LittleBigPlanet!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

r1chard

LittleBigPlanet!

Postby r1chard » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:44 am UTC

The anticipation for this game is killing me - has been doing so since GDC 2007

I've got all the HD videos downloaded from gamevideos. I've got screencaps from those as desktop backgrounds. And an avatar, of course :)

I don't have a PS3 yet - I'm waiting to see whether there's any PS3 + LBP bundle. Doesn't look like it at this point, but there's still time.

Spore will be a welcome distraction to keep me going through September / early October, but I don't believe it'll be as satisfying -- I'm concerned about the amount of actual gameplay, but we'll see...

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Re: LittleBigPlanet!

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:06 am UTC

Wahey. Probably the only game I will ever play online, ever. Unless they make a sequel, I guess.

I'll return to this thread when it's out to swap PSN tags.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:17 pm UTC

There's a PSN tag swapping thread already.

Yay, finally something else to play on my PS3.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

... Yes, I am well aware, seeing as how I created it and all. I meant specifically for the organisation of LBP sessions.

hero imprisoned

Postby hero imprisoned » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

As someone who doesn't own a PS3 and likely never will, I haven't followed any media surrounding this game.

Can someone explain in brief what makes it so appealing?

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:39 am UTC

For me the appeal lies in two areas:

Putting creativity into the hands of players. At witnessed with Spore there's clearly a whole lot of people out there who don't want to just be told what their game is, they want to affect it and create in it. There'll be the awesome, simple mechanisms for sharing content. Unlike Spore there's actual gameplay here too :)

The aesthetic. Oh boy, the aesthetic! I'll be playing with my daughter (almost 5), mocking stuff up with her wood blocks and other toys, and then creating them in the game! Sackboy rocks. Real-world materials.

The first public demonstration was at GDC 2007 on stage: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/9860 and I was hooked. My avatar is snipped from this video.

http://www.lbpcentral.com/little-big-planet-videos/ has a pretty good spread of videos to watch, including the LittleBigPoint presentation Sony did at E3 :)

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

Your definition of gameplay is silly and I reject it.

There is gameplay in spore. You can play it. It's fun. There's gameplay.

It's also a sandbox, by the company who makes sandboxs for a living. This game is the biggest most expansive sandbox to date, but it's still a sandbox. I'm not sure what you're expecting that's different from that. But saying that there's no gameplay in spore is silly.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

Sorry, I'll try to keep that discussion over in the Spore thread :)

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:56 am UTC

Am I the only person who heard the name of this game and expected it to be another game in the Little Big Adventure franchise?

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:47 am UTC

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:55 am UTC

I got a beta key :)

It's awesome. Cannot wait until the full game arrives.

Check youtube for videos of stuff people have created during the beta.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:10 am UTC

You got a beta key now? Hours before the beta ends? Suck.

guyy

Postby guyy » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:25 am UTC

...Dang. Now I wish I actually had a PS3. Any chance this might ever come out for other consoles, or PC?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:50 am UTC

Sony owned and published.

So that's a "no".

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:You got a beta key now? Hours before the beta ends? Suck.

Yeah, I got in about 5 hours on Friday and 6 hours on Sunday and now it's over.

Played through the packaged levels and all of the creation tutorials, including playing the levels with my daughter (turns 5 in November). She had some issues with the controls because her hands aren't quite big enough to comfortably reach the front buttons, but in the end she'd figured a grip on the controller allowing her to jump and grab.

We also threw together a simple run / jump / swing level with some interesting landscape and trees which was good fun. She'd throw an idea at me and I'd be able to implement it pretty quickly. Didn't use any of the more complex elements like pistons or chains. Didn't need to.

I also experimented with my jack-in-the-box (well, tree-in-the-box) idea but it didn't pan out immediately and it was late so I just played some other people's levels instead :)

BetaMaster

Postby BetaMaster » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:06 am UTC

I am super excited for LittleBigPlanet too! I reserved it a couple of weeks ago, and cannot wait for it to come out :D
I will also be interested in a LBP PSN swap upon its release, for sure!

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:52 am UTC

Hey, did anyone hear that GameStop is reportedly getting copies in tomorrow (Saturday, October 25) for those that preordered the game? I'm totally pestering all my stores the second I wake up.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

Whee!

