Cool games on the interweb redux

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Re: Cool games on the interweb redux

Postby Xanthir » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:08 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Jahooma's LogicBox seems like it might be really easy for experienced programers but I am totally stuck on level 8 right now. But it's a fun kind of stuck. No hints yet, I'm going to keep chewing on it.

Hah, just solved 8 in 2 minutes with a fresh look.

Jeezus, I have spent all freaking night on getting Genius on level 19. That thing is *hard*. Finally just barely eked by when I figured out that I could twerk the input string to make the isEmpty? call cheaper.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:11 am UTC

Oh my. That's a logic building knowledge machine thingy. Way cool. Oh, it's also how all programming works, right? Logic gates and processes and all that. :P
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

It's impressive that the guy behind it actually managed to come up with all these apparently optimal solutions. Coming up with any ole solution isn't *that* hard for most of them, but then it tells you it can be done in half as many boxes and you have to stare at it for ages. I enjoy it thoroughly as a logic puzzle though, as it's really difficult yet it stays in the realm of "I should be able to do this....It's all just a matter of using these, well, logical moves, and not with coming up with some weird meta questions or anything like that.".

I haven't actually beaten everything though, lvl 18 as well as a couple of the preceding challenges have thwarted me (although I have tried recently, perhaps I'll go back to it).

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:14 pm UTC

Ah, yes. I've seen those meta logical puzzels. The problem with those is, while logical the "definitions" of the words and questions either require you to be perfectly like the writer to know what they meant, or to know the intended definition already. Where as mathematical ones generally have no room for mistake in their meanings.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

New User

Postby New User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but if you like this LogicBox game you should check out Manufactoria. It is a very similar logic/computer science game.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:44 am UTC

We also have a *substantial* thread about Manufactoria here on the board, and on my website is a Manufactoria emulator that'll run any of your level codes and show them off. (Just take the level code and replace the part before the ? with my page to share the level without forcing people to load up Flash.)

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 am UTC

I really liked logic box, but, as always, how you "mark" these sorts of things is contentious. For instance, here's my solution to 12

Spoiler:

and here's a version with fewer parts

Spoiler:

Mine has 11 parts, vs 8, but mine's 900 odd steps on the input, and the small one is 1200. It was nice to have both being marked, but the balance is more complicated than its counted atm.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

NicklasNystrom

Postby NicklasNystrom » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 pm UTC

Would it be really sneaky of me to recommend a game I've made myself (together with my brother)? It's a color based puzzle game called Filurk, and you can play it here: http://www.pitebros.com/filurk/filurk-demo. It gets really tricky after a couple of levels :)

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:52 am UTC

NicklasNystrom wrote:Would it be really sneaky of me to recommend a game I've made myself (together with my brother)? It's a color based puzzle game called Filurk, and you can play it here: http://www.pitebros.com/filurk/filurk-demo. It gets really tricky after a couple of levels :)

A little. I ended up quitting because some little things irritated me.

Unsolicited feedback:
Spoiler:
Please please please change the "Undo" button to something that won't set off sticky keys! Also a handy "Reset the level" button would be nice too. I really like the game concept and the levels I played showed you guys get the puzzle design aspect, but some minor user experience (UX) tweaks would really make your game stand out for me.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

NicklasNystrom

Postby NicklasNystrom » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

3fj wrote:Unsolicited feedback:
Spoiler:
Please please please change the "Undo" button to something that won't set off sticky keys! Also a handy "Reset the level" button would be nice too. I really like the game concept and the levels I played showed you guys get the puzzle design aspect, but some minor user experience (UX) tweaks would really make your game stand out for me.

You're definitely right about the undo button, we'll change it later today. There already is a reset button though, namely enter (but we might change that as well). I guess I shouldn't bog down this thread with more posts, but I really appreciate the feedback, it's very helpful!

A duck

Postby A duck » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:38 pm UTC

http://www.NexusClash.com is a browser based game which is pretty entertaining. It's one of those persistent grid based multiplayer games, like Urban Dead or Nexus War if you ever played those.
You can do what you want, but generally you aim to be either an angel, demon or transcendent, and murder other people. Or you can be boring and heal or craft or what have you.

You do have to give an email to sign up for an account and all, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post and all, but the title of the thread Is cool games on the interweb.
Hi, I'm a d*ck that wants to say a symbol.

