Board games anyone?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Snark

Re: Board games anyone?

Postby Snark » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:38 am UTC

Just went with my wife to a game shop in Washington DC that has free weekly (Thursday 6-10 at Labyrinth Games and Puzzles) game nights. Played Bang 3 times.

I am so doing this 3 times a month at least! So much fun.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

Oh yeah, played Mad Scientist over Christmas. It was ok, some cards were better than others. Made people gasp for breath in laughter when combining the 'Spork' card with the 'Raise the Dead' goal.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:05 am UTC

Played my first-ever games of Power Grid and Puerto Rico yesterday, along with Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne. Fun times, and Power Grid is really interesting.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:48 am UTC

I want to play Power Grid sometime. I played my first games of Warmachine today. I got totally stomped by more experienced players, but it was fun.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

I just got "Merchant of Venus", the new edition, which includes the classic version.

I haven't been able to play it properly yet, as the first set up of the game, with figuring out the rules, took forever. Does anyone have any experience with this game? Browsing Boardgamegeek, it seems that the fanbase is split over which version is the better - classic or new. Any opinions here?

Have only tried the new version yet. It worries me somewhat that most of the challenges appear to be early-game - is the game any fun late-game? Or is it just a die-roll money-grind?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:25 am UTC

Anyone else played Room 25? It is my new favorite traitor game. Haven't tried the other modes yet, but they seem like they would get stale.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Purky

Postby Purky » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:41 am UTC

Eseell wrote:I want to play Power Grid sometime. I played my first games of Warmachine today. I got totally stomped by more experienced players, but it was fun.

Warmachine/hordes is a great game and is a lot of fun.

Aside from that I've been playing Last Night on Earth, Chaos in the Old World, Super Dungeon Explore and Munchkin :)

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 am UTC

So Geek and Sundry have declared March 30th "International Tabletop Day". Anyone going to do anything for it?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:27 am UTC

My local game shop is hosting a thing, but that's also the night of an Origins symposium at ASU. So I'm probably doing the sciencey thing and not the gaming thing.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:22 am UTC

ConMan wrote:So Geek and Sundry have declared March 30th "International Tabletop Day". Anyone going to do anything for it?

It happens to be the regular twice-monthly gaming night for my board-gaming group, so I won't be doing anything unusual...

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:So Geek and Sundry have declared March 30th "International Tabletop Day". Anyone going to do anything for it?

http://www.labyrinthgameshop.com/ which I've previously mentioned happens to be having a Steve Jackson game day from 12-5 so I'll probably try to make it to that.

Edit: Learned how to play Ticket to Ride and Tokaido last night (March 7) at last night's board game night. Both were fun, but the turn order in Tokaido was too weird to enjoy.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:21 am UTC

I read through this thread, trying to decide which game to buy, and if anything I'm more undecided.

If I had to buy one boardgame, which should it be?

(My friends already have:
-Carcassone
-Colonists of Catan
-Smallworld
-Risk
-Monopoly
)
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:25 am UTC

Do you like incredibly long, complex 4X games? Twilight Imperium.
Do you like long games that are also RPGs? The Quiet Year.
Do you like long games that are just economic board games? Power Grid (I've played it since that post up there.)
Do you want a short palette cleanser for between the long ones? Tsuro.
Edit: Or do you want co-op? Buy Pandemic.
Double Edit: I was going to add more things, but what it comes down to is that I'm bad at recommending just one thing. There are so many genres.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:33 am UTC

I also recommend Eclipse as a 4x that is a bit shorter than TI.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

It really does depend on a lot of factors. I'd ask more - what do you like about the games you have played, what do you not like, and are you looking for something that is a small step away from those ones or one that fills a very different niche?
pollywog wrote:

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

Important questions when recommending a boardgame purchase:

1) How many players do you normally have? (no point recommending Resistance: Avalon with a 5-player minimum when you usually play with 3-4)
2) How long is a session for you? (no point recommending Dominant Species if you can't manage the 4 hours it often takes)
3) What level of rules complexity are you prepared to put up with? (rulebooks range from something like Fluxx - double-sided A4 sheet - to something like Magic: the Gathering, where the Comprehensive Rules have probably passed 200 pages of Word document by now)
4) Are you more interested in theme or mechanics? (Merchants & Marauders is a game of piracy and trading in the Caribbean; Ingenious is a game about placing hexagonal dominoes on a hexagonal grid the match colours)
5) Is the goal of gaming to win? Or to hang out with friends with a structured activity to give you an excuse? (King of Tokyo is great fun if you don't take it too seriously; if you take winning seriously, then Battlestar Galactica is going to be a better fit)

