WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chen
Posts: 5565
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Chen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

The authenticators are pretty damn cheap and make the account almost impossible to hack. Good computer practices and whatnot are clearly the better option but no one is perfect. Our GM only gives officers access to the gold in the guild bank if they have an authenticator too. Seems like a prudent approach.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

LOL, with Starfall alone I'm surprised how that moonkin isn't pulling at least 8k if he's being retarded. I love Valithria since I usually end up sitting at ~13k.

With that said, target switching for a moonkin sucks. Gotta reapply one DoT and lose some time off eclipse procs, it's annoying.

My 80 shaman, in 2 days or so got him to 4500 gs.

And at 4500 GS, he's still more fun in pvp than the 6.1k GS moonkin. FS>LAVABURST BAM>CHAIN LIGHTNING FROST SHOCK BAM. So much burst in such a short time window.

PvE wise, elemental DPS sucks though, but the spells are so purrty; I never get tired of chain lightning lol.

As for DK's, I got mine to 80 a while ago. They got a steep learning curve if you want to maximize them for DPS. For tanking, it'll take you a while to gear him up. They're pretty strong in PvP though, you perform well against anything so long as you can get a good weapon. They're pretty fun regardless.

I'd stick with a caster, though. They're far less healer dependent.

As for PUGs, it only gets worse. Find yourself a good guild ASAP. Either way, I dislike the WoW community with a fervent passion. It's so shitty compared to the community in Guild Wars or FFXI. On my shaman I got Occulus and the tank that came in just queued to grief, so he just sat at the beginning for 15 minutes while trolling since you can't kick someone for the first 15 minutes; and if you leave, you get the 30 min debuff. And then you get entitled tanks and healers who either leave as soon as they come in, or they think they're the shit when in fact they're outright incompetent.

What I'm saying is, if I stop playing, it won't be because of content. I just dislike what the community has evolved into in that game.
Last edited by Lucrece on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: WoWzers!

Postby meatyochre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

I won't pick my shaman back up until they completely remove the cooldown from chain lightning. Cause then I will never cast anything except that and lava burst! I love the aesthetic appeal of shaman spells.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby ProZac » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:LOL, with Starfall alone I'm surprised how that moonkin isn't pulling at least 8k if he's being retarded. I love Valithria since I usually end up sitting at ~13k.

Pretty sure neither of our boomkins took starfall (which I don't understand). I also don't know where you're getting the large numbers, at least on 10 man. Our best dps each pulled about 8k, but that's all single target. There's not much to AoE on 10 man Valithria (says the guy who's only dps'd it once on normal).

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:
Lucrece wrote:LOL, with Starfall alone I'm surprised how that moonkin isn't pulling at least 8k if he's being retarded. I love Valithria since I usually end up sitting at ~13k.

Pretty sure neither of our boomkins took starfall (which I don't understand). I also don't know where you're getting the large numbers, at least on 10 man. Our best dps each pulled about 8k, but that's all single target. There's not much to AoE on 10 man Valithria (says the guy who's only dps'd it once on normal).



If they didn't take Starfall they need the boot. It's the one single largest active DPS boost a moonkin has post 3.3.

It's mainly positioning. I can pull 10k single target at least, starfall, only inflates the figure even more if you time it for at least 3 mobs out at a time. It's a really strong ability, and passing on it is blasphemy.

Regardless of what you do, a moonkin in a hardmodes guild should NOT be doing 3k. 9k is low end average for a moonkin, and mages should have no trouble maintaining 11k. Upper ends around 11-12k for a moonkin, 13-14k for a mage.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
FoS
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby FoS » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:11 am UTC

Skipping Starfall pretty much is in instant indication the player has no idea about his class/spec.

I finally got my 4th and final piece of T10.264 so now I've got almost nothing to get with Badges. Since my Offspec is Feral DPS I could gather up more T10 for when I DPS but I don't think it's worth the time investment.

We're hitting hardmodes on 25man now so hopefully BQ and Saurfang should be on farm and then I can start upgrading to 277 T10.

We spent last night on Festergut. We kept hitting the enrage timer because of idiots dying and then towards the end of the evening we lost a player and had no replacements available.
We definitely made progress but we should have gotten him last night.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Veora » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:34 am UTC

Vanguard wrote:Just got mine last night!

