Magic : The Gathering : The Thread : The Rename

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Token

Re: magic cards dumped; general magic discussion ensues

Postby Token » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

Yep. It will be in your hand for the very brief period of time until a player would next receive priority, then it will cease to exist as a state-based action.
MTG Comprehensive Rules wrote:704. State-Based Actions
704.5d
If a token is phased out, or is in a zone other than the battlefield, it ceases to exist.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

My local card shop's owner seems to be overcharging a bit. So far he's offered: $4 for me to buy Empyrian Archangel, $5.50 for Kalitas, and $2 for a Rhox War Monk.
I have nothing to judge against, since that's the only card shop in three counties...
500%!

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

Klapaucius wrote:My local card shop's owner seems to be overcharging a bit. So far he's offered: $4 for me to buy Empyrian Archangel, $5.50 for Kalitas, and $2 for a Rhox War Monk.
I have nothing to judge against, since that's the only card shop in three counties...
your best bet is to compare the price to online prices, with other stores like Starcitygames.com
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:40 pm UTC

Bulvox wrote:
Klapaucius wrote:My local card shop's owner seems to be overcharging a bit. So far he's offered: $4 for me to buy Empyrian Archangel, $5.50 for Kalitas, and $2 for a Rhox War Monk.
your best bet is to compare the price to online prices, with other stores like Starcitygames.com
I do, and he generally asks for between two and five times the normal online price. I just don't say anything because I think saying "Hey, I can get that online for fifteen cents" might be a little dickish.
500%!

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

Klapaucius wrote:
Bulvox wrote:
I do, and he generally asks for between two and five times the normal online price. I just don't say anything because I think saying "Hey, I can get that online for fifteen cents" might be a little dickish.
heh, my FLGS sells most commons at the price of $.25, but you get a deal the more commons you buy. The only time they cost more is when they're chase commons like Lightning Bolt.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:41 am UTC

buy online, find out if it's worth it, then tell him.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

Is it wrong that I have so much fun with the Traumatize + Haunting Echoes combo? I built a deck around that, Glimpse the Unthinkable, and Nemesis of reason.

The only problem is that it takes about five turns to get going.

:|

Also I have not really looked at Zendikar at all. I really should, but I am so lazy! So very lazy.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:54 am UTC

It is not wrong. If I had more of both I would have just as much fun.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Just got back from my second draft ever, and I've won both! :D

This one was Shards, Reborn, M10, and Zendikar, a pack of each. We only had 3 people show up, but we decided we might as well do the draft anyway. My first pick was a Filigree Angel; it probably wasn't my favorite card in the pack, but I had a friend who really wanted it so I used it as my ticket to get a ride home. Incidentally, my color choices ended up being W/U/G, with some splashes of artifacts. I've never played tri-color before, so I was a bit worried, but the first time I played dual-color was the last draft, so I decided to just go with it. The deck did pretty well, but if there had been more people I bet I would've placed lower; my opponents were fairly mana-screwed in 2 of my 3 wins.

A cool combo I walked away with was Thopter Foundry + Sigil Captain. Or Cobra Trap + Sigil Captain; getting 4 3/3s for 4GG is nice, but 4 3/3s for G is just too cool. I also ended up with Ajani Goldmane, my first Planeswalker, and he's pretty awesome.

All-in-all, I'm a big fan of drafting now. Walking away with at least 4 boosters and a new deck idea for $17.50 (admittedly higher than most other drafts, but it'd cost me at least the $7.50 just for the gas to drive to go play with people I don't know and only get to draft 3 boosters) is a pretty okay deal.

esmooths

Postby esmooths » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

Bumping an old topic for a question...

I played Magic a long time ago (4th ed./Ice Age/Alliances time) and liked it back then. Unfortunately I no longer have the cards. I've been toying around with the old computer game that went up to about the same time, but otherwise I've been out of the game for that long. I'm interested in possibly picking it back up, and wondering what's the best way to go about it, in terms of acquiring cards.

I'm in Cambridge, so finding a group that plays locally would be great. I'd prefer the physical game over the online game, but I haven't ruled it out completely, as I don't know anyone locally at the moment interested in the game and it's kind of pointless to have cards and no one to play.

I'm not looking for tournament play or anything like that (for now), just to casually get back into it.

From what I read, it looks like the decks they offer for M10 are premade and single color. Are these worth picking up? Or is there a better way to start rebuilding a collection?
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

Best way to play physical magic: Prereleases. they're not really tournaments. I mean, they are, but it's where lots of new people playing there. People who don't normally play in tournaments go to prereleases.

