Magic : The Gathering : The Thread : The Rename

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

raudorn

Re: Magic : The Gathering : The Thread : The Rename

Postby raudorn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:You've got a very similar elf deck to what I remember from Oddessy era. It's also very close to being a legacy or modern tournament playable deck. The term for it is Elfball. You use elves to ramp into something like Fireball or Craterhoof Behemoth (the behemoth is better imo, as it's in green). The new Garruck is also very good for your kind of deck as it pulls out tonnes of elves, and can cheat out your Craterhoof. There is also this primer for budget elfball.

Thanks, I liked the article. Even though I probably shouldn't be, I'm a sucker for combos and tricks that feel like cheating. Or overkill, that's nice too. "Oh, what lovely creatures you have there. Is that a Platinum Angel? I think my Taunting Elf is going to visit you. And look, those Timberwatch Elves are untapped. I just have to figure out what to do with all that mana. Maybe playing that Ambush Commander? Yes, I think I will do that. Hey, where did all your creatures go?"

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Wheee! The local walmart broke street on Commander 2013 so I was able to pick up the Grixis deck (all the Local LGS ran out of pre-orders for that one).

Was just looking through the new cards on TCG player and noticed that True-Name Nemesis alone is worth $40 right now, adding Baleful Strix and Sol Ring pushed the value to +2x MSRP, I'm strongly considering making another trip to Walmart before tomorrow.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:26 am UTC

We had draft at FNM tonight, and it went pretty well for me. I went for a creature-led red-black deck, as that's how the cards came. There were some really good matches as well - my first opponent had gone mono-black with an Erebos, God of the Dead. He managed to get enough devotion to activate it, but then didn't dare attack with anything else as my blockers would have been strong enough to kill another of his creatures, putting Erebos back in enchantment mode. While he was swinging at me with Erebos, I was attacking with assorted flying creatures, thanks to having some Fleetfeather Sandals. It finally got to the point where if Erebos killed another of my blockers, my opponent would have been able to attack for lethal damage the next turn - but I had a Firedrinker Satyr equipped with the sandals and had been wearing him down. Erebos did manage to take out another of my blockers, but the next turn I was able to attack with the Firedrinker Satyr and use his ability to pump him up to a 5/1, just enough to kill my opponent - and to leave me with a single life point remaining!

I also came across an interesting subtlety in one of my other matches. This opponent was playing white/green, and had made it problematic for me to attack by putting a Gift of Immortality on a Sedge Scorpion. I was looking for a way to get rid of it permanently, and noticed that the creature came back to the battlefield straight away, but the Gift of Immortality waited for the end step. So I attacked, and traded one of my creatures to kill the scorpion. The scorpion then came back to the battlefield, and I killed it again with a Pharika's Cure, leaving the Gift of Immortality unable to come back to the battlefield. I was pretty pleased - it was a 2 for 2 trade of cards, so no advantage there for either of us, but it kept my strategy going and even gained me a couple of life into the bargain.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:40 am UTC

Played my first draft today. Had been reading up on blue and black, and fairly familiar with white from my prerelease sealed and standard decks, so was hoping to play in some combination of those. Cracked Sylvan caryatid and kept getting passed red and green from the guy playing blue black to my right, so that ended being an easy choice. Cracked a foil thoughtseize, which I was after for my standard, so kept that ... then it turned out the guy to my left was also in red/green. Was very worried by the end, had a very high mana curve and only a few playable sorcery/instants, though I had several emissaries.

Anyway, I won. 3-0, mix of newbs and experienced players. Voltroned Centaur battlemaster a few times FTW. A few terrible, terrible plays (forgot to play an ordeal, which would've prevented my opponent killing my guy with lash the whip) but didn't seem to cost me, since he couldn't then use it on the battlemaster.

Good times :)
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:08 am UTC

So, I built out a Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge deck and it turned out to be crazy nuts, much more fun than I expected.

I was basically just fooling around until I got all the cards for the Nekusar deck I had in mind. I thought that I'd basically focus on a milling and stealing things theme and kind of mash my old Lazav deck into a Grixis Shell. Then, about halfway through the deck building process I realized Jeleva's ETB ability actually hits each player, not just each opponent, and that if I just jammed a bunch of insane instants and sorceries into the deck, I could cast them for free.

