WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chen

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Chen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:19 am UTC

A ret pally in healing gear will be about as effective as a prot pally in ret gear for any fight you don't horribly overgear. Its fairly similar for most classes. A feral druid is going to have a hell of a time healing and a resto druid is going to have a very hard time tanking.

Gold is simple to obtain and respecs are a hearth/portal and summon away in any raid environment. There's no reason every spec should be perfectly viable performing offspec roles. With the dual spec system coming out this is even more true. Talents are supposed to mean something. 80% of a dps specs damage as an offspec would mean that the 50 or so points in a talent tree provide a grand total of 20% dps? Thats a pretty terrible return.

There's no reason to level as a poor soloing spec unless you plan on exclusively instancing for leveling. Unless you're doing some hardcore grinding the difference in speed for completely say a daily quest is going to be fairly insignificant regardless of spec, especially with a lot of the daily quests not requiring kills and/or being on vehicles (like the wyrmrest ones).

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:39 am UTC

Chen wrote:There's no reason to level as a poor soloing spec unless you plan on exclusively instancing for leveling. Unless you're doing some hardcore grinding the difference in speed for completely say a daily quest is going to be fairly insignificant regardless of spec, especially with a lot of the daily quests not requiring kills and/or being on vehicles (like the wyrmrest ones).

Which is why Bliz wants to change it, because that makes everyone spec ret and not have any healers for instancing while leveling up.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:01 am UTC

Actually, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, because there are very few classes and specs whose entire role is DPS and nothing else. Retardins, for example, also bring the MP regen (Judgements of the Wise) and group-healing (Divine Storm and The Art of War procs) to the table, along with their DPS. Fury Warriors bring Rampage, Arms Warriors bring Trauma and Blood Frenzy, etc.

Look at it a different way. With Sheath of Light (which emulates Healing Light and Divine Guidance) and The Art of War (which emulates Infusion of Light), a Retardin is a very capable healer; I wouldn't be all that surprised if he could pull out HPS equivalent to 70-80% of mine as Holy, and I don't have a problem with that. Ret doesn't have the necessary MP conservation talents or a lot of the functionality talents that a full-spec Holy would have, and so could never truly replace one... but they're still capable as healers.

Why can't my Holy paladin be a kickass healer and still be reasonably capable in a DPS role? You're putting a double standard down, and that's not fair.

EDIT: Off-spec people can still fill roles their class is designed for, some better than others. Any DK can still tank just fine, even though UH puts out more teeps, while Frost takes less damage. Any Warrior can tank just fine. Any Druid can tank reasonably well, and heal pretty well. Any Pally can heal fairly well, and can tank decently (Holy can produce reasonable teeps with Holy Shock spamming, Ret can do so with SoComm/SoB.) No, they aren't gonna be a replacement and it's gonna be a lot harder with them spec'd for the wrong role, but it can be done... just like you can 3-man pretty much any 5-man instance and do just fine; in fact, it's probably more fun that way.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:24 am UTC

And for those who are curious, I'll post my spec for you. I love my Holy paladin, just wish he could put out some more DPS (personally I think giving Holy a talent that extended Exorcism to Humanoids, Elementals, and Beasts, to coincide with the bonuses from Crusade in Retribution would fix it just fine, and make Glyph of Exorcism very useful.) I can't link to Wowhead because I'm at work. I'll post one when I get home, and correct the talent order below.