Any of the games I've listed would be a reasonable purchase for the right group - and almost never played by the wrong one.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Important questions when recommending a boardgame purchase:

1) How many players do you normally have? (no point recommending Resistance: Avalon with a 5-player minimum when you usually play with 3-4)
2) How long is a session for you? (no point recommending Dominant Species if you can't manage the 4 hours it often takes)
3) What level of rules complexity are you prepared to put up with? (rulebooks range from something like Fluxx - double-sided A4 sheet - to something like Magic: the Gathering, where the Comprehensive Rules have probably passed 200 pages of Word document by now)
4) Are you more interested in theme or mechanics? (Merchants & Marauders is a game of piracy and trading in the Caribbean; Ingenious is a game about placing hexagonal dominoes on a hexagonal grid the match colours)
5) Is the goal of gaming to win? Or to hang out with friends with a structured activity to give you an excuse? (King of Tokyo is great fun if you don't take it too seriously; if you take winning seriously, then Battlestar Galactica is going to be a better fit)

Any of the games I've listed would be a reasonable purchase for the right group - and almost never played by the wrong one.

1) 4-5, occasionally 6.
2) Currently 1-2 hours, but that's because we don't have any lengthy games yet.
3) 200 pages is pushing it, but complexity is ok.
4) I like theme.
5) I very rarely win, and yet continue playing.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:38 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:5) Is the goal of gaming to win? Or to hang out with friends with a structured activity to give you an excuse? (King of Tokyo is great fun if you don't take it too seriously; if you take winning seriously, then Battlestar Galactica is going to be a better fit)

However, if you take winning too seriously, then Battlestar Galactica could become a horrible idea.

I'm thinking of picking up Power Grid and Ticket to Ride when I get home. They seem like they'd be good fits for my Wednesday night board gaming group (where we normally play one short-sih game for about an hour, then a longer game for up to 2 hours), and get recommendations all over the place. Are they infeasibly heavy / bulky to chuck in a suitcase for a long-distance flight?

Our current communal collection is: Settlers of Catan (3 copies, 1 with Cities & Knights, 1 with 5-6 player expansion); Fluxx; Arkham (with Dunwich Horror); Munchkin; Carcassone (with Inns and Cathedrals); Dominion; Dixit; Bohnanza; Battlestar Galactica; Castle Panic... and probably a couple more I'm forgetting. Obviously Arkham and BSG don't work in the timescale we have on Wednesday night, they're weekend games.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:19 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:5) Is the goal of gaming to win? Or to hang out with friends with a structured activity to give you an excuse? (King of Tokyo is great fun if you don't take it too seriously; if you take winning seriously, then Battlestar Galactica is going to be a better fit)

However, if you take winning too seriously, then Battlestar Galactica could become a horrible idea.

I'm thinking of picking up Power Grid and Ticket to Ride when I get home. They seem like they'd be good fits for my Wednesday night board gaming group (where we normally play one short-sih game for about an hour, then a longer game for up to 2 hours), and get recommendations all over the place. Are they infeasibly heavy / bulky to chuck in a suitcase for a long-distance flight?

Our current communal collection is: Settlers of Catan (3 copies, 1 with Cities & Knights, 1 with 5-6 player expansion); Fluxx; Arkham (with Dunwich Horror); Munchkin; Carcassone (with Inns and Cathedrals); Dominion; Dixit; Bohnanza; Battlestar Galactica; Castle Panic... and probably a couple more I'm forgetting. Obviously Arkham and BSG don't work in the timescale we have on Wednesday night, they're weekend games.

If you take winning too seriously, then playing any game is a horrible idea. BSG does have enough chance that the best team doesn't always win, so something like Diplomacy, where it's all down to player interaction, may be better for the serious gamers, but BSG also suffers if one or two players don't take it seriously enough, because they can wreck the game for their team.

I prefer Elder Sign to Arkham Horror because it's quicker, more portable, and takes up less table, but has a lot of the same flavour (and a lot of the same pieces for that matter). Ticket to Ride is good, and light enough that even the less-frequent gamers I know enjoy it. I've not managed to play Power Grid yet, but it gets good reviews from some of my friends. Over on Board Game Geek, there are people who suggest getting a later version of TtR rather than the original due to longevity issues - with the original's ticket selection, after the first hundred or so plays, you have too much of an idea of what the available tickets are, so you get to know which locations to focus on - there are other versions with a better spread of tickets, so you don't get the same long-term issues. Of course, if you're playing the game enough to reach that point, you'll have got full value for money anyway...