So I searched out all the instants and sorceries with stupidly powerful effects I could find in my collection and jammed them into the deck. Then all the spells that let me copy instant and sorcery spells (the Mind Seize deck comes with a lot of them by default, I pretty much just added Reverberate and Meletis Charlatan, gonna try to lay hands on a Chandra the Firebrand and Twincast as well) plus Strionic Resonator to both exile and cast more sweet spells.

So far, my favorite play was stealing a Gisela with a Sepulchral Primordial (My favorite combo enabler is an opponent playing a Kaalia deck, so many stupidly powerful creatures to steal and abuse), casting Blast of Genius off of Jeleva's attack trigger, copying it with a Charlatan, and discarding two 9+ cost spells to kill both remaining opponents.

The deck still needs some fine-tuning, gonna swap around the 'sweet spells' slots to find a fun-maximizing loadout. I think more deck manipulation is in order to make it easier to hit with Jeleva's ETB trigger. Also thinking about adding some multiple-combat enablers for casting even more sweet free spells.

Also need some good sac-enablers. My playgroup figured out pretty quickly that I need to get Jeleva off the battlefield so I can recast her to reload and they wouldn't touch her, even going out of their way to make sure she would live.

Anyway, I'm over Nekusar, it seems like basically everyone who got the Mind Seize box wants to cram a bunch of windfall effects into a deck with Nekusar as the commander, Jeleva enables a much wider and more interesting range of shenanigans.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Also need some good sac-enablers. My playgroup figured out pretty quickly that I need to get Jeleva off the battlefield so I can recast her to reload and they wouldn't touch her, even going out of their way to make sure she would live.

That's when you toss in a bunch of enchantments and start buffing the hell out of her, so they have to kill her or die to commander damage.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

I picked up the Eternal Bargain box, personally. I haven't played any games with it yet - a friend also picked up a box, and I've got a couple cards to sub into my deck before I start playing him. I think it's going to be awesome... even if it's even more money to spend.
Omni.

Snark

Postby Snark » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

You guys notice that Bow of Nylea is the first green artifact (that doesn't have other colors or phrexian mana)?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:50 am UTC

GP Toronto is next weekend. If I can figure out a way to get 133 planeswalker points between now and then, then I'll get a first round bye. Somehow I doubt I'll make it.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:44 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Wheee! The local walmart broke street on Commander 2013 so I was able to pick up the Grixis deck (all the Local LGS ran out of pre-orders for that one).

Was just looking through the new cards on TCG player and noticed that True-Name Nemesis alone is worth $40 right now, adding Baleful Strix and Sol Ring pushed the value to +2x MSRP, I'm strongly considering making another trip to Walmart before tomorrow.

Ya, Walmart's big enough to get away with breaking street dates and not really having consequences.

Mind Seize is stupid popular, and while True-Name Nemesis is good...I think it's overrated. Still, I have a waiting list a mile long on the blue deck while I wait for the other decks to sell out.

Azrael001 wrote:GP Toronto is next weekend. If I can figure out a way to get 133 planeswalker points between now and then, then I'll get a first round bye. Somehow I doubt I'll make it.

Lol, how'd it go? Also, for planeswalker point whoring, note that your FLGS typically can enter events, if they are at the Core level of the WPN, and if there's eight people, they can do official events on the spot, too. Gotta test your deck out anyway, might as well get points for doing so.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

I got the date wrong, it was this weekend. I ended up not going, as my friend, who was also my ride decided that the added cost of room and food was more than it was worth to go. His argument was not without merit.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I got the date wrong, it was this weekend. I ended up not going, as my friend, who was also my ride decided that the added cost of room and food was more than it was worth to go. His argument was not without merit.

As some one who has spent many a weekend with friend and foe alike at Grand Prix and Starcity Opens, it is always worth the food and room costs to hang out with a bunch of Magic players and spend all weekend eating good food, playing Magic and having hotel shenanigans involving alcohol. I highly suggest you go to the next event you have a chance to. Rounding up more people also helps with cost quite a lot.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:30 am UTC

Finally got to draft some Modern Masters! It was a side event at a local PTQ so I went just for that. Ended up in a sort of mono-black rogues/prowl deck splashing blue for Fairies, with a retrace/dredge based backup plan. It worked ridiculously well and I split in the finals.

Used some prize packs to enter another Modern Masters draft where I ended up in about four different archetypes somehow. I thought maybe I could salvage it by cobbling together a sort of Grixis tempo/control thing but it didn't work out and the deck ended up being a pile that lost every game.

Between the two drafts I pulled enough value to cover the initial buy in, plus I got to draft Modern Masters and play some bonkers limited games.

My impressions of the format is that it's fun, but maybe not worth the price premium (at least locally, where MM boosters are at 2-3x the already inflated MSRP) especially as Theros is also such a fun draft format right now and doesn't carry any sort of premium.
Still, seeing as I did make up the entry in value, I'll probably try to draft some more Modern Masters if the opportunity presents itself and the cost doesn't go up significantly.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

LLCoolDave

Postby LLCoolDave » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:05 am UTC

Babam wrote:spend all weekend eating good food

That doesn't match my GP experience too much. That's been more of stuffing down a $9 Hot Dog your friend got you from the concession stand after standing in line for 25 minutes while you furiously scramble to get to the toilets in between rounds because somehow you went to time three rounds in a row.

Then in the evening, trying to find a place where you can get something resembling food at 1:00 AM in a European town because fuck getting 9 rounds done remotely on schedule.

Not that I regret any of these experiences, but my GPs have definitely not been accompanied by what I would call good food.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

LLCoolDave wrote:
Babam wrote:spend all weekend eating good food

That doesn't match my GP experience too much. That's been more of stuffing down a $9 Hot Dog your friend got you from the concession stand after standing in line for 25 minutes while you furiously scramble to get to the toilets in between rounds because somehow you went to time three rounds in a row.

Then in the evening, trying to find a place where you can get something resembling food at 1:00 AM in a European town because fuck getting 9 rounds done remotely on schedule.

Not that I regret any of these experiences, but my GPs have definitely not been accompanied by what I would call good food.

As both a player and judge I've found that usually in the evenings we can locate a decent food joint that is open late enough on Saturday/Sunday if we're in a metropolitan area, and Friday nights are no hassle as far as finding a good restaurant in town. I might be skewing my data with how much I judge as opposed to how much I'm playing.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

I've taken to watching Grand Prix replays on twitch.tv. I know they're a mark of prestige, but I automatically want anyone who uses early-edition lands to lose. It just comes across as really elitist to me, somehow. From watching the replays, there do seem to pretty much always be delays. I have to say, when I used to run competitive events (in PC gaming, but similar) we almost never ran to time unless it was an absolutely huge event with a large amount of slack in the schedule.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:My impressions of the format is that it's fun, but maybe not worth the price premium (at least locally, where MM boosters are at 2-3x the already inflated MSRP) especially as Theros is also such a fun draft format right now and doesn't carry any sort of premium.
Still, seeing as I did make up the entry in value, I'll probably try to draft some more Modern Masters if the opportunity presents itself and the cost doesn't go up significantly.

This is my experience with MM as well. And yeah, they're inflated everywhere, just a matter of how much. I feel fortunate when I can find 'em to sell for $12/pack, because there's so few boxes out there, and people want such a premium that it's really the best that can be done.

Theros is a blast, tho. I love the block, and really haven't gotten tired of drafting it, despite having done it oooh, maybe twenty times. M14 is solid too, but I'm less enthused about drafting it at the moment. I have most the cards anyway, so there's less motivation, and it just isn't as exciting in terms of combos as Theros is overall.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

The local commander Meta is getting a little crowded with Esper, Bant and UWR 'goodstuff' decks loaded with counterspells and boardwipes, making it difficult for new players with precons or rogue decks to break in. The only decks that seem to gain any traction are tutor heavy combo decks that go off the same way every time and the Bant decks are starting to get in on it with Birthing Pod packages. Otherwise, most games end in everyone scooping to join a new game after a massive counter-war or the umpteenth miracled terminus of the game.

