Diablo III

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: I WAITED TILL 5 AM AND ITS HERE DIABLO 3

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:19 am UTC

Yeah I hope they fix looting, from the game play preview it seems the same. Who ever is the fastest with the fastest net wins.. oh wait, sorry I meant pickup bot.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

This ray of hope wrote:Group loot. When a boss was killed in the old games, the player with the fastest connection would typically grab the loot first. However, in “Diablo III,” the loot will generate and drop for each player.

Only seems to apply to bosses, but it's a start.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:Only seems to apply to bosses, but it's a start.

I think the boss was only being used as an example (not to mention usually the only thing that I've seen drop loot worth having).

EDIT: Oh, good, that list includes another thing I forgot to mention from both Guild Wars and Hellgate: Some sort of respeccing system. Don't you just hating picking a skill then realizing it's utterly useless?

Nexuapex

Postby Nexuapex » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

I see no reason why group-style loot would apply only to bosses. The other source I heard said plainly that "whatever you see on the ground is yours."

Also, if you're expecting awesome graphics, stop expecting awesome graphics and play a game from a company with a shorter development cycle.
“It’s my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of a son of a bitch or another.”

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Well.... there goes leaving the house for the next year
One day something wity and original will appear here

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

The headlines read these are the worst of times
I do believe its true
I feel so helpless like a boat against the tide
I wish the summer winds could bring back paradise
But I know, if the world turned upside down
Baby, I know you'd always be around

The best of times are when I'm alone with you
Some rain some shine, well make this a world for two
Our memories of yesterday will last a lifetime
Well take the best, forget the rest
And someday well find these are the best of times
These are the best of times...

These lyrics seem fitting.

Axman

Postby Axman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

Nexuapex wrote:Also, if you're expecting awesome graphics, stop expecting awesome graphics and play a game from a company with a shorter development cycle.
What does short have anything to do with it? I don't understand what you're trying to say. In any case, I think D3 started getting built in 2002. And graphics don't have to be high-end, just pretty; D2 was all sprites and it's still pretty to this day: what I'm looking at looks like a step backwards.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:I need to actually buy the battle chest, my um copy that I "acquired" installed fine, but won't recognize that I have the play disk in the "drive".

Blizzard is very strict when it comes to "backup" copies of their games. I wouldn't expect much of anything to work. I've been thinking about getting the chest, but the d'rn thing is still $30 so many years later.

I'm looking forward to Diablo 3 myself. I liked the old ones since you could just play it once through and get a pretty good experience or you could play every day for months and still find ways to improve your character.

The trailers look more impressive than I'd expect. There were interesting fire and water effects on the barbarian trailer.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Delbin wrote:
Babamthegrunt wrote:I need to actually buy the battle chest, my um copy that I "acquired" installed fine, but won't recognize that I have the play disk in the "drive".

Blizzard is very strict when it comes to "backup" copies of their games. I wouldn't expect much of anything to work.

...what about the 1.12 patch? That removes the CD protection.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:48 am UTC

JayDee wrote:
Jack Saladin wrote:So, uhh, I've never actually played a Diablo game. Ever. At all. What's the deal?
Watered down Angband variant in real time with graphics, basically. Never saw what all the fuss was about.

The games are shit.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:47 am UTC

Rabble! RABBLE RABBLE!

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

All I can think about are those poor sods who left Blizzard in order to make Hellgate: London.

Poor idiots madde a not so great game which had very little chance of succeeding but will now be totally screwed over by D3.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

Okita wrote:All I can think about are those poor sods who left Blizzard in order to make Hellgate: London.

Poor idiots madde a not so great game which had very little chance of succeeding but will now be totally screwed over by D3.

Yeah seriously.

Was it the people who actually made Hellgate: London who described it as "The spiritual successor to diablo" or something? Because that game seriously sucked crap.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

I just cant pin point what made Hellgate so bad. Technichally theres not much wrong with it, its just when compared to D2 it seams shockingly awful.