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Anyone have suggestions for good co-op board games? My brother and I are way, way too competitive with each other when gaming, so co-op would be better. Similarly, my sister gets grumpy when losing, so again co-op. Not a huge fan of Arkham. Any other suggestions?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

I was impressed by the Gears of War board game. I wasn't really a fan of the video game, but I enjoy the board game quite a bit.

Not a board game, but Space Hulk: Death Angel. is pretty fun.

There's also Pandemic & Forbidden Island, which are pretty popular. I tend to prefer Forbidden Island.

I'm also a big fan of Mice & Mystics. I haven't played it in a while (since around November), but I finally got my hands on a copy, so I'm hoping to play more soon.

Also, I'll +1 what rmsgrey said about Elder Sign. I don't feel like Arkham Horror has aged very well since 2005 compared to a lot of what's coming out now, plus the time investment is generally too much for me (though I have had games take only 2 or 3 hours). But I have a lot fun with Elder Sign. A lot of the same flavor, but much simpler and plays much faster.

There's also the D&D board games which can be pretty fun.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Mordus

Postby Mordus » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Got a few of my friends together yesterday to deal with my board game fix. I haven't been able to get out to my local group in a while because of schedule. I taught them the joys of Arkham Horror and Blood Bowl Team Manager. I tried to get the expansion for it before I met them, but the place I usually go to was closed. Has anyone tried it, are the new teams/features fairly balanced?

Next time I promised them Runewars mwahahah. I can't wait for that one. It's so hard to find people to do it at the local game nights since people are typically only there for 2 to 4 hours and want shorter games so they can get more in.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

Robo-Rally is fairly high on my list of "games I enjoy but which have a pretty narrow potential audience" - each turn, you lay down 5 cards out of a hand of 9, each of which contains a different instruction for your robot - move forward 3, 2 or 1 spaces, move backwards 1, turn left, turn right, or u-turn, then everyone reveals and resolves their first card (each card has a unique priority, so they resolve in order), then the board elements and robot weapons trigger, then everyone reveals and resolves their second card, and so on until you've resolved all 5 cards. Damage reduces your hand size - as you drop below 5 cards, program cards get "locked in", meaning your fifth card each turn will always be the same. At the end of the turn, you discard any program cards not in locked registers, and get dealt a new hand for next turn. At the start of a turn, you can declare that you'll be shutting down at the end of turn to spend the turn repairing, which is one way to recover (the other is to have your robot destroyed - by damage or by driving into a pit - lose a life, and respawn).

The goal is to be the first robot to touch a number of checkpoints (marked by flags) in order (or be the last robot surviving - though getting to the final flag is not a foregone conclusion even without other robots getting in your way)

Having to think through 5 moves at a time, allowing for board activity (and potential enemy interference) makes this enough of a brain-burner to be a hard sell for most gamers, and I suspect the game would get old eventually, but I'd be happy to find out...

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:32 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I'm thinking of picking up Power Grid and Ticket to Ride when I get home. They seem like they'd be good fits for my Wednesday night board gaming group (where we normally play one short-sih game for about an hour, then a longer game for up to 2 hours), and get recommendations all over the place. Are they infeasibly heavy / bulky to chuck in a suitcase for a long-distance flight?

TTR has a fairly standard-sized box for a modern board game, maybe on a par with Dominion. Power Grid is even more compact, and I'd say it's about the same size as a standard Monopoly box.
pollywog wrote:

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:49 am UTC

Thanks, I'll probably pick them up then.

Incidentally, the box for Dominion is really pointlessly huge. I transferred the entire game into a plastic box about a third of the size of the one it came in as soon as I got it. $2 plastic box and $1 of rubber bands and now the game actually fits in my bag when I want to play it with friends. I know this is a problem for a lot of games, but at least with most games there's something (like a board, or fiddly pieces) that justifies the box dimensions or complexity. With Dominion it's just a big pack of cards, and it's not even like the huge box is designed to support expansions (which is why Dixit, for example, has a big box - only one of the three card slots is used, so there are two empty ones for expansions to be included).

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Thanks, I'll probably pick them up then.

Incidentally, the box for Dominion is really pointlessly huge. I transferred the entire game into a plastic box about a third of the size of the one it came in as soon as I got it. $2 plastic box and $1 of rubber bands and now the game actually fits in my bag when I want to play it with friends. I know this is a problem for a lot of games, but at least with most games there's something (like a board, or fiddly pieces) that justifies the box dimensions or complexity. With Dominion it's just a big pack of cards, and it's not even like the huge box is designed to support expansions (which is why Dixit, for example, has a big box - only one of the three card slots is used, so there are two empty ones for expansions to be included).