Normally I wouldn't have much of a problem with this, lots of ridiculous EDH shenanigans still happen which is mostly what I want out of an EDH game. but it's becoming harder and harder to get away with truly hilarious shenanigans, and more seriously, The pool of willing players is shrinking, at a time when the recent precon release should be causing more players to join in. Even regular members of the local commander scene are starting to drop out as more and more games go on for hours and at the end the only way to tell is the number of lands in play

I'm trying to communicate this to the local players, but there's only so much you can do with words. I want to build a deck (or maybe even a few) that can hold these counter/wrath-heavy goodstuff decks in check.

So far my Ideas have rotated around some sort of Rock/Jund shell that makes lots of disrupting value plays, possibly attacking the control decks' land-bases. there's still relatively little graveyard hate going around, so some sort of reanimator package would probably work, but I don't want to just build another super-linear combo deck. I'm more interested in punishing counter-heavy control decks than in 'beating' the meta. I dunno, Thoughts?
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

spidernova

Postby spidernova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

If anyone here knows anything about legacy, i'm looking for a decent (cheap) deck to start with. If it helps, I have 4 rites, 2 lillies, and most of the shocks(original duals are way out of budget). Was looking at either dredge, affinity, or goyfless rock, still need bobs tho. I also have a Hatebears deck in modern, minus voices. Any tips for someone trying to start legacy?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:33 am UTC

Doesn't Death and Taxes share a lot of pieces with Hatebears? Also, no need for true duals.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

spidernova

Postby spidernova » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:55 am UTC

Hatebears is almost identical to death and taxes, minus the stoneforge package, and the krakas+wasteland+ rishadan port.
Anyway, got some help from friends and am working on a rock list. The ultimate plan is to build it into jund at some point down the road

4x Deathrite Shaman
4x Scavenging ooze
3x Dark confidant
3x Vampire Nighthawk
2x Thrun, The last Troll
1x Tombstalker

Instant/Sorceries (17):
4x Abrupt Decay
4x Thoughtseize
4x Hymn to Tourach
2x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Smother
1x Malestrom Pulse

Enchantments(2): 2x Sylvan Library

planeswalkers: 2x Liliana of the veil

Lands(22)
4x Overgrown Tomb
4x Twilight Mire
3x Ghost Quarters
5x Swamps
3x Forest
2x Treetop Village
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Sideboard:
3x Toxic Deluge
2x Ensnaring Bridge
1x Liliana of the veil
1x Crucible of Worlds or Life from Loam
1x Grafdiggers Cage
2x Nature Claim
3x Mind-Break Trap
1x Sword of Feast and Famine
1x Sword of Fire and Ice

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:23 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:The local commander Meta is getting a little crowded with Esper, Bant and UWR 'goodstuff' decks loaded with counterspells and boardwipes, making it difficult for new players with precons or rogue decks to break in. The only decks that seem to gain any traction are tutor heavy combo decks that go off the same way every time and the Bant decks are starting to get in on it with Birthing Pod packages. Otherwise, most games end in everyone scooping to join a new game after a massive counter-war or the umpteenth miracled terminus of the game.

Normally I wouldn't have much of a problem with this, lots of ridiculous EDH shenanigans still happen which is mostly what I want out of an EDH game. but it's becoming harder and harder to get away with truly hilarious shenanigans, and more seriously, The pool of willing players is shrinking, at a time when the recent precon release should be causing more players to join in. Even regular members of the local commander scene are starting to drop out as more and more games go on for hours and at the end the only way to tell is the number of lands in play

I'm trying to communicate this to the local players, but there's only so much you can do with words. I want to build a deck (or maybe even a few) that can hold these counter/wrath-heavy goodstuff decks in check.

So far my Ideas have rotated around some sort of Rock/Jund shell that makes lots of disrupting value plays, possibly attacking the control decks' land-bases. there's still relatively little graveyard hate going around, so some sort of reanimator package would probably work, but I don't want to just build another super-linear combo deck. I'm more interested in punishing counter-heavy control decks than in 'beating' the meta. I dunno, Thoughts?