Magic online isn't horrible. I enjoy it from time to time. It's fun to be able to play at anytime. But, it's not as social.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

Not to necro this thread but I wanted a topic specific rant. Grah! Magic - the Planewalkers thing on Xbox 360. It was fun and got me back into the game a bit(not neccessarily a good thing). But I recently found out they had released an expansion/whatever with more decks and such in the game. I feel like there was a bait and switch though. In the original, the final guy has this awesome blue black artifact deck that kicks ass. In the summary for the expansion they said you got to play with his awesome deck.

That's partly true. They took that awesome deck, stripped out decent cards, and put in absolute shit. Who the fuck plays ornithopters or fountains of youth? And do you really need 4 howling mines? Seriously, get rid of the shit cards and it could be a sweet deck. Instead, they gimped it horribly.

They also built a mill deck you can play. The problem is it is a shitty mill deck, and mill decks are hard to win with as it is. Add in the fact some opponents have 70+ cards, and you have big issues.

In short, the designers made shitty decks, and you cannot customize them enough to make up for it.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:26 am UTC

Ornithopter is amazing...in the right deck. (Hint: affinity.)
Howling Mine is also amazing...but not in the same deck as Ornithopter.
That's why I found no real reason to even bother with Duels of the Planeswalkers. Precon decks? Please.
Spoiler:

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri May 21, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

I am even more frustrated with the game now. They added a second expansion with some new decks. The last deck, as far as I can tell, is unbeatable with the prebuilts they give you. It is a vampire deck and completely over powered. There are only 3 cards in it - vampires, removal, and raise dead. Most of the vampires come out on 1-2, so they can have 4+ out by turn 4. Add in the ridiculously overpowered nighthawk with deathtouch, plus all the removal, and you are hosed.

Other decks can't do anything against it. You can't win with creatures, because your creatures last a turn or two before being removed. You can't win with spells, because you get owned way too soon to play enough. You need a shroud/regen deck or something to beat it, but obviously can't do anything with that.

About the only way I see to win would be if they have only 1 mana. Too much of their stuff comes out on 1-2 for even a severe mana screw to win it for you.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri May 21, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I am even more frustrated with the game now. They added a second expansion with some new decks. The last deck, as far as I can tell, is unbeatable with the prebuilts they give you. It is a vampire deck and completely over powered. There are only 3 cards in it - vampires, removal, and raise dead. Most of the vampires come out on 1-2, so they can have 4+ out by turn 4. Add in the ridiculously overpowered nighthawk with deathtouch, plus all the removal, and you are hosed.

Other decks can't do anything against it. You can't win with creatures, because your creatures last a turn or two before being removed. You can't win with spells, because you get owned way too soon to play enough. You need a shroud/regen deck or something to beat it, but obviously can't do anything with that.

About the only way I see to win would be if they have only 1 mana. Too much of their stuff comes out on 1-2 for even a severe mana screw to win it for you.

:-/ I severely doubt it's unbeatable. Decklist?
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri May 21, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

Agreed with not likely to be unbeatable.

are you talking about the Worldwake intro packs?

If so, this is the decklist from the website.

2 Piranha Marsh
16 Swamp
18 lands

1 Anowon, the Ruin Sage
1 Bloodhusk Ritualist
1 Butcher of Malakir
2 Child of Night
1 Jagwasp Swarm
2 Pulse Tracker
2 Ruthless Cullblade
1 Vampire Aristocrat
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Zombie Goliath

1 Brink of Disaster
1 Consume Spirit
1 Dead Reckoning
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Feast of Blood
1 Hideous End
2 Mire's Toll
1 Rise from the Grave
1 Urge to Feed

that's not unbeatable.

I will say that Vampires are a very good deck, and monoblack vamps have been brought to tournaments. But they're not even close to tier 1 in standard.

If you're having problems with monoblack deck, then deal with it in ways they can't. Enchantments are a good start, as black generally sucks at enchantments. you could go blue for counters and bounce. Green has shroud, better shroud and regenerators, not to mention ass loads of acceleration to get you bigger faster. Even red can go even more balls to the wall and out race them.

So yeah. Not unbeatable.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri May 21, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

Sorry, I am talking about the Xbox360 Duel of the Planeswalkers. You're given prebuilt decks, and there is limited customization. The deck is, as far as I can tell, unbeatable.

