WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Haistfu

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Haistfu » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

Bahahaha!

Spoiler:

In HoL.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:You don't need a +CC spec these days because EVERYONE has a CC now, including pallies (repentence) and shaman (hex). If you plan to go survival for 5-10 man CC, players will simply look at you and wonder why your DPS sucks so much.

Can't disagree more with this. My roomie plays a survival hunter, and his DPS is better than almost anyone he knows. While survival may be a theoretically worse spec at the moment, people forget that skill is still a huge factor... if you're a skilled player, you'll probably blow people away in any spec, just not as much as you would in an optimal spec.

Which is not to say you should spec survival if it's sub-par, I'm just saying that people are more than likely not going to be wondering why your DPS sucks. If you're good, it won't suck.

Hentzau

Postby Hentzau » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

I'll have to bear that in mind about the CC. It's a shame though, survival was ace in the Sunwell patch, beautiful DPS and nice raid buff from Expose Weakness, throw in wyvern sting and it's wonderful.

Although I haven't played any WotLK, I fully expect to be tearing my hair out about the scatter shot/ readiness switch. I might have to level BM and grab myself a Silithid.

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:30 am UTC

bigstrat2003 wrote:
Jebobek wrote:You don't need a +CC spec these days because EVERYONE has a CC now, including pallies (repentence) and shaman (hex). If you plan to go survival for 5-10 man CC, players will simply look at you and wonder why your DPS sucks so much.

Can't disagree more with this. My roomie plays a survival hunter, and his DPS is better than almost anyone he knows. While survival may be a theoretically worse spec at the moment, people forget that skill is still a huge factor... if you're a skilled player, you'll probably blow people away in any spec, just not as much as you would in an optimal spec.

Which is not to say you should spec survival if it's sub-par, I'm just saying that people are more than likely not going to be wondering why your DPS sucks. If you're good, it won't suck.

i consider myself pretty good at the rogue class, and i'm not going to spec sub for more cc options. i know my dps is better as mutilate so i'm going to stay mutilate. cause dps is my job.

i cannot WAIT for the season to begin. i already have 2/5 pieces of deadly glad gear (thank youuu vault of archavon) and i'm set up to run mage/rogue in 2v2 with one of my good friends and PMR 3v3 with a really geared priest friend of ours. eeeee, i'm so ready to pvp seriously again.

FoS

Postby FoS » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:39 am UTC

I finally got to do some proper tanking of 10man Naxx last night. It was great.

We did Sarth and then cleared Spider, Construct and Plague wings including Raz.

It was really great to see some of the fights again and how they've been re-focused to 10 people, not to mention the great upgrades.
I got the DK lookalike Shoulders and the Tanking ring off Sarth so I'm sitting at 31K buffed HP with a nice amount of Parry and Dodge (uncrittable of course).
We'll head in tonight and finish Naxx and most likely go take Malygos too.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:06 am UTC

Well I know my brother bought me WotlK for christmas so I am firing up (installing again) Wow and BC, but I will be removing all my old characters and starting a fresh.
Any reccomndations for a server/realm?

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

Not sure if there is any sort of server that has the most XKCD members on it.. I'm alliance on Lightnings Blade. It is a medium-sized PVP server in the vindication (I think) battlegroup. We had some wait times the first couple of nights of the expansion but that was about it. Not a bad realm if you like PVP servers.

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

i play on kil'jaeden horde, and i wouldn't have it any other way. i love the community here.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

aaron wrote:
bigstrat2003 wrote:

i consider myself pretty good at the rogue class, and i'm not going to spec sub for more cc options. i know my dps is better as mutilate so i'm going to stay mutilate. cause dps is my job.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons to go for the best theoretical spec. Then again, I'm not saying there aren't reasons to do what you like, and fsck the best theoretical spec. What I AM saying is that if you're an excellent player, you can spec whatever tree you want, and your DPS will still be good. Maybe not as theoretically good as it could be, but STILL GOOD.