Its just so souless i guess.
One day something wity and original will appear here

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

I can't imagine cow runs with assigned drops. How would that work? Sorcie kills everything in 2 seconds and gets all the drops because they killed everything? Random underleveled newbie with no gear gets 1/8th the drops?

The biggest thing they need to work on is the economy and having a useful currency. Guild wars did it, more or less, so can Diablo.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I can't imagine cow runs with assigned drops. How would that work? Sorcie kills everything in 2 seconds and gets all the drops because they killed everything? Random underleveled newbie with no gear gets 1/8th the drops?

The biggest thing they need to work on is the economy and having a useful currency. Guild wars did it, more or less, so can Diablo.

Honestly, I think they're going to avoid accidently setting up huge farming situations like in D2, ie. they'll avoid being able to Baal Run and Cow Run etc.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

if it doesn't have piles of loot so big you need a massive widescreen monitor just to see all the text then it isn't diablo.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

im going to LOCUST REIGN ON YOUR PARADE WITH MY WITCH DOCTOR BITCHES.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

Any game where you have Witch Doctor bitches is a game i want to play!

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Any game where the boss picks up your friend's barbarian and EATS HIM is a game I will play. Nonstop.
//TODO: Write funny sig

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:16 am UTC

dyzzy wrote:Any game where the boss picks up your friend's barbarian and EATS HIM is a game I will play. Nonstop.

Yeah, I wonder how that works though, low hp insta kill? Or any hp instakill?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Aluminus

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Aluminus » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:02 am UTC

Diablo III deals +crushing blow+ to my life!
It is mangled!
Stunned
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:57 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Or any hp instakill?
That would suck...

Or maybe it's based on placement. If bosses do things like that, we'll often get pwned on the first try...
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:09 am UTC

Edawan wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:Or any hp instakill?
That would suck...

Or maybe it's based on placement. If bosses do things like that, we'll often get pwned on the first try...

Yeah, don't stay near his right hand when his mouth is dribbling saliva, or something.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:27 am UTC

Looking through the website I have a huge *GEEK* moment and *sigh* I'm still at work no one to share it with.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

looks like drops are still unassigned and walking over gold picks it up... just figured I'd point that out.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

mosc wrote:looks like drops are still unassigned and walking over gold picks it up... just figured I'd point that out.

Thank gawd. Picking up the millions of 10g pieces so you can afford stuff later on was a pain.

I just hope the graphics serves the game and not the other way around. D2 was able to have OK graphics and allow everyone to play. This one.. can only the hardcore towers play the game smoothly? That would be wrong.

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

This article from Joystiq has some interesting tidbits. It sounded like they were still trying to remain lax on the hardware requirements, but the gameplay footage looked pretty intense, with all those enemies being ragdoll-ed off edges, similar to Titan Quest... it would be interesting to see how minimal the specs are.

It would be somewhat cruel to have an instant-kill that could happen anytime, but it could work. From the looks of it, they're going to be giving the game an injection of reflex-based gameplay, with the slow-but-damaging-then-vulnerable berserkers being a good example. I think with the siegebreaker, you're looking at attacks that have to be dodged. No more "see enemy, click and hold, repeat" stuff.

hipp5

Postby hipp5 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

From the Joystiq article:

Q: With the loot system in Diablo II, the player with the fastest connection often got the loot. Will this change?
A: We're changing the drop system. Monsters will drop multiple items, each player will see loot generated for them.

I guess that answers the looting question. I'm glad to see they're doing something about it!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

dyzzy wrote:This article from Joystiq has some interesting tidbits. It sounded like they were still trying to remain lax on the hardware requirements, but the gameplay footage looked pretty intense, with all those enemies being ragdoll-ed off edges, similar to Titan Quest... it would be interesting to see how minimal the specs are.

Compared to today's specs, they're high end. Compared to the specs of the average computer when Diablo 3 actually comes out, it'll be pretty affordable and common.

