gear. Of course new itemization with the expansion should also change things, though I don't know how that's going to work. Since they are increasing the level cap, presumably all current gear will be completely obsolete a few levels in. This gives them the opportunity to "reset" the system so to speak and perhaps make changes so that people aren't just looking for Main stat, crit chance, crit damage, attack speed, all res and vit on gear.

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

I saw the revamped numbers "loot 2.0" given the same number of kills. They raised the legendaries 6 fold, yay, whatever, but they left the blues basically untouched. Diablo is seriously messed. They need to cut the white/blue/yellow drops TENFOLD, beef the hell out of them, and then reduce the required materials a matching tenfold. Then maybe you could actually pick up blues and whites like they want. You want me to pick up everything blizzard, quit making it so a screen worth of monsters drops an inventory full of crap I need to go salvage ffs.

No, the game they will release will still require an auction house and they simply won't provide it. That's worse than we have now.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Thing is there is a good use for blue/yellow gear now in that you need the mats to craft the BoA gear which can be best in slot. However, for some reason people place TONS of these mats on the AH for absurdly low cost (lower than the vendor cost of the gear in a lot of cases) so there's no real incentive to salvage things. I'm not really clear WHY this phenomenon occurs except perhaps that people don't know better or are too lazy to figure it out (you see the same thing in MMOs where people will put things on the AH for cheaper than vendor price).

People... Lazy? Stupid? Say it ain't so.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

sooooo, they changed a whole lot of shit. Anybody else still care?

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:26 pm UTC

mosc wrote:sooooo, they changed a whole lot of shit. Anybody else still care?

I had started playing Path of Exile lately so kinda lost track of D3 changes. Did the loot 2.0 patch finally hit? I imagine it must have (or will soon) since the expansion release is a couple of week no?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:54 pm UTC

Nephalem Valor has been removed from the game

Wat... I'm not a hater of the game, but their updates are just... all over the place.
Reading over the rest of these updates, it's insane. They're all over the board.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:51 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Wat... I'm not a hater of the game, but their updates are just... all over the place.
Reading over the rest of these updates, it's insane. They're all over the board.

I can kinda see the reasoning. Nephalim valor forced a certain playstyle (go after a bunch of quick elites then do your farming) and made quick boss runs super inefficient. This was the intent in fact. That said not everyone seemed to like that and letting people just go farm bosses apparently isn't that big a deal. Nephalim Valor was supposed to be a bonus but it really became a necessity.

Of course if they didn't adjust XP/drops accordingly there'll be issues.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

I browsed the changes quickly, so may have missed something here, but they're introducing XP buffs that I believe are randomly found, and are modifying the Paragon system as well (somehow). So... I dunno what's going on here.

Also, look over the class changes; they're pretty huge.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:04 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I browsed the changes quickly, so may have missed something here, but they're introducing XP buffs that I believe are randomly found, and are modifying the Paragon system as well (somehow). So... I dunno what's going on here.

Also, look over the class changes; they're pretty huge.

Im pretty sure this is the pre-expansion patch that's going to herald in the removal of the AHs, no trading legendaries and such.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

BoA legendaries and set items? Brilliant Blizzard. Just brilliant. Let's make sure no illicit trading happens by removing the ability to trade valuable things almost completely. This is barely a multiplayer game anymore at this rate. I'm glad the AH is going away but they're not even allowing normal trading. That's shocking to me.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:23 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:BoA legendaries and set items? Brilliant Blizzard. Just brilliant. Let's make sure no illicit trading happens by removing the ability to trade valuable things almost completely. This is barely a multiplayer game anymore at this rate. I'm glad the AH is going away but they're not even allowing normal trading. That's shocking to me.

Removing the AH without removing the ability to trade the most sought after items is somewhat pointless. Path of Exile has no auction house and the trade channels are a damn mess. So someone came up with a clever website that looks at posts you make on the official POE forums and basically made a gigantic auction house out of it. You'd have the same thing spring up in Diablo without a doubt, which would completely undermine the removal of the AHs. So they removed the ability to trade legendaries and set items. Frankly this does seem like a knee jerk solution, but people wanted the game to not be trade simulator 2000 and they wanted to play the game to find their items.

Arbitrage in these games is an extremely easy way to create wealth for yourself. The AH made this especially easy and flipping items was MUCH better at creating wealth than farming was. As mentioned above, I guess they felt the alternative trading methods to the AH (forums, etc) was still going to be too good a way to generate wealth as opposed to farming so removing the legendaries from that pool would make things less problematic. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:40 pm UTC

I still think removing the AH is alarmingly stupid.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:53 pm UTC

When they obliterated the economy with dupes, there was little choice. My main criticism of the AH was it killed the multiplayer / community aspect of the game. On top of that, it was more productive to play the AH than play the game. It was a nice boon for casual players who didn't want to farm or play a market. However, what we have now is an almost pure single player game. Very disappointing and there's no chance of me reinstalling of buying RoS.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:19 pm UTC

You know, I give them some credit because allowing ingame trading while removing the AH would just add hassle without changing anything. BOA legendaries at least accomplishes something actually different.

