Board games anyone?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

emceng

Re: Board games anyone?

Postby emceng » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

OK, first impressions from last night.

It took a little bit to get into, but now I think we have the rules figured out - just probably missing some nuance.

I don't see how you can win most games. We had two people, and what looks like one of the easiest Ancient Ones - Yig I think. He got out, and if I hadn't f'ed up, we would have won. We also nearly won by sealing all the gates - mainly because we got monster surge three turns in a row near the beginning. Again, poor rolling by me screwed us.

The thing is, looking at Ancient One cards, if he gets out you are usually hosed. My problem is how do you stop or slow him down from getting out? He gets a doom token each turn. The only way to remove those is to seal a gate with an elder thing, right? And the only way to get the elder thing is to seal a gate with clue tokens, right? (or maybe with cards, we didn't see that many cards). The thing is, you add 1 doom token each turn, but it takes 3-4 turns to seal a gate - 1 turn to fight monsters outside it, 1 turn to get to the 1st part of the outworld, 1 turn to move to the second area, then 1 turn to get out and try and seal it. So with two people, even if we both seal gates at the same time, you have a net loss of 2 gates, as well as 2 more doom tokens.

Wither - does that have a sanity cost? I was a little confused by the 0/0 numbers on it.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

The trick is sealed gates and monster surges. New gates won't open every turn. The more gates are open, the more probable is that there is a monster surge. As bad as that seems, it's preferable to having one more gate to open. Also, once in a while, if you seal a few gates, the game will tell you to open a gate that you have sealed before. That's the best because nothing happens.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:34 am UTC

Can someone recommend a game like Arkham Horror? I'm looking for a good cooperative game for 2 or more people. Played AH at at friends house the other week, and thought it was pretty cool, but I would like to get something different, that my fiance and I could play with just the two of us, as well as more people. AH was good, but as my friend already has it, I was hoping for something different.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:35 am UTC

You might look into the Pandemic board game.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:49 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:You might look into the Pandemic board game.

Yeah, I've heard good things about that.

The only other co-op game I own is the Space Hulk: Death Angel card game, which is surprisingly fun, and very very hard. 1-6 players I think.
Totally worth it for around $20 bucks.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:11 am UTC

Yeah, I would agree. Pandemic is the best fully co-op game that I know. It's a lot simpler and quicker than Arkham Horror, but it's still a interesting game. Betrayal at House on the Hill is also great, but its not fully co-op (one person becomes the traitor) and I don't think it would be good for two.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Ok, 2nd playthrough of AH. We won, but I'm not sure we were doing a few things correctly. 1, we were putting out a doom token each turn, instead of just when a gate opens. 2) I am not sure we fought the Ancient one correctly. Ok, so my fight was at 4, then I had a shotgun. Yig is a -3. So I can roll 5 dice, and any 6s count double? Between the two of us I think it only took 3-4 rounds to take off all ten doom tokens.

We did have major issues fighting monsters during the game. Neither of us started with any sort of magic weapon, and the first like 5 monsters all had physical resistance or immunity. That made it pretty hard to defeat any monster or even get close to a gate. I finally attacked some monster that draws you into the nearest gate if you lose - so I intentionally lost.

I think we are missing some nuance too. I wanted to explore more locations and shops the 2nd time through, but just didn't have a chance. Between the game being short due to adding a doom token each turn, and not being able to kill monsters for trophies to spend, the shops were somewhat useless.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

Second the Pandemic vote; it's the game that got me addicted to boardgaming.

It's sort of AH lite, in that it's a bit more streamlined, but you have to cooperate more. It's certainly not an easier game, although it's learning curve is probably gentler.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

JQH

Postby JQH » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

Boardgames I like:

Carcassonne. Some friends recently aquired it. Very addictive.
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Serious blogging at http://jaycueaitch.wordpress.com/

Geeky blogging at http://alternatiescorporation.wordpress.com/

Rackum

Postby Rackum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

I'll throw a relatively new (and unmentioned) one in here: Small World. Developed by the creator of Vinci, it's supposedly a remake of Vinci. I've never played Vinci myself, but I very much enjoyed Small World.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

If you just want a 1v1 game, I can't recommend Mr. Jack highly enough. Very fun and very deep.

