Cool games on the interweb redux

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Fin Archangel

Re: Cool games on the interweb redux

Postby Fin Archangel » Sun May 09, 2010 10:19 am UTC

Dammit guys, I did NOT need to be introduced to Element today. I should have been studying and/or sleeping since seven hours ago >:[
Spoiler:

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Mon May 10, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

Cursed Treasure. It's a tower defense game, but this time, the towers belong to the bad guys. Overall fun gameplay.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Nyx

Postby Nyx » Mon May 10, 2010 4:29 pm UTC

This isn't a flash game, but its a small MMO that i think some people might like.

Astonia

And yes i know flash games are the preference, but the OP didn't totally exclude small .exe files.
Last edited by Nyx on Tue May 11, 2010 2:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 10, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

Actually..
I wrote:And don't bother linking any .exe that are installers. We don't want to install something on our system, we want something that can be played right after downloading. But again - Flash or Java is really what we're going for here because it's platform independent... I'm just letting some .exe files in because they're Deathworm or something similar.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon May 10, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:Cursed Treasure. It's a tower defense game, but this time, the towers belong to the bad guys. Overall fun gameplay.

I like it! Your description was slightly misleading - I thought that the computer would control the towers somehow. The way it works is that you, the player, are controlling orcs, undead, and demons, each of which has different types of towers.

I like the gameplay. The costing is pretty nice (upgrades are cheap but weak, tower costs scale up as you buy more of them), though I'm not sure how much I'll like the terrain restrictions yet. I like tower upgrades being tied to XP, because it makes the choice between new towers and upgraded towers easier. Finally, the XP system for you as a player feels pretty nice.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 10, 2010 5:40 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:
I Am Raven wrote:Cursed Treasure. It's a tower defense game, but this time, the towers belong to the bad guys. Overall fun gameplay.

I like it! Your description was slightly misleading - I thought that the computer would control the towers somehow.
You want The Anti-Tower Defense Game. That's where you buy the minions and hope the computer's towers don't flatten them.

That said, I liked how Cursed Treasure did a lot of things. It's an actual interesting variation on the TD game, what with towers needing experience before you can level them, and the terrain limiting where you can place them.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Mon May 10, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

I suck at describing games. Good thing you two make up for my obvious lack of descriptiveness. Thanks. I completely agree with what Xanthir and ST wrote.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue May 11, 2010 12:14 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Xanthir wrote:

I like it! Your description was slightly misleading - I thought that the computer would control the towers somehow.
You want The Anti-Tower Defense Game. That's where you buy the minions and hope the computer's towers don't flatten them.

That said, I liked how Cursed Treasure did a lot of things. It's an actual interesting variation on the TD game, what with towers needing experience before you can level them, and the terrain limiting where you can place them.

Interesting twist indeed. Firing up the anti-tower defense game now, because I thought it was that at first too.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed May 12, 2010 3:02 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:

I like it! Your description was slightly misleading - I thought that the computer would control the towers somehow. The way it works is that you, the player, are controlling orcs, undead, and demons, each of which has different types of towers.

I like the gameplay. The costing is pretty nice (upgrades are cheap but weak, tower costs scale up as you buy more of them), though I'm not sure how much I'll like the terrain restrictions yet. I like tower upgrades being tied to XP, because it makes the choice between new towers and upgraded towers easier. Finally, the XP system for you as a player feels pretty nice.

Actually, I think this is the best TD game I've ever played. The forced tower variety via terrain restrictions requires you to be somewhat creative in handling things rather than simply solving every level with the same hammer, while the high-ground tiles reinject flexibility into your tower layouts.

What I like most, though, are the well-balanced and interesting upgrades you can give yourself as you level up. I've been neglecting orcs for a while, for example, and am kicking myself now, as maxing your tree-cutting and pairing it with mana upgrades from the undead is a huge power combo for quick money-making within a level. As well, the ability power-ups you get in the middle of each tree, and the bonus abilities at the capstone of each, are both subtle and amazingly useful.

At the moment I've got Brilliant (no one touched my gems at any point) for the first 6 levels and Excellent (gems were touched, but not lost) for all but the last two. The *fucking* Ninja champion gets me most of the time.

~TJ

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed May 12, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

Learning to hold a Meteor spell ready on any major ninja wave has solved the last of my problems. I'm pretty sure the rest is just mop-up now.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed May 12, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

I'm still having some problems with ninja champions, but I guess if I put some more points into the meteor damage skill I'll be fine. :) But yeah, holding that spell during Ninja waves comes in handy a lot of times.
One question: has anyone ever used the Frenzy spell regularly? I mean, I use Meteor all the time. Every level in fact (not wave). But I only ever used frenzy 2, maybe 3 times, to see what it did...

