Cool games on the interweb redux

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

nadbor

Re: Cool games on the interweb redux

Postby nadbor » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:08 am UTC

Here's a puzzle game I made:
http://turing-game.pl/
it's about programming and has robots in it. If you liked manufactoria, you will probably like this one too.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:51 am UTC

nadbor wrote:Here's a puzzle game I made:
http://turing-game.pl/
it's about programming and has robots in it. If you liked manufactoria, you will probably like this one too.

Definitely fun so far. A few suggestions:

• Keyboard shortcuts are a *must*. Having to drag and drop constantly really slows me down when I'm coding up a solution, and is difficult to do on a touchpad.
  • It would be nice to know whether it was your steps or your instructions that were keeping you from getting 3 stars on a level. (Or both.)
  • The number of robots added to the level-complete screen after a win seems unpredictable, which confuses me.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Star Hauler!
An online clone of the Galaxy Trucker boardgame!

It crashes my firefox sometimes (it hangs waiting once the ship is launched. Sometimes the hang "moves on", sometimes it does not.), so I found it's best played with just one tab. Not that it matters much. I consider it a yet another "you die" card. Almost all cards (events) in this game are "you die" cards anyway...

I don't think there is a mode to play with friends, you are just pitied against other players' ship designs I guess.

My best scores are just above 10, but I'm happy if I even make it to the end. Especially if others don't make it. I haven't tried the advanced or expert designs yet, so it might change if start making borg cubes.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:49 am UTC

I just spent the last few hours playing HaxBall. It's pretty much like soccer or handball, but it has simple controls and is a pretty fun little sports game. I'll definitely be playing more in the future.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:14 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If you want to contribute, Flash Games or Java Games are the preference. If it's a downloadable .exe, try not to link to anything over, say, 20 megs. The smaller the better. And don't bother linking any .exe that are installers. We don't want to install something on our system, we want something that can be played right after downloading. But again - Flash or Java is really what we're going for here because it's platform independent... I'm just letting some .exe files in because they're Deathworm or something similar.
What about Javascript in-browser games?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:58 am UTC

Yes, of course.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:Yes, of course.

Well in that case, Sandcastle Builder is at http://castle.chirpingmustard.com

The new version was just released!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:02 am UTC

... I have no idea what happened in the Time thread, but I kind of like it.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:... I have no idea what happened in the Time thread, but I kind of like it.
A lot happened. To the point that it has its own wiki!

jotun

Postby jotun » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:45 pm UTC

Kingdom Rush
Kingdom Rush: Frontiers

Super popular and well-made tower defense games, surprised they aren't on the list yet

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:04 am UTC

Limbs Repair Station

Cyberpunk factory worker time management game, akin to Paper, Please. Surprisingly addicting.

It was made for a contest, so think of it as a short demo or game concept. And make sure to click on that radio!
...It made more sense in my head.

New User

Postby New User » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

fyrenwater wrote:Limbs Repair Station

Cyberpunk factory worker time management game, akin to Paper, Please. Surprisingly addicting.

It was made for a contest, so think of it as a short demo or game concept. And make sure to click on that radio!

Spoiler:
It's an interesting concept, but yeah it's kind of simple to be considered a finished game. I had some issues with the Warranties. The manual says the warranty must not be expired, but I had a customer with a warranty that said it expired in 2039, and my calendar says it's 2041. But when I tried to reject the warranty, I was told that it was valid. Also, the manual says the "barcode must match" but I can't figure out any way to verify if the barcode is valid.

I also found that the R key scrolls up the workbench, but I didn't find a way to scroll it down. Also the T key makes the boss appear on the time clock, but apparently serves no purpose.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:55 pm UTC

New User wrote:
fyrenwater wrote:Limbs Repair Station

Spoiler:
It's an interesting concept, but yeah it's kind of simple to be considered a finished game. I had some issues with the Warranties. The manual says the warranty must not be expired, but I had a customer with a warranty that said it expired in 2039, and my calendar says it's 2041. But when I tried to reject the warranty, I was told that it was valid. Also, the manual says the "barcode must match" but I can't figure out any way to verify if the barcode is valid.