How about putting the karmic guide/reveilark package in the deck? I also recommend playing "Seedtime". "Oh, you countered my spell. With a blue counter-spell no less I think I will cast a green version of a power nine card"

Otherwise to shake up the format you could start introducing a points system similar to this: http://www.5colorcontrol.com/noshyfts/?p=6
"Absolute precision buys the freedom to dream meaningfully." - Donal O' Shea: The Poincaré Conjecture.
"We need a reality check here. Roll a D20." - Algernon the Radish
"Should I marry W? Not unless she tells me what the other letters in her name are" Woody Allen.

LLCoolDave

Postby LLCoolDave » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

Death and Taxes may not have dual lands, but that doesn't mean the manabase is cheap. You absolutely NEED 4 Wasteland, 4 Rishaden Port and 3 Karakas. They are irreplaceable. Without them the deck is just hot garbage. Depending on your local prices that's not really any cheaper than other competitive decks.

As for the commander issue you are having Edgar, I'd recommend trying to build a Gaddock Teeg hate deck. Null Rod and Stony Silence to stop their artifact ramp and birthing pod shenanigans; Linvala, cursed totem, Suppression Field to deal with value creatures and more activated abilities. Hokori, Loxodon Gatekeeper, Defense Grid and Thalia to tax their counterspells and removal. Some ways to protect your Gaddock Teeg, some efficient G/W beaters. Just try making their life as miserable as possible. I've got something similar sleeved up for just the same occasions, whenever our local meta gets too cutthroat and unfun I bring the Teeg and make sure nobody gets to enjoy the game. Always made people rebuild decks for the next week so far to return to an enjoyable and silly environment.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

When it comes to changing a local metagame, the most important thing is to talk to people about why you think there's a problem. Actions speak louder than words, but they're also more open to interpretation - playing a spoiler deck to shut down the unhealthy dominant decks can result in the metagame becoming even more unfun as everyone takes up the challenge rather than stepping back to avoid mutually assured depression. If you tell people why you're playing a super unfun deck (or better yet, talk to them first and then bring out the deck if nothing improves) then they're more likely to learn the desired lesson.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:28 am UTC

Commander's been pretty dead the last two weeks, with people out of town for the DFW GP and one of the main commander groups getting pushed aside for a mini-convention. This has actually led to one or two actually interesting and fun games with people who would normally be unwilling to play with the other commander 'regulars' of the local group. It will be interesting to see what happens when the regular commander events start back up.

Meanwhile though, I've pretty much solved the standard meta-game. Funnily enough, the solution turned out to be Boon Satyrs and Golgari Charms.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:08 pm UTC

Is anyone doing anything for the Born Of The Gods release? My local games shop is doing a midnight prerelease running to about 5 in the morning on the Saturday, with events in the daytime on Saturday and Sunday. I'm going to try to play in them all.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:31 pm UTC

I feel too old for midnight releases. Staying until Four or Five int he morning playing magic is a bit much.

I'm registered for a Saturday afternoon prerelease, and I'll probably be drafting a lot on release day though.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

My pre-release was pretty underwhelming. I chose Blue but ended up not getting enough playables to make it work so I went for a sort of Junk heroic/inspired build. Did alright but didn't pull anything sweet in any of my packs (except a Perplexing Chimera which goes straight into one of my EDH decks). Didn't even get any of the sweet uncommons from the new set.

New banned & Restricted list has been released. Deathrite get's the Axe

Nacatl and Bitterblossom also come off the list. Faerie staples have pretty much evaporated in response, and Bitterblossoms have nearly tripled in price from the already inflated pre-announcement hype price. Faeries may just replace BGx as the dominant archetype, but I think the real problem is Bob+Goyf+Liliana and Bitterblossom likely slots into that shell just fine. BGx was strong before Deathrite and will almost certainly be strong after.

It'll be interesting to see what a Naya Aggro deck looks like these days. Will it look more like the RG Blitz decks that ported in from m13 standard last year, or more of a Zoo deck with Voices and such. Maybe we'll get both.

From my perspective, both of the unbannings create massive problems for Infect. Bitterblossoms ability to infinitely chump block is bad enough, but a strong non-robots Aggro deck likely means more maindeck creature hate.