Ian: I play Alliance side, Dalaran. Good server (it's east coast and PvE). Although most players hate PuGs, I actually have yet to have a truly awful PuG there, and the people generally tend to be somewhat intelligent. Now, on the PvP server my hunter is on...

Hentzau

Postby Hentzau » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:40 am UTC

I'm on Khadgar EU. Don't know anyone from XKCD or indeed anyone that I met outside the server there.

Koboldskind

Postby Koboldskind » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

I'm on EU-Defias Brotherhood. Lots of nice people here, but if you're looking for high end raiding it's probably not the greatest choice

Poposhka

Postby Poposhka » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

Me and a bunch of RL friends (rl i swear!) are on Alliance Shadowsong (PvE) Look up the epic guild <Snuggle Friends>. It takes a real man to wear that guild tag. We have an offshoot on Horde Durotan (PvE) as well, but it's not as active.

Edit: Ha ha. Our website is still up. It displays the last throes of activity before we disintegrated (Jimmy quit, Joey got married. I should have known we'd never get that far)

Edit2: http://www.snugglefriends.net

sunami

Postby sunami » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

aaron wrote:i play on kil'jaeden horde, and i wouldn't have it any other way. i love the community here.

Do you know a troll mage named Inkie?
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

Just a reminder about the Gamer ID thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=30966

This might be a great place to post your player name and server if you would like to meet up with other XKCD players that happen to be on your server. And possibly gank them.

Posting them in this thread is great, but as the thread grows it becomes increasingly hard to research forumites and what server they are on.

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

sunami wrote:
aaron wrote:i play on kil'jaeden horde, and i wouldn't have it any other way. i love the community here.

Do you know a troll mage named Inkie?

i THINK i might've grouped with that person once pre-bc, idk. know a belf rogue named theory?

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 am UTC

With term over for the Christmas break, I've finally got the chance to test out Wrath content. While I've yet to move my hunter up to Northrend, and probably won't for a while, I have made the initial Death Knight zerg. The starting zone is vastly improved on what it was when I first tried it on the beta. Doing Patchwerk with one other player and 4 60 elite NPC's was hilarious!
So far Retsiembod, the cunning anagram of my hunter Dobmeister, has reached the big Six-Oh. Surprisingly, this is still only the 2nd character of mine to do that achievement. Shaman is still languishing at 45.
As a random piece of advice for any other bewildered players taking up a DK out of "everyone playing Wotlk rolls a DK for the questline and maybe some Outland" syndrome, I offer this: sort your UI. The way I've rigged my bars for Retsi- is to shove my Strikes together on main bar, then the two second level bars have spells sorted by Blood/Frost/Unholy/RunicPower/High-Cooldown-IWIN-Buttons. Allowing myself to recognise that 'here we have the blood rune spells', 'here we spam DC when RP is high' certainly helps I reckon. That and a Rune Cooldown Watcher add-on to keep you up-to-date. My DK's certainly surviving a lot more than he did when I moved him to HFP at 58 on the beta. Might be some constructive thinking on the spell layout, might just be chance, but I'm certainly not getting overwhelmed so much. In contrast I'm taking 3+ at once. GoGo Pestilence.
I'm also going for a rather unique talent build. I'm thinking of going straight down the middle hybrid spec. I'll be taking Blood as dominant of the three, but not that deep. 17 points unholy for +20% mount speed, moving down frost by 20 for Runic Power Mastery, then blood tree down to the Aura. As I have little idea how the DK truly works, I'm taking a jack-of-all-trades tree to buff damage/armour/defence overall. Later on I'll respec him into something more cookie-cutter to reflect abilities I use more often or how I want to use him. Taking a few tanking points for when other DK's spam for HFC Ramparts.

