Diablo III

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Diablo III

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:07 pm UTC

The only time my spirit ever tanks and I need to pause from attacking is when fighting Grift Bosses. This usually works out since I need to kite a bit to avoid sitting in the fire or whatnot anyway. The reason I'm a fan of EP in this build is the sunwuko bonus, and the heavy explosion, so as a mob clearer, 2x EP is usually sufficient, though a single WoL almost always finishes the job. With Air Ally and Epiphany, I can almost constantly keep this going, and lastnight I got Gogok to 25, which I imagine will move Air Ally and Epiphany along more smoothly.

I'm sure this build can be improved. I'll try the Aughilds instead of Raimants, but I feel like right now my survivability is the bottle neck, not my damage, so maybe Aughilds is the way to go. My lightening bonus is pretty high, which I like - most elites die pretty quick, assuming I can get away from the sentries.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:57 pm UTC

so a rough calculator:
Real Damage = Sheet Damage *(lightning damage% +1)*(elite damage% +1)
There is diminishing returns on lightning damage and elite damage. There is no diminishing returns on sheet damage though there is on many of it's components (like dex).

In your build you have 49% LD and 28% elite damage. I'd say Aughilds (15% elite damage) should hold it's own against Rainments (500 dex + 15% lightning damage), especially if you get lightning damage on your bracers (which you should). Also, you'll probably want to do solo runs with unity at some point which will remove the RORG making Elite Damage even more at an advantage compared to lightning damage. That's not even mentioning that Aughilds only needs 2 pieces (only 1 that interferes with other sets) instead of 3 with RORG or that it has substantial defensive buffs as well.

Speaking of unity if you get a pair to use over the SOJ you might consider the elite damage gem for it. The 20% damage buff is pretty powerful and the 15% elite damage coupled with the Unity's mod is a more direct SOJ replacement.

Other things that strike me that may or may not be helpful is that you could re-roll lightning damage on your SOJ into crit chance (6% max), reroll the crit chance on your amulet (10% max) to crit damage (100% max, twice a ring) and in the process should pick up a fair bit of damage. Whither or not it's worth the resources to you I dunno.

I don't use Gogok on my sunwuko monk. To me it's more about resource cost reduction than cooldown reduction. Gogok can be particularly annoying to use with epiphany because it delays when you want to use it in order to gain the cooldown benefit. Also, as mentioned before attack speed increases the resource drain of spamming wall of light. I have no idea how you are able to fire wall of light as a main. My guy has half the wall of light cost and more spirit regen and still runs out regularly. I would think you'd be using deadly reach to build spirit now and then between your wall of light usages. Similarly, I'd favor resource cost reduction on my shoulders over cooldown (though I really want both). The elite damage gem is good. I use taeguk instead for trial runs which it seems particularly well suited for (though you may need torch for that). I also like the toxin gem for it's 10% damage buff. It also triggers the game's most powerful gem, the all important bane of the trapped.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:39 pm UTC

Huuuuuuuh... That is a lot of really cool suggestions and stuff I didn't know about.

I'll fiddle with my gear later, thanks for the pointers.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:23 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Huuuuuuuh... That is a lot of really cool suggestions and stuff I didn't know about.

I'll fiddle with my gear later, thanks for the pointers.

The reason you don't know about it is because some of it is wrong. Toxin doesn't proc anything besides painkiller. It doesn't proc bane of the trapped. The elite damage gem (bane of the powerful) is a starter gem, and should be ditched as soon as you get into the 30s. It's only good at level 1 and lvl 25. The fact that the damage doesn't scale with level rear's it's ugly head more and more. And never ditch SOJ, ever. SOJ is the Best in Slot offensive ring, and Unity is the BIS defensive ring. Never swap a SOJ for a Unity to get more dps.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:12 pm UTC

You only get 2 rings. Unity and RORG become required pieces for solo rifting. The SOJ gets benched. In group play I put back on the SOJ.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:48 pm UTC

mosc wrote:You only get 2 rings. Unity and RORG become required pieces for solo rifting. The SOJ gets benched. In group play I put back on the SOJ.

