Are you obsessed with talking with NPC's?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Do you talk to all the NPC's?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 97

Aradae

Are you obsessed with talking with NPC's?

Postby Aradae » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:05 am UTC

For some reason, I feel compelled to talk to each NPC and hear everything everyone has to say.

Anyone else feel the same way?
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Are you obsessed with talking with NPC's?

Postby aion7 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:17 am UTC

It depends on the game. I said yes, because some games put me in the obsessive "get everything, do everything, and talk to everyone" mindset.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:05 am UTC

I have to say no I thought it was quite nice that you had a option in Fable 2 to skip the talking and get to the quest.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

frezik

Postby frezik » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:08 am UTC

In RPGs, yes. Even though what they say is often the normal conversation of anyone within the context of the given place, there are often important bits of information that slip through, too. Developers don't make it obvious which are which, so you need to talk to everybody.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Usually no. However, with the Phoenix Wright series I presented every item/profile, to every NPC, and usually failed once or twice on purpose to see all the "Mistake" dialogues.
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:40 am UTC

Yes. I have always been obsessed with this. It bothers me when there's not a clear indication that an NPC is 'tapped out' so I can move on. It's *really* bad when NPC statements are randomized from the beginning. I'm okay with it going random after they've gone through their list once, but from the beginning? How am I supposed to know I've heard everything?
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:46 am UTC

Ugh. Yes, I am. I have to know what everyone thinks about everything. I think that it's partly me trying to milk the story as much as possible, because I play games for the stories.

uzy5o

Postby uzy5o » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:18 am UTC

I'm the exact opposite. I don't talk to NPCs unless I have to to advance the story.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:43 am UTC

I always do this. And usually I'll sit there very bored with whatever lame dialogue I'm reading, but I'll do it anyway. With some games, I'm also compelled to make sure I've visited every single corner on a map, e'en when it's obvious nothing to pick up is there.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:14 am UTC

Yes. I'm one of those people that clicked on each of the different units in Starcraft to hear what they said after the 4th time.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:12 pm UTC

Yes.

Its wierd becuase you know that its really pointless but you do it anyway. Its like a drug.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

I do this too.
I am glad that there is so much dialogue put in, makes it worth it to hear everything that's said.

Am loving Fable 2 because of this.

Verian

Postby Verian » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

I'll join the club. I am indeed; I always have to hear every last little line they have to say. Which sucks when said lines are randomized.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

I do this is every game with text dialogue, but if I have to listen to them speaking, even if it's subtitled, I'll usually take a pass with the obviously non-important people. I also tend to ignore the "You're not getting a conversation mode from me, just a speech bubble" people after five minutes of playing.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

This sucks for me on FFXII with so many NPC's.

The good thing about it is that most of them only have 1 line at a time.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

ubel

Postby ubel » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

oh god yes, i could talk to warriv all day. apparently, my presence honors him. I, oddly enough, also love to stay a while and listen to Cain.

if i ever make an RPG, i'm going to make a randomly selected NPC break the 4th wall and give the user an awesome item for being so attentive to their plight of preselected REXs.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

ubel wrote:if i ever make an RPG, i'm going to make a randomly selected NPC break the 4th wall and give the user an awesome item for being so attentive to their plight of preselected REXs.

Don't even break the fourth wall - that's very hard to pull off in a way that doesn't seem silly or cheap. Handle it purely within the construct of the game, with the random person saying something like, "Well, thanks for listening. Sometimes I just feel like nobody cares what I think. You know what? I... I found this thing a while back. Looking at it always makes me feel sort of happy, but I think it's time to pass it on now."

4th-wall breaking too often feels like the developer was just too lazy to find a real way to insert something into the game, but wanted it in there anyway.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:
ubel wrote:if i ever make an RPG, i'm going to make a randomly selected NPC break the 4th wall and give the user an awesome item for being so attentive to their plight of preselected REXs.

Don't even break the fourth wall - that's very hard to pull off in a way that doesn't seem silly or cheap. Handle it purely within the construct of the game, with the random person saying something like, "Well, thanks for listening. Sometimes I just feel like nobody cares what I think. You know what? I... I found this thing a while back. Looking at it always makes me feel sort of happy, but I think it's time to pass it on now."

4th-wall breaking too often feels like the developer was just too lazy to find a real way to insert something into the game, but wanted it in there anyway.

Planescape: Torment already did this, with both the "Hey, thanks for listening to me" versions and the "FOURTH WALL SMASH" versions.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

Yeah, but no one can legitimately compete with P:T, so I choose to ignore it when evaluating the originality of an idea.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

I've always done this, and I plan to continue doing this. It's annoying that so many NPCs do nothing, but every now and then you'll find one that's either interesting to listen to, or that does something useful.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Valheru

Postby Valheru » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

The Baldur's Gate series totally brought this out in me.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

It's rather pointless in Oblivion as everyone says the same damn thing.

Speaking of which, why would a bandit exclaim the taunt "Aw, is the baby gonna cry?" when I slam him with a fireball and his flesh is sizzling? That's not reasonable.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

...maybe it's a pep-talk to [Insert Appropriate Gender]self?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:It's rather pointless in Oblivion as everyone says the same damn thing.
Oblivion pisses me off so much because 95% of the NPCs have nothing to say, but the other 5% are vitally important for questing information.
Speaking of which, why would a bandit exclaim the taunt "Aw, is the baby gonna cry?" when I slam him with a fireball and his flesh is sizzling? That's not reasonable.
And this, too. I loved Oblivion, but several parts of it don't really work well, with bandit exclamations being one of them.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

I think the only reward for talking to all the NPCs, including the ones you knew had the exact same responses.. was the necrophilia conversation.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Fallout 3 is doing this better, by the way. All the non-interesting townspersons will just say "Hi" or "I'm busy" without you having to zoom in and talk to them (more like Half-Life 2). At first I was a bit bummed, but after a while I appreciate that I don't have to zoom in to townie #2 which has the exact lines as townie #55.