In addition, I was working towards an EDH faeries deck which will likely be impossible to compete on any sort of reasonable budget now.

speaking of EDH, the committee banned Sylvan Primordial. Not really a surprising move, but it does create an opening in my Damia deck. I wonder if I can find something even more degenerate to loop with Deadeye Navigator and/or copy a whole bunch of times with Rite of Replication
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:39 pm UTC

I went to a prerelease on Saturday - literally the first time I've ever been to a Magic event that could be considered even mildly official, not even been to an FNM yet - and it was a fun experience. Picked red, and pulled a hell of a lot of direct damage spells, so I ended up going Boros thanks to a decent amount of solid white creatures - went 3 wins and 3 losses, losing against rushdown decks that I couldn't clear out fast enough. Seems like a fun way to play overall, definitely going to the equivalent for Journey into Nyx.

Rares I pulled were decent too, got the red tribute minotaur and the Eidolon of Countless Battles, plus a Chromanticore in my prize pack. Oh, and a Thoughtseize to make it worth the money :D
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

spidernova

Postby spidernova » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:49 pm UTC

Well, I'm not entirely sure that deathrite deserved the axe, but I guess it was the least worst card to ban to stop jund from being 40% of the meta. On a related note, a bunch of the jund players here are complaining how their goyf/lilly/bob shell is now "unplayable". Is it just me, or does this seem a little deluded?.

As far as my deck goes, I play g/w hatebears, i'm not worried about fae too much, vial and voice are great. And thanks to the ban, my noble hearchs have spiked in price. I traded 2 lilianas for 3 of them and a sword of WaP

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 am UTC

spidernova wrote:Well, I'm not entirely sure that deathrite deserved the axe, but I guess it was the least worst card to ban to stop jund from being 40% of the meta. On a related note, a bunch of the jund players here are complaining how their goyf/lilly/bob shell is now "unplayable". Is it just me, or does this seem a little deluded?.

As far as my deck goes, I play g/w hatebears, i'm not worried about fae too much, vial and voice are great. And thanks to the ban, my noble hearchs have spiked in price. I traded 2 lilianas for 3 of them and a sword of WaP

Jund was good before Deathrite Shaman and even Bloodbraid Elf and will likely be good long after. There haven't been a whole bunch of Modern events since the ban, but the ones I've seen don't seem to be lacking in GB/x.

If any card deserves to be banned from those decks, it's probably Dark Confidant actually. Perhaps even moreso than BloodBraid Elf. It's the card advantage engine that holds the whole thing together. I would prefer Wizards manage the power-level of the format via unbannings and printing new cards though.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

spidernova

Postby spidernova » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:02 pm UTC

I wish that fetch lands didn't cost 50$ each. I have a fun looking junk hate deck I would love to play, but I cant realistically get the fetchlands at their current prices.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:58 pm UTC

A reprint is very likely in the near future (possibly including Onslaught fetches). Popular speculation is for at least one or two to show up in the Modern Event Deck, followed by a full reprint in M15 (which drops right in the middle of Modern PTQ season) or Huey block (right after RtR rotates out, so Fetches won't share a Standard format with Shocks). If not, the Zendikar fetches will certainly be in Modern Masters 2.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:08 pm UTC

I give WOTC credit, they're printing cards FOR modern and balancing it just like they do with standard. It's impressive given the pile of cards they have to deal with. They've also pretty substantially minimized the power gap between standard and modern. Newer players can more easily play against modern staples in a semi-casual/serious matchup. It has however for me been a real problem. They keep printing cards that change the modern meta game (abrupt decay, etc) which I suppose is on purpose to get me to buy more cards but in reality just drives me out of the game.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

spidernova

Postby spidernova » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:21 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I give WOTC credit, they're printing cards FOR modern and balancing it just like they do with standard. It's impressive given the pile of cards they have to deal with. They've also pretty substantially minimized the power gap between standard and modern. Newer players can more easily play against modern staples in a semi-casual/serious matchup. It has however for me been a real problem. They keep printing cards that change the modern meta game (abrupt decay, etc) which I suppose is on purpose to get me to buy more cards but in reality just drives me out of the game.