Warp Zone

Postby Warp Zone » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:13 am UTC

This may have already been posted, but if you enjoy the Submachine series, definitely check out Daymare Town (it's by the same creator). It's like a much more difficult Submachine with a creepier artstyle.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:04 am UTC

I've been playing Crown of Conquest for a while. It's a turn-based RPG with a bit of politics involved - there are towns you can raid and/or become mayor of, and kingdoms controlled by players. You start with a party of max 8 characters and you do the standard roam around dungeons and wilderness doing quests and killing monsters to level up and get gold and items. But you can get additional characters to put in town garrisons or castles you can build, and they'll do the same on their own. I don't know why but I like this game quite a bit.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

Someone's put together a very pretty 3d Minesweeper clone: http://egraether.com/mine3d/

Protip, though - the game is *very* difficult in Classic mode. Play it in Sweep mode, which removes marked mines and adjusts surrounding numbers accordingly. Technically, the two are equivalent - if you can remember infinite detail, you can do the subtraction yourself, so Sweep mode adds no information. For us humans, though, the game is much easier when mines are removed, and I think it's actually reasonably necessary to do it to defeat a board. I can't win a single Small game on Classic, while I can take out a Small board on Sweep in 2 or 3 minutes.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:01 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:Someone's put together a very pretty 3d Minesweeper clone: http://egraether.com/mine3d/

I think this is actually running into something fundamental that tends to render the endeavour either too trivial, or too hard. Remember the old 2D version, and clicking somewhere in the middle, and then having a circlish region in the middle of the board open up. You could always very easily identify mines that were denting the ring. I mean, if the ring had regions of convexity instead of all being concave, it was easy to push out and expand the known region till it was concave.

Here, to get lots of regions that are concave like that you'd need the mines to be distributed as along some set of bubbles that are filling the region. Just uniformly randomly scattering isn't going to get the right sort of boards, whereas it does in the 2d case.

What I'm saying is, after the board opens up a bit, using sweep, its very easy to identify mines that are on the boundary of unknown cubes, with just a single 1 next to them, and then you just keep pushing the known region open. So, there's a slower opening up, but after things are going in your way, it flows very quickly to the end, whereas in old minesweeper, it never really got into that trivial phase except right at the end. But here, it seems to have a very long phase of ease.

If you made a whole lot of extra mines, you might avoid that, but then it would be too tricky.

But it is very well done, and quite interesting.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:14 am UTC

Actually a pretty great story in this game without having a lot of text.
http://nekogames.jp/g.html?gid=SACRIFICE
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 am UTC

Just The Tip is very entertaining, especially with controllers on a big screen.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Jahooma's LogicBox seems like it might be really easy for experienced programers but I am totally stuck on level 8 right now. But it's a fun kind of stuck. No hints yet, I'm going to keep chewing on it.

Hah, just solved 8 in 2 minutes with a fresh look.

Jeezus, I have spent all freaking night on getting Genius on level 19. That thing is *hard*. Finally just barely eked by when I figured out that I could twerk the input string to make the isEmpty? call cheaper.

You should have gone to sleep first. I looked at the puzzle last night, and it looked hard, so I went to sleep. This morning, I woke up, had an idea, solved it in 10 minutes with +10 box score and +9 step score, spent 5 minutes making a small twerk to get +9 box score and +10 step score, and 5 more minutes making another small twerk to get genius.

Being fresh can help a lot.

Just out of curiosity, for level 19:
Spoiler:
Did you use the exit blue option in your recursion? I did not end up needing it at all, but I'm wondering if others did, and if so, how they used it. I suppose you can't actually use it if your solution is correct in all cases.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

Sorry, I can't tell now. I just checked both the Kongregate and Armor Games versions, and I no longer have a save file. :/

However, that means I can do it all again!

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:Just out of curiosity, for level 19:
Spoiler:
Did you use the exit blue option in your recursion? I did not end up needing it at all, but I'm wondering if others did, and if so, how they used it. I suppose you can't actually use it if your solution is correct in all cases.

Okay, took the time to redo all the levels.

No, I didn't use the blue at all. There's no need, and I can't figure out how you even *would* use it. There's a lot of things that seem promising until you realize that you've still only got one entry point.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Apparently the game just got updated, and the second exit from 19 was removed?
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:20 am UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:Apparently the game just got updated, and the second exit from 19 was removed?

I'm pretty sure that the second exit is there iff there is an arrow that heads out in that direction.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
skeptical scientist wrote:Apparently the game just got updated, and the second exit from 19 was removed?

I'm pretty sure that the second exit is there iff there is an arrow that heads out in that direction.

No, what I mean is the "Keep Unique" box used to have a green arrow and a blue arrow (so if you ever exited blue, you could direct that output separately from the main output). Now it only has a green arrow. This is true regardless of whether you have an arrow that heads in the direction of the blue side.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Huh, I thought I'd caused that in my own game. It would be pretty weird if the creator actually just now pushed an update.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 am UTC

Roguelike about escaping a frozen wilderness

It's fairly hard; my best is 243 meters from escaping. Advice spoilered if you want to figure things out yourself:
Spoiler:
If you can't find a compass, use the shadows of trees to find directions.
The mushrooms are okay to eat, although sometimes they make you more hungry.
Apparently being in a house doesn't protect you from the cold or wind...

