Star Trek Online [STO]

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Star Trek Online [STO]

Postby keozen » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:55 am UTC

Ok, Star Trek Online.

For those of you who don't know the trials and tribble-ations (pun intended) that the development has gone through so far, here is a brief summary in a spoiler tag:

Spoiler:
The game was being developed by a studio called "Perpetual Entertainment" who cock-teased us for a couple of years with the of (very pretty) screenshot and bits of concept art. The game was touted to let you play any member of a bridge crew, so ships would be controlled by crews of multiple real people, a lot of people liked this idea, some people didn't.

Perpetual Entertainment went bust (more or less) in Dec last year and STO was officially "cancelled" by them in Jan.

An "Unknown Developer" bought the rights from Paramount to take over development of the game.

The worlds worst kept secret was then kept for a while as a big counter counted down on the Cryptic Entertainment (of City of Heroes fame) website that had a background that was concept art from Perpetual's STO.

Rumors were heard that all Perpetual had done in the 2+ years that they had developed the game had been produce some concept art, some Maya models and a rough game outline.

Cryptic announced officially that they were developing the game at the Trek annual convention in Vegas. They are starting more or less from scratch but already had a working version of the engine and some in-game footage as they are using a modified version of the "Champions Online" engine. The game will be set out differently to Perpetual's game in that each player will be Captain of their own ship (some people smiled at this, some people cried).

Suffice to say that it's touted to come out "in less than 3 years" (some people are hinting at the end of next year as a possibility but it's mainly believed that we'll see it in 2010.

Anyway, there's a gameplay trailer over at http://www.startrekonline.com
It's only a "as the game engine stands at the moment" trailer but looks very promising in my opinion.

Anyone else interested?

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Re: Star Trek Online [STO]

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

Well... I would've liked a style of graphics closer to eve, and the characters look terrible, but hey. Actually, everything but the characters looks awesome except there need to be more reflections. I really liked the perpetual design, but obviously that got nowhere and this looks like it might be a fair bit more generic MMOish.

Basically: If it's good, I'm there, otherwise I'll be quite displeased. If it's good, different and genuinely star trek then I probably won't shut the hell up about it.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

Requisite Penny Arcade Link.

Yes, you could do the "Get me 10 Bear Asses" style quests, just replacing it for.. I dunno.. Radioactive Asteroids or Comet Wrangling, and occasionally killing Pirates or something in a neutral area, but... Federation Space is too tamed, so you're going to be out on the borderlands, obviously. I'm just wondering why they're only using Federation and Klingons, particularly as in recent stuff they've been fairly peaceful towards one another, so faction-based PvP doesn't quite make sense..

Now throw in some Romulans or Jem'Hadar or something, and now the PvP makes a hell of a lot more sense.

goddamn I'm a fucking nerd... I mean, granted that Jem'Hadar isn't exactly difficult to spell, but I didn't even have to think about it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

I would probably play it, if it wasn't too much of a grind, and it revolved around the ships.

I can't envision playing a character to be a level 50 Warp Shield expert. Or a doctor, when the vast majority of combat is ship to ship combat.

I dont' want to do missions like, "find X number of crystals and repair your warp coil"

I think the game would be most fun if basically everyone is a ship captain, and levels and advancment is based on better upgraded ships.

Did anyone else play the online StarTrek game were all you did was pick a race, build a ship, then fight and do missions for what was essentiall money to upgrade your ship?

It was played on a grid, and factions could control space and take planets?

The game was both fun and very monotonous.

It was very exciting to get a top of the line ship and engage in large scale battles.

I never did get a Borg Cube, but I didn't have some decked out spheres.

If the online star trek could improve upon that concept and add a LOT more missions, as well as adding personal skills and stats for players, I would play it for sure.

I wouldn't want to play WoW in StarTrek form:
A Romulan asks you to bring him X number of Ferengi captives in exchange for a peace agreement to further federation and romulan relations... hohum.

Ixtellor

P.S. The day I lost my top of the line Borg Sphere to a top of the line Klingon ship, I quit playing. Couldn't bring myself to grind back up.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

I'd be happy if you can jump in someone else's ship and help them out. I mean, 70% of space combat on the shows were people working with each other to defeat one other ship. If a guild "fleet" buys a huge flagship I think it should be 10-mannable or something of that nature. I guess the whole thing would turn into puzzle pirates though. Perhaps I just have the urge to scream "I CANNOT DO IT CAPTAIN!!!!" into ventrilo, and get blown off the engine deck with blasts of steam.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:I'd be happy if you can jump in someone else's ship and help them out. I mean, 70% of space combat on the shows were people working with each other to defeat one other ship. If a guild "fleet" buys a huge flagship I think it should be 10-mannable or something of that nature. I guess the whole thing would turn into puzzle pirates though. Perhaps I just have the urge to scream "I CANNOT DO IT CAPTAIN!!!!" into ventrilo, and get blown off the engine deck with blasts of steam.

