Describe a game you think would be awesome

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Pizzashark

Re: Describe a game you think would be awesome

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:36 am UTC

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl with a decent story and without all the suck.

Basically, an FPS/RPG hybrid. Running around in a sandbox world, doing side jobs while completing the main story-arc missions. Faction-based warfare (using Stalker example, Duty vs. Freedom factions), inventory system, things like that, but without the stats and skill system common to most traditional RPGs (such as Fallout 3.)

Both solo and squad-based combat. Separate single-player and cooperative multi-player game modes, both following the same overall story arc, but differing slightly between the two.

Preferably a post-apocalyptic environment (not necessarily a nuclear post-apocalyptic.)

Steampunk might be interesting, but I can't see using swords and sorcery without making it too RPG-like. Needs to be modern, present-day weaponry and tactics.

Needs to have extremely good NPC AI. Fully-featured world. People you get jobs from will not always be in the same freaking spot all the freaking time. They'll go hunting, go home and sleep, go into the bushes and take a shit. Animal life behaves realistically. Depending on timeline of the game, seasons change.

Not an MMO.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:33 am UTC

I've always wanted to play an FPS in a world that works like Animal Crossing. The perpetual time-line, neighbors that move in and out. But then I can go on adventures outside of the town. Or in town...hold up Nook's, shoot the annoying bunny/cat thing that keeps trying to give me that ugly sofa.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:43 am UTC

Hah, yeah. You get to be the murderous, sociopathic, passive-aggressive lemur.
Everyone wants a slice.™

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:47 am UTC

Some Asshole wrote:Hah, yeah. You get to be the murderous, sociopathic, passive-aggressive lemur.

No, not at all....

I'd be a badger.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:31 am UTC

Badgers aren't obscure enough, though.
Everyone wants a slice.™

_Big_Mac_

Postby _Big_Mac_ » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

I want to see a space sim game with proper relativistic effects.

With multiplayer.

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:54 am UTC

A Super Hero game done in the style of Legend of Zelda.

You start off with some basic powers, like how in the LoZ games you start of with the shield, sword, and maybe a slingshot or something. Then you go though a series of super villain lairs and such, gaining a new power each time, with the new power being instrumental in the boss fight. So just like the Zelda games, but instead of getting the hookshot and bombs, you get eye-lasers and super-speed.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:22 am UTC

Neuman wrote:A Super Hero game done in the style of Legend of Zelda.

You start off with some basic powers, like how in the LoZ games you start of with the shield, sword, and maybe a slingshot or something. Then you go though a series of super villain lairs and such, gaining a new power each time, with the new power being instrumental in the boss fight. So just like the Zelda games, but instead of getting the hookshot and bombs, you get eye-lasers and super-speed.

I thought of something like this, once....a Heroes prequel game, where you play as Sylar, roaming the country picking up powers from various victims. I figure it'd have a little bit of Mega Man / Soul Reaver style action to it, of course.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Ok, so this could be my favourite game ever:

You play as some sort of God or some very very powerful being. You could invent some story to allow for the game play pretty easily.

Basically your job will be to create heros/adventurers/<insert name here> and test them against dungeons/monsters/bosses/etc you yourself also make. To make the heros you'd use a system somewhat similar to SC4 customisation, except you'd have height/weight/race and much more control over body shape and many many many more items and more opportunity to overlay items or parts of items. Items won't have stats but instead give you some sort of "credit" for purchasing stat upgrades and special affects on the character. This way you won't be as penalised for using some armors/weapons for aesthetics rather than for maxing stats, of course the more crazy items will have more credit points, but no so much more that you're fucked if you use the cloth tunic because it suits the character's look well. Additionally you could set a personality trait or "fighting style" for the character or something like that.

After you're done making heros/characters/whatever you could make your own dungeon for them to try and fight through (the game should come with premade ones as well) to see how they preform. You could probably use a simple "block by block" editor type thing for the dungeons. You can also make monsters with skills and weapons etc. or even other characters for the heros to fight against in the dungeons - all with restrictions of course, possibly based on level etc.

Of course, when it comes down to it, you never actually play the heros, they just go about their business. It'd be like a Fantasy/Anime The Sims where you create spelunkers/adventurers instead of normal people.

It could play something like a Sim City style My Life as King with huge customisation of everything. There could be a storyline that the heros slowly find out what you (God, or something) is doing and how you're making them AND the monsters and the dungeons and forcing them to do stuff, and you "win" the game when you create heros who end up becoming strong enough to defeat the Machiavellian god (you).

You could even make them duel each other and stuff. I'm thinking if they die in a dungeon or not in a safe zone then you lose them forever (maybe you'd get some very very limited resurrection abilities) to force you and try to refine your character building techniques. This won't be one of those "if you spend enough time with a fail strategy you'll win anyway because you leveled up enough" type-game (since you can't directly control the characters).

Of course, it's very possibly that this would be too hard to build, but if it wasn't you could even have the heros competing between eachother for politics/money/fame/love etc. based on their personality builds.

Basically I just want to be able to make a whole lot of characters w/ really good customisation and then not play them and make some more except even cooler than just playing NWN2 for an hour and making another character or making 50 Custom Characters on SC4 in the first week -- because I like making characters.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

Kind of makes me think of that old C64 game where you custom built a tank with radar, guns, tracks etc. and scripted its behaviour. Idea was you'd pit 2 tanks against one another on random generated or pre-designed terrain and whoever's AI scripts worked better with the equipment they had would win the battle.

