Describe a game you think would be awesome

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

infernovia

Re: Describe a game you think would be awesome

Postby infernovia » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:38 am UTC

I think its more fun to have no levelling for three reasons:
    I don't have time to grind characters and skills. I could do much more interesting things like deriving the quadratic formula.

Quick access to all characters. If you get bored off of one character, you get another character to play with instantaneously that will not be terrible in PvP (well not due to a game level cap). You also don't have to grind that character all the way to the top.

Variety. Less grinding and investment in level curvature for the designers means more actual variety when one reaches the finale (melee v range v status v summoner v healer etc.). In your idea everybody would be the same at the finale, meaning the conclusion would be kinda homogeneous.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:21 am UTC

I liked the setup of Shadow of the Colossus, where you got significantly stronger after each battle, rather than grinding through endless random encounters.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well, the thing with UO's skillset is that there were only a handful of combat related skills. With a 700 cap, you could easily master your weapon of choice, associated skills that went with combat, and have an extra 200 or so to play with. Didn't matter if your first 100 was in Swordsmanship, or if it was your 7th.. you hit just as hard with swords.

I suppose I'm trying to ditch the idea of using an Alt to try out different skills and such because you didn't pick those with your first character - the idea being that given enough time, you *can* master every skill in the game... granted, only 5 or so of them relate to combat, 3 or so to magic, and the other 30 have to do with crafting or.. my personal favorite - begging - but the idea is that you stick with one character for the whole thing.

But, like I said, I'm sure I'm missing something fundamental about that.

Then what you get is every character becoming the same.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

I've never played Guild Wars but a friend has described it to me.
he said there was a low level cap that most characters reached rather quickly, from there you could pick from a huge variety of skills for your character and combine/fine tune what you want them to do.
Ⓞⓞ◯

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

My ideal game would be a MMORPFP/TPS with a very large open world. I would also want full PvP, possibly with some safe zones so that n00bs aren't always getting pwned. It's leveling system would have to be made so that there is little to no incentive for high-level players to slaughter lower-level ones, though.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

I don't think lack of incentive or reasons to do it is enough to keep high-level players from ganking low-levels.

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

Perhaps an experience point penalty if the victim is a certain number of levels below you?

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

Er, as in, you SUFFER for doing so, or you don't get rewarded as MUCH?
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

artifex

Postby artifex » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:47 am UTC

How about an video game adaptation of the rpg Eclipse Phase? You could explore a ruined, post-singularity Earth as an immortal, uplifted crow, or as a swarm of modular robots with the mind of an artist-- Vastly better then the usual market-tested D&D fare.

Or, better yet: Nobilis. We may not have the technology to allow anything resembling the huge number of possibilities that game allows-- but then, I'd have thought the same thing about the ideas behind Spore or Scribblenauts before they were announced.

Return to “Gaming”