If you could combine two(or more) games

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mmmcannibalism

Re: If you could combine two(or more) games

Postby mmmcannibalism » Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

Accountant13B wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:I would like to see an open world pokemon game where you actually battle in real time.

Agreed. To go with the theme of the topic, Pokemon + Okami (since you play as an animal, which I presume you would do in such a pokemon game)? Pokemon + Zelda? What combination would achieve that?

I'm not sure, maybe pokemon + a mech fighting game; the main thing is pokemon but being able to actually fight using their attacks.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:54 am UTC

I always wanted to combine Armored Core and EVE. I think it would make a neat MMO.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Accountant13B

Postby Accountant13B » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
Accountant13B wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:I would like to see an open world pokemon game where you actually battle in real time.

Agreed. To go with the theme of the topic, Pokemon + Okami (since you play as an animal, which I presume you would do in such a pokemon game)? Pokemon + Zelda? What combination would achieve that?

I'm not sure, maybe pokemon + a mech fighting game; the main thing is pokemon but being able to actually fight using their attacks.

Probably. I can't say I know much regarding action games, I was basically scraping the bottom of the barrel for combo ideas. Any examples of mech fighters I might know?
Weight is both a blessing and a curse.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

I mean, I admit I don't know the rules of the whole Pokemon thing so well, so I don't know if it's legal to pull a critter out again after you put them up for whatever reason, but you'd basically run it like a 3D Fighter with a tag-team gameplay, I'd imagine. Hit X+R2 to recall, left analog selects the next critter in your lineup, pops in at the same place.. elapsed time = 1 second or so. Battle continues.

Basic attacks handled one way, special attacks another.. it's.. really nothing that hasn't already been done in the world of 3D Fighters. The only wrench I can see is the scale differences possibly being a problem.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I mean, I admit I don't know the rules of the whole Pokemon thing so well, so I don't know if it's legal to pull a critter out again after you put them up for whatever reason, but you'd basically run it like a 3D Fighter with a tag-team gameplay, I'd imagine. Hit X+R2 to recall, left analog selects the next critter in your lineup, pops in at the same place.. elapsed time = 1 second or so. Battle continues.

Basic attacks handled one way, special attacks another.. it's.. really nothing that hasn't already been done in the world of 3D Fighters. The only wrench I can see is the scale differences possibly being a problempure awesome if done right.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The only wrench I can see is the scale differences possibly being a problem.
You obviously haven't seen HSOWA.

t-note

Postby t-note » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

red ninja + jade empire = fixed movement for red ninja & more locations for jade empire...YAY! what a fun rpg that would be! :twisted:

HermanBlount

Postby HermanBlount » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

X-com + GTA = Crime empire simulator
X-com + Left 4 Dead = zombie survivor simulator

oh hell..

X-com2 = Global domination simulator (or micromanaging nightmare).
It's AFTER the end of the world. Don't you know that yet?

icanflywaitno

Postby icanflywaitno » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:18 am UTC

Combine the destruction physics of Bad Company 2 and Red Faction, with the free roam, controls, and environment of GTA IV, with missions from Modern Warfare 2. The epicness that may occur may cause the nerdiness inside of me to unleash its impending fury upon the earth and obliterate everything within my eye's path.

New User

Postby New User » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Dwarf Fortress plus Minecraft. How 'bout it?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:35 am UTC

New User wrote:Dwarf Fortress plus Minecraft. How 'bout it?

Yes. Yes.

Argency

Postby Argency » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:02 am UTC

WoW + Super Smash Bros. (64 version).

Imagine a game with all the depth and sandboxosity of WoW, but which had the lightning fast, skill-dependent combat of Smash Bros. It'd make all the grinding enjoyable, instead of being a chore, because it'd make even battles against random crappy mobs a test of your skill, instead of your character's gear/lvl. Plus, it'd heighten the skill requirements quite a bit. I know it takes a lot of effort and hard work and skill to get good at WoW, but once you've created a good character and understand how that character works you tend to just settle into an easy routine of pressing the same few buttons in order. Imagine if an expert lvl 10 player could take out a relatively unskilled lvl 15 (even if they both had good gear for their level), the same way a good player could use Jigglypuff to take down Pikachu on Smash...

The skill tree would have to change a bit, but there's no reason it couldn't be just as complex and awesome. If someone made a game like that I'd never leave my computer.
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

HermanBlount wrote:X-com + GTA = Crime empire simulator

That sounds awesome!

Ok, not exactly on topic, but I wish they would remake Birthright. It was a combination game - tactical army combat, empire management, and dungeon crawling. It was somewhat buggy and a little broken(archers could decimate entire armies), but it was really fun.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Vyn

Postby Vyn » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

Mass Effect 2+WoW or Starcraft: As in, a massively immersive RPG by Bioware set in the Warcraft or Starcraft universes. With Horde/Alliance as "Paragon" and Legion/Scourge as "Renegade for Warcraft, and in a Starcraft one Zerg as "Renegade" and Protoss/Terran as "Paragon." Also, work Kerrigan in there as a romance option somehow. Just because.

Also, while it might not be two games, I'd still KILL to see Final Fantasy remade on the premise of 8-Bit Theater. Because that would be awesome.
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity, flourish.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

Vyn wrote: Also, work Kerrigan in there as a romance option somehow. Just because.