Also, Wasabi, I just played that today, its quite entertaining.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:08 am UTC

emceng wrote:Between the two of us I think it only took 3-4 rounds to take off all ten doom tokens.
I believe you need one success per player to pull off a doom token.

emceng wrote:We did have major issues fighting monsters during the game. Neither of us started with any sort of magic weapon, and the first like 5 monsters all had physical resistance or immunity. That made it pretty hard to defeat any monster or even get close to a gate. I finally attacked some monster that draws you into the nearest gate if you lose - so I intentionally lost.
Yeah, this can be a giant problem. One of the other benefits of having a bunch of characters is your pool of starting items is larger- it's more likely that someone can be effective against anyone.

Generally, I think the thing to do in a case like that is pool cash and send someone to the Curiositie Shoppe in the hopes of picking up a magic weapon.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:24 pm UTC

Rackum wrote:I'll throw a relatively new (and unmentioned) one in here: Small World. Developed by the creator of Vinci, it's supposedly a remake of Vinci. I've never played Vinci myself, but I very much enjoyed Small World.

This one is good with 4-5 players but I find its quite lacking with 2-3 players. There also seem to be some combinations that are just completely overpowered compared to others (e.g., Spirit trolls in a multiplayer game).

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
emceng wrote:Between the two of us I think it only took 3-4 rounds to take off all ten doom tokens.
I believe you need one success per player to pull off a doom token.

Ok, so does that mean you need 10 rounds at minimum to kill a monster with 10 doom tokens? That makes it nearly impossible to beat most Ancient Ones.

We had two people. I rolled 5 attack dice, and the other person was rolling 8 or so. Between the two of us and my shotgun, we were getting 3+ hits each round, which I was taking to mean we could remove 1.5+ doom tokens.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:12 am UTC

emceng wrote:Ok, so does that mean you need 10 rounds at minimum to kill a monster with 10 doom tokens? That makes it nearly impossible to beat most Ancient Ones.

We had two people. I rolled 5 attack dice, and the other person was rolling 8 or so. Between the two of us and my shotgun, we were getting 3+ hits each round, which I was taking to mean we could remove 1.5+ doom tokens.
The first statement looks incorrect, the second statement looks correct (read about it here). I believe that's done so that you don't have 8 people each rolling two successes and knocking out the Old One in a single round.

The Final Battle is supposed to be a Herculean challenge- and I can see them going very badly, very quickly. Cthulhu almost seems like the tamest- you have a (pretty) hard limit of 7 rounds until you die, but can't die all that much faster- but requires 2-3 successes per person per turn at a -6 penalty.

She

Postby She » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:02 am UTC

You need one success per player, as in for a three-player game you need three successes to remove a doom token. Those successes can come from the same player - and sometime they have to, as for example anyone in an Other World when the Ancient One awakens is instantly devoured, but still counts to the number of players. We've had one player fight a four-player battle on more than one occasions, and needless to say it's pretty much impossible.
She speaks in the third person
So she can forget that she's me

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:09 am UTC

So, did a 2 player game and a 3 player game on Saturday, against Yig and then Shub-Niggurath. Lost the first game in the Elder One Awakens battle (barely- we got him down to 1 doom token), and then handily won the second game.

I was surprised at how close we can the first game- we were the Psychologist (me) and the Nun and started with pretty crappy stuff, and Yig popped out very quickly because of the number of gates on the board. I was rolling maybe 1 die against him (and was cursed), and hit him once, I think. The other guy was doing fairly well, and managed to do the other 17 damage we did to him, but that was all from spell power- I was healing him until I couldn't take the speed penalty and steadily creeped towards death, then he had just so many dice to roll to try to kill him- and it was unlikely, and it didn't happen. But it seemed like most things were going wrong, and then we were close?