RORG isn't required, but it is a powerful option that I also use. For solo play, Unity+SOJ should give more dps than Unity +RORG (+set benefit/different item bonus not normally available) What item are you getting that needs the extra slot?

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:26 pm UTC

The extra slot is Aughilds 3 piece bonus, Inna's 4 piece bonus, and Sunwuko's 4 piece bonus.

SOJ's 4 primaries offers primary stat, elemental, elite damage, and a random
RORG's 4 primaries offer primary stat, AS, LOH, and a random mod
Assuming both get a re/roll you're left with the advantages of elemental/elite over IAS/LOH. A big advantage damage wise to be sure but if the RORG is also bringing with it important set bonuses, the SOJ often gets benched.

My DH also takes off the SOJ for unity on solo runs. RORG allows marauders + cindercoat so in effect the RORG's mod is giving me cindercoat's unique properties. Those, plus a little attack speed, beat the 30% damage vs elites.

Damage vs elites is less important every piece you use too. If you are using the elite damage gem, unity, and aughilds, you already have quite a bit. 30% damage vs elites is still a ton of damage but it's worth noting it's not the only thing anymore.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:50 pm UTC

I see the issue now, your monk is using multiple small sets instead a single 6 piece set bonus + legendary support. Blizzard is moving or has already moved towards endgame being 6 piece set bonuses. A bunch of 4 piece or less bonuses don't cut it for anything short of T6. If you want to reach the higher grifts, you need to pick a 6 piece set, find the supporting legendaries, and max out the correct gems.

PS The desired SOJ affixes should be Mainstat/Elite/Elemental/Socket. Reroll Mainstat to crit chance or crit damage.
The desired RORG should be Mainstat/LOH/AS/Socket. Reroll LOH or AS to crit chance or crit damage. Anything else is suboptimal.

Aughilds is a mid torment set, and you should move on in order to reach the higher torments.

Why do you like bane of the powerful so much? You said that additional elite damage isn't as good, why would you get a gem that only gives a 20% and 15% more damage? It doesn't scale at all, when you're at grift 25 or 50, it gives the same amount of damage. Compare that to bane of the trapped, Zels, or any of the dps gems. They only get better and better.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:11 pm UTC

One of the things I liked about rediscovering monks about a month ago was how so many builds seem centered around mixing and matching two or even three different sets. It's kind of a shame that Bliz is moving towards only the 6 piece bonuses being viable, even if they're offering more than one viable set per class (Rolands, what the fuck Rolands?)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:44 pm UTC

At least for DH, Bane of the Powerful was/is a regular rift gem. (in Season 1) It was not that helpful in higher grifts because the buff uptime wouldn't always be sufficient. Much better for regular rifts.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:11 pm UTC

sardia wrote:I see the issue now, your monk is using multiple small sets instead a single 6 piece set bonus + legendary support. Blizzard is moving or has already moved towards endgame being 6 piece set bonuses. A bunch of 4 piece or less bonuses don't cut it for anything short of T6. If you want to reach the higher grifts, you need to pick a 6 piece set, find the supporting legendaries, and max out the correct gems.

PS The desired SOJ affixes should be Mainstat/Elite/Elemental/Socket. Reroll Mainstat to crit chance or crit damage.
The desired RORG should be Mainstat/LOH/AS/Socket. Reroll LOH or AS to crit chance or crit damage. Anything else is suboptimal.

Aughilds is a mid torment set, and you should move on in order to reach the higher torments.

Why do you like bane of the powerful so much? You said that additional elite damage isn't as good, why would you get a gem that only gives a 20% and 15% more damage? It doesn't scale at all, when you're at grift 25 or 50, it gives the same amount of damage. Compare that to bane of the trapped, Zels, or any of the dps gems. They only get better and better.

Oiy Oiy. I'm just going to go out on a LIMB here and say you don't play monk much. I have a good set of Rainment (6-piece monk set) on another monk, I run three of em, and I can tell you it's pretty shit. Blizzard knows this which is why they're changing it. Until they do however, monk's endgame set is a 4-piece bonus on Sunwuko's which frees up a whole lot of slots for other set bonuses. Aughilds is a mid-torment set for most classes but for monk it's pretty awesome. Monk and barb builds are pretty much all melee which makes the defensive bonuses on Aughilds pretty spectacular. It also makes Zel's pretty useless. Also not getting any benefit from enforcer's or attacking fast enough for straight damage gems (faster attacks cost more resource when you're main-ing a spender) means you're list of gem choices starts to fall off. Particularly when you're short on elite damage from not having an SOJ (as discussed above), the bane gem starts to look pretty attractive. It's not great for higher grifts even on a monk perhaps but works well through the low 30s.

But seriously suggesting to somebody they drop sunwuko's 4-piece bonus in favor of rainments 6-piece bonus is moronic in their current forms.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:32 pm UTC

FWIW, the Sunwuko 4 piece bonus is enormous. You've got some flexibility with other stuff (Innas vs Raimant might be a toss up? probably not though, in favor of Innas), but Sunwukos is pretty key.

I <3 my monk. So mobile. Even a teleporting wizard or spirit walking WD (with that huge nerf incoming!) feels clunky compared to dashing strike and epiphanies port to attack.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:32 am UTC

Expansion's on sale, so I'll finally be picking it up and giving it a whirl(wind).
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:53 am UTC

Up to doing Torment III on my barb - doing rifts feels a bit slow (might get better farming-per-time on II or I), but is pretty satisfyingly on the edge of "not dying a lot normally, will die if I get careless against an enemy with a bad set of affixes". Mostly running a build based around lightning damage, with Rend, Whirlwind, and Weapon throw as main damage sources, and lots of +lightning/+skill on my gear. Have got some decent crit-stacking going now; while it's not the highest paperdoll damage, my Thunderfury seems to be doing quite well for me in practice.

Am I getting too clever for my own good, or is the "optimal" way to do some grifts at min-level (level 1 keystone, then blow through it and wait a few minutes to get a level 2, etc. etc.) to get a copy of each legendary gem, and only then start going for max-level grifts for your gem upgrades? At present, it mostly seems like the grifts aren't all that useful for gearing up, compared to doing a regular rift and getting actual drops, though I can see this changing as I gear up more.

Where does Hellfire Amulet stand on the totem pole, currently? "Mandatory for endgame" due to the bonus passive, or "basically useless"?

EDIT: Also, is there a generally recommended "optimum" way to spend blood shards? I've been mostly spamming rings, trying to get a decent one with crit stats + socket to put legendary gems in.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:06 pm UTC

Yes you're getting too clever for your own good. Having all the unique gems may make you feel cooler bust most aren't that useful compared to regular mods (sockets replace a mod) until you get them to 25... which basically requires you to do a few dozen level 25 grifts (or higher), roughly equivalent to effectively playing at T6. No need for a bunch of unleveled legendary gems. Focus on act 1 bounties trying to get a ring of royal grandeur and do tons of regular rifts. When you can do a T6 rift yourself, consider playing mostly in public rift games. Rifts give the best mix of gear and experience and efficiency when you're not concerned with leveling up legendary stones.

Hellfire amulet stands closer to the "basically useless" side of things for many classes to "balanced and useful but not gamebreaking" for a few classes. Monks, for example, would never be caught dead without their set amulet if they're any good. There are lots of other powerful amulets as well. DH's tend to like hellfire though.