I think the idea of multiple people running a ship would be neat, different, (er doesn't EVE do that?), and require teamwork... but...

Do you really want to be in the middle of a battle, and the only thing you are doing is setting dials, reprogramming energy paths, diverting power and basically looking at a big screen of numbers and gages?

I would rather see my Ship chasing people down and watching the phasers tear their ship to shreads. You know.. the captains view.

Example at end of battle:

Captain "WOW , can you believe that Romulan ship blew apart and heavily damaged his partner, thus allowing me to tear apart his battered starboard side? I did notice some escape pods, so lets pick those up and get prisoners"

Engineer "That battle was amazing, my warp coil readouts were off the charts, there must have been a lot of incoming laser fire to the forward thrusters. Luckily I was able to type up a quick algorithim to transfer power between the coils and deflectors in a pattern that allowed for contious phaser fire and only a 26.7% loss in shield efficiency! By the way, how many ships were we fighting, who were they, and did we get any kills??"

Ixtellor - Won't be playing an engineer.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
Ixtellor - Won't be playing an engineer.

Maybe it could be more like a CooP RTS where everyone can do the same thing. Or think of it like WoW where you would control the same character and see the same action bars... One person steers, another shoots phasers, another shoots photons, another dedirects shields to where projectiles are coming, another is tractor-beaming in debris that give the ship stuff. So it would require teamwork but the benefit is that you can do 5 things at once.

So lets say you're by yourself and can move and phaser something, then you have to wait for a global cooldown to shoot a torpedo. But lets say a person in a little ship docs in yours and you can phaser and torpedo at the same time. The downfall is that theres two people in one ship instead of two people in two ships.

Having a large amount of people in one ship would be dumb, for the reasons you've brought up. At the same time I realize Data could run the entire enterprise on his on but last time I checked my mind is not composed of a Positronic Mat-OH GOD I'm getting sucked back into Trek lore!

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:21 am UTC

I desperately hope that this game turns out to be good, since my brother's and I were pretty much raised on Star Trek, and my father watched the Original Series when it first aired (my brother's constantly argue about who has the better birthday, one was born the same year that TNG came out, the other was born the same year Riker grew a beard and TNG actually got good). So we'll all be getting it and playing together, and I really hope it lives up to our desires.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:59 am UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
Jebobek wrote:I'd be happy if you can jump in someone else's ship and help them out. I mean, 70% of space combat on the shows were people working with each other to defeat one other ship. If a guild "fleet" buys a huge flagship I think it should be 10-mannable or something of that nature. I guess the whole thing would turn into puzzle pirates though. Perhaps I just have the urge to scream "I CANNOT DO IT CAPTAIN!!!!" into ventrilo, and get blown off the engine deck with blasts of steam.

I think the idea of multiple people running a ship would be neat, different, (er doesn't EVE do that?), and require teamwork... but...

Do you really want to be in the middle of a battle, and the only thing you are doing is being the heal-bot.

Seriously, MMOs already have plenty of classes who are less about direct combat and more about making everyone else fight better/faster/stronger.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

MMO's do that alot probably because it makes battles more interesting and strategic, the alternative being everyone launch ships at each other and whoever has the highest stats/more ships wins. Something tells me that not only where they break traiditional Star Trek spaceship battle styles to make it one-person-per-ship, but they will also invent magical healer ships, or ships that will make all the other ships do more damage.

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

It'll be interesting to see how they handle ship combat. I can't imagine many people want to play ensign red shirt or Johnny security chief. I'm hopeful for some sort of 1 man/woman per ship with the option of joining your guild/friends ship. I don't want to be showing up to battles in my shuttlecraft just because I don't like the idea of someone else flying me around space. I think we've all see the Leroy Jenkins video from WoW, I don't need someone like that at the helm. I think it'd be nice if you can work up the ranks of a race and get a NPC crew. Yay galaxy class ships.
"Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to read."