The second game another guy joined us, and we were the Psychologist (me again), the Nun, and the Gangster. I drew the Tommy Gun, the Gangster automatically had one, and the Nun drew an Enchanted Blade on the first turn or two- I traded him the Tommy Gun for the Blade and some spells (because, Nun with a Tommy Gun? That's solid gold!). I think Shub-Niggurath is actually my favorite Ancient One to fight, because all monsters having increased toughness is a good thing if you have a bit of fight ability- we were swimming in rewards (the nun, by the end of the game, had bought 6 or so allies).

I also came to realize just how awesome being the deputy is- in many player games, there's generally someone in all parts of the board. In few player games, it makes it so you can just pop around collecting clue tokens or jumping into an open gate from the other side of Arkham.

She

Postby She » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:17 am UTC

Not to say you wouldn't have won, but a small rules reminder: you can never have two of the same item. If you draw another one, it's discarded or shuffled (not sure) and you draw a new one.

How did you win the second game - no gates open, five elder signs or did you kill him in battle?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:43 am UTC

She wrote:Not to say you wouldn't have won, but a small rules reminder: you can never have two of the same item. If you draw another one, it's discarded or shuffled (not sure) and you draw a new one.
Hm, I don't think I've heard that rule before. Time to scour the book the next time I see it (does this also apply to spells?). To clear up some possible confusion- I traded the Tommy Gun to the nun, who was played by a male player. (And, since it's 2-handed, you wouldn't get much out of having two of them anyway).

She wrote:How did you win the second game - no gates open, five elder signs or did you kill him in battle?
It's 6 sealed gates, not 5, but we won with ~4-5 sealed and all gates closed. We got several monster surges, which was rather lucky- since it meant no gate and more monsters for us to devour. Final Battle would have been trivial- we each had ~5 trophies (and the Nun would have had a lot more if he knew we were going to fight the Ancient One and so hadn't cashed them in for allies) and significant firepower- even with Shub-Niggurath's -6 we would have been taking him down at a nice clip, and then had plenty of 'health' as padding.

MHD

Postby MHD » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

If you can get it, a 25x25 go-esque board and four difference colours of stones.

MULTI GO!
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:32 pm UTC

If you're into party games, try IDENTIK, Absolute Balderdash, Wits & Wagers.
If you're into heavier games, I haven't played a game that's more addictive than Shadows Over Camelot
"Luther...I think I've contracted left-handedness..."
- Mister Sloordge, Balderduck

ian

Postby ian » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:52 am UTC

I know Ticket to Ride has been mentioned in here before, and seems to have a god (or even great) rep, but is it suitable for just two people?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:42 am UTC

I would say no, as the game will basically stalemate as you each just fuck with the other person.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Herra Monologi

Postby Herra Monologi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:53 am UTC

I played Ticket to ride lot at summer of 2008 and I think that it works ok, with only 2 players. Still if you are looking for 2 players game I would choose something else.

I'm looking for good Napoleon era strategy game. Any ideas?

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I would say no, as the game will basically stalemate as you each just fuck with the other person.

With ticket to ride europe that isn't a huge problem because if you cut someone off, they can use a station. I've played with two and its not quite as good, but it still works. It makes it a really quick game.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Best Two Player Games: Mr. Jack! and Wasabi. Seriously, I haven't seen anyone play Mr. Jack and not love it.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

ian

Postby ian » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

Does mr jack involve killing prostitutes? i don't think my gf would go for that.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

ian wrote:Does mr jack involve killing prostitutes? i don't think my gf would go for that.

Nope, no killing prostitues. There isn't any killing in the game actually. There are 8 characters on the board. One player plays as Mr. Jack, whose identity is secret and is trying to escape the city, the other plays as the police, who are trying to catch Mr. Jack. Each character has a special ability - and each side gets to move any two of them on a given turn.