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

Dobbles.. I would advise against that. In order to get a feel for DK talents, you really need to go deep in each tree. They all play out COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY. The fundamentals are the same (rune burn rotations, RP dump, R&R) but how they play is very unique. Make your hybrid AFTER you've tried each tree a healthy amount.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:28 am UTC

The way I have mine set up;

1 = B (Blood: Heart Strike, Else: Blood Strike)
2 = U (PS)
3 = F (IT)
4 = FU (Unholy: Scourge Strike, Else Obliterate)
5 = Rune Strike
6 = Death Strike
7 = Death And Decay
8 = Tanking: Lichborne/HP Macro. Unholy: Pet Heal Macro, Blood/Frost: Probably an Empty Slot.
9 = Path of Frost
0 (V) = Cooldown - Blood: Bloodtap, Unholy: Summon Gargoyle, Unholy Tanking: Anti-Magic Zone.
- (middle click) = Frost: Frost Strike, Else: Death Coil
= (Z) = Tank: Deathgrip/Taunt Macro, DPS: Deathgrip.

F = Human Racial
Shift-R = ERW
R = Unholy: Bone Armor, Blood: Mark of Blood, Frost: Unbreakable Armor
Shift-4 = Pestilence
G = Strangulate
X = Chains of Ice
B = Cooldown - Unholy: Unholy Blight, Blood: DRW, I can't remember what I put here for 50/0/21.
Shift-1 = Icebound Fortitude.
Shift-G = Anti-Magic Shell
Shift-2 = Mind Freeze
Shift-3 = Blood Boil
H = Blood: Hysteria (Or Hysteria Macro), Unholy: Huddle (Pet).
T = Unholy: Gnaw (pet), Frost: Howling Blast, Blood: Death Strike (easier to hit than 6).
Shift-F = Horn of Winter

In general I have specific buttons for "Cooldowns" or "FU strike"

Reasoning for Some other Buttons:

Shift-2: It's Kick on my rogue, also since I hit 2 a lot it's easy to do shift 2. It's also Earth Shock on my Shaman, so I made it mind freeze.
Shift-G: CloS on my Rogue.
X: Shiv and Frost Shock on my Rogue/Shaman.
F: Trinket on other characters.
Z: Deadly Throw on rogue => Death Grip on DK.
Middle Click: Always reactive or "sometimes" abilities. Like Riposte/Overpower(On my War). I figured this suited DC/FS because they are RP dumps at the end of the cycle (also Sudden Doom procs).

Basically regardless of what spec I am the buttons are pretty close to being the same, priority buttons also stay pretty intact except for cooldowns, and of course if you're blood then B is main strike rather than FU.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:32 am UTC

Just MTed Sapphiron and downed him, I got the key.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Experiment no.412

Postby Experiment no.412 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:52 am UTC

I've sadly been unable to play due to my roomie's comp going kaput and her taking mine from me so she can play,(it's hers to start with but,it still sucks.) But anyway I hope to be playing regularly on Thorium Brotherhood(RP). Anyone else out there on TB?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:15 pm UTC

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... on&n=Chiri

DPS gear, but Tanking Spec. I respecced for Naxxramus but was farming quests when I logged out.

DPS is my main spec anyway, I think I've done decently for myself so far. Only 2 more items to replace for full epics.

Edit: Didn't want to Double Post again.... I just tanked and killed Kel'Thuzad. Fun stuff, a bit late, but I lost my spot in the first week's Nax due to dice roll, and this week we were running two and I was in 2nd group.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Givenup

Postby Givenup » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:11 am UTC

ok all i have to say is WOW! how did your guild hit the end of naxx?
i just got the expac a few days ago and got close to 71 in about half a day
and what are some helpful things to know about leveling a Dk
You dont hate the Style, Just create your own.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

We've been butting our heads up against 25 man Malygos for a couple evenings now and its getting fairly frustrating. People just suck completely at using the drakes in phase 3. We've been forcing people to do the Calderra daily that uses the exact same drakes but it isnt helping terribly much. 10 man Malygos is fairly simple but that may just be because the group is filled with the better players I guess. It is kinda nice though that there is a fight where its purely skill that'll get you past the last bit rather than being able to completely overgear it (though I suppose better gear would help with giving more TIME in the last phase).