I would make a decklist, but I'm at work.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri May 21, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

I've always enjoyed an old school necropotence deck a buddy of mine built, and I since duplicated. It was a hoss, and could hang with most decks people were running at the time. It was far from tournament legal, utilizing two demonic tutors, 3 ivory towers, 3 sinkholes and 2 mind twists, but man was it fun to play.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sat May 22, 2010 3:12 am UTC

Is it just my perception - not having played since the beginning of Mirage - or has the game become more quickly paced? I saw that someone earlier was complaining about their combo taking 5 turns to start, which just baffles me as I remember long, 20+ turn slugfests back when I played. Granted, that might just have been my group's style and the game was just as fast to end then, but that's what I enjoyed about it.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat May 22, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:Is it just my perception - not having played since the beginning of Mirage - or has the game become more quickly paced? I saw that someone earlier was complaining about their combo taking 5 turns to start, which just baffles me as I remember long, 20+ turn slugfests back when I played. Granted, that might just have been my group's style and the game was just as fast to end then, but that's what I enjoyed about it.

it's not just your playgroup. I read somewhere on the Magic site that most games nowadays are pretty much over by turn 8, and the Zendikar set was insanely fast. The most fun I've had playing this game is when the games stretched on for a long time because it meant that both players were getting a chance to play their best cards.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Sat May 22, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

*Note: the following post is by someone who is by no means an expert at magic*

Yes, the game is a lot faster than it used to be, with many (type 2, tournament-standard) games being decided by turn 4-5. You can, however, still play control/combo by trying to run your opponent out of steam, then getting your combo off. Additionally, Wizards has responded to criticism about the speed, and has started to slow down the pace of the games, but it's not like they can make such a huge change all at once. The most recent expansion is indicative of this: they made auras and defenders viable, and introduced huge high-mana finisher creatures for people to aim for. Admittedly, with all the spawn generation it's not a whole lot faster (I've seen a friend fairly-regularly get Kozilek, Butcher of Truth out on turn 5, and it's not even an amazingly fantastic deck).

However, and I must admit this is my own personal opinion here, all of the above only counts for shit if you're playing in big tournaments or with hyper-competitive friends. And then of course there's other formats; EDH games take way longer than 5 turns, in the only large (7 player) game I've been able to play it took me about 3 hours to lose, and the winner wasn't determined for 2 more hours. And this was with people throwing about huge "finisher" cards such as Traumatize and Time Walk. And fucking Wrexial of the fucking Deep.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon May 24, 2010 12:58 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Sorry, I am talking about the Xbox360 Duel of the Planeswalkers. You're given prebuilt decks, and there is limited customization. The deck is, as far as I can tell, unbeatable.

...Oh. Yeah, I don't play Duels at all, no idea...
31/M/taken/US

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat May 29, 2010 9:07 pm UTC

I'll add a gripe about Vampire Nighthawk: say it with me, "Flying, Deathtouch, Lifelink".
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat May 29, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

What's the gripe about it?
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat May 29, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:What's the gripe about it?

Mega-super-hyper overpowered. A 2/3 with flying, deathtouch, and lifelink out on 3? That's insane. It should be out on 5 at minimum compared to other sets.

I guess it is a sign of how things have changed. There really is an inflation of the power of the cards - mainly creatures. They've cut back on power spells(Lightning bolt vs. Shock), but the creatures keep getting bigger and meaner and out faster.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Sat May 29, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

Yeah, I know what you mean. I mean, it really sucks now that Tarmogoyf is out now, what a new and overpowered creature that is! And don't even get me started on Boggart Ram-Gang, a 3/3 Haste Wither for 3? Madness!
:roll:
Some powerful cards will always, and have always been printed. Sure, Nighthawk is pretty powerful, but so are plenty of other cards. Picking out one example of a creature and saying "Oh, how times have changed!" makes no sense.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun May 30, 2010 1:47 am UTC

emceng wrote:

Mega-super-hyper overpowered. A 2/3 with flying, deathtouch, and lifelink out on 3? That's insane. It should be out on 5 at minimum compared to other sets.

Vampire Nighthawk is a 2/1. Use Flying Men.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:59 am UTC

Kag wrote:
emceng wrote:

Vampire Nighthawk is a 2/1. Use Flying Men.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=185707
Vampire Nighthawk is a 2/3. Which is why it's so hard to put down.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun May 30, 2010 5:28 am UTC

Weird. Apparently it was originally previewed as a 2/1, or just with a really blurry image that appears very convincingly to be 2/1. My bad.

Anyway, cool guys play Thunder Spirit.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Sun May 30, 2010 8:53 am UTC

Nighthawk isn't that great, to be honest. Not in today's T2 anyway. It's a solid card, but it's a little bit of everything and not enough of anything. It can race, but aggro decks now are so fast that a 4-point swing/turn isn't even relevant. It's good for defense but most aggro decks carry either Lightning Bolt or so much advantage that trading a creature for the Nighthawk, isn't a big deal. Also Bloodbraid Elf. Also Vengevine.
Spoiler:

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sun May 30, 2010 12:20 pm UTC

emceng wrote:

I guess it is a sign of how things have changed. There really is an inflation of the power of the cards - mainly creatures. They've cut back on power spells(Lightning bolt vs. Shock), but the creatures keep getting bigger and meaner and out faster.

you do know that they reprinted lighning bolt, right? I'm holding back judgement until I see what stuff gets printed in M11 this July to see what the power level instants/sorceries are given, but I'm pretty sure that they're just upping power level in general.

regarding game speed, Rise of Eldrazi limited is still pretty fast. Most games i've been playing recently have been too fast for the actual eldrazi spells to be at all viable, and the defenders in the set are still pretty useless.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:42 am UTC

Fin Archangel wrote:Nighthawk isn't that great, to be honest. Not in today's T2 anyway. It's a solid card, but it's a little bit of everything and not enough of anything. It can race, but aggro decks now are so fast that a 4-point swing/turn isn't even relevant. It's good for defense but most aggro decks carry either Lightning Bolt or so much advantage that trading a creature for the Nighthawk, isn't a big deal. Also Bloodbraid Elf. Also Vengevine.
It doesn't go in R/B Aggro decks. It goes in Mono-B Vampire decks. 4 of, no matter what.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:53 am UTC

It's true, I've got one. (Deck, that is. Four of the Nighthawks.)

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:47 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Fin Archangel wrote:Nighthawk isn't that great, to be honest. Not in today's T2 anyway. It's a solid card, but it's a little bit of everything and not enough of anything. It can race, but aggro decks now are so fast that a 4-point swing/turn isn't even relevant. It's good for defense but most aggro decks carry either Lightning Bolt or so much advantage that trading a creature for the Nighthawk, isn't a big deal. Also Bloodbraid Elf. Also Vengevine.
It doesn't go in R/B Aggro decks. It goes in Mono-B Vampire decks. 4 of, no matter what.

I know? And Vampires isn't that great of a deck either.

EDIT: to clarify I meant that I'm not really sure what you were talking about. When did I say anything about the deck it goes in?
Spoiler:

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

I'm totally in love with the spreading seas deck.

Of course, I can't really play it as Ajani and Jace are like a billion dollars each, but still. I really enjoy it.
I have a "budget" version on MTGO which I enjoy playing from time to time still.

But yes. Try spreading seas against your problematic vamps, and see how things go.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I'm totally in love with the spreading seas deck.

Of course, I can't really play it as Ajani and Jace are like a billion dollars each, but still. I really enjoy it.
I have a "budget" version on MTGO which I enjoy playing from time to time still.

But yes. Try spreading seas against your problematic vamps, and see how things go.

Eh, in my admittedly limited experience, SS isn't so good against vampires. You have to hit multiples for it to even start making a difference. Really Day and Ring are your best friends there.
31/M/taken/US

mowdownjoe

Postby mowdownjoe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:19 am UTC

Heh... just when I was thinking about Magic and this site (was digging through coverage from the latest Pro Tour because I heard they played with Archenemy there, and I'm a sucker for strange formats; also, saw Zvi Mowshowitz in an xkcd shirt), I see this thread.
First off, creatures getting crazy-strong: so? It's the pendulum swinging away from spells being too nutty. I mean, the early days of Magic are filled with stupid stuff like Time Walk, Black Lotus, and Mana Drain. And while obviously, they'll never print those again, you have to admit that creatures regularly got poo-pooed by SOME people just because Terror and Wrath of God exist. I, for one, welcome our new aggro overlords.
Anyway, anyone hear have an EDH deck (or three, in my case)? What's it like? What's your general?

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:23 am UTC

I've got one that I've never used, Rafik of the Many is the General.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:16 am UTC

"Spread 'Em" is frustrating due to the fact that's it's essentially "4-of each of the most expensive cards in Standard and then you can beat Jund". It's not a very satisfying answer to Jund.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:Is it just my perception - not having played since the beginning of Mirage - or has the game become more quickly paced? I saw that someone earlier was complaining about their combo taking 5 turns to start, which just baffles me as I remember long, 20+ turn slugfests back when I played. Granted, that might just have been my group's style and the game was just as fast to end then, but that's what I enjoyed about it.

Games are faster now, but I'm pretty sure that 20-turn slugfests were never common among decks that had a clue what the hell they were doing.

(Also, the first true turn-five-kill combo deck was in Mirage block. They've been around for a while.)
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Return to “Gaming”