Any Tropico fans?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Idhan

Any Tropico fans?

Postby Idhan » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:11 am UTC

I just wanted to say that I love Tropico (I have the Mucho Macho edition, which includes the Paradise Island expansion). In spite of the years that have passed, I still don't have Tropico 2: Pirates Cove

It's a very brightly colored, light-hearted game, with a very soothing soundtrack, I think. A brightly-colored, light-hearted, soothing-soundtracked game where you can have people gunned down in the streets because you hate filthy communists (or whatever), admittedly, but no less relaxing for all that.

I find the the best background is Booze Baron/Elected as Capitalist/Hard Working/Entrepreneurial/Cowardly/Ugly. Just getting one rum distillery (and maybe six sugar plantations) up and running is enough to pay for pretty much... anything you want. While you're at it, you could take the Free Elections condition to boost your score more -- rigging or cancelling elections isn't really the way to go with a cowardly background anyway.

I've had somewhat more limited success with a tourism-oriented economy. I can manage it, but I usually can't be quite as successful as I am as a booze baron.

Generally, I tend to please the capitalists and the communists. The religious and militarists tend not to like me, unless I manage to get a Papal Visit. The intellectuals and environmentalists seem to usually be kinda meh.

CogDissident

Re: Any Tropico fans?

Postby CogDissident » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

I love tropico as well, and if you want to continue to love it, don't play the second one. It shares almost nothing of the charm of the original

urger

Postby urger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

The people love you El Presidente, even I must admit a certain fondness for you.

I love Tropico, Ah my favorite was when I managed to arrest my entire population (those who didn't hightail it to rebel land) finishing up with the police arresting one another.

Good times.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

Ah. Tropico. How I love your greenery.

The downside to assassinating anyone who runs against you is that eventually people you need start running, like power station staff...
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:17 am UTC

Yes. If you want a high score, being a liberal democratic leader is definitely the way to go. Heck, even staying in power -- never mind getting a high score -- is probably trickier as an authoritarian dictator than as a democratic leader. True, you don't have to worry about getting voted out, but not only will coups, uprisings, rebellions, and even American invasions become more probable, but your economy will likely lag thanks to brain drain and productivity-strangling background choices (like generalissimo/military coup rather than booze baron/elected as capitalist) -- and once you find yourself in $25K in debt and the IMF imposes a $10 wage limit, you're frankly screwed -- it's only a matter of time before your generals launch a coup.

I can't help but wonder if PopTop was putting a bit of a "moral lesson" in the game. In many cRPGs like Fallout 2 and the like, you can choose to be good or evil, but being good is clearly the way the game "pushes" you. Maybe Tropico is sort of the same way -- being evil is possible, but it kinda sucks. (As opposed to being generally benevolent but moderately corrupt and stuffing a Swiss bank account, which is, of course, encouraged.)

Mr_Meister

Postby Mr_Meister » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:40 am UTC

I've never played it, but I really want to. The box art is very appealing to me for some reason.
Pride of the South since 1990

Return to “Gaming”