I also found that the R key scrolls up the workbench, but I didn't find a way to scroll it down. Also the T key makes the boss appear on the time clock, but apparently serves no purpose.
Barcode

Spoiler:
Located under the Resistor on the red panel. Has to match the warranty card
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:58 pm UTC

New User wrote:warranty must not be expired

As far as I can tell
Spoiler:
the ones in which you ignore the expired warranty are for the questionably-legal ones.

That, or it's just a bug. Very likely for a game made in 48(?) hours for a contest.
...It made more sense in my head.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:01 am UTC

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:42 am UTC

That's very cool. Right now I'm stuck at
Spoiler:
level 14... The default code has a syntax error on line 27 that I can't fix? I can't decide if this is a bug, or if I'm supposed to do some clever hacking thing to get around it.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:44 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:

That's very cool. Right now I'm stuck at
Spoiler:
level 14... The default code has a syntax error on line 27 that I can't fix? I can't decide if this is a bug, or if I'm supposed to do some clever hacking thing to get around it.

That's the one with the coloured locks and the keys, right? There shouldn't be any syntax errors in the original code, so, either you've done something clever and hackerish enough to break the game, or something else has gone wrong. I had that happen to me on the next level, where I did something clever and hackerish and broke the game. Returning to a previous level from the menu, then coming back to the one you're stuck on worked to fix it for me (resetting the level doesn't seem to actually clear everything)

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:22 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:That's very cool. Right now I'm stuck at
Spoiler:

Line 27? This is what I see:
Spoiler:
});

Looks right to me.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:41 am UTC

It's what I had too, but something weird happened. It worked once I reloaded everything.

I got to level 21, but it looks complicated and I'm not that familiar with javascript so whatever.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:36 am UTC

The last level does not take any specialized Javascript knowledge.

Not really a spoiler:
Spoiler:
It's a very simple edit in just the right place. You'd know it if you saw it.

Sort of a spoiler:
Spoiler:
objects.js.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure I'm stuck on level 9 due to a Chrome bug. Can someone tell me if this is approximately what should be happening?

Spoiler:
I set up a phoneCallback to turn the raft direction to 'up'. I call it when I'm standing on the raft. Right?

Right now, the fact that Chrome automatically creates global variables for any ID attributes on the page means that the "player" object doesn't actually exist - instead, it's a list of two HTML elements - so I can't install a phone callback at all.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm stuck on level 9 due to a Chrome bug. Can someone tell me if this is approximately what should be happening?

Spoiler:
I set up a phoneCallback to turn the raft direction to 'up'. I call it when I'm standing on the raft. Right?

Right now, the fact that Chrome automatically creates global variables for any ID attributes on the page means that the "player" object doesn't actually exist - instead, it's a list of two HTML elements - so I can't install a phone callback at all.

Alternate solution
Spoiler:
Phone callback somehow wasn't recognized as a function for me (he didn't change the color of player so probably the same problem) so I just copied the definition of raft to make a raft2, placed the raft2 under me, set the direction to up and filled the lower half of the map with water so that I could move. Its mostly c&p and works. You can also just fill the map with raft2s and walk over them.

gravity level
Spoiler:
Also I got to the level with gravity and thought "does the timer work in the jump function to call the jump function again?" but I forgot to add any conditions so the endless loop killed
firefox and I lost my progress^^

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:05 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:Alternate solution
Spoiler:
Phone callback somehow wasn't recognized as a function for me (he didn't change the color of player so probably the same problem) so I just copied the definition of raft to make a raft2, placed the raft2 under me, set the direction to up and filled the lower half of the map with water so that I could move. Its mostly c&p and works. You can also just fill the map with raft2s and walk over them.

Spoiler:
Oh jeez, good solution. I did *almost* that, but tried to just make a line of raft2s across the existing water, and got an error that there's already an object placed there.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:16 pm UTC

Spoiler:
For that one I tried spawning a raft (also named raft2) on top of the player, then just moving with it to the other side.

What did you guys do for level 13, the AI maze? I just copied the moveToward function from the drones and restarted until I got a map where that worked, but there's probably something more elegant with the phone.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:39 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Spoiler:
For that one I tried spawning a raft (also named raft2) on top of the player, then just moving with it to the other side.