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

It's one person, one ship. No other options; every single player is a captain.

http://www.startrekonline.com/faq

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:MMO's do that alot probably because it makes battles more interesting and strategic, the alternative being everyone launch ships at each other and whoever has the highest stats/more ships wins. Something tells me that not only where they break traiditional Star Trek spaceship battle styles to make it one-person-per-ship, but they will also invent magical healer ships, or ships that will make all the other ships do more damage.

Repair Frigates, methinks? Defiant class Damage-Dealers, Galaxy class Tanks, some kinda Science/Research ship as a damage-enhancer ('cause they can.. scan for weaknesses.. or something)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:It's one person, one ship. No other options; every single player is a captain.

<a class="linkification-ext" href="http://www.startrekonline.com/faq" title="Linkification: http://www.startrekonline.com/faq">http://www.startrekonline.com/faq</a>

Gotcha, thanks. Was way too lazy to actually go read it myself. It'd be funny to see a bunch of ships zipping around buffing each other in something like RvR... or would it be Galaxy v. Galaxy? I wonder if you'll have the option of dictating captain's logs. I'm keen on making up random dates and providing ridiculous information on things that may or may not have happened. It'd be especially fun if I could replay them through global communications which I imagine ppl. will be able to shut off. By fun I mean obnoxious as fuck. My other request is the ability to beam random shit in to space. Nothing more unnerving than some random captain beaming people just outside your ship's only window.
Last edited by jerdak on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to read."

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Jebobek wrote:MMO's do that alot probably because it makes battles more interesting and strategic, the alternative being everyone launch ships at each other and whoever has the highest stats/more ships wins. Something tells me that not only where they break traiditional Star Trek spaceship battle styles to make it one-person-per-ship, but they will also invent magical healer ships, or ships that will make all the other ships do more damage.

Repair Frigates, methinks? Defiant class Damage-Dealers, Galaxy class Tanks, some kinda Science/Research ship as a damage-enhancer ('cause they can.. scan for weaknesses.. or something)

It would make sense to have some kind of E-Warfare ship that provides defensive buffs by hindering enemy targeting systems.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

jerdak wrote:It'll be interesting to see how they handle ship combat. I can't imagine many people want to play ensign red shirt or Johnny security chief. I'm hopeful for some sort of 1 man/woman per ship with the option of joining your guild/friends ship. I don't want to be showing up to battles in my shuttlecraft just because I don't like the idea of someone else flying me around space. I think we've all see the Leroy Jenkins video from WoW, I don't need someone like that at the helm. I think it'd be nice if you can work up the ranks of a race and get a NPC crew. Yay galaxy class ships.

The way the old startrek online ship game was like that. As you worked your way up, you got better ships.
In the beginning you would fight pirates and it would be challenging, in the end you would attack planetary defense systems, and it would require a fleet of ships to win.

I think a cool option is as you suggest, you can upgrade ships, weapons, armor, engines, AND
Crew. The old game didn't the crew option. I think it would be a great idea.
A Klingon warbird swoops in on a Federation frigate thinking "easy kill" and find out it has a worldclass crew that can make their ship perform at 150% or something like that.

After reading its 1 person 1 ship, I think I will probably play it.

I just hope it isn't a horrible boring grind like EVE.
And more so, I hope they seriously make getting around not as god awful.

While the entire fleet of a race shouldn't be able to instantly all warp into a battlefield, you shouldn't have to stare at a screen of scrolling stars for 15 mins.

Seems to me the challeng of all space ship games, is going to be giving the player something to do on long voyages that is productive, entertaining, and doesn't feel like a time sink.
(or just make it all near instant and see how it works out)
((example: You try to warp into a big fight, and you get a message you can't for some reason - like the enemy has an anti-warp device, or because of the radical fight going on, the systems computers can't compute a safe warp , or some such plot device in the name of game balance))

Ixtellor

P.S. Prepare to be assimilated.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

I would agree with the whole not-warp-into-battles thing, so what you get is:

Warp========================X destination

Warp===================X------- destination with small battle

Warp================X----------- destination with epic battle

Where = is every point you can warp to

X is the limit to where you will fall out of warp

- is the area where you have to move under impulse speed

Just so people can pick you up on long-range scanners.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon May 04, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

Is this game still coming out or is it dead?

Ixtellor

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Mon May 04, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

It's still in the womb; they probably won't be releasing that much information about it for a while. But yes, it's still in development.