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:17 am UTC

The game is great, but the online is laggy as fuck and often doesn't work at all. Hope they work on that.

Middle Child

Postby Middle Child » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

Big fan of this game..

Only problem I'm having with it is that no one played my level ;) lol

Everyone who did liked it. But it quickly fell off the face of the "Cool Levels" page into oblivion well short of the 50 plays needed for the Create trophy. If you want to give it a shot my PSN is "unintentional" and the level is "dissolve world" :P
Last edited by Middle Child on Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:The game is great, but the online is laggy as fuck and often doesn't work at all. Hope they work on that.
Yah, the online part didnt work for me at all. And I have a pretty decent connection (by NZ standards). Maybe I should just stick to try to play with people in the same country as me... Want to give it a go Jack Saladin?
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

The online has been better for me for the past while, but it definitely varies a lot depending on who I'm playing with. Sounds like you tried during a period of downtime, which there's been a bit of.

And sure, are you on my PSN list? I'll be playing videogames of various descriptions all day probably since I have to do something to drown my sorrow over the election and my computer has died, so send me a message if you wanna play any time.

Oh and I got a totally roxor t-shirt with Sackboy on it for preordering. Hells yeah.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:00 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:The online has been better for me for the past while, but it definitely varies a lot depending on who I'm playing with. Sounds like you tried during a period of downtime, which there's been a bit of.

And sure, are you on my PSN list? I'll be playing videogames of various descriptions all day probably since I have to do something to drown my sorrow over the election and my computer has died, so send me a message if you wanna play any time.

Oh and I got a totally roxor t-shirt with Sackboy on it for preordering. Hells yeah.
WHAT! I preordered, and all i got was an extra little costume for my sack boy. I am at work until 7pm unfortunately. I will send you a message when i get home.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:16 am UTC

I would like to play with some of you, but I can't because every time I try and play online with someone it gives me a "Cannot load player profiles" error. WTF. I don't want player profiles. I want to play the damn game.

Also, everything in my level got stuck together when I save and quit and now it's pretty much unplayable. Lame.

So far, I'm a bit disappointed. It feels like game that will be great in a month or two, but right now it's glitch city.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:35 am UTC

I'm getting "Failed to list game" whenever I try to play online atm...

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

Having a blast. Playing a bunch of user levels and the MM levels.

Have started a level of my own for my daughter (the MM levels start to get too hard for her). Some nice chap put up a level with building blocks in it. A complete set of the alphabet and numbers.

There's a couple of really strong threads over at neogaf - one is general discussion and the new one is just user level pimping (but none of the usual crap you see in the workshop pimping forum). I've lost the exact name of it, but it was "child's building blocks" or similar. I think I hearted it, but I'm not sure.

Occasionally a user level won't load which I put down to temporary network glitches because if I try again it works.

AFAIK coop network play is all done peer to peer so if it's laggy then you have your or your friend's network connection to thank, unfortunately. I've been playing with a few friends and had no lag. Occasional attempts at quick play resulted in people from other countries which had lag :(

ps. PSN is r1chardj0n3s :)

Middle Child

Postby Middle Child » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

THis game is too awesome.

I just submitted a series of three levels that you have to play in order. Might want to give it a shot...I tried to be similar to MM's levels but shorter. (And by that I mean friendly NPCs, ridiculous storylines a la flame-throwing cat etc). So if you like elevators to the Sun, check out "Edwina's Swamp". PSN: unintentional

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

I really suck at making levels. Any pointers?

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:14 am UTC

Draw it out on paper first? Make sure you have a firm idea of what you want? Play around a bit first to get inspiration?
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:32 am UTC

Sony and Bay12 Games really need to collaborate.
500%!

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:45 am UTC

So, this moderation thing is really getting ridiculous. http://kotaku.com/5089481/lbp-moderatio ... ccountable

Azure Palace, which some of you may have played, has been taken down. It was a pretty good level, always on page 1, and had nothing to do with any trademarked or copyrighted material in the universe. Nothing.

This actually is getting to be game-ruining stuff. The entire point of LBP is to foster a creative community to supply user created content. If you're pulling shit like this left and right, people aren't going to make you levels. They're simply not going to invest the time and effort if at any second, for no reason at all, their level may be deleted forever without so much as a word from the moderation crew.