Zindaras

Postby Zindaras » Fri May 03, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:I really liked logic box, but, as always, how you "mark" these sorts of things is contentious. For instance, here's my solution to 12

Spoiler:

and here's a version with fewer parts

Spoiler:

Mine has 11 parts, vs 8, but mine's 900 odd steps on the input, and the small one is 1200. It was nice to have both being marked, but the balance is more complicated than its counted atm.

Interesting. I built a contraption which required 925 steps, but had a lot more parts:

Spoiler:

No use of copy though.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue May 07, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

http://candies.aniwey.net

Free ASCII-art browser game, and winning does at least partly come down to just letting resources accumulate, but there's some skill in there too, and a lot more to the game than meets the eye.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed May 08, 2013 2:14 am UTC

So many lollipops!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed May 08, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:So many lollipops!

I'm only at 2.5 megapops (Mlp) at the moment - having spent 4.4 Mlp on my last upgrade.

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Fri May 10, 2013 4:38 am UTC

Beat the normal mode and am now poking at hard mode. Reluctant to use berserk potions, but not sure what I can really do to progress otherwise. :?

Maybe another weapon upgrade or two will do the trick, but I don't really have Mlp's to throw around at this stage of the game. Weapon strength is capped at 5 in hard mode. Well then... :?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:28 am UTC

A fun little 10 minute game.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/molkman/moon-waltz

Read after playing
Spoiler:
I managed to:
  • Get to the moon with my friend Catherine and the bartender
  • Find another werewolf friend
  • Kill that paranoid priest.
  • Introduce two lovers.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

http://willlovetearusapart.com/
you know, for joy division fans. or not. whatever. it's pretty interesting.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Spent a fair bit of time over the last few days playing Dungeon Robber. It's based on something Gary Gygax came up with in 1979, but it's been slightly updated.

Anyhow, you're an adventurer exploring a randomly generated dungeon. Kill monsters, loot treasure, try to survive.

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Spent a fair bit of time over the last few days playing Dungeon Robber. It's based on something Gary Gygax came up with in 1979, but it's been slightly updated.

Anyhow, you're an adventurer exploring a randomly generated dungeon. Kill monsters, loot treasure, try to survive.

Question, are your characters cumulative, so if I get 300xp on someone and they die, can I use anything from that on a new character, or do I have to get enough xp to change classes, and then I can get more?
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

Nope! You start fresh every time. However, if you manage to level up you can retire and that character becomes a permanent fixture in town which makes further resources available -- more stuff to buy in town and more class options when starting.

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Ah ok, so I need to retire alive with a minimum of 1k xp to make any progress, gotcha.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:(Also, anyone want me to split this jabber out?)

Yes, please. It's interesting, but it means I constantly get false hope for a new game when it's just y'all being chatty.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:33 am UTC

Impetus is a really cool game, even though (and because) you can't play it anymore.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

http://www.kongregate.com/games/CoreSector/ghost-hacker TD - tower have 2-4 upgrade slots with different colors in which you put a upgrade of the right color. Upgrades a quite significant (any power can have slow, extra target, bounce(yeah bounce+ extra target=4 times the fun), store 5 attacks, etc.), but once a tower has full slots there are no further upgrades for it. You can move towers or sell them for 100% of their cost. The level are short but challenging and for once I actually have to adapt to the level in a td. There are spells/scripts, but you actually get the money you pay for them back after a short while.
And it has a (super simple) story.
I quite like it. (Oh almost forgot: it has a 10 time speed up button!)

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:17 am UTC

PeteP wrote:http://www.kongregate.com/games/CoreSector/ghost-hacker TD - tower have 2-4 upgrade slots with different colors in which you put a upgrade of the right color. Upgrades a quite significant (any power can have slow, extra target, bounce(yeah bounce+ extra target=4 times the fun), store 5 attacks, etc.), but once a tower has full slots there are no further upgrades for it. You can move towers or sell them for 100% of their cost. The level are short but challenging and for once I actually have to adapt to the level in a td. There are spells/scripts, but you actually get the money you pay for them back after a short while.
And it has a (super simple) story.
I quite like it. (Oh almost forgot: it has a 10 time speed up button!)

I really like that game.

Also nice is Bubble Tanks Tower Defense 2, where all towers start out the same then branch out into different niches. If four fully upgraded towers are next to each other, you can buy a Mega Tower that combines all their characteristics. If four Mega Towers are next to each other, you can make a Mega Mega tower.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

Return to “Gaming”