Holy talents - 47 points

5/5 Spiritual Focus
5/5 Divine Intellect
3/3 Healing Light
2/2 Unwavering Faith (Fear/Disorient Reduction... think I got the name wrong here)
1/1 Aura Mastery
5/5 Illumination
2/2 Pure of Heart
3/3 Focused Light
1/1 Divine Favor
1/1 Holy Shock
3/3 Light's Grace
2/2 Infusion of Light
5/5 Holy Guidance
1/3 Sacred Cleansing
2/2 Enlightened Judgements

Retribution talents - 24 points

5/5 Benediction
2/2 Improved Judgement
3/3 Heart of the Crusader
2/2 Pursuit of Justice
5/5 Conviction
3/3 Sacred Seals
2/2 Eye for an Eye
2/2 Divine Purpose

The build is focused specifically on PvP, hence the lack of bacon. I heal normal instances just fine; I'll probably respec to a more normal Holy/Prot build for heroics and raiding. Group healing isn't too much of a chore, though people will occasionally die, usually due to them being too inattentive (standing in void zones) or stupid (not assisting the tank.) I don't think anyone's died because I couldn't keep them up.

I like my performance in PvP. Divine Purpose and Pursuit of Justice kiting (JoJ them and then start running... because you're moving at 115% while moving at 100%, you'll clear melee range in about two or three seconds) makes it extremely hard to lock me down, especially for Rogues. Pursuit of Justice also limits how much danger I feel from Dismantle... if I can stay out of melee range, I don't need to bubble for it, which is what a lot of Rogues use it for.

Conviction and Sacred Seals make up for the loss of Holy Power in Holy, and Sacred Seals prevents my seals from being stripped, which ensures I'll always be able to judge. Enlightened Judgements allows me to judge up to 40 yd, which helps in preventing people from fleeing, for forcing them into combat early (very useful for denying Warriors their Charge), and allows me to keep Justice or Light up on a target while remaining safely behind my pillar.

Eye for an Eye was a great talent before, but now it's downright amazing. Combined with the new scaling Retribution Aura, Rogues and kitties damn near kill themselves for you.

Sacred Cleansing and Aura Mastery are just trash talents I picked up with the leftover two points. Sacred Cleansing doesn't proc too often at only 10%, but it's great when it does; makes it extremely hard for Rogues to keep you snared and for DKs to keep you diseased.

I use Glyph of Seal of Wisdom, Glyph of Turn Evil, and Glyph of Holy Light as my major glyphs, and Glyph of the Wise, Glyph of Lay on Hands, and Glyph of Blessing of Wisdom for my minors. I usually use Seal of Wisdom, though I use Seal of Corruption when I'm solo. Glyph of Turn Evil is necessary for keeping felpuppies and ghouls off my back (I use a focus macro for it.) Glyph of Holy Light mostly sucks now, though it'll be better in 308... it's still mostly just trash, though. Pallies, unfortunately, don't have very many good glyphs. I may replace it with Glyph of Seal of Light for increased heeps.

On enchants and gemming:

I use Potent gems (crit and spellpower) in my red and yellow slots, and the new STA/INT gems in my blue slots (they're green, but I forget what they're called... the blue version is 8 INT 12 STA and they go for 15g on my server.) I use Hand-Mounted Pyro Rockets on my gloves, Nitro Boosts on my boots, STA/SP spellthread on my pants, Flexweave Underlay on my cloak. I've got my chest enchanted with +8 stats, though I may switch to Resilience, if there's an LK version out there yet (haven't seen one.) Bracers are spellpower. Belt features Belt-Clipped Spynoculars and an Eternal Belt Buckle and sports a Potent gem. Meta gem is INT and mana on spellcast; if it stacks with Unwavering Faith, I'll probably swap to one with Fear reduction. Helm and shoulder enchants will be SP/Resil when I get them.

Weapons use either +50 SP or +63 SP. Shield uses STA (HP is more necessary than MP.)
Everyone wants a slice.™

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:26 am UTC

Okay guys, I am after some guild advice.

A bunch of people from my previous guild jumped ship with me and my boy to start up our own guild. We've got everything setup - bank tab (working on more), tabard, website etc etc. We want a bunch more high leveled players so we can get together a raid team but I figure generally just having more members is a good thing to start with. So, aside from setting up a macro to post your guild spiel in trade, are there any good ways of expanding your guild numbers? Any particular way we should be wording our advertising?
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:35 am UTC

I think the best way is to not have a fail guild name. But then what's fail to some people isn't to others.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:39 am UTC

Guild name is <Defense of the Ancients>, DotA for short.