Basically, one person tries to figure out who Mr. Jack is, the other tries to prevent that and have Mr. Jack escape. It takes about half and hour a game and there is a shocking amount of depth to it.

Herra Monologi

Postby Herra Monologi » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:49 am UTC

Little similar game is Nuns on the run. Group of apprentices try to get their secret wish (aka brandy or loveletter) somewhere from the monastery and get back to their chambers uncaught before sunrise. Same time two nuns patrol around the monastery. Nunplayers must choose paths that they will follow unless they hear or see something suspicious. Fun game, works with 2-6 players.

She

Postby She » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

I second Nuns on the run. It's fun to play as the novices, just writing your moves down and only placing your player piece on the board when yu get caught, but it's even more fun (to me) to play as the grownups trying to catch them. You have to choose a path to walk and tell everyone, like "I will now patrol this corridor and then go to the kitchen" and within keeping to that try to catch the novices anyway. But as soon as you hear or see anyone, you may do whatever you like, meaning sometimes, you can use information you (the player) has but which isn't really available to the nun your moving.

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:32 pm UTC

I've disliked Nuns on the Run ever since the False Noise Token I placed led to 5(!) other novices being caught. I'm stupid like that :P
Environ 20% plus chouette.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

I am LOVING Agricola, but dismayed at how few people want to play it.

I've played solo and done pretty well, but that's a lot less fun.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

Ok, anyone have a suggestion or two for simple, fun board games I can play over the holidays with my parents? I have lots of games, but they seem to have issues with too much complexity. We have enjoyed Balderdash, 500, Scattergories, that one with 4 categories(red is trivia, yellow spelling, blue is playing with clay, green is acting).

We tried MunchkinQuest last Christmas. It went ok, but the game was a little too long.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:40 am UTC

emceng wrote:that one with 4 categories(red is trivia, yellow spelling, blue is playing with clay, green is acting).
Cranium.

All my favorite games are favorites because of their complexity, so I don't have very good advice here. Pit is good for casual, as is Apples to Apples.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:12 am UTC

emceng wrote:Ok, anyone have a suggestion or two for simple, fun board games I can play over the holidays with my parents? I have lots of games, but they seem to have issues with too much complexity. We have enjoyed Balderdash, 500, Scattergories, that one with 4 categories(red is trivia, yellow spelling, blue is playing with clay, green is acting).

We tried MunchkinQuest last Christmas. It went ok, but the game was a little too long.

Monopoly or Risk maybe?
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:24 am UTC

emceng wrote:Ok, anyone have a suggestion or two for simple, fun board games I can play over the holidays with my parents? I have lots of games, but they seem to have issues with too much complexity. We have enjoyed Balderdash, 500, Scattergories, that one with 4 categories(red is trivia, yellow spelling, blue is playing with clay, green is acting).

Cheeky Monkey is a children's game by the board game designer that made Through the Desert, Tigris and Euphrates, Lost Cities, etc. Its a lot of fun, even as an adult (I've never actually played it with kids). It's very simple and short, but has some interesting strategy. Not quite the same type of game as the others you mentioned, but it might be worth checking out.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:11 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:

Monopoly or Risk maybe?

Both are too long, and everyone in my family hates playing against me in Risk - I have a reputation for lucky dice. Like the time in Axis and Allies I had a solo bomber defend and kill an attacking bomber in about th 5th round of the battle.

telcontar42 wrote:

Cheeky Monkey is a children's game by the board game designer that made Through the Desert, Tigris and Euphrates, Lost Cities, etc. Its a lot of fun, even as an adult (I've never actually played it with kids). It's very simple and short, but has some interesting strategy. Not quite the same type of game as the others you mentioned, but it might be worth checking out.[/quote]

I'll check those out.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

How about the card game Bang! It's great fun.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

I like a game called 'therapy', you all have to answer questions about each other and general society.

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:Monopoly or Risk maybe?

God no. Settlers is always fun, especially when Monopoly is like your only other gaming experience.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

Return to “Gaming”