Big wave of hacked friends on the server I'm on.
I'm glad I finally got my bike, no real way they can set me back by deleting all the materials and crap. It's there forever.

I don't have an authenticator but I'm also not worried because I avoid shady links and I didn't bother to download the Cataclysm Alpha (Sandbox, it's called?)... So I think I might be safe.

Authenticator was broken with a man-in-the-middle attack anyway, their useless now :p
<Witty and funny signature here>

Chen
Posts: 5565
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Chen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:46 am UTC

Veora wrote:Authenticator was broken with a man-in-the-middle attack anyway, their useless now :p


You'd need some pretty robust scripting to get into the account before the person in question realizes they didn't get into the account. If it gets compromised you also know practically immediately unlike a keylogger which can lay dormant until the person decides to log in and change your details.

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Veora » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Veora wrote:Authenticator was broken with a man-in-the-middle attack anyway, their useless now :p


You'd need some pretty robust scripting to get into the account before the person in question realizes they didn't get into the account. If it gets compromised you also know practically immediately unlike a keylogger which can lay dormant until the person decides to log in and change your details.

True! but i've been hacked 3 times, and each time was a huge profit for not playing for a few days 8)
<Witty and funny signature here>

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby ProZac » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:54 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Regardless of what you do, a moonkin in a hardmodes guild should NOT be doing 3k. 9k is low end average for a moonkin, and mages should have no trouble maintaining 11k. Upper ends around 11-12k for a moonkin, 13-14k for a mage.

Alas, that's the "We're casual, but we want to play like we're hardcore" guild I find myself in. Oh well, that's changing in Cata. And I don't know where you get your dps numbers, but either you inflate them/take best possible scenario, or assume 25 man gear full buffs. Last week we had a pug from top guild on server (heroic 25-LK down), had some heroic-25 gear and she wasn't pulling excessively high dps over our top. I don't see how anyone in a 10 man guild/gear is breaking 10k dps unless we're talking top few % of players or have some amazing synergy going on.

Chen
Posts: 5565
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Chen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Alas, that's the "We're casual, but we want to play like we're hardcore" guild I find myself in. Oh well, that's changing in Cata. And I don't know where you get your dps numbers, but either you inflate them/take best possible scenario, or assume 25 man gear full buffs. Last week we had a pug from top guild on server (heroic 25-LK down), had some heroic-25 gear and she wasn't pulling excessively high dps over our top. I don't see how anyone in a 10 man guild/gear is breaking 10k dps unless we're talking top few % of players or have some amazing synergy going on.


10k on a single target should be easily doable in 10 man gear especially with a 20% buff. Unless you're missing the major buffs (windfury, sunder, 10% AP, spellpower buff etc) your good dps classes should have no real issue breaking 10k on a stationary fight (saurfang or festergut would be good examples). 10k dps is only ~8300 pre-buff. I'm certain we had people breaking that in 25 man ToGC which should be similar if not worse gear than what people doing 10 man heroics now, should have.

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby ProZac » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

Ah, see, I don't consider "Stationary" a typical fight. If we're talking Stationary, yes, breaking 10k is nothing for our good dps. I'm thinking on things like Prof, Rotface, Council, etc... I'd say then our best are doing 8-9ish, depending on amount of movement. I guess I just go by "Minimum you pull when requiring consisntent movement" over "Maximum with no moving"

User avatar
Vanguard
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm UTC
Location: Away from you

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Vanguard » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

Losing all my ICC10 gear would suck.
But all my friends who got hacked were semi-rich. After selling all my shit, what would they do with it? One player gave it to a friend but I think that's foolish. Use the gold to help yourself recover.
And another friend only had his tanking equipment sold. Feel free to do that, my tank set sucks anyway.
The only loss would me the massive load of RP gear I have. It's all shit, but it all took some finesse to acquire (more or less. Most of it was stalking the AH for cool looking stuff to wear), my bank is full of vanity crap xD

But, I got my bike. No real way they can hack that out of my pet menu.

