Valkyria Chronicles

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Rinkatze

Valkyria Chronicles

Postby Rinkatze » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

I'm gonna go ahead and get right to the point. This game is one of the best games i have ever played, i put it right up there with Zelda, metal gear, and Skies of Arcadia. if you own a ps3 and have not done so already, do yourself a favor and buy this game.

ok, with that out of the way i'll go ahead and explain a bit about this game and why i think it's so awesome. First of all, this game is sort of a combination of turn based strategy and a third person shooter. One of the most appealing things, to me anyway, was that your units aren't all faceless soldiers like in RTS games. you handpick a squad of 20 from a bunch of different characters, choosing from 6 basic units (tanks, scouts, shocktroopers, engineers, lancers (anti-tank infantry), and snipers.) each person has their own little advantages and disadvantages. for example, some people are pessimists, and their attributes will drop when they are under 50% health. Others are nature lovers, and get attribute bonuses when walking on grassy terrain. there are many different a traits, from masochist to "fancies men" (for both male and female characters i might add), meaning that no two units are the same, and makes you think when choosing which members of your squad you'll be deploying for a certain mission. each character also has their own unique backstory, which you can read about if its something that interests you. it really helps connect you to the members of your squad, and really adds to the atmosphere of the game.

i won't go too in depth into the battle system because it would take some time to explain and you can read about it on almost any review site, but i will say that it works very well and gives alot of depth to the game. Graphically, the game has a sort of anime-ish style, with a sort of watercolor style. its hard to describe, but look for a picture and you'll see what i mean. the game doesn't exactly push the ps3 to its limits, but i like it alot. the story is somewhat on the sappy side, but its not bad. it's got alot of long cutscenes, but you can skip through them if they really bother you (i wouldn't suggest it though, its a good story). it takes place in an alternate version of europe in 1935, and is very similar to WW2 (there are even concentration camps and such for darcsens, a race who are discriminated against the way jews were back then.)

this game amazing, and the fact that it has cameos from Vyse and Aika (from skies of arcadia) is just gravy. Buy this, you won't regret it.
Last edited by Rinkatze on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AKAnotu

Re: Valkyria Chronicles

Postby AKAnotu » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

I played the demo of this, and it was great fun, but won't be getting it 'till Christmas.

I am sad. :(
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

I've got this coming from Amazon. It looks great!

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

This is one of my favourite games of all time, and I don't play wargames!

What I really enjoyed is the combat mechanism

Basically it's turn based and you control units (let's say 8 soldiers) you can move them as much as the move bar allows you and then perform an attack or other action. And all that is done in a 3rd person view.
Every soldier has different advantages and disadvantages depending on what sort of "class" he or she belongs to and the kind of level up actions you've taken

How come there aren't any more games like that???

Do you know any game that is 3rd person (moving in a 3d environment) and turn based?

ps. I realize of course that this kind of game goes against the gaming industry guidelines of making everything a pointless brainless "walk in a straight line and shoot anything that moves (usually zombies, aliens or terorists)" kind of games... that's probably why V.Chr. didn't really make big sales...
"Luther...I think I've contracted left-handedness..."
- Mister Sloordge, Balderduck

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

balderduck wrote:This is one of my favourite games of all time, and I don't play wargames!

What I really enjoyed is the combat mechanism

Basically it's turn based and you control units (let's say 8 soldiers) you can move them as much as the move bar allows you and then perform an attack or other action. And all that is done in a 3rd person view.
Every soldier has different advantages and disadvantages depending on what sort of "class" he or she belongs to and the kind of level up actions you've taken

How come there aren't any more games like that???

Do you know any game that is 3rd person (moving in a 3d environment) and turn based?

ps. I realize of course that this kind of game goes against the gaming industry guidelines of making everything a pointless brainless "walk in a straight line and shoot anything that moves (usually zombies, aliens or terorists)" kind of games... that's probably why V.Chr. didn't really make big sales...

Valkyria Chronicles is a really good game (which spawned an anime series and two psp sequels). As for similar game mechanics well... I don't think any other game does it literally the same way. However if you like games like Valkyria Chronicles, then Ogre Battle/ Ogre Battle 64 may be up your alley. Anyway, Valkyria is pretty unique because basically every time a developers try to build a strategy console game, they try throwing in some interesting gimmicks/ gameplay changes in order to make it something other than a PC port. I think they nailed a fairly good system this time around. Although I'd rather have better weapon customization and so far I really hate when I set up a group of characters to work together but then the dynamic breaks down because someone picks up a new Potential that means now they hate each other. :|
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

Valkyria Chronicles is one of the leading reasons I want to buy a PS3.

My favorite thing from watching a friend play? Largo and his vegetable war cries. The friend really wants us to cosplay as characters from Valkyria Chronicles for otakon, but I've got to play the damn game first D:

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:28 pm UTC

So is it a bit like Vandal Hearts then?

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 pm UTC

Wow! Ogre Battle as well as March Of The Black Queen are titles of Queen songs from the album Queen II :) That info wasn't on wikipedia and I just added it...let's see if they keep it :)

I'll check into those games although I was hoping for something more recent...

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:My favorite thing from watching a friend play? Largo and his vegetable war cries.

VEG-TAB-LES.

I played through all of the first game pretty quickly and I loved it. It may be my favorite game this generation. It my mind, it's like Fire Emblem, but actually better. (And Fire Emblem is one of my favorite series.)

The second game adds a lot of complexity to things. Branching class trees, more weapon diversity.. I'm still annoyed it's on the PSP instead of the PS3, but oh well. Also the way the game is set up not makes the story feel more episodic and less epic.

I've heard people complain about the anime adaptation, but I like it a lot. They made Alicia more annoying, but Jaegar, Selvaria, Faldio, and several other characters got a lot more attention. Not Hannes though. :(

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:06 am UTC

As far as the base mechanics go, the closest game I can see that approximates it would be..... the X-Com series. I mean, a game that allows for you to park soldiers in a spot then have them open fire on enemy troops on their own volition should the enemy be so stupid as to wander into their killzone... X-com did it, the UFO series did it, Rebelstar did it (and was made by some ex-X-Com people), and this game.

And Space Hulk.

Anything else?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:39 pm UTC

yeah x-com was the closest thing I had in mind as well...

Return to “Gaming”