WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chen

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:29 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:The immediate reason that comes to mind is to help lower the amount of video lag on the screen. 100 people on land mounts is much less graphically demanding than 20 people on land mounts, 50 people on flying mounts, and the other 30 on HUGE flying mounts. People love to get out their netherdrakes and let themselves hover 20 feet above town while they go afk, which also forces computers to process the flapping sound and animation.

I don't see how that really follows considering shelling out 1k gold is significantly easier and faster than doing a quest line. You can't fly in Dalaran anyways so that should reduce that flapping lag there at least (though I guess you could be riding your giangantic 20k gold mammoth...)

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

I quoted the wrong thing, sorry. I meant to quote your:
Interesting to note you CANNOT fly in Dalaran except at the Flight path area. Don't know why.
And reply with:
The immediate reason that comes to mind is to help lower the amount of video lag on the screen. 100 people on land mounts is much less graphically demanding than 20 people on land mounts, 50 people on flying mounts, and the other 30 on HUGE flying mounts. People love to get out their netherdrakes and let themselves hover 20 feet above town while they go afk, which also forces computers to process the flapping sound and animation.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

Ah that makes much more sense. I realized there's also a high tower you can only get to in Dalaran by collecting some hidden books. There may be other "easter eggs" around that would be ruined by flying mounts.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Jebobek wrote: People love to get out their netherdrakes and let themselves hover 20 feet above town while they go afk, which also forces computers to process the flapping sound and animation.

guilty. i turn off sound when i play so it doesn't really bother me, heh.

FoS

Postby FoS » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:19 am UTC

My DK is sitting at 72 now and I've really been enjoying myself.
I've leveled as Blood and I've been tanking all the Northrend instances I can, up to and including The Old Kingdom.
So far Azjol-Nerub was the toughest but I was only 70 with really bad tanking gear at the time.
I've crafted a bunch of the Cobalt items and picked up one or 2 other items for tanking so I'm looking a lot better.

My verdict so far, DK's where have you been all my life.
I've played everything and none of the classes I've played have spoken to me like a DK.
Northrend is awesome. The scenery alone is awesome, let alone the quests.

O yeah and Riding across the water never gets old.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:25 am UTC

FUCKING PUTRESS D:<

Edit: He is so fucking dead when I get to him.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Purky

Postby Purky » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

I said the same thing when I saw the cutscene. On the bright side, the battle for the undercity is one of the most awesome things ever. King Llane ftw.

Got to 79 on my warrior and have started to run out of quests in Icecrown and Storm Peaks :( I have to say though, the zones look absolutely amazing (even if Icecrown is a blatant ripoff of Mordor...)

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

Purky wrote:I said the same thing when I saw the cutscene. On the bright side, the battle for the undercity is one of the most awesome things ever. King Llane ftw.

Got to 79 on my warrior and have started to run out of quests in Icecrown and Storm Peaks :( I have to say though, the zones look absolutely amazing (even if Icecrown is a blatant ripoff of Mordor...)

Spoiler:
You'd think Bolvar, the paladin, would just bubble and get the hell out of the poison...anyways :P

Storm peaks near Ulduar looks freaking amazing. If you don't have an epic flying mount, though, I suggest not leveling in Storm Peaks. There's a TON of flying to do later on and it'll seriously slow you down.

Sandals

Postby Sandals » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

i hate you.

yes, you.

you with your 70+ death knight.

Grrrrrrrr :evil:

i've not even got my 70 hunter to 71 yet, and there are people running around with freaking DEATH KNIGHTS that are higher level than me!!!! Is it my fault i have to work?
stupid kids and stupid people with other stupid jobs their stupid time off being stupid flexible... moan grumble moan upset...
Benfrenchman wrote:*I'm not sure why I used rad here... unless.... *checks clock* No, wait, it's not 1997. I guess I'm just an idiot.

podbaydoor wrote:Oral Sex might be the shortstop position.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:FUCKING PUTRESS D:<

Edit: He is so fucking dead when I get to him.

man even i wanted to kill him. and i'm horde! fucker killed saurfang's kid.

edit - er nevermind, that was arthas. still, that was a dick move.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

Did some heroics last night (Utgard Keep, Azjol Nerub, Lightning Halls and Drak'theron Keep). With most of the people in group having a fair bit of sunwell gear it went pretty easily. That said almost every drop was an upgrade (though we got a bunch of healing plate with no healing paladin =/). Last boss in Utgard Keep dropped an epic leather belt that blew my T6 belt out of the water. Similarly one of the middle bosses in Lightning Halls dropped blue boots that were a lot better than my T6 boots. I have to say most of it is tuned quite well, though there are still some mobs that will wreck a well geared tank.

FoS

Postby FoS » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

Sandals wrote:i hate you.

yes, you.

you with your 70+ death knight.