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed May 12, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

I rarely use either spell, actually. I've learned to put a ton of towers right at the end to take out ninjas, so I don't need all that much. But if I have the mana for it, I'll throw a Frenzy a second or two after a Ninja Champion smoke-bombs, then quickly ready a meteor as well. That way, the towers are frenzied as soon as he comes out of hiding for tons of damage, and then I can land a meteor as well if they don't immediately kill it.

I was able to finish all the levels, at least, without using any spell. I'm only using them now to get Brilliants on everything.

That all said, Frenzy probably is the weakest and least useful of all the spells. You never really get overwhelmed, and there are only two "difficult" enemies - the assassins and the ninjas. Frenzying during a large assassin wave is useful, since every hit counts against them. Frenzying to ensure that you can lay down a lot of pain at the end of a ninja wave can work, but I prefer Meteor when I definitely need it.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Thu May 13, 2010 1:47 am UTC

Put a tower at the very start of the level to trigger the ninjas' smoke bomb early.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu May 13, 2010 10:26 am UTC

Yeah, I mostly use those demon temples for that because of the fire rate. Plus if you upgrade it to an evileye temple, it works wonders on other levels! :D

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri May 14, 2010 3:35 am UTC

I Am Raven wrote:Yeah, I mostly use those demon temples for that because of the fire rate. Plus if you upgrade it to an evileye temple, it works wonders on other levels! :D

I did that at first for precisely that reason, but instead I try to use orc dens at the beginning now, because their arrows do more single-hit damage. It's really important to hit those assholes as powerfully as possible immediately, so you don't have to do as much damage when they uncloak.

But yeah, evileye temples are wondrous when grouped with other things.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri May 14, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:I did that at first for precisely that reason, but instead I try to use orc dens at the beginning now, because their arrows do more single-hit damage. It's really important to hit those assholes as powerfully as possible immediately, so you don't have to do as much damage when they uncloak.

+1

Qwert

Postby Qwert » Sat May 22, 2010 6:14 am UTC

Found another neat game: Balloon in a Wasteland

2D side scroller shooter where waves of enemies come at you as you try to survive and repair your balloon to escape.

Word of advice: skip the shotgun and go for the uzi.
2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
- Grabel's Law
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat May 22, 2010 9:45 am UTC

Qwert wrote:Word of advice: skip the shotgun and go for the uzi.

For real.
Can reccomend this game to anyone.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun May 23, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

I found BiaW pretty subpar, unfortunately. The balance is *way* off. Turrets, for example, are damn near useless even when you spend the ridiculously huge amounts to upgrade all 3 fully. Repair stations are useless. The basic med station is good, but you never need more than that. Once you get a fort, you can just ignore enemies for the rest of the game if you want, coming down only to repair your balloon. Uzi and Assault Rifle/Chain Gun are supremely more powerful than the high-damage-low-ammo weapons.

Scigatt

Postby Scigatt » Mon May 24, 2010 1:48 am UTC

Here's a really cool game

Manufactoria

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Mon May 24, 2010 9:54 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:I found BiaW pretty subpar, unfortunately. The balance is *way* off. Turrets, for example, are damn near useless even when you spend the ridiculously huge amounts to upgrade all 3 fully. Repair stations are useless. The basic med station is good, but you never need more than that. Once you get a fort, you can just ignore enemies for the rest of the game if you want, coming down only to repair your balloon. Uzi and Assault Rifle/Chain Gun are supremely more powerful than the high-damage-low-ammo weapons.

Completely agree with all your remarks. I still loved the game for some reason, though.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue May 25, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Scigatt wrote:Here's a really cool game

Manufactoria

Damn, you beat me to it!

This game is really fun. You have to make an assembly line of sorts for various robots. The robots all have a colour code (like red red red blue red) and each puzzle presents a different challenge, like "Only let robots pass if the last two colours are blue!"
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Coin

Postby Coin » Wed May 26, 2010 8:28 am UTC

Manufactoria

Excellent game! I find it quite difficult and have had lots of fun trying to find algorithms which will work :)
The harder the struggle, the sweeter the victory.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Wed May 26, 2010 9:06 am UTC

Epic genocide

Yeah, so my sleeping patterns are still off after finding this at 11 on Saturday night...
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Fri May 28, 2010 2:13 am UTC

King of Fighters Wing at arcade pod.

AMAZING. :D

Chris Dude70

Postby Chris Dude70 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:21 am UTC

http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-twitchy-online-game.html

Highly addictive.
Awesome soundtrack.

High score among my group of friends is 41k

Good luck.