Ha ha! Blizzard joke!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

But seriously, Blizzard is usually pretty good about not requiring uber-1337-rigs to play their games.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

What would you want them to do? Show off the game at lowest settings? Clearly just because it looks pretty on high settings doesn't mean it can't run with less. I mean, it is ISOMETRIC after all. They can crank graphics down quite a bit as they seem to be mostly non-physics related polygons.

hipp5

Postby hipp5 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:But seriously, Blizzard is usually pretty good about not requiring uber-1337-rigs to play their games.

Agreed. When has there ever been a Blizzard game where you needed more than a reasonable PC to play?

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:The games are the shit.

Fixed.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

I disagree. If Diablo and it's descendants were "The shit", then I would have finished one of them by now. As I have not, despite owning them, playing them for a respectable amount of time and getting bored, quitting to replay games I've played and beat dozens of times.

So.. no, I don't see what the fuss is about. It's a Roguelike with extremely limited options.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

Its a roguelike for those people who like advanced graphics. If you want more gameplay over graphics, then roguelikes are your games. If you want more graphics, then Diablo is your game. Just a matter of preference.

Also, Diablo does try for, and succeeds in telling, a mildly interesting story, where most roguelikes have none.

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

I don't really think the story was that compelling, honestly. Perhaps because I never played the first one through, but it all just seemed to me like a flimsy backdrop to a mindless hack-n-slash to me. Having read external sources, I suppose there is a pretty solid world built around it; I just never really saw it fleshed out in the game.

What I (and my friends, who I lanned it with) found appealing about the last game was the very large, seemingly limitless potential for expansion of your character, not only through your level, but your equipment. As they improve, you become a more bad-ass murder machine, and with a whole group of people both cooperating against tough enemies and competing for the loot, it makes for fun 24-hour holycrapdidwejustplayforthatlong marathons.

That's how we approach tabletop gaming, too, but D2 is a simplistic fast-paced way of doing it. If you're playing it by yourself you might as well go for a roguelike. Many of the design flaws are more noticeable when playing by your lonesome: Act 3, for example, is simply a chore. You are stuck with your skill choices unless you want to start over again, and in vanilla D2 it's very easy to screw it up. Without others to help out or barter with, there's no motivation to repeat the entire thing in Nightmare of Hell difficulty, nor is it feasible unless you want to grind, grind, grind.

As for the system requirements, I don't pretend to know how they scale, so how taxing are physics calculations? Take, for example, the scene where the barb knocks a wall onto an oncoming horde, or when his fallen foes tumble off into the abyss. Aside from that, I can easily imagine the other stuff being roughly similar to WoW, in that a semi-old computer could scrape by while bleeding edge rigs will make it look spectacular.

Kerberos

Postby Kerberos » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

Today is the best day since I learned about SC2.

Personally, I hope that they:
Make it harder to TK everyone in Hardcore, like by giving five seconds' warning before hostility takes effect. People who threw Glacial Spikes, waygated back to town, and went hostile while the spike was still in the air really got on my nerves after I lost about three 20th-levels to them.
Give it system requirements that the computer I will have when it comes out fulfills.
Put in a time bomb thing so that if I spend more than 4 hours playing it each day, it deletes all of my characters.
Don't require lots of grinding (D2 and LoD were pretty good in that regard).
Don't make the system a whole lot more intricate than D2's.
Make it come out soon, damn it!

mosc wrote:What would you want them to do? Show off the game at lowest settings? Clearly just because it looks pretty on high settings doesn't mean it can't run with less. I mean, it is ISOMETRIC after all.

Well, the environment might be, but the units can't be if I understand what "isometric" means from the Wikipedia article.

Hm... I do wonder what the specs are on the computer they were using for the demo.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

I basically can't wait for this game. It looks amazingly amazing. I'm a little worried that it will be too much about physics and weird combat, as I'm a bit used to just mindlessly slashing at things.

...I want to go back and play the original Diablo now, but I don't think I can handle the fact that you can't run in that game.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:17 am UTC

I've been looking for my LoD cd for about a week now, but I'm going to rack up the search. Finally.

The new Witch Doctor looks cool, but I never really enjoyed playing the spellcasting characters in D2. Still, Soul Harvest looks freaking amazing.

Official reaction: Can't wait.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Return to “Gaming”