Grrrrrrrr :evil:

i've not even got my 70 hunter to 71 yet, and there are people running around with freaking DEATH KNIGHTS that are higher level than me!!!! Is it my fault i have to work?
stupid kids and stupid people with other stupid jobs their stupid time off being stupid flexible... moan grumble moan upset...

Sadly I'd had to level my testicles off to get my collection of 70's and a DK. I took 5 days leave and had to cut back to 2 days otherwise I'd be 80 on my DK.
"...working as intended"

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

I'm so close to my Dreadsteed I can almost taste it.

I elected to go the original route, mainly because the last time I was playing, that was the ONLY route, and I was halfway through it.

I almsot solo'd the Scholomance portion, but those Undead in the Basement are fugging ridiculous! They Rip through my Void-Walker in a matter of seconds! This is at level 65 mind...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:01 am UTC

I found a great way to level. Try to level along with a tank and healer. You an gather up all the quest mobs in an area and AOE them down with almost no down time. You lose a bit of kill XP, but you make up for it by being able to do all the group quests right away. Not to mention that you just need to find some dime-a-dozen DPS to get an instance group together.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:43 am UTC

Alternatively, make friends with a BM-spec hunter sporting a Gorilladin. There you have your heavy dps, AoE tanking, and extreme healing for the tank itself, all in one character.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:57 am UTC

So far I've done all except about 3 group quests solo on my DK.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:13 am UTC

75 on my DK.

Solo'd every group quest so far except for a 5 man dragon in Dragonblight -- 2 man'd it with a retadin. I love DKs.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:49 am UTC

77, The only ones I didn't solo were Kreug and Arugal (but I know I could have soloed Arugal but some guys came along and they wanted the kill too so I grouped with him).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Yeah I couldn't do Kreug or Arugal myself either. I suppose if I used a ton of LOSing on Arugal it coulda worked but for a druid it was just too big a pain. The quests that recommend 5 people are generally not soloable (save a couple) but almost any of the others that recommend 2-3 people are easily done if you have good gear.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:19 am UTC

hit 80 on the rogue... got 440 engineering and goggles (which i'll replace on thaddius in 10-man naxx whereas my BC goggles lasted my entire BC career (stupid archimonde... grumble))

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:23 am UTC

Oh yeah so a few hours ago I hit 80 on my DK.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

65 on my DK. One level from matching my other highest level at 66.

I'm leveling roughly once a day and then going into RP mode. It's a good system.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:02 am UTC

68 on my "lock headed up to Northrend.

First impressions, quite good, better than hellfire peninsula was, but not as good as netherstorm, so I fully expect to be blown away by the areas later on...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:08 am UTC

Borean Tundra sucks, Howling Fjord is the best zone ever.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:21 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Borean Tundra sucks, Howling Fjord is the best zone ever.

Except for the Axe of Frozen Death, that makes the whole zone worthwhile.

Btw, "Nothing Boring About Borean".

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:05 pm UTC

Nothing except everything.

Today we semi-pug 10man and 25man Archavon, I got Deadly Glad DK pants and a bunch of other cool shit dropped.

Also did a guild 10man Nax, finished off Spider and most of Plague, they were ridiculously easy as hell. 1 shots all the way though.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

FoS

Postby FoS » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:46 pm UTC

I hit 77 last night so I can finally trollop around on my skeletal Gryphon.
I've been running around as Blood/Unholy and quite frankly solo'ing big mobs is a joke. At 75 this weekend I solo'd the 5man Bone Dragon and I took a shot at Ony.
I got her into the air pretty easily but my strat with the whelps needed some refinement so she got me.
I'll take another shot at her tonight most likely since I'm not feeling as much pressure to power through to 80 as I did to 77.
"...working as intended"

Koboldskind

Postby Koboldskind » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Borean Tundra sucks, Howling Fjord is the best zone ever.

Especially, Howling Fjord is the zone with the best soundtrack ever, followed by Grizzly Hills and Dragonblight sharing second place. It sounds great and contributes so much to the atmosphere.

Level 78 on my shammy now, and just respecced to resto again *cries*

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

I'm thinking i'm gonna have to go resto too; no one wants to go healer in my group of 10 folks. This is a shame. We've had people play their warriors or rogues for 4 years straight and talk about how much damage they're doing. Lazies! I hope they implement the dual spec feature that they're talking about.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:02 pm UTC

Cleared 10 man Naxx in two days this weekend. Quite a simple zone if you've got raiding experience. They nerfed a bunch of the fights pretty hard. For example:
1) I had messed up a rotation once we killed the first horsemen and ending up tanking the second one with 7 stacks of his debuff before he died.
2) We didn't kill a single follower in Faerlina properly to dispel the enrage and still killed her.
3) People somehow failed to figure out their left and rights and we ended up killing Thaddius with 4 people up and 7 seconds left before his enrage.
4) Died tanking the two guardians of the Icecrown on KT and our other tank picked em both up and tanked them along with KT untill we killed him.

Any one of those woulda easily wiped a raid in the old 40 man Naxx. Going to give the 25 man a try this week. Maybe it'll be a bit more challenging.

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:55 am UTC

watching my guild do heigan was kind of embarassing, i'm not going to lie

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:23 am UTC

yeah so being a prot warrior.. i really am fearing that i'm actually literally unstoppable. The think that's most killed me in both Fjord, Tundra, and Dragonblight has been cliffs. Yes, falling damage has killed me more than anything else.
I was doing the DEHTA quests and killing loot crazed divers, right? And so I sez to my guild, this is what I sez, I sez "I wonder how many I can kill with phat aoeness" And so I grab up the closest 4 and kill them, losing a mere 15% of my health--and this is in just kara gear.

Then I grab up the final six, I've killed two of them, and two more appear and start to kill me.
I kill all of them. That's eight mobs at once, and I lost.. ~40% of my health.
With my druid healer following me, I am a sexy shoeless god of war. It's like I'm under the effects of bladestorm constantly: hits everything all the time, feels no fear or remorse and cannot be stopped unless killed. Except I can't be killed. It's AMAZING.

Also I did UK and thought "hey this is wayyyy easy." cause it's for 68s and such... and then I did Azjol-Nerub, for 72-74's (at 72).. I dunno about it. Anub'arak is way too easy. Like pathetically easy. He should not be there, he should be with arthas in that big old instance.
I think he should be the gear check of that raid.. only the second gear check, like Horsemen were in original naxxramas (do all 8 tanks have their set pieces?). He should reflect spells with his carapace but also have it be spiky so he has damage sheild. And have, oh, fifty million health. Additionally, there were only.. I wanna say... 6 trash pulls in the whole instance, with 3 bosses. It was kinda ridiculous.

Northrend is too easy. I don't support blizzard's desicion of "We're not gonna make another sunwell". I want another sunwell. I want something ridiculous, with serious attunements. I want there to be all the normal instances, with plenty of skilled players getting to the WOTLK version of T5 and even T6... and then there being the massive monolithic LAST RAID INSTANCE that requires perfect execution, perfect skill, and perfect gear that only Nihilum will beat after a year of solid trying.

But i'm crazy and I remember the days when someone went "Oh me yarm Oh ASCENT GOT WORLD FIRST RAGNAROS KILL", the days of Vael, the days of (world's most evil bitch of a boss) C'thun, and the days of Patchwerk being a fleshy wall for raiders to beat their heads against... a time when Manticron Cubes are no problem for expert Fungal Bloom clickers on Loatheb.

guh I always reminiscence on this thread.

still wotlk, regardless of it's ezmoadness, is really really amazing and so incredibly well done and I'm only level 73.
uhhhh fuck.

sunami

Postby sunami » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:58 am UTC

Okay, so here's the deal:

Wrath Gate.

Some of my favorite lore in the game in Forsaken lore (I play Undead too), so, triple more awesomeness on the wrathgate chain(s) and climax.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Koboldskind

Postby Koboldskind » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:29 am UTC

Midnight wrote:Northrend is too easy. I don't support blizzard's desicion of "We're not gonna make another sunwell". I want another sunwell. I want something ridiculous, with serious attunements. I want there to be all the normal instances, with plenty of skilled players getting to the WOTLK version of T5 and even T6... and then there being the massive monolithic LAST RAID INSTANCE that requires perfect execution, perfect skill, and perfect gear that only Nihilum will beat after a year of solid trying.

Northrend IS too easy. Sorry if I don't agree on wanting another Sunwell, but Northrend as it stands now has been overnerfed. I healed a lvl 72 arms warrior through Old Kingdom (last boss is 76) and didn't even break a sweat. Don't get me wrong, i'm having a blast in Northrend, but I do miss a challenge. Does anyone have experience with the heroics yet? Are they harder, or should i buy something to read while healing?

sunami wrote:Okay, so here's the deal:

Wrath Gate.

Some of my favorite lore in the game in Forsaken lore (I play Undead too), so, triple more awesomeness on the wrathgate chain(s) and climax.

The Wrathgate chain is truely awesome. For the first time in WoW, I really have the feeling of moving the story forward, and not just walking around in a static world.

Some of the other lore chains are insanely great, too. The chains for the "Guru of Drakuru" achievement are perfect (admit it, you always wanted to be disguised as a ghoul and work undercover), and the chain concerning the trolls and their gods in Zul'Drak was so fun i just didn't go to bed before i finished it. Still 4 more zones of questing to go, i'm curious what is to come.

P.S.: Got my World Explorer last night (happy)

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

As to difficulty leveling instances HAVE to be easy otherwise people just skip them and level through quests or grinding. Heroics can be a bit more difficult but they're not too bad. Now the heroic achievements thats a different story.

E.g., Anub'arak on Heroic is slightly harder (he hits harder, more adds etc) but is still fairly easy. The heroic achievement for him though is...kill him under 2 minutes. Now this doesn't seem too bad, except letting him burrow all 3 times (75, 50 and 25) will NOT give you enough time to do this, regardless of how fast you kill the adds. So what you need to do is bring him to 26%, curse of tongues (or mind numbing poison or something) and wait til he starts his locust swarm cast. IMMEDIATELY when he starts casting you need to burn him dead before the cast finishes or he'll burrow and you'll go over your 2 minutes. Similar situation on the last boss of the Old Kingdom with his Insanities (similar 2 min timer I believe to kill him). Hell the first boss in Azjol Nerub's achievement involves killing the boss with all 3 gatewatcher adds still up.

They made the game easy to complete on easy mode. Put it on hard mode (like leaving the three drakes up while killing Sartharion or not letting a single person die during a boss for a whole Naxx clear) and you've got your challenge.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

yeah but i just don't know about that. Before, in sunwell, in 40 man naxx, the rewards for killing these guys that nobody else could kill was epic loots, and peopel going "holy shit this guy is in full t3/Sunwell!". Now, doing anub'arak in under 2 minutes means nothing. you get 10 acheivement points (Which, currently, are useless.. i hope you can use them to buy stuff.. 'requires 1000 acheivement points in addition to however many emblems of valor'). killing him in under 2 minutes means nothing--you have to not only do that, but do ALL the heroic instance acheivements for.. a title (though occasionally it is a protodrake, which is AWESOME I WANT).

But the only difference between Nihilum or twentyfifthnovember or whatever it's called now and my casual guild that raids on saturday night (we're not all 80 yet.. i'm only 73) isn't GEAR anymore. I'll have the same tank gear as nihilum's main tank.. he'll just be "Kungen, Champion of the Frozen Wastes" and I'll be "Hyperiom". Which isn't enough of a difference, imo.

don't get me wrong, I LIKE that i'll be in that gear.. but at the same time I feel like HE'S been cheated. or that I didn't deserve it. or something.
uhhhh fuck.

sunami

Postby sunami » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:00 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:don't get me wrong, I LIKE that i'll be in that gear.. but at the same time I feel like HE'S been cheated. or that I didn't deserve it. or something.

For me it has nothing to do with whether I deserve some piece of gear or not, it's about fun. Kael'thas and Kil'jaeden involved 1 month of raids each throwing ourselves at them. They were hard boss fights. When they finally died, the whole guild lit up, my heartrate was through the roof, and all that. That is fun. Walking through Naxx and pushing over every boss is boring, I'd rather be watching TV.

Or doing some of the awesome solo quests that are in Northrend :D.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

Army of the Dead needs to get buffed.

And rampaging through BGs at 79 on my DK was ridiculous. We're talking single-handed victories in AB, under 6 minutes, me with 230k damage and 50HKs with the next best sitting at 90k/12. Utter molestation.

Finally, after 5 days /played...

Spoiler:

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

If you're in a guild that killed anything in Sunwell pre-nerf (hell or even Illidan pre-nerf) Naxx is NOT targetted towards you. If Naxx were tuned to Sunwell difficulty the vast majority of people would be sitting around unable to even fathom going in. Accessible raiding is probably the best thing Blizzard has done with WoW. There are difficult prestige items to get for doing it the hard way (like the Bear mount in ZA). I guarentee the vast majority of people will hit fairly solid brick walls in Naxx when they get to Patchwerk or Heigan or maybe even Gothik. Remember too, this is the first tier of raid content. Now there is no guarentee that the next tier will be harder but it'd wager it will be.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

Chen wrote:If you're in a guild that killed anything in Sunwell pre-nerf (hell or even Illidan pre-nerf) Naxx is NOT targetted towards you. If Naxx were tuned to Sunwell difficulty the vast majority of people would be sitting around unable to even fathom going in. Accessible raiding is probably the best thing Blizzard has done with WoW. There are difficult prestige items to get for doing it the hard way (like the Bear mount in ZA). I guarentee the vast majority of people will hit fairly solid brick walls in Naxx when they get to Patchwerk or Heigan or maybe even Gothik. Remember too, this is the first tier of raid content. Now there is no guarentee that the next tier will be harder but it'd wager it will be.
The accessible raiding IS the best thing Blizzard has done. Too bad it took them another two years to figure it out. Basically, this is how raiding and gear progression will go between Hardcore, Casual, and those inbetween:
Gear progression in raids.PNG
Gear progression in raids.PNG (10.26 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
This time around, everyone gets to see the end. Finally.

Return to “Gaming”