SEGA: Total War

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
RoberII
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby RoberII » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 am UTC

I always wanted to play as either Native Americans (although - which nation?) or as one of the Indian states (India-India) in Empire, and then make Europe my bitch, just for a bit of payback.
IcedT wrote:Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.


I write poetry!

User avatar
firechicago
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:27 pm UTC
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby firechicago » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:30 pm UTC

Idhan wrote:For what it's worth, I think that the "early Modern period" would be a great setting for a TW game (although don't call it "Total War: Early Modern Period." Maybe "Total War: Renaissance?").

How about "Total War: Reformation" or "Thirty Years: Total War"
Idhan wrote:I think that in Medieval 2, there's a hint that the Turks may have Ottoman influence. Generally the game holds its cards close to its chest about whether the Turks are ruled by Seljuks or Ottomans or some entirely new dynasty that only happened in your game when most of your royal family dies and some adopted son unexpectedly becomes Sultan. (Thus, it's the Turks not the Seljuks/Ottomans, the Byzantines not the Komnenoi/Angeloi/Palaiologoi, the French not the Capets/Valois/Bourbons.) However, one exception is that there is a Turkish unit named "Ottoman infantry."

In fairness, there's a significant distinction between the transitions between the various dynasties you mention and the transition from the Seljuks to the Ottomans. Both the Seljuk Sultanate and the Seljuk Sultanate of Rum (which is what "The Turks" represent in early start dates in Medievel and Medievel 2) collapsed, and were replaced by Ottoman successor states which had significantly different geographic bases. Where as the Valois, etc. took over a more or less intact state from their predecessors.

User avatar
Idhan
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby Idhan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 pm UTC

IcedT wrote:Total War tends to keep national identity pretty flexible, for pretty obvious workload-related reasons. So far the only game I've found that does a good job of keeping track of changing dynasties and titles is Crusader Kings (Europa Universalis to a lesser extent).


I think it's more that national identity is fairly consistent and dynastic identity is flexible. In Medieval II, you say "I don't know whether my king is a Habsburg or a Jimenez, but I know my country is Spain," rather than "I don't know whether my country is Spain or the Holy Roman Empire, but I know that my king is a Habsburg." (For what it's worth, I prefer the current system of nationality over dynasty.)

User avatar
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Location: St. Heraldwulf's Stone
Contact:

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby Will » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 pm UTC

The exception being Shogun, which is entirely dynastic — Samurai families warring over control of a nation. This is of course helped by the fact that Japan is an island, and hasn't really hasn't had the kind of ethnic/national fluidity than any of the large civilizations on the Eurasian mainland.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

User avatar
Idhan
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby Idhan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:43 pm UTC

Will wrote:The exception being Shogun, which is entirely dynastic — Samurai families warring over control of a nation. This is of course helped by the fact that Japan is an island, and hasn't really hasn't had the kind of ethnic/national fluidity than any of the large civilizations on the Eurasian mainland.


Yeah, I was thinking Medieval 2. In Rome, of course, the three Roman factions are all dynastic, and Shogun's all dynastic.

Also, I guess in Medieval 2, the Timurids are named dynastically rather than nationally. I kinda don't like it, but I'm not sure what to call them otherwise. (Persians? Mongols redux?)

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby Vaniver » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:43 pm UTC

RoberII wrote:I always wanted to play as either Native Americans (although - which nation?) or as one of the Indian states (India-India) in Empire, and then make Europe my bitch, just for a bit of payback.
The Sikh Infantry are, I believe, the best in the game- so this actually isn't that far out. I remember conquering India, getting ready to sail to Europe, and then losing interest.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

Idhan wrote:"Total War: Renaissance"
This sounds absolutely fine as a name for the game.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 pm UTC

Got Shogun II off steam.

Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ this game requires CPU. I've got a Core i7 2600k. That's a modern CPU, in the higher end of the performance bracket. Really, far more than you need for games. Yet... Shogun II... keeps... loading... and ... loading... for ... so... many... seconds...
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:12 pm UTC
Location: St. Heraldwulf's Stone
Contact:

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby Will » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Got Shogun II off steam.

Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ this game requires CPU. I've got a Core i7 2600k. That's a modern CPU, in the higher end of the performance bracket. Really, far more than you need for games. Yet... Shogun II... keeps... loading... and ... loading... for ... so... many... seconds...

This actually hurts the game for me a lot. I often auto-resolve battles that I'm likely to win just because I don't want to wait through the damn loading screen.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10498
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:16 am UTC

Same. If I'm winning by more than 4 to 3, I autoresolve; as long as I am in my own territory I get most of my soldiers back anyway, as I probably won't lose any units. But, the loading... Hell the game itself takes a half hour to load the first time. Oh, that was after a half hour figuring out how to buy it (didn't like my card for some reason), 5 hours downloading, 2 hours updating...

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:59 am UTC

Total War games have always been slow. I remember replaying Medieval recently, with hardware that was good a decade after the game came out- and it still took seconds to load. The whole installation will fit in RAM now, it really shouldn't take that long!
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

MisterCheif
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:24 am UTC

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby MisterCheif » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:30 pm UTC

Will wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Got Shogun II off steam.

Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ this game requires CPU. I've got a Core i7 2600k. That's a modern CPU, in the higher end of the performance bracket. Really, far more than you need for games. Yet... Shogun II... keeps... loading... and ... loading... for ... so... many... seconds...

This actually hurts the game for me a lot. I often auto-resolve battles that I'm likely to win just because I don't want to wait through the damn loading screen.


Shouldn't loading have more to do with hard drive speed than processor? Since it's loading game files from the hard drive? I'm noticing a lot faster load times in my laptop with a hybrid hard drive than on my old desktop with its old stock dell hard drive. But then again, it also had a core 2 duo, and my laptop has an 17-3610qm, so it could be that as well. And on my desktop, I always tended to have a book with me when playing, so I would read between turns and while waiting for battles to load.

I picked up the original Shogun 2 with the sale, since I already had Fall of the Samurai. I should have grabbed Rise of the Samurai as well, it was only $2.50...and the clan packs...
Oh well. I'm still having a lot of fun with the clans I have.

And I finally used some artillery and >20 unit battles in FoTS (I haven't played for a while because I thought it wasn't working on my laptop because the game only recognized the integrated graphics card. Apparently that doesn't stop it from using the discrete card.) I had my line infantry in a ring around the fort, with artillery bombarding it, along with naval fire support. It was epic.

Also, I highly recommend Darthmod. I'm using it to get larger unit sizes, because I can't enable the ultra unit size from the settings because it won't acknowledge my discrete card exists.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

IcedT
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby IcedT » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 am UTC

The clan packs are really cool, actually. Hattori and Ikko-Ikki have really distinctive play styles and I've had a lot of fun with them. I still haven't gotten around to FotS but Rise has some nifty tweaks too if you're interested in the period.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10498
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: SEGA: Total War

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Just preordered Rome TW 2. Anyone else going to be "busy" next month?


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests