Dungeon Keeper 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Spuddly

Dungeon Keeper 2

Postby Spuddly » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 am UTC

Anyone ever play this?
It's pretty fun, though extremely buggy.

It's an RTS where you attract creatures to your dungeon and they kill heros for you. You train your monsters, have them research spells, build traps, etc. There's not much micro to speak of- your creatures find the way into the dungeon on their own, based on what sort of dungeon rooms you build. They wander around, each having their own set pattern of behavior, though you can pick them up and drop them anywhere in your territory. That way, you can quickly move creatures in and out of combat.

The major problem is the extreme instability of the game. It crashes very, very frequently, and you have to save like every 2 minutes or else risk losing your progress.

It has a campaign, which is fairly enjoyable, a skirmish mode, a sandbox-ish mode, and multiplayer. Never done multiplayer, but due to the instability, you'd never get to play for more than 5 minutes anyway.
Give me your eyes;
I need sunshine.

InstinctSage

Re: Dungeon Keeper 2

Postby InstinctSage » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:51 am UTC

I never played DK2, but I was a big fan of the original. Even just mining out all that gold was addictive. I'd clean out the entire map long after I'd killed everyone. Designing the rooms and dungeons was also heaps of fun.

But if I recall it got a bit tired later on, due to the time it took to properly train up some of the better monsters. And possibly also the fact that there were a few who truly kicked ass over everything else.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 am UTC

Tis a great game. Some days I think I prefer the original, for some of the little things and added complexity (throwing a warlock in the torture chamber to make the others work faster, f'rinstance, as well as the extra rooms / monsters) but DK2 has style. I love the way it looks, the art design. The uneven walls and all that. The narration was fun 'You have an abundance of Mistresses in you Dungeon. There is a word for Keepers like you" as were the little things - all the critters dancing to Disco Inferno when the jackpot goes off.

I enjoyed the campaign, and I think I played through my pet dungeon when I first bought the game but the sandbox things bored me. Too generic.
Spuddly wrote:The major problem is the extreme instability of the game. It crashes very, very frequently, and you have to save like every 2 minutes or else risk losing your progress.
I replayed DK2 a couple of weeks ago, and that's the first time I had serious crashing issues. I remember installing it on some computers in school and playing multiplayer. Not much fun, though, seeing as I was the only one who knew how to play - everyone else went straight back to Grand Theft Auto pretty quick.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

kha-khees

Postby kha-khees » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:27 am UTC

Yes, DK2 is an addictive game indeed. :D
Try out evil genius for a more modern version, but it has a fair few differences. But the art direction in EG is superb, truly awesome.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

When I could still play it(My current computer has a Video Card with SM 4.1 which is incompatible with DK2. I get a nice black screen instead of the menu), I had severe problems with instability too on XP.

But I found this helped quite alot. That compatibility tool really stopped alot of crashes.
http://www.ntcompatible.com/How_to_inst ... 30079.html

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

I loved DK. I enjoyed DK2 but not as much. EG is a fantastic game but also buggy as hell.

It's good to be bad :)

I wish they'd make another dungeon keeper though. Or another evil genius...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Spuddly

Postby Spuddly » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

I never played the original DK. Was it pretty much the same thing?
Give me your eyes;
I need sunshine.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

DK1 did some things better than DK2, but DK2 also did some things better than DK1.

One big difference is that enemy walls are completely unbreakable by your imps in DK1 unless you use a spell. Your walls are also impervious to enemies tunneling into them.

There were also several different creatures(I miss the dragons/hellhounds/lostsouls), and horny was actually recruitable(He still tended to get angry and start fighting alot if there was nothing to do). Oh and there was a neat room called the Scavenger Room which let you recruit enemy creatures of whatever type you put in it. I'd usually steal all of my enemies dragons and bile demons. Vampires too if I had em.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

You could also train all the way to level 10 in the first one, if I'm remembering correctly.

There was also a sacrificial room that would allow you to sacrifice combinations of creatures to (hopefully) create a stronger creature. A troll, mistress, and bile demon would net a Horned Demon, for example.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:11 am UTC

The scavenger room was fun, but ultimately a game breaker, pretty much because with patience you could steal all your enemy's units.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:33 am UTC

DK and DK2 were some of my favorite games. I almost wrote a letter to the developers with suggestions on how to improve it. (didn't do it cause I'm lazy). The game has huge potential, and laying out a dungeon full of traps is always fun. I'm going to probably get EG now because of this thread.

I tried DK2 multiplayer online once, I got totally steamrolled. I was training up guys as fast as I could, but my opponents knew a bunch of tricks for sacrificing at the temple. And I think they used the combat pit to train guys super fast. A game like DK made by blizzard would be the sexiest game in the world. People would have mind blowing orgasms while playing it.

Speaking of which, the sound the mistress' made while in the torture chamber made me turn the sound low out of embarrassment.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Just rebought it the day before yesterday. I've never had crashing problems, though?

And you can sacrifice creatures in DK2 for a reward, in the Dark Temple.

I just wish it were moddable, so new creatures and rooms could be added :S

And I die a little inside each time I remember they canceled DK3.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

Games in this genre:
Dungeon keeper 1-2
Evil genious
Dwarf Fortress (kind of)
Majesty
more?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

If you mean in the "Give your units generic orders and hope to crap they figure it out on their own because you can't click on a guy and say 'Go Here and Do This'" genre...

Settlers / Serf City

Arguably the one that started it.

Which.. if you can believe it... is more complicated than Dwarf Fortress when it comes to item production.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

A shame the most recent settlers game is a rather terrible RTS clone with no relationship to the original at all.

Edit: aparently rise of an empire is closer to the original than heretage of kings. And is more recent.

Spuddly

Postby Spuddly » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

I played a bunch of Majesty last night, and was extremely frustrated about all the lost gold spent on getting frail units who die in one hit. I really like the ability to pick your dudes up and whisk them to safety if they're making a poor tactical decision.
Give me your eyes;
I need sunshine.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

If you're looking for more evil themed games, you could try overlord.
It's evil pikmin. It's actually a lot of fun too.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:04 am UTC

I played Dungeon Keeper II all the way to the end two years ago and enjoyed it thoroughly and immensely. Wonderful game, stylish, intelligent and fun.

I also think it was a major improvement on the first one -- I dunno why, but as the first one progressed further, there were more and more things in it that didn't seem to make much sense and kind of spoiled it overall. The sequel had a much nicer, cleaner finish, and was just immensely enjoyable.

Shame they're probably never getting to make the third one. I'd appreciate that.

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

InstinctSage wrote:The scavenger room was fun, but ultimately a game breaker, pretty much because with patience you could steal all your enemy's units.

You can still do that in the torture chamber. Just make sure that you cast a heal spell on the victim a bit now and then to keep them alive. If they die before being converted they "divulge map information in your torture chamber".
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

The game isn't THAT unstable. At least, it wasn't when it first came out. On the other hand, I know my brother was having trouble running it in XP, while win 98 worked fine
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

Coin wrote:
InstinctSage wrote:The scavenger room was fun, but ultimately a game breaker, pretty much because with patience you could steal all your enemy's units.

You can still do that in the torture chamber. Just make sure that you cast a heal spell on the victim a bit now and then to keep them alive. If they die before being converted they "divulge map information in your torture chamber".

DK1 had a torture room too, but what he was getting at is, with the scavenger room, all you need is one friendly unit of that type and your enemies monsters suddenly leave their dungeon and come to yours. It was a huge advantage since you never had to leave the safety of your own dungeon.

One other tactic I had forgotten about was using sight of evil on the enemy dungeon and then using lightning like crazy until all the enemy units died.(You could cast spells in the sights range) Also spells cost gold not mana, and had different charge levels(which costed more) depending on how long you held the click.

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

Ah, I see. I have to admit that I have as of yet never played the original; only DK2. That does sound a bit too good. Major gains without risk makes for an over-powered feature.

I think one of the best features of the game is the sound. I don't know the name of the speaker voice but he is absolutley brilliant and has defined the steriotypical Demon-voice for me.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

Oooh, Dungeon Keeper 2 was cool. Never played Dungeon Keeper 1, although I would have liked to try it.

I have to agree with Coin about the voice - no idea who it was, but brilliant casting.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:46 pm UTC

Mmmm, Pi wrote:Oooh, Dungeon Keeper 2 was cool. Never played Dungeon Keeper 1, although I would have liked to try it.

I have to agree with Coin about the voice - no idea who it was, but brilliant casting.

Wikipedia says Richard Ridings. Whoever he is. (he was also apparently in Quake III)

Coin

Postby Coin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:11 am UTC

If I had the means to do so I'd hire him to follow me around and make comments on my actions during the day.
It would probably become annoying after a while but it would be great at first!

kha-khees

Postby kha-khees » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:53 am UTC

Coin wrote:If I had the means to do so I'd hire him to follow me around and make comments on my actions during the day.
It would probably become annoying after a while but it would be great at first!

Hmmm, but if we all pooled together and each had him on a roster basis we probably wouldn't find it annoying or get bored of it.... :P

I only wish EG had a possess mechanic. Sometimes I just wish I could go FPS with a guard or merc and mow down agents with an assault rifle.

Spuddly

Postby Spuddly » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:29 am UTC

It wasn't just the voice, but the scripting. I swear he speaks in pentameter or something.

[edit]
Actually, I think he just rhymes.
Give me your eyes;
I need sunshine.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

I ordered what I think it one of the two last copies on the internet about a week ago. I really hope it comes in today or tomorrow. The posts here make the game sound really fun.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:33 am UTC

The game was awesome until about half way through where it would start crashing every 5 minutes :(. I searched around for vista fixes but nothing seemed to work. I'm very sad since it was so fun.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

Deblin, try using a virtual machine of windows 98. That should solve a lot of backwards compatability problems. And most machines that can run vista have enough left over processing power to still run a game on an emulated machine.

Return to “Gaming”