I agree, although there are some people who have managed to fit everything inside the base set box by taking out the insert. Our collection uses fishing tackle boxes, which happen to be just a nice size for the cards and allow us to fit 1 of the "base" boxes (i.e. Dominion or Intrigue) plus either two large expansions or one large and two small, so everything up to Cornucopia fits inside two of them - except for the extra mats and tokens, which go in the third box along with Dark Ages and, eventually, Guilds.
pollywog wrote:

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

I went with Elder Sign. Played about 2.5 games today, and it's a lot of fun. It is rather luck-dependent though. We won the first two with absolutely no problem, and the were consistently at 1-2 stamina and sanity for the last game (which we did not finish). The rules omit some stuff though.

-Can investigators share items?
-Can investigators use more than 1 item/spell/ally on a turn? How about on a roll?
You rang?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:39 am UTC

Zarq wrote:I went with Elder Sign. Played about 2.5 games today, and it's a lot of fun. It is rather luck-dependent though. We won the first two with absolutely no problem, and the were consistently at 1-2 stamina and sanity for the last game (which we did not finish). The rules omit some stuff though.

-Can investigators share items?
-Can investigators use more than 1 item/spell/ally on a turn? How about on a roll?

I'd say "no" and "yes" respectively.

There's no rule allowing you to share items.

The rules which allow you to use items/spells/allies say when you can do so. So long as you meet those conditions, the fact you're also playing other cards doesn't matter. Note that there's no point playing multiple cards that add the yellow die to your pool - once it's in your die pool, including it in your die pool does nothing more...

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

I don't think I care much for Elder Sign. If I want to roll dice, I think I'd prefer King of Tokyo.

Mansions of Madness is a good compromise between Arkham Horror and Elder Sign, apparently, but it can still drag on for a while.

Lords of Waterdeep seems to be furiously popular lately, but note that practically none of its gameplay has anything to do with traditional Dungeons & Dragons. It is both surprisingly simple and yet has some curious depth.

7 Wonders is also very popular, probably because it plays up to seven players (or more, with the expansions) and only takes about half an hour.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I don't reckon I care much for Elder Sign. If I want to roll dice, I reckon I'd prefer King of Tokyo.

Mansions of RECKONING be a good compromise between Arkham Horror and Elder Sign, apparently, but it tin still drag on for a while.

Lords of Waterdeep seems to be furiously popular lately, but note that practically none of its gameplay hath anything to do with traditional Dungeons & Dragons. It be both surprisingly simple and yet hath some curious depth.

7 Wonders be also very popular, probably because it plays up to seven players (or more, with the expansions) and only takes about half an hour.

Major differences between Elder Sign and King of Tokyo: co-op v free-for-all; Cthulhu v Japanese B-movie; ES is more complex with added mechanics while KoT is very simple. I'm more likely to bring out KoT for non-gamers, but with more serious gamers, I'll bring out either.

Can't speak to MoM or LoW, not having played either.

7 Wonders, I've played a few times, and I wouldn't refuse to join a game of it, but I wouldn't hesitate to give up my seat to someone else either. Nothing against it as a game - it just doesn't grab me.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

If you like co-op, but not too co-op, Panic Station is fun. The players each control their own team and begin the game fighting ostensibly on the same side, but they can be subverted by the alien host in the station that you're raiding. The goal is for the players who remain human to kill the alien infestation, and the infected players to infect or kill all the human teams.

City of Thieves is also good, where each player controls a rival gang of thieves to loot a city of its possessions overnight and escape with as much treasure as possible.

folkhero

Re: Board games ænigmon?

Postby folkhero » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

So, a few weeks ago, I discovered that my town has a friendly local game shop that I was previously unaware of. In search of people to play board games with, I went to check it out some random Saturday (or maybe it was Sunday) to find that everyone there was playing Magic: the Gathering, or building decks, flipping through stacks of cards, etc. That's fine, the store and community are mostly Magic focused with some board gaming on the side. I see online that Wednesday is their board gaming night. Unfortunately Wednesday is the only night of the week I have standing plans and I'm reluctant to move some stuff around other people without knowing what their board game nights are like. I figured I could go on international tabletop day and see what their board gaming community is like; they have ITTD as an event on their facebook page and everything.