I always saw diablo II as a loot game. The playing of the game was just farming. The plot, graphics, leveling, whatever, were all just a frame for a straight up loot ladder. I liked in that frame how powerful items were relatively cheap and you paid astronomical fees for really only marginal upgrades.

The degrees of variability between crap and godliness in diablo 3 lead to a system that required trading and favored understanding game mechanics and economic trends as viable skills (arguably more than brute force hours contributed).

My biggest worry is we get the variability of Diablo 3 with the experience of Diablo 2 single player.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:36 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I always saw diablo II as a loot game. The playing of the game was just farming. The plot, graphics, leveling, whatever, were all just a frame for a straight up loot ladder. I liked in that frame how powerful items were relatively cheap and you paid astronomical fees for really only marginal upgrades.
I agree, and felt that the presence of the AH meant you could focus on getting better loot. I.e., that spending an hour playing and not getting a drop you wanted was still time spent building towards better gear, since at least you could easily sell what you did get, and/or have gold to show for it.

Removing the AH just, as mentioned, makes it a more single player game and obliterates a consistent value for gold. The AH needed some fixing, sure, like perhaps adding a more involved set of filters or actual reason to break down gear for consumables to improve liquidity of both items and gold itself, but removing the AH is just blech.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

I think the removal of trading is what pushes the game towards single player. The AH broke the community and discouraged multiplayer as well. The focus of the game turned to how much gold can I get for this item from the AH rather than encouraging players to interact. Sniping auctions and flipping items was hardly interacting.

However I agree with your point about the AH at least providing a goal. The way it is now, the ONLY way to get a legendary is for it to drop in your game or a multiplayer game where you're allowed to trade with players who were in the game when the item dropped for 2hr.

But the AH was really bad. Dreadfully awful. Better than no trading at all but it's a big reason why there's a very small (relatively) community for this game and that's a big part of it.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:36 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Removing the AH just, as mentioned, makes it a more single player game and obliterates a consistent value for gold.

In fairness, gold has a consistent value now. Zero. You'll note that it's not tradeable either.

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:05 pm UTC

I think the complaints about the AH were that it was more important than gameplay in improving your character. I would argue that this is not because of the AH but because of the rarity of items and the nature of their power. D2 had uniques with relatively little variation of extreme power. Getting one meant you had a "near best-in-slot" without constantly grinding for an upgrade. I think D3's problem was not the AH but with the uniques.

I think they should create a system where rares are the best and spawn like they do now. Uniques, however, should have very little variation (they should not have random magical properties, minor variations in magnitudes is good) and facilitate the builds and a working middle class economic base. Rares are exciting in possibility but are most generally crap. They should however be capable of rolling above a unique and thus of incremental value.

The difference should not be game changing between your "baseline" uniques and your set of really rare items. The problem with diablo 3 is the uniques are so random in mod composition that they are interchangeable with rares on a continuously variable gear spectrum.

Blizzard has a lot of community input driving this game but I don't think the people posting are smart enough to design a decent game. They get what they want, which is a pile of crap.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:19 pm UTC

That's a good analysis of the problems with items. The way you described uniques is how they were in D2. Not sure why they deviated so far from that pattern and why it took them so long to start to go back.

Which is another big criticism I have maintained about D3. They had a lot of really intelligent things they did with D2 that the dev team just didn't even bother with when they launched D3. Case in point: identify all. Took them 8 patches to put it in. If I'm a fan of the series I'm expecting to see Cain have it from day one. There seemed no valid reason for this.

There's more but I'll leave it at that. Too little too late at this stage. It could have been really great but Blizzard is dropping the ball more than not right now.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:14 pm UTC

The AH needed work to be sure, but I feel the point of a randomized loot system is allowing utility for everything good that drops. If my WD finds a kickass crossbow, I shouldn't be forced to vendor it, I should be able to trade it for a kickass fetish.

I don't understand why Blizzard is having such a hard time making a multiplayer game; most people I know who play would prefer to play the game with friends, and lament that doing so basically nerfs their progress. Weirdly though, Blizzard is adding a stat called "Healing", so, maybe there will be some application of support roles? I wish they had added abilities that healed or buffed the caster and the group in some variation for each class, to make true multiplayer actually important, but, alas, who the fuck knows what they were thinking.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:40 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Arbitrage in these games is an extremely easy way to create wealth for yourself. The AH made this especially easy and flipping items was MUCH better at creating wealth than farming was. As mentioned above, I guess they felt the alternative trading methods to the AH (forums, etc) was still going to be too good a way to generate wealth as opposed to farming so removing the legendaries from that pool would make things less problematic. I guess we'll see how it turns out.
That seems to be what they're thinking, but how was the solution for all of this not just making it easier for players to appraise the shit they pick up?

JudeMorrigan wrote:In fairness, gold has a consistent value now. Zero. You'll note that it's not tradeable either.
You see, what Diablo 3 needed all along was an economy based on rocks.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Return to “Gaming”