I'd love to see an expansion of that idea. Similar to The Seed: Warzone, an RTS where you design large battleships outside of the levels (or during the levels while the game is paused) and give them a battle plan. Then you build them in game and send them against the enemy. When enemies come in contact, a battle ensues where the ships obey their battle plans to the letter; the player has no control.

It sounds boring to some, but it's VERY engrossing to analyse the battle and see how effective your battle scripts are and where you can improve them to better counter opposing tactics. The only hitch is it just takes a damn long time to design battle scripts if you start getting complex about it, which wouldn't really gel for multiplayer since you can't pause the action to spend half an hour designing a counter to the enemy, who'll just pause and spend half an hour designing a counter to that, but I think it'd be cool to have units that obeyed only basic move/engage commands and had to run on the AI scripts you'd designed.

Anyway, that's a fair bit different from what you were describing. Fable 2 took all combat aspects away from clothing so you could wear whatever you liked for aesthetics. Too bad they then went and provided a total of about 8 outfits. I kinda like the idea from the perspective of making levels and sharing them, maybe seeing which heroes completed the level and which didn't, who found secret areas I'd put in etc.
It'd be a neat social thing. You could send off a hero and watch them go, maybe party heroes from multiplayers, or multiple heroes from the one player, with user generated maps. Nice.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

@aleflamedyud and Instinctsage
On the topic of your prescience game idea (which sounds awesome!) you earlier disreagarded the idea of WW as a single button kill attack.
Hows abouts if you still have WW as a single hit kill but it has higher conditions for you to activate it, for instance to even have it occur you have to focus entirely on one enemy (maybe a trigger button), and then one of the 'ghost frames' of their moves has a defining feature (maybe it glints or glows) and it requires you to press dodge/block then the WW button to display a showy finisher.

On the idea of focusing, if they focus then no other enemies moves will be shown so it will be harder to avoid damage, it could be a kind of toss up between, no focusing and slow takedown leading to more damage (some troublesome enemies that change their ghosts often?) or focusing to take out certain targets quicker but at the expense of easier to take damage during it.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

InstinctSage, are you familiar with Robocode? It may be what you're looking for.

micco

Postby micco » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

The first Clock Tower on DS would be awesome. Also, Urban Dead made using source engine would be awesome.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

I really like Valve's no-cutscene concept. I also like Valve's way of giving you the controls (little out-of-the-way box, no character spouting control directions at you) but I don't like that they don't mention some of them (crouch in Half-Life 2 or Portal, can't remember which).

I want a game where nothing is said about the game -- at all -- before you start playing it. (This would make it impossible to market of course, so some compromise would need to be made there in order to actually get people to play it.) Not even controls (which would mean that you can't map a key to a control until the game tells you about it). As far as the main character goes, this would require you to give him/her amnesia or some other sort of mind-wipe. It'd be an FPS/RPG, and you'd discover things about your past as you went along.

I've had other ideas regarding this concept but can't remember what they are at the moment.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Wooster

Postby Wooster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

As someone said, XCOM in a full 3d enviro.

I'd go a step further, make it a worldwide MMO, with the kicker that if the aliens (AI run) take over your country on Earth in the game...your toon suffers loss of supply, has no base to go to, no air support, etc, and has to go guerrilla.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:@aleflamedyud and Instinctsage
On the topic of your prescience game idea (which sounds awesome!) you earlier disreagarded the idea of WW as a single button kill attack.
Hows abouts if you still have WW as a single hit kill but it has higher conditions for you to activate it, for instance to even have it occur you have to focus entirely on one enemy (maybe a trigger button), and then one of the 'ghost frames' of their moves has a defining feature (maybe it glints or glows) and it requires you to press dodge/block then the WW button to display a showy finisher.

On the idea of focusing, if they focus then no other enemies moves will be shown so it will be harder to avoid damage, it could be a kind of toss up between, no focusing and slow takedown leading to more damage (some troublesome enemies that change their ghosts often?) or focusing to take out certain targets quicker but at the expense of easier to take damage during it.

Now what I'm thinking is: you'd better watch out! He knows about timed hits! No seriously, having some special little timed-hit function that triggers the Weirding Way sounds awesome.

Also, I've got a pretty ready-made setting for the game in my head. Is there a forum for people making games where I can just transplant or have a mod fork a thread for this game idea?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

ProjectWind

Postby ProjectWind » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:47 am UTC

first off: sorry for the poor organization of the following text, im kind of just throwing ideas out of my head.
Spoiler:
this game would probably never work as an mmorpg, but i would love to see this game, even if only a single player game
My idea for a game would be a super immersive 1st person mmorpg. First off, no HUD except for small text that shows up on the bottom of the screen when looking at something/someone (displaying their name), and a small indicator for # of ranged weapons. secondly, the "world" would be a combinator of NPCs and PCs. It would be very hard to tell them apart, because all players will be required to have a realistic character name. NPCs will actually have lives, kind of like oblivion, but to a much more detailed degree. weapon/equipment damager/wear and player health would be reflected on the weapons/equipment/body (a command would allow a player to stop and "inspect" themselves/equipment). The entire premise is that the world is a "low-magic" world (think LOTR, how only a couple wizards exist), players would be unable to use magic, only npcs (and not that many). The world would be divided into factions, each commanding their own npc armies (which would fight each other, controlled by the game developers), cities, etc. ALL npcs can be killed, but important ones would be heavily guarded. assassinations of kings/generals/important ppl would have world implications. factions would constantly be at war, making peace, losing/gaining territory. players would be able to have multiple professions, kinda like eve online where combat is nowhere near necessary to become successful. The economy would be run by the players (again like eve online), items never "disappear" or magically appear in npc vendors, all items will be crafted by players and then passed along (until they wear down, and new ones are made). items and equipment will have 2 condition meters, one affects the item's ability (damage, defense) but can be repaired (to a degree, see ahead), it also wears down quickly. the second meter wears down very slowly, does not effect item ability, but cannot be repaired. the 1st condition meter can be repaired only up until the 2nd meter. (basically this means that although items can be repaired, eventually they will break down and be unusable). jumping would not just be a button you can randomly press (this pisses me off and destroys realism). jumping would work like it does in zelda games, where you can only jump in useful places) (no more random jumping idiots in town). towns/cities would have their own npc/pc guards (guard could be a profession a pc takes up), and laws would exist for each faction. players be on terms with each faction (starting neutral with all). in neutral standing, the cities/towns will let you in but only for a couple days. in good standing (multiple variations of good standing) you may be allowed to stay for longer, forever, get better deals from npc vendors, have access to certain buildings, etc. bad standing may mean that you are allowed in, but you are watched closely by guards, or not let in at all, or attacked on sight. you are still able to commit crimes in towns/cities, but if caught, you will be fined/imprisoned/killed. this opens up a whole bunch of cool stuff like being a criminal/thief. also, you could disguise yourself (and be good at it if you are skilled in it) and try to bluff past the guards, or even try to scale the wall at night and get in that way. since the world is so large, walking from place to place would be impractical for long distances. mounts would be available(meaning mounted combat as well). also, ships that travel from city to city would exist and be accessed for a nominal fee (both water ships and airships (baddass). (not super realistic, but whatever). players would gain xp from doing stuff (attributed to whatever profession/class they are), and gain levels. levels affect how proficient one is, but not to a huge degree. lower levels CAN kill higher levels, especially with proper items/equipment, but if 2 players are equally skilled (combat would not just be hack and slash, parrying attacks would be very important) and have equal items, the higher level should almost always win. there would be no level restrictions on items/mounts, but a noob using an exotic weapon would suck, possibly injuring himself, same with mounts (probably fall off and get smooshed by hooves if no skill). each level up would give a player some "skill points" that they could allocate to skills but they would also gain natural skill in their profession/class. (think skill points/feats in D&D). players can pick up quests from npcs, but also pcs can offer quests (legal or not, eg. guard this caravan of goods, or steal this item from xxx player). (players who decide to follow a merchant profession would have to move items around by use of caravan and need guards from those jerk thief pcs) i think it would be so cool to be a powerful/wealthy merchant, and own several caravans/ships/airships that are all transporting goods around the world (you would have to deal with a whole bunch of issues, including douche other merchants who are competition) Death would have penalties, but would not be horrible. before you actually die, you would pass out and fall to the ground. if the person who is killing you wants to finish the job, they could, or ignore you and move on. in cities, guards would likely arrive to save you from bleeding out. outside of cities, you would eventually bleed-out. if you are saved in time, there would be no penalties except for having basically no health and operating at something like 70% condition (affects walking speed, skills, combat, etc) for a few game days. if you die die, then you respawn somewhere safe. your killer would be allowed to take 1 or 2 items that you had on you when you died. the rest are given back to you. you would then operate at something like 50% for like a game week, then get better (certain items/processes could make recovery time faster, such as spending time in a hospital/medical placey place.) death death would also permanently give you 1 "death point", a certain number of points would do something really bad, not sure what tho. magical items would not exist, but high quality items would certainly exist, and would physically be representative (akafull o gold and precious gems), also, when an item breaks down, some of the materials can be recovered for new items to be made. also, items would have multiple looks to them. eg armor called "leather armor" would have 4 different models, but the same base stats. this would make people all look different, also there would be a crapload of armor/weapons available. also, "armor" for non-combat ppl would still be important. merchants that wear fancy clothing would be able to make better deals with npcs, and show to pcs that they are wealthy, and good to do business with? also, blacksmiths and crafters "armor" would help them avoid injuring from red hot metal, etc. also, when players make their characters in the beginning of the game, they will have a crapload of options to change face/body type etc. (not that a randomizer would be mandatory, and would subtly change the players face before they start, this is to avoid people who try to get a whole bunch of people looking the same, jerks). also, body type would not be able to be changed a lot. not super short ppl or super tall ppl or super fat ppl. players would gain scars overtime (to a maximum amount of scars), and this would affect the way npcs respond to them (hella scars would either scare people or make them respect you as a soldier, or disrespect you as a merchant). also, there would be a sort of pc government. basically pcs could have a sort of council for each faction, that would be able to influence what the npc faction leader/king would do. players would have to be a certain level to be eligible to be on the council, and would have to gain influence in both the npc and pc characters. (note that the council would not be able to do crazy things, like start a random war with a friendly faction, but they might be able to start a war between 2 factions with poor a a poor relationship. also, voicechat would be included in the game, but it would be proximity based, meaning that the closer you are to someone talking, the louder they are. (more realistic). stupid annoying kids who spam the voicechat and follow you around could be reported and muted. profanity would be allowed (rated M game for the gore anyways), but not over the top. it would be REALLY cool if the game had really good voice recognition, and you could "talk" to npcs( meaning that you would be shown a menu of possible replies and would have to say it outloud. (people without mics could just select via mouse)). afk people who are just standing around in a city would be transported to a local inn or somewhere after a while (10 minutes afk?). this would prevent creepy afk zombies. damage would be relevant to body part. getting stabbed in the arm would be reflected on both your character and his abilities (worse at aiming bow, stabbing people yourself). finally, characters age, both leveling up and playtime would affect rate of aging. when your character maxes out level and plays a long time, your character would be old (age would slightly affect skills,aka not as good at combat, but still good at being a merchant/politician). when you do become an old man, you would have the option of restarting the game as your own child. you would basically get to start over, but with benefits of your parent, (items and certain skill bonuses, aka if your parent was a grizzled war veteran, you would naturally get a bonus in combat). note that you would not lose skill in other areas, meaning that if your parent was a war veteran, but you wanted to be a merchant the second time around, you would not be at a disadvantage. items would not be given to you right out. first off, you would only be able to pass down a certain amount of items (based on their value) and they would be given to your character over time/leveling (eg. you would be able to hand down 1000g of items, so you pick out 1000g of items, including low value items and high value items. your child would then get all the items worth 10g or less right off the bat, and then 100g and less at lvl 10, 500g at lvl 15,etc.). I'm also thinking about being able to own land/a house, but im not sure that would work in mmorpg form. also, random: even tho this is a low-magic world, mythical beasts would definitely exist, and be common. your pc can be from a certain limited choice of races. also, dragons and stuff like that would exists, and be badass btw. also, random thought, because shipping through water based ships exist. pirates would also exist. pc and npc. also, because airships exist, air-pirates (badass) some ships and airships could be piloted (not the big ones tho, such as giant cargo ships and ferries, those would be npc controlled).

basically im asking for a video game version of D&D. (with no magic)
- ProjectMuffin.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:52 am UTC

Please paragraph your shit.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

ProjectWind

Postby ProjectWind » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:59 am UTC

Yeah I know, sorry. I don't think that would be possible due to my ideas being all over the place.
TL;DR
ProjectWind wrote:basically im asking for a video game version of D&D. (with no magic)

random side note, if i shake my monitor while looking at my text, I see little mountain ranges and trees.
- ProjectMuffin.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:13 am UTC

ProjectWind wrote:Yeah I know, sorry. I don't think that would be possible due to my ideas being all over the place.
TL;DR
ProjectWind wrote:basically im asking for a video game version of D&D. (with no magic)

random side note, if i shake my monitor while looking at my text, I see little mountain ranges and trees.

Well, I'm not sure how many people are actually going to get more than that message, so it's not like we can really talk about it.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Ralith

Postby Ralith » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

Everything physics. Bullets? Physics. Gun control mechansisms? Physics. Everything but people are physics, and completely correct hitzones even then.
I am a 14 year old who types at 60 words per minute and can read at a post-college level.
Please view my articles!
http://www.triond.com/users/ralith

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

Ralith wrote:Everything physics. Bullets? Physics. Gun control mechansisms? Physics. Everything but people are physics, and completely correct hitzones even then.

So basically you get shot once and either die, are incapacitated and bleed out, or are crippled and possibly bleed out. Not my idea of fun.

Movie realism is more fun; basically it means you can take a couple bullets (except in the head) without suffering major ill effects unless they're dramatic (example: arm is shot and can't use it for the big action scene but it's miraculously usable immediately afterward), but more than that is dangerous.

I do like the concept of bleeding out and having to staunch wounds. BF2's Project Reality does a very good job at this (and many other realism-oriented things.)

I'm not really too keen on the idea of ballistic physics. Having to lead your target is fine and you have to do it in virtually any game, bullet physics or not, but having to account for gravitational pull and wind resistance and all the little minutiae seems... annoying. I like hitting the things I point my crosshairs or ironsights at, not having to place those ironsights or crosshairs 4.873 degrees north by northwest of the target.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

3rd person, 3D, complete version of Loom for the Wii..

I don't believe this requires further explanation
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

Ralith

Postby Ralith » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

I mean movie realism, a little tougher the CoD4 or so. No 5000 bullets.

And bullet physics applying on physical objects, mostly.
I am a 14 year old who types at 60 words per minute and can read at a post-college level.
Please view my articles!
http://www.triond.com/users/ralith

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 am UTC

Skateside wrote:3rd person, 3D, complete version of Loom for the Wii..

I don't believe this requires further explanation

I could never get loom to work so I've been robbed of its apparent awesomeness. :(

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:11 am UTC

This is going to sound bad, but, what's Loom? Also, I love this thread. You people are too smart and creative.

Here's one of my ideas that I wrote up a while ago, and posted on ScrewAttack:
Spoiler:
So everyone knows first person shooters, right? And, of course there are third person shooters also. In first person you see through the character's eyes, and in third, you get a random view from a point constantly hovering above or behind your character. What about second person? No one thinks about that. In literature, second person uses dialog as if it's aimed at the reader (instead of "I" in first, and "he/she/it/them" in third, it would be "you"). My game is a second person shooter (SPS). You see through the eyes of the people you shoot.

I suppose it would be in a futuristic environment and the main character had a sort of astral projection skill thing, that let him see from other points, while still controlling his body. The only problem: the astral projection only works inside other living things, and many of them want to kill you. So, using lock on (I don't see how it would work without lock on, it's kinda hard to aim at the screen), you would shoot at yourself, aiming for the face.

The story needs to be surreal to fit with the gameplay, so I'm thinking you are an alien that in a planet conquering army, except, on your last planet, most of the soldiers picked up a dormant virus that activated upon contact with the next world you come into contact with (Which could be Earth, I dunno), causing zombification. Your character is forced to shoot his best friend (using the astral projection thing), and views it from his friends point of view, and notices that when killed he reverted back to his former self for a split second, feeling immense pain and a feeling of betrayal because he didn't remember turning into a zombie, just being shot by you. The main character starts going a bit crazy when this happens, and blames the inhabitants of the planet you are currently on. He vows to make them pay, and sets off on his misguided crusade. During the game he becomes more and more crazy, causing, strange things to happen. The levels start being a mix between hallucination and reality, with no way to tell them apart, until, the final levels are totally within the mind of the main character. Then you see yourself through the eyes of all the people you killed as a ruthless monster who let none live. You then wake up seeing yourself shivering and drooling with someone looking over you (you're seeing through their eyes) and asking if you are okay, saying you've appeared around there a few weeks ago, and you were sick, injured and entirely detached, unable to react to anything that was happening. Then you move your astral projection into yourself for the first time since the beginning of the game and see the people helping you are natives from the planet, and they don't know what you've done because there was huge war that started after your people wiped themselves out (non infected and infected killing each other), and you were believed to be a story to cover up war deaths. You scream and the credits roll.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:58 am UTC

I don't know about a second person shooter per se... Doesn't sound like something I'd want (despite the cool cinematics you've just described, excellent use for spooking players) but Forbidden Siren uses second person camera as a sort of recon tool. By using the zombies' eyes you can see where and when it is safe to keep moving.

I should note I haven't played it so I don't know how well it works, but yeah. I think there's uses for second person camera, like astral projection and stuff, but I think it works better as a reconnaissance tool than an action based one.

BSaito

Postby BSaito » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:12 am UTC

Could we get the prescience in a split topic? It's very cool and all but I think like half of the topic now is discussion of the implementation of this one idea.

Anyways, my game idea: A Wii fighting game where instead of different characters with different pre-programmed "moves," you have a designed avatar and you choose your weapon, which you control using the wiimote. I'm not sure how movement would be implemented yet. The D-pad seems a decent starting point, but I want there to be a difference between stepping forward and lunging forward. Maybe holding A or B turns normal steps into lunges or jumps? The game would include as weapon choices (at least): rapier, longsword, two-handed sword (and/or katana), halberd (and/or spear), and quarterstaff. Other weapon possibilities include maces, flails, ball and chain, axes, mauls, scythes, whips, dual wielding dirks/short swords/daggers, and sword and shield combo (Include tutorials for the basics of wielding each weapon?).

Several of these options would require a player to use two wiimotes at once, and I think it would be a good idea to require it for other weapons. Nintendo could release a wiimote accessory (since they jump at every opportunity to do so) which is basically an extendable rod that holds two wiimotes in alignment at a desired distance from each other. This could be used for two handed weapons to ensure that the player is actually using the weapon two handed. Perhaps they need to hold down the B button (which unfortunately would rule out using it for lunges or jumps) to show that the corresponding hand is on the weapon. Swinging it with one of the buttons released swings the weapon one handedly in-game, which is clumsy.

Problems:
-How accurate is the wiimote? I remember a lot of frustration trying to get the game to do what I was doing in, for instance, wii boxing.
-Both players would need to stand where their wiimote movements could be registered by the sensor bar, as well as have room to avoid accidently hitting each other IRL while playing. Possible?
-Movement controls. The D-pad may be possible, but hitting other buttons (besides B) in conjunction with the D-pad while wielding the wiimote like a weapon seems impractical.
Anonymous wrote:So... wait... evil exists because Satan was after tenure, and needed publications?

Douglas Adams wrote:You live and learn. At any rate, you live.

Niels Bohr wrote:Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

Yeah, that sounds... Tricky. I'd rather limit it to 1 wii-mote per player and use the nunchuck for movement. Analog stick movement, you can use the Z and C buttons if you wanted lunge etc. but I don't see why a double tap isn't possible, that's how most fighting games do it.
But until we see what the motion plus add on to the wii mote can do that sort of thing just won't register properly. It can't handle that kind of precision.

New concept:

Been playing a mix of Ace Combat 6 and Project Sylpheed on the 360 to get my fill of air/space combat, and I thought of a new space combat control scheme. Left stick handles pitch and roll, bumpers (or 1 shoulder buttons for PS3) are your yaw, triggers/2 shoulder buttons are your nose gun and main weapon (switchable with another button for more main weapons) while the right stick, instead of controlling the camera, lock the player to cockpit view (it's the only way to fly, really) and make the right stick thrust in 360 degrees.