If Sony and MM keep this up, they will kneecap the online community, and ruin the game. LBP without the online creation is a pretty, yet shallow and ultimately pointless platformer, and it will not survive as a franchise without strong community support.

Nice one Sony!

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

A lot of the single player stages are good, but it doesn't even begin to resemble a complete experience and in fact, they tell you at the end to go make levels, in lieu of providing an actual ending to what story they tried to inject. That's cute, provided you can actually get any sort of experience from the game. Now with this, you can't. Kotaku cited the blood in the level as possible grounds for removal, but even that's BS. One of the Islands levels has blood in it and that comes with the game.

I just don't get why they have this amazing, genre-changing game, and Sony has to keep pounding it in the back of the skull with a meat tenderizer. The servers are broken more than not, the level editor ruined my level, the page with news, top creators, and links still shows placeholder text, my "play, create, and share" scores remain at 0, and even though they apparently are unleashing the Nazis on levels with licensed content, the Mirror's Edge level remains on the first page untouched, and I've played levels shamelessly based on Bioshock, beatmania, TV shows (LittleBig NINJA WARRIOR!), and a multitude of songs (go to the "musical" tag) that all remain. It's got to be all okay, or none of it. You can't pick and choose like this, Sony.

Furthermore, this is just me, but I was a little cheesed that they made such a big deal about the song with the Qur'an lines in an effort to make a global game, and then when I get to the Metropolis level, whitch seemse to be based on America, the first outfit you get is a basketball uniform and bling. Then the levels are all about cars. Jeez. Thanks, guys.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Yep. It's like the game, the stuff on the disc, is everything it needed to be to be this incredible, super-hyped, mega-game that would change the face of gaming, but then they just did everything else wrong. And the everything else was the most important part.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:42 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:Yep. It's like the game, the stuff on the disc, is everything it needed to be to be this incredible, super-hyped, mega-game that would change the face of gaming, but then they just did everything else wrong. And the everything else was the most important part.
That is the thing. They really screwed this up. I was ranting and raving to my friends that this game was going to be awesome... then... it just isn't. It was a huge let down. I want to sell my copy. I mean, I pre-ordered the game. And then I had to wait because of the damn recall. And What do I get? A sub par game.

(I did however LOVE the ninja warrior level)

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:38 am UTC

I'm hoping they sort out their issues with the moderation.

My understanding is that the WoC and Azure Palace levels were griefed, put in the moderation queue and while in there they were unplayable. Now they've been looked at they're back available for play. Took way too long and with a complete lack of transparency. They must address this. I would also hope for repercussions for the griefers.

MM must be seriously pissed at what Sony is doing to their game. I reckon their next venture probably won't be for Sony...

Anyhoo, I spent a few hours last night and created a level for my daughter's birthday. She turns 5 today. I hope she likes it - will get to find out when I get home from work tonight :)

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:56 am UTC

I played this with four other friends at a party and it extremely fun. The gameplay was nice and the aesthetic was great. We played a few story missions, but had even more fun designing our own levels and playing them, despite the fact that the ones in the story were "better."

I guess playing through something you know that you created adds "fun" to the game.

Character creation was actually fun, for some reason. Especially when we busted out stickers and tried to make the others sackboys as stupid looking as possible

The only problems we had with the game were the 2.5 D design and, well, each other. Slapping someone into a fiery death pit never gets old. We never went online because the host's internet was broken, but after reading this thread I guess that that's a good thing.
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Zak

Postby Zak » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Heh, slapping people is especiallly fun when they don't know how to slap back.
*waggles eyebrows*

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:26 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Heh, slapping people is especiallly fun when they don't know how to slap back.

We kept the secret of slapping from around two people in our group.

...Yes. Slapping the defenseless is very, very fun
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:56 am UTC

Published my first level the other day, yay!

It's one I designed pretty much for my daughter (who just turned 5) and other players of her level of competence.

It's called For Abbey (and other kids)

Abbey really liked it and I'm working on a new level right now.

A cool moment was having a co-worker tell me how excited his son (6) was playing a level I made :)

Return to “Gaming”