I'm pretty mellow. Of course it would suck, but I have the means to recover.
Image

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:40 am UTC

Even in mobility fights you can get those numbers. LK himself, 10man, 10k was not hard to get. And Valithria is pretty damn stationary if you position well. Speaking as ranged, though. It's a bitch for melee since they have to run around all the time for a new target.

And I hear you on the guilds, since I'm sitting on one after retiring from raiding. I joined because of some friend. But I cannot stand them for the life of me, so obnoxious and blatant in the e-thug behavior.

But since I'm not in the position to blow 25 bucks on a paid transfer, I'm out of options. So I cancelled my sub and left my shaman, DK, and druid all prepared at 80 with gathering professions up to date so when I get to test Cata-- and if I choose to stay after the beta (I'm burnt out on Blizzard's balance, just keep hoping they'll get it right the next xpac and so on and so forth)-- I'll decide which toon I'll play in Cata.

My elemental shaman so far has been pretty fun; but man, are they fucking low DPS. A facerolling mage around 200 GS lower can still effortlessly pull ahead by ~1k DPS, and I mean retarded pug mages. Has a lot to do with how absurd arcane blast and missiles are in terms of scaling and mechanics.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Chen
Posts: 5565
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Chen » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:36 am UTC

Vanguard wrote:Losing all my ICC10 gear would suck.
But all my friends who got hacked were semi-rich. After selling all my shit, what would they do with it? One player gave it to a friend but I think that's foolish. Use the gold to help yourself recover.
And another friend only had his tanking equipment sold. Feel free to do that, my tank set sucks anyway.
The only loss would me the massive load of RP gear I have. It's all shit, but it all took some finesse to acquire (more or less. Most of it was stalking the AH for cool looking stuff to wear), my bank is full of vanity crap xD

But, I got my bike. No real way they can hack that out of my pet menu.

I'm pretty mellow. Of course it would suck, but I have the means to recover.


You just need to petition a GM after you've been hacked and you'll get all your stuff back (though it may take some time).

User avatar
Vanguard
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:52 pm UTC
Location: Away from you

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:14 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Vanguard wrote:Losing all my ICC10 gear would suck.
But all my friends who got hacked were semi-rich. After selling all my shit, what would they do with it? One player gave it to a friend but I think that's foolish. Use the gold to help yourself recover.
And another friend only had his tanking equipment sold. Feel free to do that, my tank set sucks anyway.
The only loss would me the massive load of RP gear I have. It's all shit, but it all took some finesse to acquire (more or less. Most of it was stalking the AH for cool looking stuff to wear), my bank is full of vanity crap xD

But, I got my bike. No real way they can hack that out of my pet menu.

I'm pretty mellow. Of course it would suck, but I have the means to recover.


You just need to petition a GM after you've been hacked and you'll get all your stuff back (though it may take some time).


So I hear.
Don't people get unlucky, and get uncooperative GM's every now and then?
Image

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: WoWzers!

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:35 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Even in mobility fights you can get those numbers. LK himself, 10man, 10k was not hard to get. And Valithria is pretty damn stationary if you position well. Speaking as ranged, though. It's a bitch for melee since they have to run around all the time for a new target.

And I hear you on the guilds, since I'm sitting on one after retiring from raiding. I joined because of some friend. But I cannot stand them for the life of me, so obnoxious and blatant in the e-thug behavior.

But since I'm not in the position to blow 25 bucks on a paid transfer, I'm out of options. So I cancelled my sub and left my shaman, DK, and druid all prepared at 80 with gathering professions up to date so when I get to test Cata-- and if I choose to stay after the beta (I'm burnt out on Blizzard's balance, just keep hoping they'll get it right the next xpac and so on and so forth)-- I'll decide which toon I'll play in Cata.

My elemental shaman so far has been pretty fun; but man, are they fucking low DPS. A facerolling mage around 200 GS lower can still effortlessly pull ahead by ~1k DPS, and I mean retarded pug mages. Has a lot to do with how absurd arcane blast and missiles are in terms of scaling and mechanics.