Spend blood shards only on things that cost 25. Typical uses are rolling for set armor pieces. I don't know what class you are which changes things slightly but you'll want to roll chest/gloves/shoulders/pants/boots/helm for the main sets for most classes.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:45 pm UTC

Gotcha, can do. Thinking of starting a seasonal DH once the new season rolls around, I haven't tried any Dex classes yet. In the meantime, will look forward to the new WW set, since its bonuses are to the playstyle I was already running :)

Idle musing: I was thinking on the reason I play games like Diablo - part of it's just for the "flow" aspect of it, something to keep the mind absorbed and processing without necessarily having to really "think" in the traditional sense while fighting. But another bit of it's, well, wanting to feel "like a badass"/powerful. That's not a particularly interesting observation, but what felt fascinating to me was the difficulty of the tuning involved in creating that feeling. Too hard, and you get frustrated with deaths or having to "coward it out"; too easy, and it feels less like triumphing over powerful foes and more like being a schoolyard bully. So, there has to be just enough challenge that the enemies seem powerful/threatening, but not enough that they pose a real/huge threat...

Also, sitting there holding down the trigger on an attack for three minutes against an enemy that can't overcome your regen doesn't really hit the spot <_<

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:06 pm UTC

When the expansion first came out there was more variety of task I'd say probably peaking with the introduction of the legendary gems shortly after release. It's devolved a bit. Bounties are mostly about chances at a ring that's a requirement for at least 50% of the games builds and a source for innumerable rift stones. Rifts are the main time consumer and reward generator though thoroughly formulaic and repetitive. Grifts aren't that dissimilar a variant and by design of trial stones never replace rifts (even when T6 4-person difficulty is a joke) and add little more than spice. Still, D2 was mostly boss runs and that tiny little cow level. I suppose in comparison doing a rift with a random guy at the end is amazingly variable.

I actually don't think Diablo plays particularly well when it's difficult. At it's best you're blowing through things routinely. Your brain tunes out the detail and your imagination wanders past the simplistic controls. You want the unexpected to creep up now and then. Require the player to hit an extra button or two once ever minute or so. Maybe consider backing up or moving out of some effect to add a moment's more concern to the situation. Still, it should be too fast to talk about. That said, the grift PVE never ending tiering gives something aspirational for all that gear.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:59 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I actually don't think Diablo plays particularly well when it's difficult. At it's best you're blowing through thingth routinely. Your brain tunes out the detail and your imagination wanders past the simplistic controls. You want the unexpected to creep up now and then. Require the player to hit an extra button or two once ever minute or so. Maybe consider backing up or moving out of some effect to add a moment's more concern to the situation. Still, it should be too fast to talk about. That said, the grift PVE never ending tiering gives something aspirational for all that gear.

It's funny how much I can find myself enjoying the mindless exploding of things. I think that's why I liked the D2 necromancer so much. Summon army did the part I hated (chasing down enemies) and Corpse Explosion handled the rest. The Cow Level was always rather satisfying.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:32 pm UTC

There's a certain satisfaction to just steamrolling through enemies and watching them explode, but I think the game plays best when you're right at the edge of being able to damage something and being able to damage you.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:36 pm UTC

I agree completely. This is why hardcore was so much fun. That threshold of damage vs survivability plus the added threat of being gibbed yourself at any time made it such a blast. I need to revisit that for D2 again someday.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:23 pm UTC

I don't think hardcore has anything to do with that - I personally don't find there to be anything entertaining about HC characters. If anything, it seems like it just limits your build options since you need to play it much safer.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Astfgl III

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:49 pm UTC

Double post, but patch 2.2 went out. Some fun improvements! I'm grinding out for the new Wizard set, 2/5 so far, and already have the wand. My monk has the raiment set, but I'm not sure if I like it very much. Lots of ways to spin it at least.

A striking change is to the Jade Harvester set - my WD feels outlandishly potent now, and evidently the Zunimassa set is even more out of control.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:57 pm UTC

Has anyone tried out Tal Rasha's yet? I had 5 pieces and an RROG, maybe I should try logging back in and checking it out. Heard its up to par for an end game set now as opposed to the "Firebirds or go home" prior to this.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:37 pm UTC

Tal Rasha's is supposedly better than Firebird now. Firebird got an AoE damage boost which is pretty cool, but Tal Rasha's is king for consistent damage output now, I think.

