Pencil & Paper RPGs: Hardcover or paperback?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Pencil & Paper RPGs: Do you prefer hardcover or paperback?

Hardcover
63%
Paperback
No votes
A bit of both
15%
It doesn't matter to me, I'm a nihilist otter.
22%

Total votes: 27

markkat

Pencil & Paper RPGs: Hardcover or paperback?

Postby markkat » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

I've a question for you PPRPG players: For the core book, do you prefer hardcover or paperback? For the sake of argument, let's say both are reasonably priced, the hardcover costing you about 25% more (ex. $30 PB, $37.50 HC).

I've always dug hardcovers, but I've heard some people dig paperback, not for the price, but for the flexibility. Do you think it's best for a system to come in both?

I took the liberty of adding a wishy-washy fence-sitter option. And an otter reference, mostly to cover pdfs or loose-leaf printouts.. or some third option I can't think of. - ST

EDIT: I changed 'source book' to 'core book', to clarify. And, thanks for the Otter ST.
Last edited by markkat on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I don't know how 5E D&D will be played, but 6E D&D will be played with paper and pencils.
Wayfarers Role-playing Game. -Ye Olde Gaming Companye.

Xaddak

Re: Pencil & Paper RPGs: Hardcover or paperback?

Postby Xaddak » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

I'm too used to hardcover at this point. If I had a softcover sourcebook, I don't think it would feel like a sourcebook.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

Hm.. if it's a core rulebook, I've been trained to believe it needs to be hardback, while sourcebooks are free to be paperback (and are usually preferred that way, as they're cheaper and seem to be more focused.)

Basically, right or wrong, in my thinking a hardback is a grand, sweeping thing suitable for covering a rule system or detailing a world or major landmass. If it's a book on a single city, the city itself is going to be of incredible importance and have pages and pages of information detailing NPCs. Outside of the bits where it goes into the names of the Tavern Keeper's Daughter's Boyfriend's Cousin's Dentist, I also assume that any fluff information given in the books is likely known by most characters - names of nations, rulers of said nations, locations on the globe, where certain hostile tribes live, that sort of thing.

In comparison, a paperback one will detail perhaps a handful of classes, a race or grouping of connected races, or just a small region of the map. If it covers a city, while the city may be important, the people in power there may not be known a few cities away, and probably not in other nations. Basically, it's a smaller scope.

As far as pregenerated adventures go, I assume a paperback to be a one-shot to a small adventure that has you gaining no more than 5 levels, while a hardback one is going to cover at least ten levels of adventuring, if not your entire career.

So.. goes back to a scope thing. I think hardbacks have a much larger scope than paperbacks. I think paperbacks give better details.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

I've gotten used to nWoD, where everything is hardcover (save, currently, the 5 clanbooks for vampire, and anything that's print on demand).

Hardcover (or so the theory goes) lasts longer. It's heavier and costs more, but is less likely to wear during play. They also look better on a shelf. So, hardcover is good for pretty much anything.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

I've had hard cover books that fall apart after very little use, and I've got paper back ones that I use the shit out of that are still in great shape. So it seems to come to come down to production/material quality as much as anything else. But, I guess if I actually had the choice of a specific book coming in both forms, I'd probably go for hard cover.

Then again, with most of the games I'm interested in now a days, I usually don't have the option of hard cover, anyway. Things like Burning Wheel and Sorcerer.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

Hardcover, but no to pseudoidiot. As well, most of the time these days I use self-printed books which I then put in a binder. Which is sort of hardcover.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

telcontar42

Postby telcontar42 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

I would prefer a hard cover book because you could use it as a hard surface to write on. However, given the two options I would probably just buy whatever was cheaper.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

All my D&D books have been hardcover. The Paranoia book I have is softcover.

I prefer the HC ones. The Paranoia one is a bit easier to have open and such... but it seems so much less durable.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:13 am UTC

Excuse me, what is a paper and pencil RPG? Never got the concept.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Pencil and paper refer to the games you play with dice and character sheets rather than on the computer (or live-action, if you're into that).

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:16 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:Pencil and paper refer to the games you play with dice and character sheets rather than on the computer (or live-action, if you're into that).

/angell

Uh.... ohkay.

*takes the time to bring up wikipedia*
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

markkat

Postby markkat » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:Pencil and paper refer to the games you play with dice and character sheets rather than on the computer (or live-action, if you're into that). /angell

Yeah, IMHO it's too bad that MMORPGs and CRPGs co-opted or shared the name. They really don't deliver the same thing. The computer/video games emulate something similar, but the creativity factor and open-endedness of PPRPGs is greatly reduced in the translation. -Don't get me wrong, I dig my CRPGs (I got bored with MMORPGs), but comparing the computer versions with pencil & paper or 'tabletop' RPGs is like apples to oranges. They are very different creatures. Both can be very fun, but are much less like each other than their names suggest.
I don't know how 5E D&D will be played, but 6E D&D will be played with paper and pencils.
Wayfarers Role-playing Game. -Ye Olde Gaming Companye.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:Excuse me, what is a paper and pencil RPG? Never got the concept.

Know how kids run around doing the Cops and Robbers game or some other kind of pretend game where, inevitably, the kids end up shooting one another and an argument breaks out because one kid claims he's wearing bulletproof armor and another claims her bullets go through armor and so on?

Yeah, pen & paper RPGS can be thought of as that, with rules to determine whether or not the bulletproof armor is enough to stop the armor-piercing bullets.

Also, one person sets up the scenarios and challenges that everyone else goes through.

And there's sometimes elves and dwarves and dragons and magic and stuff.

/puts on my robe and wizard hat
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Snoof

Postby Snoof » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:10 am UTC

Hardcover core books, since they'll experience more wear. Softcover supplements, they're cheaper.
If I had a signature, you wouldn't be reading this.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:49 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, pen & paper RPGS can be thought of as that, with rules to determine whether or not the bulletproof armor is enough to stop the armor-piercing bullets.

But everyone always forgets the proper degree to which the armor is bulletproof, so the wearer insists that it is plenty to stop said bullet, and said shooter argues that his bullet might be stronger than your av-er-age bullet.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 am UTC

OmegaLord wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, pen & paper RPGS can be thought of as that, with rules to determine whether or not the bulletproof armor is enough to stop the armor-piercing bullets.
But everyone always forgets the proper degree to which the armor is bulletproof, so the wearer insists that it is plenty to stop said bullet, and said shooter argues that his bullet might be stronger than your av-er-age bullet.
And then the GM throws a pencil at you for being a pedantic little so-and-so and rules against you. :P

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Terebrant

Postby Terebrant » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

I am curious about what those who voted otter prefer.

I choose it, not for pdfs but because I like corebooks in the form of booklets (GM/Adventure or setting/players) in a box along with everything needed to play. I haven't seen these in a while though.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

OmegaLord wrote:

And then there's the guy who, using four sourcebooks and an obscure rules reference on page 22 of the FAQ on the internet, manages somehow to turn the cardboard box the bullets came in into a tactical nuclear weapon, and blows up Tiamat with it.

Even though everyone was playing Mutants and Masterminds, not Dungeons and Dragons.

Anyway, I kind of wish more RPG books that I bought were softcover, because then maybe I could afford them.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

tubagiant89

Postby tubagiant89 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:19 am UTC

I'd have to go hardcover just because imo, most source books/reference books are hardcover. Though if you don't have the money, go soft.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

The above looks very corruptible.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Return to “Gaming”