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Fri May 28, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

Coin wrote:

Manufactoria

Excellent game! I find it quite difficult and have had lots of fun trying to find algorithms which will work :)

programming games for not just the win, but the domestic treble
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Fri May 28, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

Epic genocide

Yeah, so my sleeping patterns are still off after finding this at 11 on Saturday night...

I needed that 5 hours of my life :(
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

zerker2000

Postby zerker2000 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:22 am UTC

Chris Dude70 wrote:http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-twitchy-online-game.html

Highly addictive.
Awesome soundtrack.

Good luck.
Per run, or total? On my last wish on my second try, I got 22K, so it shouldn't be such a stretch to get ~50k total.
EDIT: Just discovered stars combo; As predicted,
75k total!
When playing flash games, Lag is good :).

EDIT2: W00T! 90k total, 52k run! My work is done here.
GENERATION -705 - 991i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
ImageDragon Thingie! Image

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat May 29, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

They may have been posted before, but not all of them, I'm sure...
Have some games with no stunning graphics or gameplay, but one heck of a plot. Go play. Seriously, they're beautiful.

Colour My Heart
Colour My World
Colour My Dreams <-- Kinda spooky and different from the rest.
Colour My Fate
Colour My Life

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:40 am UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:
Coin wrote:

Manufactoria

it is an excellent game. I'm using a library computer so each time I play it I get to start over from the beginning and make the solutions simpler.

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sun May 30, 2010 11:47 am UTC

4=5 wrote:
a_fuzzyduck wrote:
Coin wrote:

Manufactoria

it is an excellent game. I'm using a library computer so each time I play it I get to start over from the beginning and make the solutions simpler.

I am choking with laughter at the Soldiers level, so SO simple. Nice tea break from the more difficult ones
wkw

New User

Postby New User » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:52 am UTC

Flash Flash Revolution's site has been down for over six months. Might as well take it off the OP.
It was a great game though.

jaraarph

Postby jaraarph » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

Chris Dude70 wrote:http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-twitchy-online-game.html

Highly addictive.
Awesome soundtrack.

Good luck.

Discovered this game on my first day of study vacation. Worst. Idea. Ever. Takes me about twice as long to finish any work I need to do becuase I need to stop for rainbow-attack breaks.
After a few days of playing it on and off my best run is about 50k, and best score is 80k. But a friend of mine who isn't at uni has managed to get his scores up to 130k so with practice you can only get better

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

Heir, a flash version of God of War-ish thingy. Tis a platformer, but a really nice one. Really like it.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

Elements the Game

See how good you are. :P

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:24 am UTC

Ivora wrote:Elements the Game

See how good you are. :P

That definitely hasn't been mentioned over 9000 times already.
Spoiler:

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:41 am UTC

Critter Forge Superficially it is like pokemon, but it is very different. You breed and program animals to fight then send them to the coliseum. There's a lot of unknowns about the various inheritable appendages, so there's a lot of 'trade secrets' right now. The heavy analysis and planning has really sucked me in. The coliseum is a little harsh right now for starting creatures, just stick with it until you can afford to go on safari and get samples to breed more interesting (and powerful) creatures.

Edit: I just wanted to add that two of the twenty critters you can breed are Raptors and Cuttlefish. ;)
Last edited by BoomFrog on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:35 am UTC

Necronator
Prequel to Infectonator. Similar graphics, but substantially different gameplay - this one's an RTS. You spend mana to summon monsters from your portal and destroy towns, gradually rampaging across the world.

I recommend starting with zombie hordes. They took me clear through the first three kingdoms, all the way to the last town in the fourth kingdom. I simply couldn't defeat it with zombies no matter how hard I tried. Eventually I stumbled on the power combo of skeleton archers and more skeleton archers, which let me finish the fifth kingdom, though I wasn't getting any speed rewards. Finally near the end I picked up the Diablo spell, which let me go back through all of the earlier levels and sweep up all the speed rewards. Diablo rocks.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:52 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:Necronator
Prequel to Infectonator. Similar graphics, but substantially different gameplay - this one's an RTS. You spend mana to summon monsters from your portal and destroy towns, gradually rampaging across the world.

I recommend starting with zombie hordes. They took me clear through the first three kingdoms, all the way to the last town in the fourth kingdom. I simply couldn't defeat it with zombies no matter how hard I tried. Eventually I stumbled on the power combo of skeleton archers and more skeleton archers, which let me finish the fifth kingdom, though I wasn't getting any speed rewards. Finally near the end I picked up the Diablo spell, which let me go back through all of the earlier levels and sweep up all the speed rewards. Diablo rocks.

Not as much fun as Infectonator, but still some good fun. I tried using a combination of high level orcs and the knight hero with a lot of archers, which worked pretty good till the 4th kingdom. Then just mass archer, which was less fun. :(
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Return to “Gaming”