Our 10 man group also got a bit cocky and tried killing Sartharion with 2 drakes up....that was an unmitigated disaster. Even one drake up was too much going on and DPS being too slow thus dragging the fight on and inevitably having someone make a mistake and us wiping. I am fairly happy with the level of challenge that Sartharion + drakes is at now. Its definitely not the easy mode that most of the rest of the instances are.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:33 am UTC

The Drakes in the Malygos encounter aren't that hard to use. We've put in a few attempts and most of our DPS can stack it well, our best attempt so far was 800k left, but there was still a few people not stacking properly, I had the highest stack and was ticking for 20k damage, I think if everyone was stacking that high they would have killed him that attempt.

As for Sarth, the strat I've seen is to tank Sarth up the front, drakes up the back and tank the elementals near the drakes. There is no apparent enrage timer on Sarth so it's no problem if you don't DPS him until the drakes are down.

Tenebron - you should never go to the twilight realm, once he comes down kill him ASAP. He should go down just as the other two are coming down, then you goto the twilight realm and can kill both disciples at once (from what I've seen). Of course we have not tried this yet, this is just what I have seen on the strat.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:The Drakes in the Malygos encounter aren't that hard to use. We've put in a few attempts and most of our DPS can stack it well, our best attempt so far was 800k left, but there was still a few people not stacking properly, I had the highest stack and was ticking for 20k damage, I think if everyone was stacking that high they would have killed him that attempt.

Yeah we killed him tonight once people finally figured out how not to suck with the drakes. It did help that we all grouped up and dedicated a few to healing.

As for Sarth, the strat I've seen is to tank Sarth up the front, drakes up the back and tank the elementals near the drakes. There is no apparent enrage timer on Sarth so it's no problem if you don't DPS him until the drakes are down.

Tenebron - you should never go to the twilight realm, once he comes down kill him ASAP. He should go down just as the other two are coming down, then you goto the twilight realm and can kill both disciples at once (from what I've seen). Of course we have not tried this yet, this is just what I have seen on the strat.

Yeah I've seen the strats as well. The burning down of the first drake before another drake lands is pretty hard to pull off. Our group isnt terribly well stacked, synergy wise which may be a cause of the issues. We even tried just OTing the drakes and killing Sartharion (since he dies so fast) but when he hits 25% all the drakes enrage and hit for 500% damage :P

Even with only 1 drake though, everything was taking too long to die. Adds are spawning all the time that need to die, the disciples need to die, the DRAKE needs to die and Sartharion. I think the group will need to be stacked more and we'd have enough dps to kill stuff easier. We're going to give it a shot on 25 man this week which should be significantly easier to deal with.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:09 am UTC

Does anyone have any Priest levelling tips?
As my main now is a level 11 Human priest in Shadow so far (spirit tap).
Also what should I look forward to levelling to get after 30? (I reeeeaaaallly want Mind control, and this want will make me ignore grinding woes or boredom.)

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:10 pm UTC

priest levelling doesn't get fun until 40+. shadowform is too great. that's the reason i'm holding on to my priest (who incidentally has the 10% xp gain)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:43 am UTC

Haistfu wrote:Bahahaha!

In HoL.

I will have you know that I've gotten a 38k crit without hitting moar than 1 mobxorz. Cause execute is awesome.
uhhhh fuck.

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:19 am UTC

Execute is cheating.

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:20 am UTC

YESYESYESYESYES

today was good trinket day

http://www.wowwiki.com/Loatheb%27s_Shadow

http://www.wowwiki.com/Fury_of_the_Five_Flights

loatheb's shadow will be my pvp trinket and fury is probably the second best dps trinket in the game. hawwwwwwwwt.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:21 am UTC

Yeah http://www.wowwiki.com/Fury_of_the_Five_Flights is fucking awesome, esp for rogues. Now all you need is Grim Toll.

I picked up Inevitable Defeat tonight.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:40 am UTC

My left hand, previously injured with torn tendons, is now mostly healed, so I'm planning on getting back into WoW after a nice three-month hiatus.

I'm torn on which toon to level first (not that I'll be getting WotLK right away... I'll probably just do dailies and whatnot for a month or so since I won't have enough time to really dive in for a little while longer.) I love my Warrior; he's my first toon, made all the way back in November 04, and as a result, he was my first to 60, and also my first to 70. He's also got a lot of stuff tied to him that you really can't get anymore (like a PvP rank, pets, that sort of thing), and has every profession but fishing (I can't stand how boring it is) maxed at 375. Normally, I'd go with him in an instant, especially since Prot's seen so many buffs, and he's been Prot from the start.

But with the changes to Holy, and the overall streamlining of the class, my Pally's looking really enticing, even if it does mean having to play as a frooty little elf. Infusion of Light, Divine Plea, and the changes to Holy Shock just look like a lot of fun.

It's not a matter of what the guild needs, because both tanks and healers are always valuable to have. I'm just not sure which one I want to play more - the pally or the warrior. What do you guys think? What're things like at 80 for them?
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

I hear prot is ridiculously fun and awesome right now.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

It was ridiculously fun and awesome before 3.0, too.

Holy pallies weren't, however. But they do look pretty fun now.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Sandals

Postby Sandals » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

bit late i know, but Battle for the Undercity and it's associates are the BEST CHAIN EVER!!!!

:-)

although i did get rather pissed off on my first go, i died and couldn't get back to my body when in range of Sylvanas' Song, so died again. And again. And a-fucking-gain. every time i tried it. seriously off-putting
Benfrenchman wrote:*I'm not sure why I used rad here... unless.... *checks clock* No, wait, it's not 1997. I guess I'm just an idiot.

podbaydoor wrote:Oral Sex might be the shortstop position.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:46 am UTC

Chiri, Champion of the Frozen Wastes.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

PTR patch notes are up. Man hunters got hit with the nerf stick pretty damn hard. CoH priests are going to be hurting too with the new cooldown (its going to make Malygos' vortex a bit more of a pain in the ass). Doesn't look like that dual spec thing is coming in, in this patch either, which is a tad unfortunate but I guess its going to take a good bit of debugging by blizzard's lazy ass coders to do...

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

Chen could I bother you (or someone else) to copy+paste the patch notes and spoiler them? Can't get to the site atm, and I'm interested.

Gelsamel you need a WoW blog!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:58 pm UTC

Chen wrote:PTR patch notes are up. Man hunters got hit with the nerf stick pretty damn hard. CoH priests are going to be hurting too with the new cooldown (its going to make Malygos' vortex a bit more of a pain in the ass). Doesn't look like that dual spec thing is coming in, in this patch either, which is a tad unfortunate but I guess its going to take a good bit of debugging by blizzard's lazy ass coders to do...

As far as I know Malygos's Vortex being so crazy was a response to CoH and WG being so strong. I remember them saying that they kept upping the damage to keep in line with CoH and WG and now they've decided that the problem isn't vortex, it's CoH/WG and so I'm sure they'll probably drop the damage on Vortex down just a bit.

As for hunter nerfs: On live my friend in half purps outdpses me by 500-1000dps by spamming steady shot + smart use of CDs.

Gelsamel you need a WoW blog!

I don't think I do xD.

Edit: Oh by the way, I found an OLD OLD OLD OLD video of my OLD OLD guild at level 60 (one of those ones that kicks you out if you aggro the imps near Lucy's room type guilds). http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9033&hl=en
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:Chen could I bother you (or someone else) to copy+paste the patch notes and spoiler them? Can't get to the site atm, and I'm interested.

Unfortunately I'm at work and also cannot get access to the patch notes. I had checked em last night but just hadn't posted about them yet. I suppose I could do a google search and see if I can find any sites that arent blocked but that'll need to wait til lunch :P

Return to “Gaming”