Idea is you can strafe and perform all kinds of neat maneuvers while you still have all the functionality of the standard forward or reverse thrust capabilities. Project Sylpheed and old school Wing Commander throw you up against Cap ships that have turrets, shield generators, engines and main guns (in wing commander 3 you could even strafe the launch bays to take out fighters before they took off). It's fantastic, but you have to perform strafing runs like you would in atmospheric conditions, lining up, charging, firing and pulling out.

Moving in space this would be ludicrously inefficient use of thrusters and a silly tactic overall, considering you could match speed and dodge about to strafe fire while keeping your nose always pointed towards your target. With my proposed control scheme, you could do all this, plus a bunch of other fancy maneuvers. The only limitation would be the lack of native up/down movement, instead requiring you to pitch up, thrust, then pitch down again (this is already what you have to do so it's not a loss of functionality). You could map thrust up/down to different buttons of course, but it seems a touch fiddly to do so.

Is anyone else here a fan of flight/spaceflight sims? What do you think?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

Did you ever play Tachyon: The Fringe?

I ask because that game had .. I think they called it a "slide" button. Basically, it'd kill your propulsion engine and allow you to freely spin while continuing the path you were traveling before you hit the button at the same speed. Allowing you to accelerate, hit the button, then spin towards capital ships, raking them with fire while sliding past them at a high rate of speed.

It had some issues that need addressing before it's a more realistic game (things like you having afterburners that, right after you fired them would decelerate you back to your cruising speed - wtf? Except by hitting the slide button you could continue on at that great rate of speed. Huzzah for internal inconsistencies resulting in exploits!)

That said - Yes, I would love a game where the thrust is mapped to six buttons (Forward/Reverse/Left/Right/Up/Down) that would allow me far more movement options.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

a_heavy_object

Postby a_heavy_object » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

this may or may not be original dawn of war meets starwars battlefront complete with army upgrades doing well in battle will result in more points you can spend on your army the more you spend on one field of army (infantry, armor,aircraft,base defense,starcraft)the more upgrades you lose for other aspects of your army i forgot to mention its also set in the far future where mankind has to deal with a rebellion and alien onslaught , there are 2 human forces

the sustained T.E.G.terran empire guard
who overall strategy is fast unit transport with towers that link to each othe via teleporter and are almost instant travel depending on units and are basically no extreme stregths no gapping weaknesses

the spec ops task force delta
whos main idea is hit them hard and make sure they don't know it their strengths include powerful artillery long ranged combat infantry with special abillities. but when constrained to close combat and base defence fail miseriably

and 2 alien forces
the speedy rebellion
great speed fighters the higher tier they get their armor increase the speed that their troops run , troops unfortantelly they have short range weapons,their armor does not focus on thier armor's strength instead speed (go figure)

the iron curtain frevsin
strong base defence STRONG infantry combatants average infantry are melee but are incredibly resiliant with wip like weapons and all their defence wall have mounted weapons (ai) that are extemely powerful

story
humans that trying to expand their empire the aliens have lost their land and aren't so happy the remaining army has rallied to retake their planets all their army who was inprisoned have started a rebellion amongst the local populas
both side believes that they are in the right
no return
no surrender
no winners

humans call unjust for the aliens agressed first instead of consulting
new PETA ban record 8 minutes 23 seconds
art is a way to express anger
Raphael's hair is god tier

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Did you ever play Tachyon: The Fringe?

I ask because that game had .. I think they called it a "slide" button. Basically, it'd kill your propulsion engine and allow you to freely spin while continuing the path you were traveling before you hit the button at the same speed. Allowing you to accelerate, hit the button, then spin towards capital ships, raking them with fire while sliding past them at a high rate of speed.

It had some issues that need addressing before it's a more realistic game (things like you having afterburners that, right after you fired them would decelerate you back to your cruising speed - wtf? Except by hitting the slide button you could continue on at that great rate of speed. Huzzah for internal inconsistencies resulting in exploits!)

That said - Yes, I would love a game where the thrust is mapped to six buttons (Forward/Reverse/Left/Right/Up/Down) that would allow me far more movement options.

I played the demo, I believe. At least I think it was the demo, because all I remember is doing a seemingly infinite number of progressively harder flight maneuvers courses which consisted of rings you had to fly through.
Seriously, I don't know if my memory is playing tricks on me, but I swear I went through about 2 dozen of them and by that stage I was going through 3 minute long guantlets of rings spinning everywhere.
I remember the slide stuff being taught but I never bought the game. I was hanging out for Freelancer, but that turned out to be... disappointing.

yohanleafheart

Postby yohanleafheart » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

Using the PS3 for sheer amount of parallel process power I would like to see an installment of the Dinasty Warriors franchise with a crossover with the Total War series.

Using maybe the six axis or voice command to order your block of units , while you control your own hero.

In a PvP environment.
"When you gotta do something wrong, you gotta do it right." - Fighter - 8-bit Theatre
"Life is a bitch. But it is my bitch." - Slick - Sinfest

Indon

Postby Indon » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

Okay, different, more specific idea this time, then.

Imagine an MMO in which you're from a developed, magically powerful culture and discover another world. This world is rich in a pure form of magic which promises immeasurable wealth and power when harvested. Problem is, all of it is sentient, and it hates you, wants to destroy you, then it wants to plow through the gates you have opened to destroy your world.