What did you guys do for level 13, the AI maze? I just copied the moveToward function from the drones and restarted until I got a map where that worked, but there's probably something more elegant with the phone.

Spoiler:
I bound movement direction to the position of my character and just guided it manually.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:07 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Spoiler:

For level 13, I did something similar, but simpler:
Spoiler:
If (can move down) move down; else move right

A more elegant solution:
Spoiler:
choose 4 locations you can reach for L/R/U/D and guide the bot manually

More elegant still:
Spoiler:
write a generic maze-solver - create a temporary width * 8 array, set all cells to 100, set cells corresponding to walls to 255, set the key's location to 0, then iterate until stable, changing each non-wall cell to the minimum of its current value, or 1 more than the lowest neighbour. The bot's current location will have (at least) one neighbour exactly 1 lower than itself (assuming the maze is solvable) so move it to that location

You can also cheat slightly:
Spoiler:
create a persistent variable to track the bot's current heading, and use the left-hand rule - given your current heading, try each direction, starting with the one to your left until you can move in that direction, then do so, updating your current heading

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:18 pm UTC

I considered implementing A* search for that level, but that seemed like overkill.

onoresrts63

Postby onoresrts63 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:30 am UTC

Strike Force Heroes. Cool shooting game. There's a campaign that gradually increases the difficulty and challenges, which has a ridiculous amount of difficulty and there's a quick match wherein you can customize your own game(Deatmatch, Team Deathmatch etc.). You level up your 4 soldiers separately by using them in anywhere of the 3 ways to play. It looks easy at first but it is actually very challenging :) Have fun!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 pm UTC

What are the top, say, 5 free to play MMORPG picks of the list in the first post?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:15 am UTC

I'm pretty sure there are exactly 0 in the first post.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:43 pm UTC

I'd call Kingdom of Loathing a free MMO, but I don't say anything else that fits.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:01 pm UTC

For those of the Idle persuasion, I've fallen pretty hard for AdVenture Capitalist (wiki). It's a pretty standard idle with a fun twist; in order to advance past a certain point, you have to reset your game and lose everything. However, you earn Angel Investors as you play, which give you an income boost and are preserved across resets, but you only actually get to use them *after* a reset. The game thus is a continuous cycle of play => games gets slow => reset => play, which is kinda interesting, and fun to see the early stages fly past as you accumulate angels.

The game also plays around with stupendously large numbers. Before your first reset you'll barely hit the trillions, but at this point (I've been playing about a week) I can reset and start seeing septillions within five minutes. That's nowhere close to the endgame, though - there are upgrades to buy which cost novemvigintrillions of dollars. It takes a lot of resets to get there, but eventually you're earning billions or quadrillions of angels per reset, too, so your accumulated income multipliers gradually get enormous.

I've been doing a lot of work on the wiki to make it presentable and organized, so it's actually kinda useful for information now.

Some tips:

• Don't be discouraged by extra-long profit cycle times for the later buildings, especially the oil company. The Achievements actually have an in-game purpose - the first six for each building are speed doublers, plus another six every-building speed doublers for when all of your buildings hit certain number milestones. 12 doublings means that the oil company only takes 9 seconds to fire, the bank about 1.5 seconds, and the rest too little time to even show. You'll only ever need to suffer that full-length oil company cycle once; that should give you enough money to buy 25+ of everything and bring it to a more reasonable level, and on later resets you'll earn enough that you don't need to wait for it to complete a cycle.
  • Buy your first-tier managers asap; they're incredibly useful.
  • Don't neglect to buy Upgrades too, as their multipliers are invaluable. In later resets, don't be afraid to skip the ones for lower-tier businesses in favor of bank/oil/all multipliers first; you can clean up and buy the less valuable ones afterward when you're making 9 times as much money.
  • Aim for your first reset at 50-150 angel investors. You'll hit fifty at about 111 trillion lifetime earnings, and 150 at 1 quadrillion. This is lifetime earnings, not cash on hand, so don't be afraid you have to build up money.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:14 am UTC

Btw her is a version you can speed up by 1000* http://vvenkai.com/Capitalism/ It lacks many newer features and the graphics of the proper version but I find such things useful to remind me that I find waiting for exponential growth games kinda pointless. (Without reaching the point in the game itself where I think: "Why am I doing this?")