I invited one guy to the guild the other day and his first comment was "Love the guild name!" and it's sparked some notice in trade, we just need members.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:02 am UTC

run heroics, spread the word.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:36 am UTC

jmrz wrote:Guild name is <Defense of the Ancients>, DotA for short.

I invited one guy to the guild the other day and his first comment was "Love the guild name!" and it's sparked some notice in trade, we just need members.

to prove gelsamel's point, I don't LIKE DotA. but that's a place for a different thread.

on another note, respecced arms, and am now arenaing with my guild. Our gear? PvE quest greens/blues/pve purples.
so far, 2 wins/8 losses but hey, that's enough points to buy hateful gloves on Tuesday.
uhhhh fuck.

Chen

Postby Chen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:37 am UTC

jmrz wrote:Okay guys, I am after some guild advice.

A bunch of people from my previous guild jumped ship with me and my boy to start up our own guild. We've got everything setup - bank tab (working on more), tabard, website etc etc. We want a bunch more high leveled players so we can get together a raid team but I figure generally just having more members is a good thing to start with. So, aside from setting up a macro to post your guild spiel in trade, are there any good ways of expanding your guild numbers? Any particular way we should be wording our advertising?

Run pug raids. Try to bring a fair number of non-guilded people and see if ya can get the good ones to join you. Do the same with pugging heroics. Advertise on the blizzard Guild recruitment forums and your Realm Forum.

On another note you can no longer spell steal the Bone shield off the Death Knight Cavaliers in Naxx. Used to be an alternative method for tanking Razuvious (since the bone shield absorbs something like 1.2 million damage). However a recent video showed a mage soloing the entire DK wing in Naxx by dragging the cavaliers with him and after that it got nerfed into the ground. Kinda funny though.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:26 am UTC

Midnight wrote:
jmrz wrote:Guild name is <Defense of the Ancients>, DotA for short.

to prove gelsamel's point, I don't LIKE DotA. but that's a place for a different thread.

Yeah I pretty much wouldn't join a guild called that because I hate DotA too. I wouldn't know how good the name is if I didn't hate DotA, because I do hate it...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:54 am UTC

W00t!
Paradigm pwned Thadius tonight, along with Saph and KT. After our epic winnings, we pwned 25 OS (tried to do it with egg drake up, and we failed so did it 3 drakes down)
Attachments
killshot.jpg
killshot for KT
killshot.jpg (241.06 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:58 am UTC

OS1drake took us 14mins to do.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:01 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:OS1drake took us 14mins to do.

Nice, we were having issues with keeping track of the red poo and too many adds, but we one shot KT and Saph, which is awesome. We only wiped twice on OS1drake, and we said fuck it, lets just do it 3 drakes down.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:04 am UTC

OS1drake you need to burn Tenebron ASAP. You need to heroism and blow all cooldowns, ignore the twilight realm and just fuck him up as quick as you can.

I think I did like 5000 DPS or so on that fight because of all the AoE I could consistently put out for the whole 14mins.

Edit: Well it took 14mins because a lot of our peeps died I think.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:11 am UTC

I see, I'll mention that to some of the raid leaders. A lot of people were being caught in the tsunami, which shouldn't be happening
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:I see, I'll mention that to some of the raid leaders. A lot of people were being caught in the tsunami, which shouldn't be happening

We do it the same way normally, we never go down to the twilight realm for Tenebron because even with a lot of AoE it's hard to get all the eggs down and it just wastes time. When we kill tenebron he usually only gets 1 or maybe 2 sets of eggs before he dies, although it's a bit more during Sarth+Tenebron due to dodging and stuff.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:28 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Babamthegrunt wrote:I see, I'll mention that to some of the raid leaders. A lot of people were being caught in the tsunami, which shouldn't be happening

We do it the same way normally, we never go down to the twilight realm for Tenebron because even with a lot of AoE it's hard to get all the eggs down and it just wastes time. When we kill tenebron he usually only gets 1 or maybe 2 sets of eggs before he dies, although it's a bit more during Sarth+Tenebron due to dodging and stuff.