Yeah shamans are so ridiculously bad (ele and resto are all I can speak to but I know enhance isn't probably much better off). A shaman was my first healer to 80 so I got used to it. But once I leveled a paladin to 80, it was like... (imagine me conversing with my ego here):

"Well, self. Not only can your paladin with crappy, ungemmed dungeon ret gear outdps any spec of your shaman in epic gear and gems, but healing as a paladin is way easier, faster-paced, and more fun than healing as a shaman in equal healing gear! Oh, and don't forget pallies can tank, too, in case you get bored of dpsing and healing. Why are you even logging onto your shaman?! Idiot"

It's time for shamans to be OP (in Cat). I won't touch the class again until it is. I mean, seriously, I have 600+ haste on that toon and chain heal STILL has the most ridiculously long cast time. Then I oom constantly if I try to use HW. LHW hits like a pansy and only one person at a time. Whereas my paladin can judge once a minute for a ridic haste boost, bacon the tank, flash heal the fuck out of everything else, and end up with retarded effective healing, no dead party members, and neverevereverever run out of mana. Oh, and auras follow the paladin unlike totems which chain the shaman to them, and paladins are shinier.

/shamanrant
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:03 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:enhance isn't probably much better off


Does about as much as a ret pally.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: WoWzers!

Postby meatyochre » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:10 am UTC

Kag wrote:
meatyochre wrote:enhance isn't probably much better off


Does about as much as a ret pally.

It's been a very long time since I played enhance. Not since I leveled. So I can't agree or disagree except to be churlish. Though I am fairly sure shamans aren't in as good a place as retadins in pvp. Shamans at the very least lack the burst of a ret pally. Again, not speaking to sustained pve damage.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:06 am UTC

I see enhancement shamans considerably lower than ret paladins. They're the weakest melee DPS by far, but they make up for it by combining the raid buffs of DK, hunter, paladin (wisdom, or cleansing/resists totems), along wih the gamechanging Heroism. They're brought for their buffs, not their DPS.

Shamans trounce retadins in arena representation. They have rather viable and plentiful comps. Beastcleave is a rather successful comp, as is any ele shaman comp. Resto shamans are the more limited comp, but even then they still have their few.

By comparison, as a paladin, you are holy, or prot/ret (since ironically prot/ret is about as good offensively with more CC/disruption and way greater survivability than ret).

Holy paladins are just stupid. As it goes, WotLK was definitely their xpac. Oh, wait, they've been the dominant healer in all the xpacs!

Shamans already had their OP period: Vanilla. Those Windfury Hand of Ragnaros one-shot days and AQ geared eleshamans 3-shotting people were disgustingly OP.

Shamans are in a good place in arena, though enhancement and resto could use more survivabilty. By comparison ret pallies had to wait 2 xpacs for any significant improvement.

But, hey, you could be a non-resto druid in PvP. Ferals and Moonkins are still waiting for their time to shine in arenas.

Plus, even if totems and shapeshifting are shitty mechanics that punish the player for boosts other classes don't have to suffer arbitrary hassles for (being chained to a zone, or losing armor/ability use upon shapeshifting), druids and shamans are pretty fun, AND prettier (poor paladins always look like some Power Ranger reject in their sets).
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: WoWzers!

Postby meatyochre » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:10 am UTC

I can barely even remember vanilla anymore. How many years ago was that? A few, given that wow is now several years old. I haven't played every single class to max level, but I do have 6 80s and shaman easily feels like the gimpiest class among them. No spec is particularly powerful at anything. It's fun to blow people off the lumber mill though.. and thunder bluff elevators >.>
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:12 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:I see enhancement shamans considerably lower than ret paladins.


Dunno what your guys are doing. I raid with enhance shammies in comparable gear who do as much dps as myself and the other ret paladin. And math suggests that the two classes top out at pretty much exactly the same level of dps, assuming no shadowmourne.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:25 am UTC

I never get tired of Thunderstorming people to their deaths at the flag center in Eye of The Storm. Only thing left for me to do is make a priest and mind controll people off the Lumbermill cliff in AB forever and ever.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Veora
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 am UTC
Location: Swindon - UK

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Veora » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:23 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:
Kag wrote:
meatyochre wrote:enhance isn't probably much better off


Does about as much as a ret pally.

It's been a very long time since I played enhance. Not since I leveled. So I can't agree or disagree except to be churlish. Though I am fairly sure shamans aren't in as good a place as retadins in pvp. Shamans at the very least lack the burst of a ret pally. Again, not speaking to sustained pve damage.