SpaceMammoth

Postby SpaceMammoth » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:58 pm UTC

Dunno if it counts as a cool game, but nearly 15 years ago I wrote "Death Star Battles", a gravity wars style game for upto 12 players. Its still online http://www.deathstarbattles.co.uk, give it a go if you like artillery games, probably give it a miss if you don't. People seemed to like it at the time, but its a bit dated now. I'm close to releasing a sequel on Android (other platforms to follow) called Mammoth Gravity Battles, but that's another story.

My current hobby project: http://www.mammothgravitybattles.com - Mammoth Gravity Battles, turn based strategy/artillery game

Steampunk_Bard

Postby Steampunk_Bard » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:25 am UTC

I really like ir/rational Redux for it's concept. It's a puzzle game centered around formal logic. The creator is also make a full game based on this called Ir/rational Investigator, which just got greenlit, so I'm pretty excited for that.
I call myself Forte, so you can too. Of course that it always taken, which is why it's not my username.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:48 am UTC

A lot of these games are flash, and there are several sites out there that are all about flash games ie Kongregate and Armor games. Recently we've heard Firefox and Chrome are default blocking flash, and Facebook's infosec head telling us that Adobe should set a date for flash to die.

So the question is, where should I go to procrastinate web style in this brave new, flash fearing, world?
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

New User

Postby New User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:03 pm UTC

Yesterday, I noticed that Firefox was blocking Adobe Flash, even on trusted websites I normally visit. I updated Flash Player and it stopped.

Unity Web Player has grown in popularity in recent years. Kongregate gets a lot of Unity games, for example. So if Adobe Flash ever becomes obsolete, maybe Unity will replace it as a browser-based platform for these types of games. If not Unity, then I'm sure some other platform will rise to fill the gap. It probably won't happen overnight, so there's no need to worry about it. If websites like Kongregate are willing to accept Unity in addition to Flash, then I'm sure that other websites will adapt to the change if they want to survive to compete in the market.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:29 am UTC

Not technically an interweebs game, but I found a demo on steam of Defect: Spaceship Destruction Kit after watching MATN do a LP on YT of this and I'm hooked and/or stuck. Doesn't seem to be much discussion around this game but I didn't quite feel like starting a new thread. Basically you build ships, beat the enemies with it, and then your crew defects and mutinies, taking your ship. So in the next level, you have to fight the ship you used to beat the last level. So you can't build them too good. In fact you should build them with defects you know of and can exploit later. Pretty interesting.

audiodude

Postby audiodude » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:50 am UTC

I know there's a Nomic game on this very forum that just started: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112427&p=3842103

In case anyone's interested, I've also started my own game on Github, where the proposals are done as pull requests: https://github.com/audiodude/odeon

To join the game, you create a pull request that adds your username to the players/ directory.

Cheers!

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:05 am UTC

Do you like the idea of Factorio, but think it's too fiddly/complex and, well, 3dish? Do you like idle games? Try FactoryIdle, a pretty neat little factory-based idle game.

I'm still in the early game, where factory lines are relatively simple, but my research floors have gotten pretty complex, and from the sound of the late-game items you can produce, I think it'll end up getting pretty complicated and fun.

It doesn't have the (imo) complicated conveyer/picker dynamics of Factorio - conveyer belts just come out of producers and end in consumers. Two non-obvious notes about conveyers: (1) you *can* cross the belts - just keep drawing through the perpendicular line, and it'll change from "merged into the perpendicular" to "crossing"; (2) any time there are 2+ possible output choices (either from multiple output belts leaving a producer, or a belt splitting into 2 or 3 directions), items will cycle between the choices evenly, starting with the top choice and going clockwise. Use this carefully to control where mixed-content conveyers send things when you need to split them up without sorters, like the plastic maker.

Anyway, I like it a lot.

Return to “Gaming”