I got there an hour after the 'event' started. I thought that their would be some games ongoing, I could sit in and watch one and declare my interest in playing 'next.' I'm very socially nervous around people I don't know, so I'm in my car getting anxious that it will be really awkward, and blah blah. So then I tell myself it won't be that bad, if people are playing games in a public place they won't mind someone sitting in and watching, and it's not like I'm some kind of creepy weirdo or anything. So I'm walking towards the store, they have a little whiteboard sign up saying something about International Tabletop Day and I start thinking, "this will be fun, I just have to get over my anxiety a bit and I will get to play some games and meet some new people." So I walk in and see a bunch of people playing Magic, looking through binders of cards and opening packs. I look around some, pretending to browse the game collection, more people playing Magic. I turn the corner, table after table of people with Magic cards. Not a single god damned board game was open in the entire store. I wondered if I should ask the guy behind the counter if their was any board gaming to be had on this day. Before I had the chance he mad and announcement: a sale on some Magic expansion. That's when I knew that board games held no sway here, these were Magic lands, and I had to escape quickly before I found myself with a new hobby, one build to suck my wallet dry.

So that's how my weekend went, it was pretty lame.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Meanwhile my gaming club extended our regular evening meeting to an all-day one (10am to 2:45am - just under 16 hours) with attendance fees going to a local charity.

Along with several familiar games (Battlestar Galactica, Merchants & Marauders, Star Fluxx and Cthulhu Fluxx, King of Tokyo, Elder Sign, Resistance: Avalon) I finally got to play Galaxy Trucker - turns out I was consistently fastest building my ship, producing the prettiest ship, and having a reasonable range of parts, but between setting out in the lead each time, and not having played before to know what to focus on, I ended up coming joint-second behind the guy who was teaching the game (final scores 77, 50, 50, 24, so having a tie at all was probably unlikely)

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

folkhero - have you tried looking on Meetup? I don't know what size town you're in, but there may be a meetup group for board games.

So I played Summoner Wars this weekend. I enjoyed it, but I don't think it will have lasting power.

Basic setup is a board, with spaces for cards - I think 8x8. You start with creatures out, and your summoner. Creatures has special abilities, an attack value, and health value. Win the game by killing the opposing summoner. Summon more creatures by drawing cards from your deck, then spending magic to summon them. Magic is cards discarded from your hand to your magic pile.

There are maybe 6 starting decks in the set. I didn't play enough, but there may be some balance issues there.

Overall, not much in depth strategy. Some neat mechanics, but not a whole lot to make me play it again. I was also a bit disappointed in the cards. They are not a uniform color. They're not off on certain cards, so you can't stack the deck, but still, the cards are not the same shade.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:55 am UTC

emceng wrote:folkhero - have you tried looking on Meetup? I don't know what size town you're in, but there may be a meetup group for board games.

I've looked, there isn't a group that's for board gaming. There is an RPG group, not really something I'm interested in right now. There is also a skeptic/freethinkers group that has weekly game nights. They never seem to have more than 2 RSVPs, but it might be worth checking out anyway.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed May 01, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

I played a game of Mice & Mystics today. Well, part of it. We got wiped in the second room of the very first story. I rather liked the game, but holy fuck is it unforgiving.
You rang?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu May 02, 2013 1:32 am UTC

Yeah, it can be pretty rough. I consider my first couple plays of it as a learning experience. I've since played it a few more times and haven't lost again.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Kexizzoc

Postby Kexizzoc » Fri May 17, 2013 12:37 am UTC

Curious what people here might recommend: I'm looking for a board game experience that's fun with 2 players. I recently got my girlfriend into Magic the Gathering, and we're looking to spend our (limited) money on something new that maybe has a bit more than just cards to it; though I won't rule out a good card game, I'm curious about Netrunner, and I can't seem to get a confirmation on whether Citadel has a good 2-player mode or not. The catch is that we're abroad currently, so whatever we get has to fit into our suitcases on the return flight. Any advice?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed May 29, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

Kexizzoc wrote:Curious what people here might recommend: I'm looking for a board game experience that's fun with 2 players. I recently got my girlfriend into Magic the Gathering, and we're looking to spend our (limited) money on something new that maybe has a bit more than just cards to it; though I won't rule out a good card game, I'm curious about Netrunner, and I can't seem to get a confirmation on whether Citadel has a good 2-player mode or not. The catch is that we're abroad currently, so whatever we get has to fit into our suitcases on the return flight. Any advice?

For fits-in-suitcase size, you're mostly going to be looking at card games but there are probably a few smaller board games out there. There are also quite a few card games that don't necessarily feel like card games for different reasons - for example, Chrononauts uses a fixed tableau of cards to represent the timeline, so it behaves more like a modular board. Innovation is definitely a great game to play with someone else, but is also heavily card-based.
pollywog wrote:

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed May 29, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Carcassonne and Dominion both work pretty well with two players, and can be stored in a small space for easy suitcase-transport. Just take all the cards/tiles out of the box and use a ziploc bag or a few rubber bands; for Carcassonne you might not even need that - the box itself is fairly small.

Return to “Gaming”