Most recent news I could find: http://www.startrekonline.com/ask_cryptic/4-30-09

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue May 05, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

I would consider playing this if I were allowed to play races other than the Federation. Being a human captain seems boring. Give me my old Gorn battle cruiser please. Sure, the plasma torpedoes aren't direct fire but hit hard and 14 phasers are hard to argue with. :D

http://www.starfleetgames.com/
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Tue May 05, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

I know that you're talking more about the ship than the species, but at least you can look like a giant lizard... thing.
the FAQ wrote:Q: What races will I be able to play?
A: The plan is Human, Vulcan, Andorian, Klingon, Orion, Gorn, and several others. You will also be able to create your own race with its own custom look and attributes.
Personally, I dislike that you can create your own race. They already have enough of them out there to fit most descriptions you can think of.

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed May 06, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:I know that you're talking more about the ship than the species, but at least you can look like a giant lizard... thing.
A: The plan is Human, Vulcan, Andorian, Klingon, Orion, Gorn, and several others. You will also be able to create your own race with its own custom look and attributes.
Personally, I dislike that you can create your own race. They already have enough of them out there to fit most descriptions you can think of.

Sweet! I didn't read the FAQ (too lazy).

Making up races is pretty bogus. There's such a huge catalog to choose from already. There can only be so many variants of Bajoraan out there.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu May 28, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

Ok after seeing that damn new movie, I am super psyched to play this game.

I found the offical website: http://forums.startrekonline.com/

And they are predicting a release in 2010.. :(

This is going to be a must game for me, and it sounds very very very much like exactly the type of space game I have been waiting for.

Ixtellor

Awia

Postby Awia » Thu May 28, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

There is a link to the official site in Keo's post you know.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

PC Gamer had a major piece(front cover) on this game in this months issue. Looks awsome, with all the cool starship fighting I loved in the old command versions. Worth a read.

Ixtellor

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:And they are predicting a release in 2010.. :(

*necros*

Confirmed, appears to be 2/2/2010 in the USA, 2/5/2010 in the EU. I saw an ad for it, and Wikipedia confirms it.

However, that is now only about two, two and a half months away.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Pryomancer

Postby Pryomancer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

I'm pretty interested in it, having been a Trekkie for most of my life.

Hopefully I'll get accepted to the closed beta.
Kizyr wrote:...I don't feel comfortable putting 50 CDs into a microwave

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

I really should pay more attention to this game, but I've been too busy >.< Looks pretty cool, but I doubt I'll stop playing eve because of it.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Selorian

Postby Selorian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:11 am UTC

I'm really looking forward to STO. I'm glad that they are now allowing people to board your ship and take specific roles.

The Genesis planet system sounds very interesting as well.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

I just got done going through all the videos and developer IRC chats for this game, and I'm really impressed. My computer doesn't look like it'll be capable of supporting it, though, unless I buy a new video card, and I'm not even sure if that's an option anymore, since I don't have any PCIe slots. I'd have to check.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it now. It's looking more and more like it may really be worth playing.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:I know that you're talking more about the ship than the species, but at least you can look like a giant lizard... thing.

I want to make a Paklid. I want to make a Paklid. I want to look for things to make me go.

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

Cecilff2 wrote:

I want to make a Paklid. I want to make a Paklid. I want to look for things to make me go.

Pakled. It took me a couple minutes to figure out what you were talking about.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:58 am UTC

I'm pretty stoked. I realize that there's a fair chance of this game turning out to be crappy and stupid like World of Warcraft on a spaceship, where some Klingon ship called "dARTHvADERSpENIS371!!" blows you up and goes "LOL!!1".

But still. I invest hope in ST:O.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

WoW isn't really that bad with names, actually. There're no numbers in the names and I seem to remember the other rules about names keeping it fairly reasonable. The real problem is too many people picking perfectly legal names that are just stupid. Every rogue is named "deathstrike", etc.

Well. You heard him.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

Open beta is open. Get a key here if you haven't preordered: http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/star-trek-online/

Use the torrent to download: http://installers.crypticstudios.com/to ... .0.torrent
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:20 pm UTC

Yeah. I've been playing the open beta for a couple of hours. It's fun, but it's also complete pandemonium since half the interwebs are doing the same.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:11 am UTC

ETA on torrent: 10 days. Why can't I get my ports to cooperate here? Gah. I should have it Saturday when I can get on some better internet.

Well. You heard him.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:51 am UTC

Well, I asked for a key and now I'm waiting. This should be fun though. The torrent is also taking forever - my upload is already higher than download, and I've only got 1%!
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54 am UTC

Review so far: Very Promising

There are server problems and bugs but 90%+ of them seem to be server load related which is exactly what open beta is there to test so I'm not too worried so far.

Return to “Gaming”