I think that's not entirely true at the moment. Theros feels rather weak, spirit of the labrinth, and Brimaz, are the only cards that strike me as seeing play in non rotating formats.. Now, with the rtr-inn block, THAT was near modern. I'm rather grateful that wotc prints new cards for modern. Like scavenging ooze, its a good green 2 drop that's not goyf, and not 180$.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:50 am UTC

Well, more cards being viable leads to an increasingly varied and complex meta. And that is generally considered more interesting/fun, which leads to more interest int he format which leads to more people buying more cards.

So yes.

But it's a bit more complex than just printing new cards so that in order to be competitive you have to buy the latest set or whatever.

WotC seems to have done a fairly good job balancing new cards in modern so that old cards and strategies are still viable, rather than just making each set more powerful than the last.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:34 pm UTC

Yeah, if you read the design articles, like from Mark Rosewater, you find that they pay a *ton* of attention to the health of the various formats.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:07 am UTC

Gameday report before I forget, will add decklist later, and more detail if I can remember. I've been playing a G/B midrange deck that some players in the local group have taken to calling "mono-removal Golgari"
Finally managed to play a Game Day event at the store I usually play FNM at, instead of the store that's close to me but can't competently run an event more complex than an 8-person draft (see the rant in one of my previous posts).

Match 1:
Played a crazy White Weenies Brew that played Murder Investigation. Lost game 1 when they double Murder Invetigation + Bestowed Eidolon of Countless Battles on a Hero of Iroas (who shall forevermore be nicknamed 'Buff Lincoln') and then sacced the Hero to Desecration Demon. Wasn't able to draw into a Golgari Charm or Bile Blight.
Game 2 was a more standard affair and Game 3 I had to battle through triple Fiendslayer Paladins. I eventually battled them down to 1 Paladin with a Gift of Orzhova, and a Murder Investigation+Eidolon+Ethereal Armor enchanted Soldier of the Pantheon. Got them to sac the Soldier to Demon again and had double Bile Blight in hand so I could kill all the tokens and the Eidolon, generating approximately a squintillion Scry triggers on my Reaper of the Wilds. By this point, we had a small crowd and everyone was eagerly awaiting my massive scry, but I when I looked at the first card, I just put it back on top and left it there. When it was my turn, I flipped Devour Flesh off the top and swung for lethal.

Match 2:
Mono-Blue devotion splashing Ashiok and Far//Away. The pilot of this deck rarely plays constructed and was using the same deck as for Theros gameday.

I got badly color screwed in Game 1 and lost to all of my green sources being exiled under Ashiok.
Game 2, the color screw continued, but I had back-to-back Heralds of Torment and Pack Rats to take the game.
Game three I took control of early on with a Scavenging Ooze into double Desecration Demon and sealed it by Bestowing a Herald on Reaper of the Wilds.

Match 3 was an 'Orzhov Weenies' deck from a friend of mine. We'd both playtested each others decks extensively and had a pretty good idea that my deck was heavily favored (Though their deck is very strong otherwise). Ended up not mattering anyway, they mulled to 3 in game one and a loose 5 in game 2 and put up little resistance.

Match 4, we drew into top eight.

Top 8
Played a Black Devotion splashing White deck. Threw me off game 1 with a Temple of Enlightment start and then they closed it out with multiple Gray Merchants. Didn't see any White spells that game so wasn't sure what to expect.

Game 2 they dropped running Blood Barons, but I kept up with Scavenging Oozes that easily grew big enough to eat a few minor nobles, then bestowed a Herald of Torment to fly over their pack rats.

Game 3 they got stuck on a few key land drops early, I had to eat a Blood Baron with another Ooze later and they never really recovered from the slow start. At the end, they dropped an Obzedat and I showed them a hand full of removal.

Top 4
Played against the opponent I drew with in match 4. They were playing a sweet looking bant list with Kiora and Advent of the Wurm. It was a bit unfocused though, running Judge's Familiar and Experiment One alongside Supreme Verdicts. Both games a resolved Vraska with Abrupt Decay and Golgari Charm backup pretty much ended any resistance they had to offer.

The Finals!
Another friend I've play-tested a good bit with. They were playing a fine tuned Mono-Black build that normally mauls my G/B deck and went into the top 8 with a 100% game win percentage, but I'd changed my build up a bit just before the tournament started and worked out a better sideboard plan against Mono Black.