After playing both in PVP i've got to say, against high-resi targets i think the shaman has the edge for two reasons

1;- PURGE. <3 Really does help alot when trying to burst somone down
2;- Winfury. the random-proc nature of it just really works well, especially if you can get a lightning bolt after its some very nice burst

i found on my pally trying to kill a high-resi healer was just horrible and most of the time futile :(

Edit-

I allways think im terrible at DPSing on my rogue ;*( back in the T8 days i used to have no problems topping the chart, now i barely do 11k >.< (Oathsworn - Aszune (eu) if you wanna riticule me :p)
<Witty and funny signature here>

Chen
Posts: 5565
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Chen » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:12 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:So I hear.
Don't people get unlucky, and get uncooperative GM's every now and then?


Blizzard doesn't want to lose you as a customer. I haven't heard of any issue with Blizzard restoring gear if you were hacked. It takes a couple days to confirm everything (yup he has no gear, no gold and it was all sent to some random account he doesn't own) but once they do I'm fairly sure they always restore the stuff. Its in their best interest to keep you playing and nothing would make someone quit faster than losing everything they've worked for while they played.

Druid talent preview is up on MMO-champ. Some interesting things in the feral tree. I'm interested to see how this Pulverize ability works (it also looks like its going to hit for a shit ton of damage). Looks like more points are needed in resto which is kind of annoying. Still looks like I can make decent DPS and tank trees without really "missing" any talents, despite the fact there are now a TON in the feral tree.

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby ProZac » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:So I hear.
Don't people get unlucky, and get uncooperative GM's every now and then?

GMs are a wonderful bunch. They always want to make sure you have a great day. I always have an added question ready for when they ask "Is there anything else I can help you with?" at the end. Last time I had a GM spend 15 minutes talking to me while we discussed was a 'Naze' was, as in "Gavin's Naze". Next time I intend to find out what a 'Kraul' (Razorfen Kraul) is.

I decided to try 5's with guildies last night. Most of us had next to no resil gear. My god has the landscape changed. I remember beginning of xpac, no resil meant you were a little weaker, but good healing could make up for it. Now you might as well be laughed at. I also forgot how much 5's were just chaotic fights, and how much fun that wasn't. Oh well, fun nifty experiment. Time to run away from pvp again.

User avatar
FoS
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby FoS » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

I really don't get why people are QQing about Elemental and Enhance. They both seem to be doing pretty damn well.
We've got 2 players in our guild playing each of those specs and doing really well on the meters. If anything they could do better if they were a little better at staying alive.
Having Raided in as Enhance I know their issue is more just not always moving correctly, etc killing them but hey, thats what Ankh is for :P

We're busy working on Saurfang 25 HC at the mo.

Urk. much tougher then 10man HC. Much.
Tank taunting is looking really good but we're still hitting first Mark at 75%. I've been doing a ton of research and the 2 things i can think of that are the biggest culprits are movement amongst the Ranged bringing people too close and Pallies not using BoP early on.

Any recommendations from anyone?
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Chen
Posts: 5565
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Chen » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

FoS wrote:We're busy working on Saurfang 25 HC at the mo.

Urk. much tougher then 10man HC. Much.
Tank taunting is looking really good but we're still hitting first Mark at 75%. I've been doing a ton of research and the 2 things i can think of that are the biggest culprits are movement amongst the Ranged bringing people too close and Pallies not using BoP early on.

Any recommendations from anyone?


The ranged should not move at all. Put the healers in the melee clump. This leaves all the ranged able to spread out in the rest of the area. Make it so that they all have assigned blood beast targets. A solid ranged dps should be able to solo a blood beast at this point (20% buff). For the more backloaded classes (e.g., Shadow priests) we double up on adds. We have a warlock use Shadowfury when adds spawn and then have a moonkin knock them back when the stun wears off. If you don't have a moonkin, 2 elemental shaman alternating works too. Have Paladin's heal the marked people (each paladin can cover 2 marks, most other healers will have their hands pretty full with one). Tanks should use cooldowns when he's at high blood power, especially later in the fight when marks are ticking. On our first kill I think only the Shadowfury warlock (and the tanks) were below 10k dps, so thats a solid benchmark to aim for. I think that was with 5 healers, possibly 4 if we stacked pallies, it was a while ago.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