Negated

Postby Negated » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:39 pm UTC

The great thing about Tal Rasha set is that it doesn't limit your choice of skills, and it forces you to use 4 spells of different elements. Whereas Firebird set is almost always run with the fire Blizzard, Black Hole, and sometimes Hydra. It also encourages you to use a more aggressive and engaging gameplay than Firebird's hit and run with DoT. I am enjoying it a lot.

I am still collecting pieces for the new set. It looks like another fun set to try and potentially can mix with Tal or Firebird.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:19 am UTC

I played an elemental exposure build for a while it was awesome.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:21 am UTC

Got three or four good drops for my Barb, and went from "can clear Torment III slowly, maybe IV if I don't mind dying a lot" to "stomping Torment VI npnp". An ancient Stalgard's Decimator with a socket from the Ramaladni's Gift I got just thereafter and a Sash of Knives, plus Focus & Restraint, were the big ones. Afterward, the Depth Diggers, and two-piece Wastes set have, uh, somewhat solved my lack of single-target DPS, as well as letting me ditch the ranged attack when I've got 1200% weapon damage worth of "various ranged stuff" on every melee attack anyway. I'm pretty much just a hurricane of various projectiles now. Haven't tried to see what Grift I can do now, but it felt a little...unfulfilling, in some ways, to jump straight to easily doing Torment 6 from three or four drops.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:51 am UTC

After having not played for a while and realizing I don't have 5 pieces for Tal rasha's I wanted to farm up them up. Are blood shards the easiest way to do this? And are regular rifts the easiest way to get blood shards? Does the torment level affect how many blood shards you get from a rift? It seems my old build with arcane torrent and various buffs still does well enough to clear Torment V pretty easily so if that's the case I can probably round out that Tal Rasha's set pretty quickly. Hilariously the first drop I got when I finished a level 21 Grift was an ancient Echoing Fury. So that helps a bit :P

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:31 pm UTC

I think the best thing to do is the toughest Rift you can muster without dying too often, and restart as soon as you clear the Guardian. Spend bloodshards on whatever pieces are missing. Repeat.

Grifts also have a higher drop rate on guardian clears, and leveling gems to 25 is important, so that's not really a waste of time, though I think Grifts have lower drops than equivalent Rifts all told.

I'm hearing that the Time Bubble Wizard build is awesome for support but not that great for soloing. I've only got I think 3 pieces atm. I have Fire Birds, but I guess I need to grind out some Tal Rasha's too.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:34 pm UTC

Definitely a lot of people ditching DPS for mobility to clear 4-person T6 rifts quicker since nothing comes close to taking their damage anyway. Barbs in public games are particularly infuriating since their WW attack is now sustainable and does solid damage. Trash is simply slaughtered en route and team play is disappearing again.

Monk now has two viable options. Dashing strike plus a bunch of buffs does more damage and has more mobility but is not very flexible and a bit of a glass canon. Focus and Restraint rings are almost a requirement to run this build in GRIFTS effectively which takes away unity and makes the build feel even more like glass. Still, done properly probably the best build for solo work. Maybe amongst all the classes.

The other option is a kitchen sink approach featuring Inna's and Sunwuko's and Ghungo bracers. Basically a 1-2 punch of EP+WOL to bring down trash. Helps that a lot of the rift guardians now kick out trash routinely. Putting a palm on them gives a lot of extra damage against the guardian. Requires a very specific gear loadout to run the 6-piece and 4-piece set bonuses including a RORG so the build has very little variation. I suspect this will be an easy build for lesser geared monks to try and fake (like using reach and crude boots instead of torch and inna's boots which almost works but not quite).