I will cancel my SC2 pre-order if the trailers start reflecting this.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Accountant13B

Postby Accountant13B » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

Argency wrote:WoW + Super Smash Bros. (64 version).
WIN

I've never played WoW, but if that came out I may just be convinced.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:47 pm UTC

About pokemon... didn't I say this earlier? :P

Gelsamel wrote:Pokemon + Tales of Vesperia
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

Dwarf Fortress + Final Fantasy XIII
Incredibly dorfy game with HD graphics, beautiful soundtrack supplied by one of the best game composers of all time,improved weapon/armour/EVERYTHING customization along with a proper interface anyone?
Signatures are for chumps.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:01 pm UTC

Given the art direction I've seen in Final Fantasy games and the general tone of the DF Community? Hells naw.

You want Games Workshop directing the art for that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Accountant13B

Postby Accountant13B » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Given the art direction I've seen in Final Fantasy games and the general tone of the DF Community? Hells naw.

You want Games Workshop directing the art for that.

YES

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

Half Life + Pokemon

I want to see Gordon Freeman clubbing the f*** out of a Bulbasaur with a crowbar.

t-note

Postby t-note » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

If you are going that route, what about halo+pokemon? or halo + bakugan brawlers?

New User

Postby New User » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Earlier I said combining Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft would be good, but after exploring vast cave systems in Minecraft Beta I think it'd be great to combine Minecraft with Spelunky. Spelunky was already really cool in two dimensions, but having the same game in 3D blockiness would be awesome.

Also, exploring huge procedurally generated caverns makes me think I'm playing a dungeon crawler, but there isn't much similarity. Killing enemies in Minecraft isn't very rewarding, and the main reason for exploring the caves is to get more materials with which to build my lego-esque fortress. What dungeon crawler could be combined with Minecraft to make cave exploration and combat more rewarding?

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You want Games Workshop directing the art for that.

But they don't do videogames, they get other people too. D:

That said, the guys/gals who actually make the final fantasy models/textures/ect. plus the guys/gals who design models for Warhammer and the like doing a DF game....oh god. It'd be beautiful.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

Yeah, but THQ (?) did a good job remaining faithful to the models and art.

Anyway, HD textures for DF seems like a slightly strange idea to me. I mean, I couldn't hack it with the ascii, but a decent isometric pack like FFVIII would be good and would make me look at it again.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Dwarf Fortress + Black&White

EVE + Freespace 2 (or equivalent)

EDIT: Also, Minecraft + Any Elder Scrolls game

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:05 pm UTC

Guilty Gear + Rock Band

I love the GG soundtrack.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:15 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Anyway, HD textures for DF seems like a slightly strange idea to me. I mean, I couldn't hack it with the ascii, but a decent isometric pack like FFVIII would be good and would make me look at it again.

See, the thing is, I really dislike the style used in FF8 for just about everything.
Something about the aesthetics of the game just puts me...off.

On the flipside, I think that xiii/xii level detail combined with games worshop design would look freaking amazing from above, because I really like how the models look on the table and the general style of the video games.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

Oops I meant VI. FFVI.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Oops I meant VI. FFVI.

Huh.
That could work, actually.
That could work very well.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

I'm not completely crazy! :)

But yeah, the Jamestown/FFVI/other isometric stuff is something I want to see more of.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:31 am UTC

I liked FFVIII :( Probably because it was the first FF I played, and oh yeah gunblade.

I'd like to see (or, add my name to the list of people who would like to see) a strictly pokemon game with the graphics/level design/stupidly long story known in the Final Fantasy games. I'd really, really like that. The game could play out kinda like a full season from the anime.

Also, Armored Mech (any of them) and EVE? Genius! Dust514 should be scrapped and this should take its place.

In other news, the only reason I don't play dorf fortress is because I can't handle ASCII or any of the texture packs :(
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:32 am UTC

Dorf Fortress + Portal.

I'd say Minecraft + Portal but that's already achievable via a mod.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:17 pm UTC

Ortus wrote:I liked FFVIII :( Probably because it was the first FF I played, and oh yeah gunblade.
I saw and met Nobuo Uematsu last night in concert so I have been in a FF fix lately, VIII is my favorite and much of the reason has to do with aesthetics. The music and the 2d backgrounds were gorgeous.

Staying on topic, I would combine FFXII and FFXIII. Mostly I would take the graphics and battle system from 13 and add it to 12's license board, weapons, and story.(I really hated 12's battle system, if it were better it would be awesome, as is the game is pretty meh). Also I would take 13's graphics and apply to every FF game. Actually, I would take 13's graphics and add it to nearly every game ever. (It's just so fucking pretty(I wish real life could be that pretty))
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

Battlefield and Battlestations: Pacific.

The gameplay mechanics and vehicular focus of the Battlefield games, combinged with the massive scale of Battlestations and its massive air and sea battles (and naval landings in Pacific).

Titan mode with carriers?

Sweet.

Massive air battles, with teams having about 12-15 planes. Per carrier/airfield.

It would take really large match sizes though. I'd say MAG sized at least to get the right scale.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

So, talking about Armored Core and EVE.... see: Perpetuum. It's incredibly alpha, but it's basically a rip from EVE... with mechs...
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

Darksiders, Dwarf Fortress, and Pokemon.

The combat and tone of darksiders, the complexity, cruelty, and plain weird shit of dwarf fortress, and the creatures of pokemon.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:38 pm UTC

Forza Motorsport 3 and The Secret of Monkey Island
The rage in their eyes, torches in their hands
And the power of the cross bringing fear to all the land
And darkness will come to us all.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

Ortus wrote:So, talking about Armored Core and EVE.... see: Perpetuum. It's incredibly alpha, but it's basically a rip from EVE... with mechs...

Bumping this up so I remember to check it when I get home from work.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Return to “Gaming”