FoS wrote:I really don't get why people are QQing about Elemental and Enhance. They both seem to be doing pretty damn well.
We've got 2 players in our guild playing each of those specs and doing really well on the meters. If anything they could do better if they were a little better at staying alive.
Having Raided in as Enhance I know their issue is more just not always moving correctly, etc killing them but hey, thats what Ankh is for :P


I'm inclined to agree, it really doesn't seem like any class/spec is in a bad spot right now. There are better and worse classes, but the difference is nothing like it was in Sunwell.

We're busy working on Saurfang 25 HC at the mo.

Urk. much tougher then 10man HC. Much.
Tank taunting is looking really good but we're still hitting first Mark at 75%. I've been doing a ton of research and the 2 things i can think of that are the biggest culprits are movement amongst the Ranged bringing people too close and Pallies not using BoP early on.

Any recommendations from anyone?

We usually get our first mark around 72-73, (we run 6 healers, and this was 15% buff since I haven't been on for the kill since 20% hit). Like Chen said, a pally can take 2 marks each (beacon one, spam another). A druid *COULD* do 2, but they really have to be on their game and can't really miss a GCD (ie no emergency heals to help other healers), better to let them have one and keep hots up on everybody else. I can't speak for priests or shamans ability to handle 2, but it's definitely helpful if the shaman is healing people in the melee group so they can CH the tanks.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
FoS
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby FoS » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:08 am UTC

We spent the entire evening on Saurfang last night, excluding 40min of Strat talk at the start of the Raid, but we got damn close to a kill.

We're consistently hitting our first Mark around 70-75% and we've got our Pallies BoPing etc to reduce his gains.
We've positioned all the ranged carefully so they keep their movement to a minimum and we've got our only Holy Pally handling 2 (one 1 attempt 3) Marks.
We're also putting Soul Stones on 2 of our Ret Pallies so that they can DI a Marked target and then Rez to reduce Mark healing if possible.

Our healing line up is currently not at it's strongest though because 2 of our really great healers (1 of which is a Holy Pally) are not able to raid due to PC/Line issues and I think thats whats killing us.

We keep losing a Marked target around the 10% point.

However, the guild can smell blood in the water and everyone is super keen to push on. We ended up raiding longer then normal last night because people didn't want to stop at the usual cut off time which is a good sign.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Chen
Posts: 5565
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Chen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:30 am UTC

How's your dps doing on the fight? It may actually be a lack of dps thats killing you rather than a lack of healing. If you're getting 5 (or less) marks, then yes its a healing issue. Otherwise dps needs to be better. Make sure people (near the end) are using whatever personal safety cooldowns they have.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:53 pm UTC

Chen wrote:How's your dps doing on the fight? It may actually be a lack of dps thats killing you rather than a lack of healing. If you're getting 5 (or less) marks, then yes its a healing issue. Otherwise dps needs to be better. Make sure people (near the end) are using whatever personal safety cooldowns they have.


Also, if you are losing people during the frenzy/enrage, it could be because they got boiling blood while marked, which hurts quite a bit. It might be worth saving some cooldowns for that (whether it be personal like IB/Bubble/Dispersion or external). What I do on my druid is keep all the marks HoTed and mainly focus on my own mark until a marked target gets boiling blood and then I alternate spamming my target and the BB target. Any pally that has BoP's cooldown reduced so they can get two off use their second for this as well, and we raid sac during one as well.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
El Spark
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:34 pm UTC
Location: Lower nowhere

Re: WoWzers!

Postby El Spark » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

Tomorrow I'm going on my very first raid of any kind. I'm quite nervous because, in spite of the fact that we have plenty of people who've raided well up into hard modes, I'm basically a talented newb at this point. I'm geared as well as we can get without raids, and I'm a good enough discipline priest that a random teammate referred to me as a "wizard" in one case, but still...I'm nervous. Here's hoping I don't wipe the team.