Yeah we never jump in during Tenebron, although one time we had one of the disciples drakes at 10k, portal opened and only one person jumped in out of habit, and when we killed Tenebron but the disciple wasn't down, he was stuck in the twilight realm and we couldn't summon him out and he had to re-log. Good thing he was a pally or he couldn't of bubbled/healed and ran to the door.
Hehe good times good times.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:30 am UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:W00t!
Paradigm pwned Thadius tonight, along with Saph and KT. After our epic winnings, we pwned 25 OS (tried to do it with egg drake up, and we failed so did it 3 drakes down)

i wish our dps was good enough to down thaddius. i hate carrying bads :/

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:01 am UTC

Apparently, GMs have a 'grace period' during which they can reimburse emblems for items bought.

FoS

Postby FoS » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:32 am UTC

Word of mouth is still a very good method of guild recruitment.
If people know your guild tag and recognise it as a good guild you'll get recruits.

The idea of organising pug raids is a good one but make sure you know the strats, have the mods necessary for Raiding and know how to lead the Raid.
Nothing puts people off more then a badly organised Raid.

I don't pug anymore since I'm a Tank so guildies will ask me to tank for them from time to time (sometimes for their pugs) and I've left pug Raids because the leadership didn't have a clue.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:14 am UTC

Haistfu wrote:Apparently, GMs have a 'grace period' during which they can reimburse emblems for items bought.

gms are amazing. years ago I had used the following to make my world of warcraft account:

father's email address
fake name
my own debit card

SO when I accidentally deleted alchemy instead of herbalism a few months ago(i was gonna go smithing for a skillherald, then I went against it, stayed alch/herb) I spend a solid week talking to BILLING, talking to GMS.

apparently there's a character reset they can do--setting certain aspects of your character back in time. IE your professions. But I had to change the account's email address to access the confirmation email, change the fake name (and their way of changing identity requires photo ID and stuff, but people under 18 can't pay for accounts; they didn't know they were using a 16-year old's card)
but in the END I convinced a nice billing-man and he changed it but still told me to fix it "Someday". and then later I spoke to the third in-game GM to send me the FINAL confirmation email (She said that you have a very limited amount of character resets, but wouldn't give me a number, so I'm guessing 2 or 3)
and that's where I learned that GMs are not
1) asexual. I said "sir you are a god among men" and she was like "Well, that's odd, because I'm a woman
2) without sense of humor
3) made of spellcheckers (she had TYPOS, man! she missed CAPITALIZATION, sometimes! she said "WHO'S card is paying" instead of WHOSE.)

so yeah. because of these specific aspects-of-character resets, I'm sure that they can reimburse emblems for items if you didn't want the item.
uhhhh fuck.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:50 am UTC

Haistfu wrote:Apparently, GMs have a 'grace period' during which they can reimburse emblems for items bought.

It's about 3 hours, give or take. Apparently people STILL don't check what they're buying, even though Blizzard added a "Are you absolutely, positively SURE you want THIS item for these currencies?" box.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:55 am UTC

I'm not too sure on the 3 hours bit. Did you get that from a GM?

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:21 am UTC

GMs are not

too true. GM's are a pleasure to talk to, and i always throw in some offbeat question when they ask "Can i do anything else for you today?"

spoiler tag related:
Spoiler:

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:24 am UTC

Haistfu wrote:I'm not too sure on the 3 hours bit. Did you get that from a GM?

Yep. I was one of those stupid people that bought Scaled instead of Ornamented before they added that little box. The GM I talked to denied my request, said it had to be made within a couple hours of the error. So, probably two or three hours.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:1) asexual. I said "sir you are a god among men" and she was like "Well, that's odd, because I'm a woman
3) made of spellcheckers (she had TYPOS, man! she missed CAPITALIZATION, sometimes! she said "WHO'S card is paying" instead of WHOSE.)

so yeah. because of these specific aspects-of-character resets, I'm sure that they can reimburse emblems for items if you didn't want the item.

... 1) That's not actually odd at all, a God among men need not be male itself.
2)True, sometimes I feel like filling out a ticket on some utterly minor issue just so I can have someone to talk to when the GC is silent.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:... 1) That's not actually odd at all, a God among men need not be male itself.

Courtesy of Princeton:
god -- a man of such superior qualities that he seems like a deity to other people; "he was a god among men"

vs.

goddess -- a female deity

jmrz

Postby jmrz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

FoS wrote:Word of mouth is still a very good method of guild recruitment.
If people know your guild tag and recognise it as a good guild you'll get recruits.

The idea of organising pug raids is a good one but make sure you know the strats, have the mods necessary for Raiding and know how to lead the Raid.
Nothing puts people off more then a badly organised Raid.

I don't pug anymore since I'm a Tank so guildies will ask me to tank for them from time to time (sometimes for their pugs) and I've left pug Raids because the leadership didn't have a clue.

Yeah, I went along on two PUG raids on Monday because some guildies asked - Raid Leader was incredibly hopeless, was constantly swearing and shouting at the raid members and had pretty much no idea what he was doing. We did a gruul's run, he asked me to mage tank, then decided that no, let the warlock mage tank. Because that made sense. We all wiped, all rezzed, were waiting for everyone to regen and some guy walked straight into everyone and aggro'd. I left after that. NEVER AGAIN.

RE: my guild.

I've set up a bunch of macros and post them in trade whenever I am in a major city. I also throw them out in general every now and again while I'm questing. It has worked really well so far. We have 42 members now and 19 of them are over 70. We have four level 80's, I'm at 77 and my boyfriend (the GM), is nearly at 76. We have our 10man Naxx team worked out and once we all hit 80 we'll be running heroics and that to get geared. I am really happy with the guild recruitment and everyone that's come in so far has liked how we run the place and all that.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:35 am UTC

Sounds good. Here's hoping it survives first contact with NX.
Everyone wants a slice.™

FoS

Postby FoS » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:36 am UTC

Some Asshole wrote:Sounds good. Here's hoping it survives first contact with NX.

First contact with Naxx shouldn't be an issue. The fights are fun, especially if you've never been there before.

First contact with Thaddius 25man is the hairy bit. You need all 25 people to be focused.

We returned to Naxx last night and had a real rollercoaster Raid. We started with Military before the lag set in but it did it's inevitable and caught up with us leading to some very amusing boss fights.
On Loatheb, we got an insane spike at killed about 20% of the Raid. We still one shotted him but I was DPS'ing and ended up 3rd because so many of our dps died.
Still we did well considering we had 22 people and horrible lag with a good portion cleared for tonight.

I also, finally got Inevitable Defeat so I'm one happy DK.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:41 am UTC

The paths forged by successful guilds are littered with the shattered corpses of guilds that said they'd be great but, once there, turned out to be nothing at all.

I SPEEK PURDY.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

For four years I have been on lightnings blade without a que; the server has always been in medium status. Now, at around 7PM EST we've got 200-600 person ques. Has this happened to anyone else? Also, Dalaran is a poorly-designed laggy deathtrap.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

I had similar a few days ago. Thunderhorn-EU used to be a high-population server in pre-TBC days; it got a free character transfer allocation. Several Sunday nights in the Molten Core era would have 10 minute queues and massive lag times. Moving onto TBC content, I think population gradually declined, so much so we were listed as a Recommended server. Now in WotLK I experienced my first queued login in over a year; wasn't that huge, but extraordinary to see it.

What is rather annoying with WotLK though is the error message "No additional instances can be loaded, please try again later." The huge diversity of levelling and heroic'ing instances is massive these days, not to mention the "Azeroth Dungeonmaster" "Classic Raider" achievements and all the 80's solo-farming and taking a dedicated instance each time.

Battlegrounds are really screwed over these days. I've yet to fully experience Strand of the Ancients and get a proper perspective of it. 90% of games the Alliance lands with 12 or so players, Horde defending with 3, Alliance takes relic with a blitzkrieg, game ends abruptly mid-second round due to 5 minute timer. I do love hopping on a driven Demolisher and firing away with my crossbow at pursuing Death Knights, that's fun. Hopefully the dedicated 80 bracket is more intense...

I'm also rather saddened by the demise in Alterac Valley. It's been dying a slow death for 2 years now, with attempts at invigoration making it a shadow of its former self, but the current status is depressing. Cyclone-EU matches feature 40 Alliance crammed into their tunnels from the get-go. We're lucky if more than 20 Horde are chilling in AV per game. Yes the 8 minute blitz is fun and an influx of 2000 base honour per match is appreciated, but still not epic.
What's worse is the removal of AV marks from the Concerted Efforts quest, replacing it with SotA. For flux sake, AV is the BG that always sits capped at 100 in my tokens page; I bought tabard and mount prior to Burning Crusade so I can't buy anything worthwhile with it, except minor upgrades to my previous Vindicator's gear, which will be replaced by Swiftarrow. Hopefully a Season 6 will use the Marks of Honour for purchase of Hateful/Deadly sets; as it stands, all I can do with AV marks is complete my mount collection.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

I played WoW about 4 years ago and leveled up to a 30 undead warlock before I quit.

I am thinking of playing again and had a question.

I will be soloing the whole time because of massive time constraints and want to play a warrior or a paladin.
Any recommendations on what race to pick? (I want to be alliance)
I like tauren for the look,
Dwarf for the perks, and considering human cause I heard they have better stealth detection.

Which class can effectively solo the fastest and best?

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

I'd say human.

You have extra expertise with swords/maces, faster rep gain and an ability that exactly mimics a pvp trinket.

Night elf is also nice for soloing now that Shadowmeld is essentially a feign death. More chance to dodge is nice too.

Purky

Postby Purky » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

Draenai warriors are also pretty good due to the +1% hit racial ability and Gift of the Naaru, although not great, is nice to have.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:27 am UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I played WoW about 4 years ago and leveled up to a 30 undead warlock before I quit.

I am thinking of playing again and had a question.

I will be soloing the whole time because of massive time constraints and want to play a warrior or a paladin.
Any recommendations on what race to pick? (I want to be alliance)
I like tauren for the look,
Dwarf for the perks, and considering human cause I heard they have better stealth detection.

Which class can effectively solo the fastest and best?

Ixtellor

I'd say Naaru for pally, Dwarf for Warr.
But then, my only Ally past 20 is a Gnome Rogue.

So it looks like my Lock's reached the point where all I can do by myself anymore is the Dailies (Cycling through Brunnhildar, Hodir and Oracles, so, pretty much just going for mounts, about halfway to Epic Flight)

Anyone got any tips on getting to proper endgame content when without a guild? I'm in a guild atm but we just set it up for a small group of friends 3 of us) and the other two aren't playing atm.
I feel like I should stay in, but I fear the prospect of PUG and really cbf hanging out in Dalaran if that's what it takes.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

jmrz

Postby jmrz » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:35 am UTC

What level is your lock and what server are you on!

(Forums: useful for shameless guild recruitment!)

But seriously, I wouldn't go anywhere near a PUG if you want some kind of consistent end game material to play with that wont be a major epic fail half the time. If you really want to participate in end game material, find a raiding guild - either casual or srs bsns. Up to you which way you want to go - but that's what I'd do.

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:25 am UTC

If you're a worthwhile player simply not being in a guild and running heroics will land you in a good guild in no time (providing you hold the people approaching you to some sort of standard.

Return to “Gaming”