Game 1 I was out of the gate screaming. Turn 1 Thoughtseize into turn 2 Sylvan Caryatid and then turn three on I had running Desecration Demons and Reapers of the Wilds. They made a valiant showing with Pack Rats and gray Merchants and the final life totals were 5 to nil in my favor. Game 2 was a bit more of a slog, we traded resources for a bit until I was able to stick a Demon + Reaper on an Empty board and took over the momentum from there.

In the end, there could be only one Game Day Champion, and I took home the coveted playmat.

Also pulled a Kiora in my prize packs that went right into my Damia EDH deck alongside the sweet extended art Promo Kiora's Follower. (The promo Pain Seer I traded for a Craterhoof Behemoth which is one of the last few cards I wanted for a Varolz EDH deck I'm working on)

In other EDH news, Prophet of Kruphix has started to overstay it's welcome in the local EDH group, which I completely understand. In my Damia deck, if I can drop a Prophet and keep it alive for a full round of turns, I pretty much just win (though it can take a while to actually win mechanically) and there's a few other local decks that are even more abusive of the Prophet. There's talk of a local ban which I support, if only to force myself to shake up my Damia deck.
I'm working on replacing Prophet with a Birthing Pod/Artifact Tutor package aimed at making Psychosis Crawler a more consistent and easier to assemble win condition (Psychosis Crawler wins are by far my favorite in Damia).

I've also been looking at cards with 'Skip Your Draw Step' as a draw-back to provide some nice synergy with Damia. A lot of these provide a surprising amount of card advantage even on their own (at least in the context of EDH, perhaps not so much in other formats. Other than like Necropotence of course.) Surprised some of these effects aren't more popular.

EDIT:
G/B Midrange Decklist
Spoiler:
Creatures
  • 3x Desecration Demon (2)(B)(B)
  • 4x Herald of Torment (1)(B)(B)
  • 3x Pack Rat (1)(B)
  • 4x Reaper of the Wilds (2)(B)(G)
  • 3x Scavenging Ooze (1)(G)

Planeswalkers
  • 2x Vraska, The Unseen (3)(B)(G)

Instants
  • 3x Abrupt Decay (B)(G)
  • 3x Bile Blight (B)(B)
  • 2x Golgari Charm (B)(G)
  • 2x Hero's Downfall (1)(B)(B)
  • 2x Putrefy (1)(B)(G)

Sorceries
  • 3x Read the Bones (2)(B)
  • 3x Thoughtseize (B)

Lands
  • 1x Encroaching Wastes
  • 4x Golgari Guildgate
  • 4x Overgrown Tomb
  • 5x Forest
  • 8x Swamp

Totals
    • Cards: 60
    • Creatures: 17
    • Lands: 22

Sideboard
  • 2x Dark Betrayal (B)
  • 3x Devour Flesh (1)(B)
  • 1x Hero's Downfall (1)(B)(B)
  • 3x Lotleth Troll (B)(G)
  • 4x Sylvan Caryatid (1)(G)
  • 2x Whip of Erebos (2)(B)(B)

Totals
    • Cards: 15
    • Creatures: 7
    • Legendary Enchantment Artifacts: 2
    • Instants: 6

EDIT: Just remembered, this isn't the list I actually played the event with. Previous versions of the deck did not run any Pack Rats and for this event I was testing them in the sideboard. Afterwards I realized I was just siding into Rats for every match up and moved them mainboard, displacing my Sylvan Caryatids. I felt a 1-of Caryatid in the main wasn't going to do much good so swapped a Thoughtseize out of my side to make room for the playset.

Additional commentary on the deck:
The 1-of Encroaching Wastes is actually fairly useful for catching out Nyxthos or the occasional Mutavault, and can even snipe a color-screwed 3+ color deck every once in a while. If I was made of money I'd probably replace it with 2-3 Mutavaults though.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

spidernova

Postby spidernova » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:13 pm UTC

Cool looking list, I would run underworld connections over read the bones myself however.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:49 am UTC

I've been thinking about putting them in the sideboard for control matchups, but Control just isn't very prevalent locally so it's not a big deal.

I feel that the ability to find the right card for a specific situation makes Read the Bones the stronger over-all choice in this deck.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Return to “Gaming”