Gameplay-wise, it would be a normal, non-PvP MMO with the single twist that all mobs are controlled by a single, massive AI which is constantly learning, operating under certain restrictions to try and aggressively destroy the players, and everything the players have built down to the final newbie town.
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

Anyone see the kinda awful but brilliant in parts movie Cypher?
That gave me these ideas:

I was thinking this kind of corporate espionage game, set in a slightly futuristic city and there would be 3 large corporations, any of which the player could join. However, the idea is that the player would be a double, even triple agent and join another corporation with sabotage or idea theft in mind. Hence each company would do a pretty thorough screening test process to make sure the player wasn't already part of another company. Im thinking lots of deep psychological situations and sequences of dialog designed to trap the player and make you make some mistakes in order to reveal yourself. But once you pass that, you're in.

There would be a large security system in the building, and so getting in special equipment into the different corporations would be challenging in of itself. Metal detectors everywhere would require some abstract thinking.

Game would see you climbing the corporate ladder of one or more of these companies and evading NPCs that suspect you of being a double agent. I.e. it could be hard to persue a romantic interest without being very careful.

Finally, the 3 company structure would be revealed to only be a front, a cover for something deeper and more sinister going on. The player would eventually discover this and have to make some pretty hard choices later on.

While this game would most likely be a first person perspective, there wouldn't really be any shooting elements until nearer the end, when things go to hell and you could get trapped in a building on high security alert for you.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:21 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:This is going to sound bad, but, what's Loom?

Loom was a game for the PC in the early 90s by Lucas Arts. It was mainly a light-hearted adventure game. It stands out as unique because throughout the entire game, it's only possible to pick up one item: a staff right at the beginning. The staff allowed you to cast spells by playing music; the spells were simple like "open" or "turn straw into gold" (or you could play them backwards and cast "close" and "turn gold into straw").

If that doesn't make sense, here's the Wikipedia article and a YouTube video (part 2 because part 1 is pretty slow *spoiler alert*)

For the Wii, it'd be awesome to use the Wiimote to spin the drafts and it'd be great to see the story completed

P.S. the weaver in the grey robe has just turned 16 - I think his 30 year old voice is hillarious too :P
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:05 am UTC

Hi there, this is a bit different, and completely nerdy, but here it goes:

Our band director has a habit of getting in our way on the marching band field, and my friends and I were talking about how we really should be knocking him over, but we always move to avoid him. Somehow we got from that to a discussion about video games, and we decided that there should be a marching band video game for the Wii. We couldn't figure out how it would work in a show setting (making pictures on the field, then marching to make the next), but a parade would definitely work. You would use the Wiimote as your instrument, then you have to hold it in whatever position your instrument requires (whether it was up or down at that point in the song). You could use the buttons to "play" your instrument, via a DDR-style thing scrolling across the top of the screen. Then you could use that mat thing to march in place throughout the song.

We all agreed that we needed a bunch of distractions, and things getting in your way during the marching. So maybe if you were doing badly (missing notes, not holding the Wiimote correctly, or being on the wrong foot) then you wouldn't be able to plow through the things that got in your way.

Everyone we talked to about it said it would be fun, which begs the question of why marching band is work, but marching band in video game form is fun.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

Ooo, funnily I've had little concepts of games in my mind for a long time, but don't have the means to execute them. However, recently a very good flash game called The Codex of Alchemical Engineering made me VERY inspired, because I thought nobody would want to make a game like that, which is similar to the kind of games I'd like to make. The same guy who made that game made another one called Manufactoid, and that's a VERY simplistic execution of what I had in mind.

Spoiler:
Basically what you need to come up with is an assembly line, consisting of mechanical parts and programmable components. Manufactoid uses a programming language to control the sensors, pushers and other components of the machine. I thought of a different approach, in which every component is individually programmable, and the workings of the machine are based on communication between then. This allows the player to think in terms of cooperation between components, how they act together, how they react to each other and so on. The components, however, would have to be extremely varied, and the kind sof assembly lines would be the weirdest, wackiest and most creative imaginable - not just gluing blocks together.

Another interesting aspect is that the machine would have to be able to react to hazards and unforeseen events. Resources could be in short supply, or there could be malfunctions on elements beyond the player's control, and the assembly line has to handle that without causing further damage and losses. Several elements of difficulty could be added gradually into the game, or chosen by the player, to give diversity to the gameplay. And of course, there'd have to be MANY different, exciting ways to solve a single problem. Nothing more frustrating tham sim games in which there is ONE way you're expected to do things, and ONE way ONLY! Bleh. The Codex of Alchemical Engineering fulfils a lot of ideas I wanted to see in games, and I basically wanted to explode it into something more complex and varied. And FUN. I don't wanna play as if I was working.

Spoiler:
Another idea, similar but fundamentally different, also involved the creation of machines, but in a more The Incredible Machine fashion. The player would have to transport little objects from the "releasers" to the "catchers", in different opposites of the screen, but having to deal with all sorts of hazards, releasers that work in unpredictable ways, objects that destroy machinery or jam the delivery lines, objects that can be treated to increase their value, and so on. This forces the player to know all aspects of the environment, use sensors and equipment to deal with unavoidable situations, and aim for efficiency. Since the focus is not on constructing things but on controlling them, I think programming would overcomplicate things, but communication would still be important. The idea was to handle the objects physically, and having to deal with extremely frail ones and with heavy and dangerous ones at the same time. The player would be given credits to make the rooms work correctly, and would deal with research to come up with new ways to solve old problems, thus revisiting old solutions to make them better.

Oh, and on a more militaristic tone:

Spoiler:
An X-COM inspired game with the four elements as the forces in conflict. As cliché as the elements are as a concept, I don't remember seeing them explored in that way, putting them one against each other. And I think an expansive, strategic gameplay with focus on construction, management, research, use of resources would be great, and with a system of battle with heavy uses of physics could complement it nicely. I find it awesome because the four elements would require DRASTICALLY different approaches -- not just in choosing this unit instead of that one, but in planning attack and defense in completely different ways -- and ALSO having to deal with three completely different foes. One refreshing option is that the game doesn't need to be the four elements all out against each other -- they could be grouped in alliances, also maybe have to fight humanity as well. This could mean, for example, water and fire battling air and earth, with all four against humans, or better yet: ALL four against humans. What better way to destroy Earth than with devious trickery with the elements? Earth setting off vulcans, fire breaking out with wind helping to spread it? Sounds very enticing to me. It looks to me like a VERY vast territory to be explored. To be honest, I won't be surprised if someone points me that idea has already been done, but it would be great to put it to epic proportions. At least it looks different enough from the oh-so-beaten-down WWII, Fantasy and Alien themes.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:39 am UTC

You know, I just realized how many JRPGs have bizarre, winding plots devised by the villain to take over the world, like something that Pinky and the Brain would have thought of, and it's always up to you, and ONLY you, to stop them. I.E., your party is powerful enough to defeat someone who (in some stories) could single-handedly take over the world, yet you're powerless to exert your will on the environment.

They need to make an RPG in which you character is actually the villain, and your goal is to carry out some plot or other to take over the world, and/or gain sufficient godlike power to be able to crush empires beneath your booted heel.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel
Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:59 am UTC

First person shooter/role playing game hybrid. Non-linear sandbox. Highly interactive environment. You can kill anyone with anything you can find (as in, you can break a fence and stab people with a fence post). You have a bag that you can put stuff in, you also have pockets. On your inventory screen; you can put anything small into your pockets, leave it in your bag or hold it. (When you stop holding it, you can either drop it or put it on the ground). For some weapons, you can have holsters/scabbards if you find them. If it looks like a weapon, you can use it as a weapon (you find a screw driver, you can stab people with it. You find a chair, you can smash people with it. Ect). You have three metres. A health metre with gauges the damage done to you, when it reaches its limit, you die. A Pain metre which gauges how much pain you are in, once you reach the limit, you go unconscious (Depending on where you are, you could be killed after you go unconscious, you could get all your stuff stolen, you could just stay there untill you wake up or you could be moved into a bed and people give you food when you wake up). And a stamina metre which gauges how much energy you have for running, swimming, ect. You can get other clothing, but it doesn't really matter because your original clothing is pretty generic and no one really notices it. Also, you can get stuff like bullet proof vests and night vision goggles and cool stuff like that.

It is set in the near future. Oil reserves are pretty much gone. There is still some, but not enough for most people to afford. Planes are no longer used because of the fuel cost. Most cars are sitting in garages, out of fuel or are burnt wrecks on the side of roads. The world is in chaos. Political uncertainty.

I would spoiler this next section, but I had to use the spoiler to spoiler something more important than the tutorial plot:
You start off in a prison cell. You are beaten up. There was a riot. (Depending on what you choose when you start the game, you can either be a prison guard or a convict. Further choice depends on which level of guard you are or what you were convicted of. There will be a quiz like the one in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines which decides what you become). You don't have anything accept the clothing you are wearing. You can't remember a thing. The prison teaches you all the basics. At the end of the first hallway, you find a dead convict. Computer prompts you on how to search dead bodies and you find a shiv on him (Along with a duffel bag, wallet, other beginner things). Soon after you fight a convict to teach you how to fight. There is a guard in a guard area, along with two prisoners who are unconscious, one who is conscious. He has a riot-batten. You can beat him up and take it, you can kill him and take it. You can save the prisoners (which give you some infomation on the riot) or kill the prisoners (and get another shiv, now you can duel wield shivs). Your choices all have benefits and consequences. You also have a morality metre (on your character screen) which does nothing more than remind you of what you have been like through the game. After this little bit, you find a medical station thingie. It teaches you about the pain and health metres. Headache/painkiller pills fix pain, bandages and some other things fix health. After a battle with several inmates, to teach you about fighting multiple foes, you make it through the main gates and into the *real* world. (Somewhere I need to add something in on how to use ranged weapons. Maybe have a gun locker which you have to open, the gun inside and a guard with a gun down the other end of the hallway). This is where the tutorial ends and the game starts. You are on a large island that has a large city in it (Along with some small towns and country side area's, beaches, shacks/huts in the bush, forest area's, ect). The escaped convicts are wreaking havoc. You can stop them, join them, kill them and do it all yourself, kill all the citizens, mess with everything, become a cop, join one of several gangs, be a cowboy type person, ect. There would be multiple endings.
Spoiler:
One being the government carpet bombs the island, another being you becoming the mayor, another being you become the sheriff, another being you become a leader of one of the gangs, ect.

I think there was more. Also, how I described it may be confusing as I don't always make complete sense. If anyone thinks that they can make this better, then please tell me how. I appreciate any constructive criticism towards it, because then I can make it better.

Note: I have read the topic bit, but none of the replies.

Return to “Gaming”