Yes torment difficulty affects blood shards at the end. It also affects drops throughout. It's not that big a deal though. T1 farming is quite effective you should really only raise the level beyond that when you're ready to steamroll something higher up. It's gotten to the point though where you can join a T6 public game and leech at this point I'm sad to say. No need to worry about doing much else than getting to 70 and then following around a barb or two until you get some useful set pieces.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:49 am UTC

Well got the third piece from the Delsere set - I feel the damage from Slow Time is nice, not great, since it only tics once per second. Still, it's cool having the entire map bubbled, and as a supporting role I'm happy with it. Maybe the full set will have more oomph.

Negated

Postby Negated » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:15 pm UTC

I finally collected 5 pieces of Delsere set. I used the new wizard hat that gives Slow Time every rune effect and a RORG to complete the 6 piece bonus. Using Mirrorball as offhand with MM/Conflag was my default choice of attack since most of my gears had fire damage bonus (because Firebird).

This setup worked ok in Grift 38 solo. With all the reduce cooldown bonuses, I could fire up a new Slow Time after 2 MMs. So crowd control was certainly not an issue. Unavoidable boss effects were the only real threats I had to face. Damage, however, is not great. I had trouble finishing off the guardian in time. I found myself spending way more time killing trash mobs that a Tal Rasha build would otherwise kill in an instant. But I can see this build having great team play potential, since Slow Time boosts damage and is one of the best and spammable CC spells out there.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:30 pm UTC

I want that helm. This is the set up I'm going with right now - I want to get rid of the Vyr boots for another Tal piece. Also, take a look at dat Wand - pre-nerf stats.

I've also been experimenting with Shock Pulse - Piercing Orb, which seems to work well, but is kind of slow. I'd like to be using just Arcane Orb, but can't swing the Arcane cost.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

Just got my seasonal monk to 70 yesterday, so I'll probably spend a bunch of time gearing it this weekend.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:28 pm UTC

WD also seems to have gotten some sweet love. Jade is even more fun than ever. Haunt as a primary attack? Yespls.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:47 pm UTC

Focus and restraint are pretty crazy strong. Mine are crappy rolls and the damage they kick out is just absurd.

Negated

Postby Negated » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:24 pm UTC

With some luck I found an Ancient Gesture of Orpheus and an Ancient Triumvate orb. So I moved to Frozen Orb as the main attack and MM/Glacial Spike as signature spell to proc the Triumvate buff.

The game play is quite intensive and engaging. I found myself rotating Slow Time, MM/Glacial Spike, and Frozen Orb constantly during combat. Good placement of Slow Time is crucial to maximize damage. Placing Slow Time at the exact distance to stun dangerous foes instantly is even trickier.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

With a bit of kajiggering, you could probably drop having a sig spell altogether. I find I'm constantly moving with the Magnum Opus set, and I can have the entire screen bubbled pretty easily.

That said, a huge portion of my damage comes from whatever ability I'm using that gets the 750% bonus from the bubbles, and if you tap out of AP, you're screwed.

Negated

Postby Negated » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:13 pm UTC

You need to cast a signature spell every 6 seconds to refresh the Arcane Orb buff stack from the Triumvirate orb. The damage bonus is well worth a skill slot. Glacial spike helps a little with crowd control too.

I don't mean to suggest that the Delsere set is slow, but it certainly isn't as fast as Tal Rasha. You need to cover the enemies with Slow Time first before attacking with Frozen Orb. If your enemies are scattered around, you will need more Slow Time or Black Hole to help gather them. Adding Black Hole means losing either Teleport or Magic Weapon. Both are heavy tradeoffs. It is also a more resource intensive build than Tal Rasha. You will run out of AP in seconds if you hold down Arcane Orb.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu May 07, 2015 3:03 pm UTC

Been running around with Nats 6-piece along with the crazy rain belt and a very cooldown heavy gear loadout. I gotta say, it's probably the easiest and lowest gear requirement of any class right now. You can get the belt from blood shards fairly easily, even roll a 1-handed weapon if you need. The seasonal only multishot quiver may give Nats a run for it's money but in non-seasonal it's hard to imagine anything more brainless and easy, even through grifts into the 40s with a focus and restraint.

Return to “Gaming”