Pointless NPC chatter is not bad when its interesting. Half the fun in Earthbound was listening to pointless people, animals, and sesame seeds. I still can't believe that the game came out of Japan. The translators were awesome. Reminds me of Lupin the Third translator voices that referenced ebay and crap :)

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I think the only reward for talking to all the NPCs, including the ones you knew had the exact same responses.. was the necrophilia conversation.

Man, now I want to reload the game and find that chick- just to do hear that myself. Awesome!

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

I do this in most games. The one exception used to be the old gameboy Pokemon games, until I found out there's an earthquake move tutor in one of the pokemarts. Now I'm forced to talk to everyone in every game, ever.

OH WAIT! not HalfLife 2. that's just depressing, and there's no side quests or inventory besides "take this medkit" and "reload, dr freeman".
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel
Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:04 am UTC

It is the single most rewarding thing about Deus Ex. You can find an Australian barman in a Chinese bar and talk to him about politics! You can find a man in a subway station who started a group of people who call themselves the "mole people". You can find a drug addict who wants you to kill him because
Spoiler:
he is infected with a nano-virus

I have talked to every single NPC since then because of that! :mrgreen:

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:42 am UTC

Yeah, usually, but in games like Pokemon Let me show you them it feels ridiculous. So yeah but I waste a ton of time on it.

The LTB comes to Gaming from time to time, you know.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:38 am UTC

I typically start out talking to every single NPC, but after the 5th "I lost my friend Catherine" or "I wonder if that girl over there likes me" I generally get bored and give up. WoW is nice though, because they have those handy exclamation marks that tell you which NPCs you actually need to talk to, not to mention the dialogue is incredible. The first time through, reading every single quest text is definitely worth it. I can't really think of any other games with great dialogue off the top of my head though.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:06 am UTC

I just have to talk to everybody in my games; compulsively: I have to know what everyone says. However, for some reason, in pokemon DP for the first time, I dont really feel all that bothered with it.
But in everything else (admittedly, thats not many games), I love talking to them, even if they have generic responses, like the Galactic Federation soldiers in Metroid Prime Corruption.
*edit: not talking to npcs came back to bite me in the ass; I missed out on defog.
Last edited by ACU-LP on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Depends on whether the NPCs have anything worth listening to. I find I need the writing by a human in order to feel like the characters are real.

Fable, for example, felt really isolated. Even when you were in town, all people would ever do is say random things about your last exploit, so it's like none of them really are interacting with you except when you flex, in which case it was more like waving a piece of meat around in a dog kennel. All of them like you, but it's not like it matters.

Being in a room with your wife and realising you've never even spoken to her puts you at an incredible distance.

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel
Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:29 am UTC

SJ Zero wrote:Being in a room with your wife and realising you've never even spoken to her puts you at an incredible distance.

In real life or video game? :wink:

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:00 am UTC

I talk to people here and there, but it's generally to hunt for quests. The fallout 3 dialogue trees do get on my nerves a litte.
Me: Sup?
NPC: Y'know, same ol. Except for A, B, C.
Me: Tell me about (A, B, or C)
And so on. I like interesting characters, but in the game I feel like I'm doing the same kind of interaction with almost every character I meet.

I have fond memories of talking to the robots in Starship Titanic. Has anyone else played that? I'm worried it's my nostalgia talking since I haven't been able to play the game for years now.

The worst type of dialogue is when the game itself treats you as an outsider. I tried one MMO for the heck of it... It was called 2 Moons or some such. Anyway, you go to your trainer and all of your dialogue options were like 'Okay, crazy lady, whatever you say,' like you were some snotty teenager in this fantasy world and had no idea what all this magic stuff was about.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:59 am UTC

"Keep moving, Outlander..."

Morrowind may have used repetitive NPC dialog, but what it did have was brilliant.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:07 am UTC

Yes, and no.

Normally by the end of some games I stop bothering to talk to all the NPC's or I do but only skim the dialogue, cause by the end of most games the urgency of the world about to end or whatever makes me want to just hurry up and get to the last boss.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:42 am UTC

Yes, yes and YES. I need to talk to them all. Every one of them. Even the ones who are only going to say "well met!". If there's a chance that a particular dialogue with someone might alter the game, I'll probably make a save before hand so I can see where both choices would take me.

The only exception I tend to make is Animal Crossing, because most of the NPCs are pretty vacuous, and I worked out that by not talking to them, you get more rotation. I was really bored with the game until I realised that.

The_Rooster

Postby The_Rooster » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

I only don't bother when the NPC dialogue is inane and talks about things I already know (Pokemon), sad attempts at humor (like the guy in Pokemon who asks you where you came from, and the answers are "yes" and "no"), or are just the same couple lines repeated by all the townspeople.
"People always associate long hair with drug use. I wish long hair was associated with something other than drug use, like an extreme longing for cake." ~Mitch Hedberg

natraj

Postby natraj » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

I am totally obsessive-compulsive in RPGs about talking to everyone, exploring everywhere, getting everything. It's horrible.

The worst games ever for this for me are the .hack series, where it's generally not that important to talk to the NPCs, but I not only have to talk to every single one I see, I have to do it every single time I warp back into town, and trade them all for everything they've got.

It's terrible.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Return to “Gaming”