I don't mind so much if the team wipes because of the hunter. =P
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

El Spark wrote:Tomorrow I'm going on my very first raid of any kind. I'm quite nervous because, in spite of the fact that we have plenty of people who've raided well up into hard modes, I'm basically a talented newb at this point. I'm geared as well as we can get without raids, and I'm a good enough discipline priest that a random teammate referred to me as a "wizard" in one case, but still...I'm nervous. Here's hoping I don't wipe the team.

I don't mind so much if the team wipes because of the hunter. =P


Don't stand in bad stuff, don't pull adds, the rest should work itself out :) Mostly, have fun!
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
FoS
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby FoS » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:59 am UTC

Chen wrote:How's your dps doing on the fight? It may actually be a lack of dps thats killing you rather than a lack of healing. If you're getting 5 (or less) marks, then yes its a healing issue. Otherwise dps needs to be better. Make sure people (near the end) are using whatever personal safety cooldowns they have.


I'll admit our DPS could be better but our Top DPS are pushing around 12K and I think the lowest are pushing between 7 and 9K which could be better.

People are being told if their DPS is not high enough and we have people we can rotate out so hopefully they'll sort themselves out.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

Alright, so, I've never posted in here before. But here's my story. I started playing in vanilla, the summer before TBC came out. Hit 60 and messed around until TBC--did MC and the first boss in BWL, but that's it. Then TBC came out, I hit 70, and got bored, so I quit WoW after my first year. I played again for like a week the next year because I was bored, but ultimately didn't stick with it. Then, last year, I decided to check out WOTLK, but again didn't stick with it for more than a few days. This year, a friend and I both came out of retirement at the same time, and I did 72-80 in about a week.

I gotta say, I'm really impressed with what they've done with the game. They finally made LFG work, and with shorter dungeons it feels much easier to hop in, run a heroic or two, and take your emblems without having to commit to big chunks of playtime. My talent tree--affliction--has changed a ton but most of the changes I like, or they simplified it. (Although I miss siphon life as a separate dot, kind of.) The questing experience from 70-80 was tons of fun with story and villains and whatnot.

I don't know how long I'll stick around for this one--part of me really, really wants to try and get the Lich King down, but I don't really know what sort of investment would be required to raid that much. Cataclysm is also looking really interesting. I haven't tried PvP yet, but there are a ton of battlegrounds now.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:04 pm UTC

A Cataclysm progress announcement has come out: http://www.wowhead.com/blog=159674

Path of the Titans is being axed, replaced by "Medium Glyphs", a similar non-aligned progression, but not one hinging on grinding out the archaeology second profession. Archaeology is sticking around, but is less min-max'ing essential to grind up.

Heroic SFK/Deadmines on the back-burner, might not make release.

Guild talent trees axed. Still bonuses for guild advancement and progression, but not determined by a talent tree, and all will get the same stuff. Guildies with greater activity for the guild progression get more access to the unlockables.

I think I'm quite fine with the third one. When I saw the initial preview, and the implication that not all talents could be attained in one build, I just foresaw tonnes of drama over "why guild master doth thou chooseth Plus One Percent Experience over Plus Point One Percent Change Of Thunderfury?" decisions.

User avatar
aaron
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:43 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby aaron » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I don't know how long I'll stick around for this one--part of me really, really wants to try and get the Lich King down, but I don't really know what sort of investment would be required to raid that much. Cataclysm is also looking really interesting. I haven't tried PvP yet, but there are a ton of battlegrounds now.


honestly not a whole lot. it took my friend a month to gear up from a fresh 80 to killing LK

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:06 pm UTC

Their alpha is still way into initial stages. Only a view classes have had a couple of talents-- not even the entire builds-- tinkered with, while most function the same as in live. Only the world and quests seem to be moving along in development.

If they do go into beta this soon, it would be a beta that is much more incomplete and in need of iteration than either BC or WotLK.

I'm sad Path of The Titans was scrapped. But talents already figure in enough complexity, as do professions and glyphs.

I'd rather they invest more time in better class balance than introducing one more thing into the mix that has made class balance hard for them to achieve. Especially PvP.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
aaron
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:43 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby aaron » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:39 am UTC

just gonna epeen here real fast

http://i45.tinypic.com/x3zj9z.jpg

<3 my new heroic ikfirus sack


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests